I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fight.

He should have been swarmed and restrained (ideally with some prejudice) by that point. That he wasn't is concerning.

Security didn't see what we saw. They show up and there's a guy getting up from the ground claiming he's been choked out. There's no time to take statements. To them, he appears to be angry because he was a victim.

It would if it happened on a cruise ship or an airliner. They get as bad, if not worse, treatment by the press than themeparks.
Even then, there are lots of fights on cruises that never hit the media. Only one I really remember hitting the media was when carnival security looked terrible and stated breaking bottles to use as weapons and kept telling people to stop filming.

Idiots come in all skin colors and get shamed the same. This was an extreme case of family members being ignorant.

What concerns me is the fact that many people on this board think that security taking 3+ mins to "show up" is acceptable enough to make excuses for Disney. We are all (well most all I guess) Disney lovers here, but 3 mins is a VERY long time for this to go on. It is "not" about someone calling security. Sorry..... it simply is not. Disney has leveraged technology and can detect an "issue" and their cast members are everywhere to respond to a code red. For 3+ mins, NO ONE showed up except an older cast member trying to separate those idiots.

I am under no illusion that I would have interfered when the 2 guys were trying to duke it out. I am reasonably sure I would have when I saw the woman being hit. That said, none of the guests should have been put in a position to have to intervene.

There are no good answers here, but Disney does need to take responsibility of faster response to dangerous situations.

Only thing I have to say to about this is I would have taken my kid’s hand and hightailed it away from the area. I don’t know why so many people didn’t do that. One family having their brawl in the open like that isn’t going to be a threat to me because my booty is going to high tail it away. That’s what everyone should have done. We had a family member of a patient go nuts at my hospital the other night threatening staff and scaring all the patients on the floor. Took our security 5 min to show up and this is a major medical center. They got multiple calls that the person was getting violent and still took forever. They were not threatening their own family like at Disney. They were threatening employees. They couldn’t handle it and had to call police. (Who showed up much faster than our own security). Sad thing is this person had 4 little kids with them who were completely unphased by the behavior and a little kid even told the security officer to shut up. I feel terrible for the little kids in that family at Disney.

It took Security quite a while to show up. That surprised me.
I just watched it today on You Tube and my question is does Disney have undercover security . There seemed to be a couple of people in the mix who were trying to break it up.

A while ago before the advent of cell phone photo craze (in the flip phone era) we were at MK near the river boat and this man obviously drunk was trying to touch people and letting his pants fall. He made the fatal mistake of putting his hands on a NY Policeman's wife and the guy took him down like nobody's business. Security came in but the whole time tons of cast members were running around and covering people's phones saying, " this is not the image Disney wants to portray". Finally they brought in a gurney and strapped him down with blankets and wheeled him out of Frontier Land. There were a ton more cast members and security as well as police there at that time than there were in this instance. I am betting they want to let people kind of settle it on their own for fear of law suits.

hat's the difference between security and security theatre I suppose. The thing is, they can afford to have an actual extensive security detail spread out in the parks (I don't mean 2 older gents in snazzy hats).
I didn't even watch the fight once the snazzy hat brigade arrived on the scene. All I could think of was where to get one of those hats!:rotfl2:They did absolutely nothing to help, but they looked really cool standing there!

Right. I mean, what do people expect, that there is a security officer every 10 feet like trash cans, ready to jump in on any trouble that may arise? That's not a theme park, it's a police state!
You speak of a "police state" but do you see any problem with the battalion of security guards at the entrance checking bags and forcing you into metal detectors like you are at an inner city high school? It's security theater plain and simple. Then it takes 3+ minutes for any one other than a janitor to get there. Who knows how long it had been going on before the camera started rolling.

My larger concern is that security doesn't appear to do anything to restrain the main assailant. He is eventually wrestled to the ground by good Samaritans but is eventually let back up which gives him the opportunity to assault another person and is then still roaming around freely, threatening the good Samaritans. He should have been swarmed and restrained (ideally with some prejudice) by that point. That he wasn't is concerning.
Bingo! That's why it's called security theater. It's nothing more than a show. They do have really cool hats though. Looking the part will only take you so far.

99% of the comments I’ve read are not racist in the slightest.
If you want the other 1% of the comments go to the Youtube comments section.

It took Security quite a while to show up. That surprised me.
Did it though? The full video is less than 4 minutes. Security is there around 3 minutes. We have no idea when someone actually called security, which may have been a minute or two. Knocking down the time to 1-2 minutes. Even if it was instant, a 2-3 minute response time in a large crowded theme park is pretty good. It's merely emotional perception skewing how long it seems.

I'm from the east coast and I feel like 3 minutes is a long time. But then again, Disneyland is different than Disney World. Because if that fight were to happen at our magic kingdom, we have tunnels so security can pop up out of nowhere. Plus the other 3 parks are basically surrounded by an access road so security could just drive to wherever the fight is and show up (but take a longer time)

Also, this fight happened at toontown which is harder to get into.

I just watched it today on You Tube and my question is does Disney have undercover security . There seemed to be a couple of people in the mix who were trying to break it up.

Yes they have people dressed as normal tourists walking around but you really never know they're there unless something happens.

I heard a rumor they are adding a Mortal Kombat attraction to toon town
They got Mickey’s Bill, Then the fight broke out.
I couldn't help but laugh at these

You speak of a "police state" but do you see any problem with the battalion of security guards at the entrance checking bags and forcing you into metal detectors like you are at an inner city high school? It's security theater plain and simple. Then it takes 3+ minutes for any one other than a janitor to get there. Who knows how long it had been going on before the camera started rolling.

Actually, I do think that the entrance security is over the top and largely unnecessary. I understand why they want to be overly cautious but the metal detectors are a bit much. Disneyland is pretty large. I don't think the response time was that bad. In fact, I read an article that says the first security officer was on scene in less than 2 minutes but she only kept the crowd safe until more backup could arrive.

Right. I mean, what do people expect, that there is a security officer every 10 feet like trash cans, ready to jump in on any trouble that may arise? That's not a theme park, it's a police state!

The fact is these incidents are not very common at all. There is no need to increase security because of it. They do their jobs, generally very well but there's no way to keep everyone on their best behavior.

What I really can't believe is how many people just stood there watching while two men punched women. The reaction these days is to stay and watch or record it. I know some bystanders eventually got involved, but how much does it take?
Except that the security officer does nothing and the guy in the pink shirt goes on hitting people. The lack of a security presence was truly amazing to me. In this case, it was just a dysfunctional family, but imagine if there had been a child trafficking incident, or God forbid, a terrorist act. Disney really dropped the ball on this.

If you want the other 1% of the comments go to the Youtube comments section.
[/QUOTE]

No thanks!! I’m sure you are right and YouTube is full or ignorant comments but here on disboards we are more concerned about the children in this situation and the safety of the parks we love.

First I am surprised no one has addressed the blatant flop by the lady who gets out of the scooter. It doesn't look like there was any substantial contact between her and the other lady. She needs to perfect her flopping. Maybe watch some mens soccer?

No thanks!! I’m sure you are right and YouTube is full or ignorant comments but here on disboards we are more concerned about the children in this situation and the safety of the parks we love.

Just providing you with a road map to the 1%ers. I didn't say I endorse it.

I don't think the response time was that bad. In fact, I read an article that says the first security officer was on scene in less than 2 minutes but she only kept the crowd safe until more backup could arrive.

If Disney's idea of providing a safe environment is having security keep the crowd back then they have dropped the ball. That incident was allowed to go on way too long. Even after security arrived in force with the snazzy hats they still let the dude act a fool. Maybe they are allocating all their resources to conduct those nonsense hotel room daily checks and they lack security in the actual theme park? I guess Disney's philosophy on safety is let the guests sort it out so their security guards are not liable for touching someone. Absolutely ludicrous that other guests had to intervene to stop that considering how long it went on.

A stunningly bad summer for Disney's American parks.

This was supposed to be a new height for them with the opening of SWGE, but instead the world is watching this horrific fight on an almost empty street...on a Saturday...in the summer.

From what it looks like, it's just as empty at WDW this summer, with super-light bookings for the fall as well.

A stunningly bad summer for Disney's American parks.

This was supposed to be a new height for them with the opening of SWGE, but instead the world is watching this horrific fight on an almost empty street...on a Saturday...in the summer.

From what it looks like, it's just as empty at WDW this summer, with super-light bookings for the fall as well.
It’s not like the parks are dead. People are still going. They just aren’t wall to wall crazy like expected.

I'm from the east coast and I feel like 3 minutes is a long time. But then again, Disneyland is different than Disney World. Because if that fight were to happen at our magic kingdom, we have tunnels so security can pop up out of nowhere. Plus the other 3 parks are basically surrounded by an access road so security could just drive to wherever the fight is and show up (but take a longer time)

Also, this fight happened at toontown which is harder to get into.

Yes they have people dressed as normal tourists walking around but you really never know they're there unless something happens.

I sure hope you are right, they are the sky marshalls of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter