I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fight.

Take your family to a desert party and get tasered but fight in DL...no problem! Where’s the justice!?

:)

Did they put in another pool with the new tower? Or will the
A stunningly bad summer for Disney's American parks.

This was supposed to be a new height for them with the opening of SWGE, but instead the world is watching this horrific fight on an almost empty street...on a Saturday...in the summer.

From what it looks like, it's just as empty at WDW this summer, with super-light bookings for the fall as well.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. They are packed. Especially in the fall, all of the hotels are filling up

I'm of the opinion that security saw it was about to go down and they were there the whole time (guys with grey caps and backpacks, one guy was just there casually making a phone call). There was some lead-up or else it would not have been recorded for all the internet to see. They treated it like a hockey fight though - nobody external to the family was involved so let them have it out. In fact, I think if Good Samaritans had not stepped in, they likely would have just isolated the family and let it play out.

Actually, I do think that the entrance security is over the top and largely unnecessary. I understand why they want to be overly cautious but the metal detectors are a bit much. Disneyland is pretty large. I don't think the response time was that bad. In fact, I read an article that says the first security officer was on scene in less than 2 minutes but she only kept the crowd safe until more backup could arrive.

I don't think its over the top and unncessary. You gotta remember we're talking about the worlds most popular theme parks. People come from all over the world to visit them. Also, the man who shot up the Pulse night club scouted EPCOT and decided he couldnt do it there because of the security presence. So that presence actually did its job.

I think its a pain to go through the long bag check lines and i actually think disney needs more bag checkers at peak times.

In the day and age we live in, bag checks are a must at a place like this.

I don't think its over the top and unncessary. You gotta remember we're talking about the worlds most popular theme parks. People come from all over the world to visit them. Also, the man who shot up the Pulse night club scouted EPCOT and decided he couldnt do it there because of the security presence. So that presence actually did its job.

I think its a pain to go through the long bag check lines and i actually think disney needs more bag checkers at peak times.

In the day and age we live in, bag checks are a must at a place like this.

I'm not saying the security presence is unnecessary, but the metal detectors are. I don't think they were even using the metal detectors before Pulse - their security was working just fine. I'm not saying to stop bag check or anything - though bag check is much less about finding weapons than other things people didn't realize could be an issue like glass bottles and selfie sticks.

I'm not saying the security presence is unnecessary, but the metal detectors are. I don't think they were even using the metal detectors before Pulse - their security was working just fine. I'm not saying to stop bag check or anything - though bag check is much less about finding weapons than other things people didn't realize could be an issue like glass bottles and selfie sticks.

I dunno, i just dont really have a problem with the metal detectors. It could prevent someone from bringing a gun or other weapon into the parks. This fight could have been much worse if someone had a weapon.

For PR purposes, imagine the nightmare disney would be facing if a headline like this makes its rounds, "Man shot at Disney's Magic Kingdom".

I dunno, i just dont really have a problem with the metal detectors. It could prevent someone from bringing a gun or other weapon into the parks. This fight could have been much worse if someone had a weapon.

For PR purposes, imagine the nightmare disney would be facing if a headline like this makes its rounds, "Man shot at Disney's Magic Kingdom".

Someone was once shot at Epcot a long time ago. As far as I know it is the only time a shooting incident was ever even attempted in the parks. They did not implement metal detectors immediately (or for about 20 years) and it wasn't an issue. They actually started using metal detectors in response to an incident in Disneyland Paris where someone tried to bring weapons into a hotel. It just doesn't seem necessary. I get that it's an overabundance of caution, but it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

It is sad that Disney feels the need for bag search’s and have metal detectors but in today’s climate I do feel them necessary. Can you imagine what would have happened if one of the people in this video happened to be carrying a gun on them?
What good are the bag searches if you can just put your selfie stick or gun in you waistband? As @ChipnDale79 said, the pulse shooter had scouted out Disney as the original target. (I remember it being Disney springs but I could be remembering wrong).
I had never put much thought into it before but this video has definitely opened my eyes about Disney’s security. I don’t blame security themselves as they probably did exactly what they were told to do. I get it. Disney doesnt want to get sued for their security guards for putting their hands on guests. That’s fine but if you won’t allow your employees to to do it, then hire people who can.
The very simple solution would be to have police offers in the parks just Incase something like this or god forbid something worse ever happens.

It is sad that Disney feels the need for bag search’s and have metal detectors but in today’s climate I do feel them necessary. Can you imagine what would have happened if one of the people in this video happened to be carrying a gun on them?
What good are the bag searches if you can just put your selfie stick or gun in you waistband? As @ChipnDale79 said, the pulse shooter had scouted out Disney as the original target. (I remember it being Disney springs but I could be remembering wrong).
I had never put much thought into it before but this video has definitely opened my eyes about Disney’s security. I don’t blame security themselves as they probably did exactly what they were told to do. I get it. Disney doesnt want to get sued for their security guards for putting their hands on guests. That’s fine but if you won’t allow your employees to to do it, then hire people who can.
The very simple solution would be to have police offers in the parks just Incase something like this or god forbid something worse ever happens.

You are right, it was Disney Springs, where they still don't use metal detectors. The shooter still felt security was too high and chose another target. To me that says that Disney's security presence was very good before they implemented metal detectors. I still just don't think they are necessary.

The bottom line is, this type of thing does NOT happen often enough at Disneyland to warrant full time Anaheim PD presence in the parks. Anaheim PD has a satellite office backstage and a handful of officers on the premises at all times, specifically to handle situations that arise suddenly in the parks. That is all that is needed.

Disneyland Security followed established protocol in THIS instance. This was an obvious domestic dispute among a group of people who knew each other. Random guests were not targeted. CMs were not targeted. In lieu of this, the lone area security guard (the woman), followed protocol of calling for backup/police while continuing to monitor the situation. There is no reason to jump into a fight of this nature, as doing so can result in serious bodily harm or can further anger the people fighting and make them lash out towards innocent people.

One cannot look at this incident and say that Disney security is inadequate. They have different protocols for different situations. They are well trained in how to respond to different situations. The CMs who did try and intervene did so at their own risk, and will likely be reprimanded or counseled for doing so. The other guests who tried to help also did so at their own risk and while it was a noble action, it was also a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. Thankfully none of those bystanders got hurt.

I just watched the video and must say it was a brutal fight. I couldn't even tell who he was fighting. That guy attacked everyone

If i remember correctly, and i could be wrong, he scouted both EPCOT and Disney Springs.

From what i remember he chose to skip EPCOT because of the level of security, and skipped Disney Springs because he wouldnt be able to "trap people" in area, it was too open for him.

DL and WDW security lines / bag check were a direct response to terrorist chatter before and after 9/11. Both were specifically mentioned as I remember.

Six Flags on the other hand...

The bottom line is, this type of thing does NOT happen often enough at Disneyland to warrant full time Anaheim PD presence in the parks. Anaheim PD has a satellite office backstage and a handful of officers on the premises at all times, specifically to handle situations that arise suddenly in the parks. That is all that is needed.

Disneyland Security followed established protocol in THIS instance. This was an obvious domestic dispute among a group of people who knew each other. Random guests were not targeted. CMs were not targeted. In lieu of this, the lone area security guard (the woman), followed protocol of calling for backup/police while continuing to monitor the situation. There is no reason to jump into a fight of this nature, as doing so can result in serious bodily harm or can further anger the people fighting and make them lash out towards innocent people.

One cannot look at this incident and say that Disney security is inadequate. They have different protocols for different situations. They are well trained in how to respond to different situations. The CMs who did try and intervene did so at their own risk, and will likely be reprimanded or counseled for doing so. The other guests who tried to help also did so at their own risk and while it was a noble action, it was also a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. Thankfully none of those bystanders got hurt.
If they have police on the premises at all times ready and waiting, why weren’t they dispatched to the scene instead of the Disney security that isn’t allowed to do anything? Oh, I don’t blame the CM & the majority of the onlookers for not jumping in.
You are 100% correct and this type of thing doesn’t happen very often. Luckily this specific family was only interested on beating on each other and not innocent bystanders.
Unfortunately, We have seen it more times than we can count where psychopaths have shot up public places where they can do the most damage. I don’t think have police presence would be a bad thing. Minutes even seconds can mean the difference between life and death in an active shooter situation. I truly hate going to worse case scenario but that is the world we live in now.

It's unfortunate b/c it puts Disneyland in the same light with low quality theme park experiences. If the situation was handled quickly/efficiently, it would have further separated Disneyland from these other places - where we know issues can occur.

Trained security should be very capable of breaking up a fight w/o the aid of police - similar to a concert, club, ballgame, etc.....Especially where entrants are screened for weapons....unless they just built a new lightsaber of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!