I went to buy FE items for our cruise...

I take bags with me everywhere. Just a habit from living in Europe and Asia. I recommend these for people starting out.

I keep bags in my car too, that way it doesn't matter if it's a planned shopping trip or not. The amount of waste we produce and environment we kill with all of the single use plastics so that everyone doesn't have to be inconvenienced is awful.

I to was at shock when I went in purchased several hundred dollars worth of items and told that I had to buy my bag or carry items out...could I keep the hangers to carry the dresses out NOPE! This is another nail in the haunted mansions casket! I have been soured for the last several trips to Disney and this is another reason I see Disney is only about making money not dreams!

Several hundreds worth of dresses and you begrudged 99 cents for a bag? :confused3

I take bags with me everywhere. Just a habit from living in Europe and Asia. I recommend these for people starting out.

Strawberry Bags

I keep bags in my car too, that way it doesn't matter if it's a planned shopping trip or not. The amount of waste we produce and environment we kill with all of the single use plastics so that everyone doesn't have to be inconvenienced is awful.

I too have a bag of bags in my vehicle and use them for local shopping. Locals should bring their own bags. But I don't pack shopping bags when I am traveling to a tourist destination.
If I can prove I'm a tourist and just got off the plane, bus, ship, etc. to visit your city, why should I be inconvenienced to buy a bag or stuff it in my pockets, IF I had any?

I too have a bag of bags in my vehicle and use them for local shopping. Locals should bring their own bags. But I don't pack shopping bags when I am traveling to a tourist destination.
If I can prove I'm a tourist and just got off the plane, bus, ship, etc. to visit your city, why should I be inconvenienced to buy a bag or stuff it in my pockets, IF I had any?

At some point, everyone needs to make a true effort to stop using single use plastics and conserve the environment, and if you make a decision not to, you pay for it. You're choosing not to take a reusable bag with you. Sorry it's an inconvenience, but loss of habitat and endangered species isn't the answer because people don't want to carry a small bag.

I used to live in a county that charged for plastic bags, and it really did encourage people to bring reusable bags or think about whether they needed a bag at all. For all of you who think this is just a cost saving technique for the businesses, do you realize how much plastic is floating around in our oceans and killing sea life? I would happily spend extra money to buy a reusable bag if that means one less piece of plastic trash polluting up the planet. The bag you used probably once to carry items home could take up to 1000 YEARS to decompose.

At some point, everyone needs to make a true effort to stop using single use plastics and conserve the environment, and if you make a decision not to, you pay for it. You're choosing not to take a reusable bag with you. Sorry it's an inconvenience, but loss of habitat and endangered species isn't the answer because people don't want to carry a small bag.
Carrying a small bag just doesn't have the kind of impact on the environment you think it does. Consumers using less plastic bags will not effect significant change. Consumer measures don't really have the power to do that, because the major pollutants go into the environment before products even get to us. Unless and until industries drastically change their operating practices, no large scale improvement will happen. What no one wants to hear however, is that will drastically increase the cost of everything we buy. We cannot have our cake and eat it too.

Carrying a small bag just doesn't have the kind of impact on the environment you think it does. Consumers using less plastic bags will not effect significant change. Consumer measures don't really have the power to do that, because the major pollutants go into the environment before products even get to us. Unless and until industries drastically change their operating practices, no large scale improvement will happen. What no one wants to hear however, is that will drastically increase the cost of everything we buy. We cannot have our cake and eat it too.

If everyone takes the attitude that they cannot effect change, no change will ever happen.

If everyone takes the attitude that they cannot effect change, no change will ever happen.
It's just the sad truth. It doesn't mean we cannot make an effort, but we have to be realistic as a scoiety about what it's going to take to REALLY fix the problem, and that is NOT reusable shopping bags, its stopping industry from polluting. But that is going to cause us to really be uncomfortable, require us to make real sacrifices, and is not something people are willing to discuss.

Refusing a plastic bag or a drinking straw feels good and makes people feel like they are doing something without really costing them anything significant. They feel like they are fixing the problem, and it masks the real issue. That's why these are the programs that are being sponsored by companies. People can tolerate them without too much fuss, it doesn't significantly effect anyone's daily life, and it makes the company look like an environmental champion. That way , they don't have to acknowledge or deal with the more difficult issues of industrial pollution, the ones that are actually causing the vast majority of environmental issues, and the ones it is going to be most painful to correct.

It's just the sad truth. It doesn't mean we cannot make an effort, but we have to be realistic as a scoiety about what it's going to take to REALLY fix the problem, and that is NOT reusable shopping bags, its stopping industry from polluting. But that is going to cause us to really be uncomfortable, require us to make real sacrifices, and is not something people are willing to discuss.

Refusing a plastic bag or a drinking straw feels good and makes people feel like they are doing something without really costing them anything significant. They feel like they are fixing the problem, and it masks the real issue. That's why these are the programs that are being sponsored by companies. People can tolerate them without too much fuss, it doesn't significantly effect anyone's daily life, and it makes the company look like an environmental champion. That way , they don't have to acknowledge or deal with the more difficult issues of industrial pollution, the ones that are actually causing the vast majority of environmental issues, and the ones it is going to be most painful to correct.
And to further that... people who feel that declining a straw or bringing a bag with them is doing something run the risk of feeling they are doing enough when making other choices that may be more significant.

It's why I'm against having a carbon tax. Not because I don't believe we have to do something, but because it breeds a false sense that we ARE doing something when we're not really doing anything different, just renaming it.

EDIT: Sorry, mods, if I'm getting political, please delete.

I don’t think people are arguing that not using bags will turn the tide on the environment, BUT plastic bag waste IS a real threat to waterways and oceans and the animals that live in them. They are difficult for local communities to recycle and they tend to end up as litter.

Your statement is kind of like saying since I know industies pollute it must be okay to throw this trash on the ground or this can into the lake what’s the impact in the grand scheme of things? Or why not run my water all day long when I know how much farmers use for irrigation. We all know that it’s important not to litter or waste water. It’s not a one size fits all- all elements of reducing are important and efforts in states and other countries show that these efforts do have some impact and that’s important.

Two years after the UK starting charging for plastic bags, results showed that 83% less bags were being issued a year. This would be the equivalent to each person in the population using around 25 bags during 2016-17, compared to around 140 bags a year before the charge...

That’s a lot less bags using energy and polluting the world through production and shipping alone...

If I can afford to spend hundreds in a store, then I can afford the small charge for the bag if it’s an inconvenience to take alone one of the many I already have around the house.

Every little helps!

This is sadly true.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/10/climate-change-green-house-gases/

The biggest scam is these companies convincing consumers that using a plastic straw is the problem. It's crazy.

Most states have bag laws now. I'm sure soon everyone will.have it. California requires businesses to charge for bags and the retailers dont even get to keep the money. The state gets it. So in fact retailers in California are out the money and I can tell you bags are not cheap.

The same thing happened to me at my Disney outlet in Wesley chapel, Fl. I was so upset and I definitely let them know about it. If more people complained maybe they’ll lift the ban on no bags. At least switch to paper bags. And if they’re so cheap at 99¢ for us to buy, why not just throw it in with the purchase? Lord knows we pay enough for Disney merchandise to cover the cost!
If you want bags bag get enough people to vote it back in. Most state/ county ties have laws re: bags.

I was told that whether a store charge for bags or not is up to the store. The state takes XX amount of money for them using bags (paper OR plastic) and the store can choose to eat the cost or charge their customers.
California govt keeps bag money now. Law passed a few years back.

California govt keeps bag money now. Law passed a few years back.
Yeah, I know. What I was saying was the store has the option of actually making an extra charge for bags on a purchase, or it can just pull that cost (that they pay to the state) out of the profits they earn (making it seem like there's no charge for the bags).

I don’t think people are arguing that not using bags will turn the tide on the environment, BUT plastic bag waste IS a real threat to waterways and oceans and the animals that live in them. They are difficult for local communities to recycle and they tend to end up as litter.

Your statement is kind of like saying since I know industies pollute it must be okay to throw this trash on the ground or this can into the lake what’s the impact in the grand scheme of things? Or why not run my water all day long when I know how much farmers use for irrigation. We all know that it’s important not to litter or waste water. It’s not a one size fits all- all elements of reducing are important and efforts in states and other countries show that these efforts do have some impact and that’s important.
No, i am not saying we should throw our hands up and do nothing. I am just saying it’s a fallacy to believe that it is masking the kind of impact we NEED to be making. We need to be aware of that.

Yet if you look up the ordinances...

San Jose -
  • Grocery stores, pharmacies, small and large retailers can no longer provide plastic carryout bags at checkout.
  • Stores may still provide paper bags made of 40% post-consumer recycled material and charge a minimum of 10 cents for each bag.
Santa Clara -

The City of Santa Clara adopted a single-use carryout bag ordinance that requires grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail stores to stop providing plastic carryout bags, and charge a minimum of ten cents for every paper bag or reusable bag at checkout. Retail establishments will keep all revenue generated from providing recycled paper bags to customers. This ordinance went into effect on December 1, 2014.

San Francisco -

The City and County of San Francisco amended Chapter 17 of the Environment Code, extending the plastic checkout bag ban to include all retail stores on 10/1/2012 and all food establishments starting on 10/1/2013. The Checkout Bag Ordinance also requires a charge on allowed checkout bags (compostable bags, recycled paper bags, or reusable bags). Shoppers can avoid the charge by bringing their own bag.

• City law prohibits all single-use checkout plastic bags
  • Mandatory charge of 10¢ per checkout bag provided

I'm done. It is what it is. I cannot get a plastic bag anywhere. And I have to pay for each and every bag I do get, no matter where I shop and whether or not they want to charge me for it.

OP - I think this is something that's started here and will eventually reach the rest of the country. My guess is that Disney wants to look eco-friendly and will use this for PR purposes.

I use my plastic store bags at home for a million different purposes. So if they were banned here I'd have to buy small plastic trash bags to use for those purposes. I'm not sure how this makes any sense?:rolleyes:

I use my plastic store bags at home for a million different purposes. So if they were banned here I'd have to buy small plastic trash bags to use for those purposes. I'm not sure how this makes any sense?:rolleyes:

It doesn't. We have always used grocery bags or Target bags for our trash. It's ridiculous to buy bags just to line my kitchen garbage can. We use the paper grocery bags for it (the ones I have to pay for), and then have to wrap up anything food related in those little bags I put my produce in. It's a pain, and I don't think it's honestly making that much of a difference considering how everything is over packaged in plastic, but I don't have a choice.

I truly wasn't a fan of the plastic bag ban when it first became law where I lived. I was a big fan of Target's plastic bags in particular and would reuse those quite frequently for lining garbage cans. Having lived with these changes for several years now, we've adapted and I can honestly say it's not that much of a hassle and for cases where we forgot to bring our own bag or was otherwise inconvenient, we'll just buy a bag. I actually do like the Disney cloth bags that they sell and have reused them as gift bags.

As for environmental impact of plastic, there's lots of things out there, but just today I saw an article about a dead sperm whale that was found with 13 pounds of plastic waste in the animal's stomach containing 115 plastic cups, four plastic bottles, 25 plastic bags, 2 flip-flops, a nylon sack and more than 1,000 other assorted pieces of plastic. https://m.sfgate.com/news/science/a...115-plastic-cups-2-flip-flops-in-13407710.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter