If you had to choose a week

ashleyr409

DIS Veteran
Good morning,

We are planning to go to WDW in July 2019 but as I have been doing research and reading threads I get more and more confused and a little scared about my decision.

We are planning to go July 14th-July19th. I chose these dates because no school, and more time to save money. But I have read that July is extremely hot and uncomfortable and crowds are crazy.

Another date we have in mind is April 19th-April 24th.(Easter weekend). Kids will only have to miss 3 days of school. and crowds are scary as well.

May 11th-May16th. Kids will miss 5 days of school and this is a few weeks before school is out so I am thinking crowds might be manageable. Not sure.

If you had to choose which week?
A. July14-July 19
B. April 19th-April 24th
C. May 11th-May 16th

Thank you all in advance@@@

UPDATE: We have decided to go June1st through June8th

Last edited:
How old are your kids? I pulled my daughter out for 5 days in second grade, and I thought it was a bit tough to get her caught up once we got back. She got straight As that year, so she is a smart kid. As nice as the crowds will be in May, I don't recommend pulling the kids out for the whole week.

Though it is busy, I like the idea of the holiday week better. They only miss 3 days of school, and usually there is not as much going on during those short weeks. Other families will be pulling their kids out too.

July is hot. We went that week in 2016, and it convinced me that I don't want to go again in July. We went instead over Thanksgiving in 2017.

Of course, only you can decide for sure. Summer might give you more flexibility to shift a day or two to hit a promotion on the resort or find cheaper flights. You'll be locked into specific dates, with potentially expensive flights if you go around a holiday. When we went in July, we got a fantastic rate at Polynesian club level. That's the good thing about July.

If you can swing the May dates with the kids' school that would be my choice. It will be warm but the crowds should be reasonable. The July and April dates are going to be slammed but at least the weather is nice in April. If you think you could do some strategic planning like hitting RD at the parks, perhaps clearing out midday and returning later in the evening that would be the thing to do in April.

How old are your kids? I pulled my daughter out for 5 days in second grade, and I thought it was a bit tough to get her caught up once we got back. She got straight As that year, so she is a smart kid. As nice as the crowds will be in May, I don't recommend pulling the kids out for the whole week.

Though it is busy, I like the idea of the holiday week better. They only miss 3 days of school, and usually there is not as much going on during those short weeks. Other families will be pulling their kids out too.

July is hot. We went that week in 2016, and it convinced me that I don't want to go again in July. We went instead over Thanksgiving in 2017.

Of course, only you can decide for sure. Summer might give you more flexibility to shift a day or two to hit a promotion on the resort or find cheaper flights. You'll be locked into specific dates, with potentially expensive flights if you go around a holiday. When we went in July, we got a fantastic rate at Polynesian club level. That's the good thing about July.

Kids will be 15,12,5
9th grade, 7th grade and Kindergarten.

Kids will be 15,12,5
9th grade, 7th grade and Kindergarten.
Hmm, depends on the high school student. Dd 16 missed a week of school freshman year, and two weeks sophomore year (months apart) to go overseas. She got her first B ever in a class freshman year (all honors), but managed straight A’s sophomore year - but it was tough, she did a lot of work before, during, and after the trips. She’s skipping the trip this year, it’s junior year, 4 AP classes with labs, 2 honors classes. To me, HS is the important factor, because of GPA and college applications. I wished I took my kids out more when they were younger though, that was easy!

Hmm, depends on the high school student. Dd 16 missed a week of school freshman year, and two weeks sophomore year (months apart) to go overseas. She got her first B ever in a class freshman year (all honors), but managed straight A’s sophomore year - but it was tough, she did a lot of work before, during, and after the trips. She’s skipping the trip this year, it’s junior year, 4 AP classes with labs, 2 honors classes. To me, HS is the important factor, because of GPA and college applications. I wished I took my kids out more when they were younger though, that was easy!

Thank you so much.

I am starting to feel like I will never be able to take the trip because I am so loss on picking a dates.

Between crowds, school, and weather. I just don't know.

We have taken our kids out of school for 4-5 days several years in a row now. Each time, we are open with our kids' schools and their teachers about where we are going. Several times the administrators approved their absences as "educational opportunities". I am a teacher and was able to take the time off as well. The memories that we make on these trips are priceless. As our kids have grown, we are now realizing the impact of "taking time out for our family" has had on them. We ALL sacrificed on those trips- our kids had extra make-up work, my husband and I had days of work-prep prior to our trips and after, BUT our family time was worth all of it. Our work lives are very hectic throughout the year and I never realized until now how important it was to our kids that we were willing to stop everything to spend time together as a family.
I encourage you to go to Disney when you want to go. Schools and teachers will understand and you will not regret the precious memories that you will have forever.

We have taken our kids out of school for 4-5 days several years in a row now. Each time, we are open with our kids' schools and their teachers about where we are going. Several times the administrators approved their absences as "educational opportunities". I am a teacher and was able to take the time off as well. The memories that we make on these trips are priceless. As our kids have grown, we are now realizing the impact of "taking time out for our family" has had on them. We ALL sacrificed on those trips- our kids had extra make-up work, my husband and I had days of work-prep prior to our trips and after, BUT our family time was worth all of it. Our work lives are very hectic throughout the year and I never realized until now how important it was to our kids that we were willing to stop everything to spend time together as a family.
I encourage you to go to Disney when you want to go. Schools and teachers will understand and you will not regret the precious memories that you will have forever.

Thank you for this.

A few things.

Disney doesn't have "slow" times. They simply don't exist. So no matter when you visit, there will be a "crowd". It's the most popular tourist destination in the USA. That's not mean to scare you. Frankly, I couldn't care less about crowds, I never understand the fuss and hype about it. Summer, relative to other times of the year at WDW, isn't excessively crowded. We've been every summer since 2015 and will again in 2018.

Yes, it's hot. It's Florida in July. But keep in mind that a majority of rides are indoors and/or air conditioned. Not only are the rides a/c, the queues often are too. So if you know which rides to get on, you can literally not be outside at all or be without a/c during the worst part of the day, except to walk from attraction to attraction. That and some basic common sense about heat and it's all good. Like crowd size, I think the concerns over heat are overblown (unless you have some medical condition, don't use common sense or have some other odd circumstance).

Why pull the kids out of school if you don't have to? Summer is an awesome time to go. You can even enjoy the water rides more, because they're very refreshing.

A few things.

Disney doesn't have "slow" times. They simply don't exist. So no matter when you visit, there will be a "crowd". It's the most popular tourist destination in the USA. That's not mean to scare you. Frankly, I couldn't care less about crowds, I never understand the fuss and hype about it. Summer, relative to other times of the year at WDW, isn't excessively crowded. We've been every summer since 2015 and will again in 2018.

Yes, it's hot. It's Florida in July. But keep in mind that a majority of rides are indoors and/or air conditioned. Not only are the rides a/c, the queues often are too. So if you know which rides to get on, you can literally not be outside at all or be without a/c during the worst part of the day, except to walk from attraction to attraction. That and some basic common sense about heat and it's all good. Like crowd size, I think the concerns over heat are overblown (unless you have some medical condition, don't use common sense or have some other odd circumstance).

Why pull the kids out of school if you don't have to? Summer is an awesome time to go. You can even enjoy the water rides more, because they're very refreshing.

You have been very helpful. I have been beating my head about trying to make the best decision my kids. I haven't decided what week I will bring them but I do know I will not take them out of school. So it will be Summer time. June, July or August(before the school year starts.)

We did August in 2015 and July in 2016. It rained more in August, but I liked it better. It seemed less crowded and we did have some nice weather days. It was not quite as hot as July was. Of course, that could have been a fluke.

We are not early risers on vacation, but if your family is, you'd do well to take an afternoon break and avoid the worst part of the day.

In August, the prices may be lower at the resorts -- because it's hurricane season. That doesn't mean you will experience a hurricane, but there is that risk.

Good morning,

We are planning to go to WDW in July 2019 but as I have been doing research and reading threads I get more and more confused and a little scared about my decision.

We are planning to go July 14th-July19th. I chose these dates because no school, and more time to save money. But I have read that July is extremely hot and uncomfortable and crowds are crazy.

Another date we have in mind is April 19th-April 24th.(Easter weekend). Kids will only have to miss 3 days of school. and crowds are scary as well.

May 11th-May16th. Kids will miss 5 days of school and this is a few weeks before school is out so I am thinking crowds might be manageable. Not sure.

A. July14-July 19
B. April 19th-April 24th
C. May 11th-May 16th

May for sure! Easter can be a nightmare with park closings at capacity. July is just so hot.

May would be best. Not so many crowds as the other times and hot, but not as hot as July for sure. July is hot and uncomfortable and crowded. Ugh.

The thing with May is the older kids for school. Are they in sports or other after school activities that can't be missed? Do they do well in school? For the HS student, what is the culture at the school for kids missing a few days?

Good morning,

A. July14-July 19
B. April 19th-April 24th
C. May 11th-May 16th

Would definitely choose C!!

Summers are brutal for heat/humidity/downpours
Easter is notoriously crowded - usually hot/humid, but not brutally hot.
We have gone May several times (usually early) and the crowds aren't as bad as other times even though it can still be hot/humid.

Our favorite time is end of April - IF Easter is early.

You have been very helpful. I have been beating my head about trying to make the best decision my kids. I haven't decided what week I will bring them but I do know I will not take them out of school. So it will be Summer time. June, July or August(before the school year starts.)

I would choose June or August to avoid the 15’s. I enjoyed June more than July. August is out for us due to sports.

With Easter being later in 2019 it might be manageable. Yes, it will be busy — but, there will be fewer schools on Spring Break because Easter is so late (they will have their breaks at various points from March 1st onward...). It might be worth the gamble..

I don't know, I think it depends on the school personally. We are pulling both our kids out for a week (Kindergarten and Grade Two) and both of their teachers were fine with it and weren't concerned. Mind you, we also have a full week off the week before we leave because it's teachers conference week so we have an entire week to do work if we need to, but both their teachers weren't planning on sending anything extra home. Depends on the school. I haven't been yet (To Disney) but for me massive, overwhelming crowds would totally ruin the experience for me. I would way rather pull them out for a week and go when crowds are not so overwhelming if it's possible and teachers aren't concerned.

Last edited:
With Easter being later in 2019 it might be manageable. Yes, it will be busy — but, there will be fewer schools on Spring Break because Easter is so late (they will have their breaks at various points from March 1st onward...). It might be worth the gamble..
So many schools in the NE have spring break the second or third week of April, regardless of when easter falls (a lot of these districts have presidents week off, so spring break needs to be in April).

If I were you, I'd go as late in July as possible (if you can push a week or two back from what you have listed that's even better). Schools in Florida and the South go back by mid-August, so if you can wait until August that would be your best option if you can handle the heat.

I would not go at Easter. The crowds will be insane.

You know your kids, but I would avoid pulling them out if you could especially once they are in tested grade levels (3rd grade & up most places). I used to be a 4th and 6th grade teacher and there is typically end of the year testing or if not just end of the year fun (field day, etc.) that you or your child might not be able to or want to miss. Even good (think honor roll students) can struggle with a week out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter