I went to buy FE items for our cruise...

You can get a small backpack for your earrings or bracelet.

I think this is a good policy! I bring my own bags to the grocery store so I don't use their plastic. My grandmother's grocery store does not even offer plastic (or paper) bags. You must bring your own or use their boxes. Hasn't Disney stopped using plastic straws? And also stopped using individual plastic bottles for shampoo and conditioner? I can't imagine the plastic waste that Disney generates in a year! Kudos to them for thinking of the environment (even if they do stand to make more money from it).
I agree, at the grocery store bring grocery bags or purchased them. If I’m going home with four or five bags of groceries bring six just in case.
When I leave for Disney though I don’t know then that I’m going to buy a sweatshirt for myself and one for my husband because they have a “two for X sale” or that they have some really neat fleece blanket with glitter that I didn’t even know was possible. Or an amazing Frozen ornament at the cash wrap area which has Elsa with a soft blue light from inside that is sooo pretty.
Animal Kingdom has stopped offering plastic straws. I failed at my last attempt to drink my margarita there. My daughter and I left the park early before our FP reservations for the boat/water show because my frozen margarita went from the bottom of the glass quickly to my face and down the front of my outfit. I’m allergic to trees so I can’t drink through a paper straws, un-wax-covered paper cups, and use paper napkins very sparingly. But Disney is working on other options rather then paper, so I have hope.

I don’t know anything about the shampoo or conditioner above. TSA has limits, if I buy a bottle each of shampoo and conditioner while on vacation, there will still be waste when I throw away a 1/3 used bottle of each product still not allowed by TSA. If they put dispensers in each shower filled with shampoo and conditioner that would be nice.

I don't really get the OP. so normally when you go to the parks, do you wait to buy a souvenir in order to get a bag that you can then put your bracelet and earrings in? Maybe I misunderstood. Grocery stores where I live have been charging for bags for a long time. I'm not opposed to that, it's a real deterrent to me (and plastic bags are a nuisance to the environment, let's face it) and a reminder to try to bring a bag where i can. So why not shove a bag you already own in your pocket. I am female and can honestly say that every pocket in every item of clothing I own with pockets is large enough for a folded plastic bag.
I meant that if I put earrings in my pocket without a bag they would probably get damaged or lose the backs.
I must shop at all the wrong stores. My shorts always have fake or short pockets and my skirts have none. Everyone tells me “wear Jeans” but meh, it’s not me.

Just me thinking out loud...
But where is the line drawn? If I bring my own waterproof bags, refillable water bottle, reusable Straw, Tupperware and cup so I can carry french fries and soda on my way to the next ride, towel to save energy/paper to dry hands and clean above. Could we do all that? Sure. But we can’t even get a purse into a stadium any longer. “No Bags/purses” are popping up in several entertainment venues.

I agree, at the grocery store bring grocery bags or purchased them. If I’m going home with four or five bags of groceries bring six just in case.
When I leave for Disney though I don’t know then that I’m going to buy a sweatshirt for myself and one for my husband because they have a “two for X sale” or that they have some really neat fleece blanket with glitter that I didn’t even know was possible. Or an amazing Frozen ornament at the cash wrap area which has Elsa with a soft blue light from inside that is sooo pretty.
Animal Kingdom has stopped offering plastic straws. I failed at my last attempt to drink my margarita there. My daughter and I left the park early before our FP reservations for the boat/water show because my frozen margarita went from the bottom of the glass quickly to my face and down the front of my outfit. I’m allergic to trees so I can’t drink through a paper straws, un-wax-covered paper cups, and use paper napkins very sparingly. But Disney is working on other options rather then paper, so I have hope.

I don’t know anything about the shampoo or conditioner above. TSA has limits, if I buy a bottle each of shampoo and conditioner while on vacation, there will still be waste when I throw away a 1/3 used bottle of each product still not allowed by TSA. If they put dispensers in each shower filled with shampoo and conditioner that would be nice.

I meant that if I put earrings in my pocket without a bag they would probably get damaged or lose the backs.
I must shop at all the wrong stores. My shorts always have fake or short pockets and my skirts have none. Everyone tells me “wear Jeans” but meh, it’s not me.

Just me thinking out loud...
But where is the line drawn? If I bring my own waterproof bags, refillable water bottle, reusable Straw, Tupperware and cup so I can carry french fries and soda on my way to the next ride, towel to save energy/paper to dry hands and clean above. Could we do all that? Sure. But we can’t even get a purse into a stadium any longer. “No Bags/purses” are popping up in several entertainment venues.

You'll probably need to find solutions. Put (big) bags in your small backpack for your purchases. :-)

The last 2 cruises we took (Aug/last week) - neither Disney - didn't have straws. The reference to the shampoo/conditioner was that Disney is removing their individual small plastic (H2O product) tubes from their ships and replacing with dispensers (a whole thread of unhappy people discussed it).

I really think we are pretty far away from the scenario you described in your thinking out loud (don't believe that really would happen) but maybe companies will use more biodegradable products. The onus should be on them but on us as well to do what we can. Just my opinion.

Good. Many people with or without kids are carrying around a backpack/bag with snacks/sunscreen anyway, just throw purchases in there. That's what we usually do when at Disney or elsewhere. I do carry a purse and that's where smaller items go. I don't live in a state where they charge for bags but I wish that would change. There is so much waste!

This is ridiculous and just another way to make a buck. Just like the places eliminating straws, this is just going to produce more waste. People will buy the $.99 "reuseable" bags and toss them when they are done. It isn't an altruistic effort to save the environment, its a way to make more money, as all of these initiates are. Companies would not be doing it if it didn't help their bottom line.

Just ship to the resort when on property, or to the front of the park. But a very interesting instance. Thanks for sharing.

where is coffee banned that is non-organic?

If I'm not mistaken OP does not mention WHERE this happened

there ARE places that are CHARGING for every/any plastic bag

there are ALSO places that ban sale of coffee by the cup if not organic grown .....

mostly west of the Rockies . . .

This is ridiculous and just another way to make a buck. Just like the places eliminating straws, this is just going to produce more waste. People will buy the $.99 "reuseable" bags and toss them when they are done. It isn't an altruistic effort to save the environment, its a way to make more money, as all of these initiates are. Companies would not be doing it if it didn't help their bottom line.
Some people still find the value in a dollar and will pause to simply buy .99 cent bags and toss on a repetitive basis.. There is a difference to such a tote compared to what Walmart gives out in their plastic carasoul thingy....

I find plastic bag ban great at grocery stores where IMO the amount of plastic used is out of control. I have an issue spending a lot of money on clothes and not having a bag.. I prefer my new clothes in a clean, un used bag.

I think also plastic bags are also not the only issue. I do get mad when I think of all the plastic trash our house accumulates in one day.. From the pasta plastic bags, chip bags.... plastic wrapped this and that.. There has to be a better way.

one more thing. Now I know NOT to use my Disney park plastic bags.. I am adding them to the stash of memories from Disney. I have them right now in the kitchen with other bags, but with the "nice" bags... I will pull those and put them in our Disney memory box

I was just at Disney and bought a lot in the parks and was never asked to pay for a bag to put my stuff in. In one store I actually got two bags because the one they originally gave me was really small and hard to hold. I hope this doesn't become a policy in the parks.

I can see requiring locals to bring their own bags to the grocery store or shops they use daily/weekly.
But to have a tourist destination require you to bring your own bag is ridiculous. One more thing to put on the packing list when we go to WDW.

I was just at Disney and bought a lot in the parks and was never asked to pay for a bag to put my stuff in. In one store I actually got two bags because the one they originally gave me was really small and hard to hold. I hope this doesn't become a policy in the parks.

So they can increase the price of the merchandise enough to cover the cost of the kind of bags they sell in the Disney stores - and no one will be the wiser!

Not true. Just returned from CA and was charged for bags at various stores, including Victoria's Secret.
It is true, where I live. As noted each city/county can set it's own policies. Even each store can, if they opt to not actually charge for those bags but eat the cost in the profits they make.

Bags actually cost the retailers next to nothing... well, the plastic grocery bags anyway. I imagine the Disney ones, which are better quality, cost just a tad bit more.

I stopped at an Disney outlet to purchase a few FE items for my January cruise. I walk up to the empty counter and ask if I can place my smaller items there while I grab two other things. And she said “yes” that would be fine. It was an empty store except for one other customer still shopping and three employees.

Then before she finishes ringing me up she tells me that “Disney is…(unable to process sentence can’t believe what I’m hearing)... would you like to purchase a bag to carry your items?” I’m sure my face changed expressions as she spoke her Disney script regarding the new save-the-earth type bag policy. “The parks will start this in full at the beginning of next year.”

I have a plastic Disney bag of “Disney bags” where I select the correct size, or holiday items the correct theam to store my Disney seasonal items in. Or items that are packed for future generations that my daughter no longer plays with (she’s 19 so that’s quite a bit!) A few have gotten damaged in the moves we made so I repair/replace those bags when needed.

So to soften the blow she told me that the $.99 bag was the same price for large or small size. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I have no poker face.

I’m not happy with this policy. I don’t want to carry bags with me when I go to the parks. I don’t carry a purse so do I just stuff the bracelet or the earrings in my pocket want to go on the rides? Do I have to keep receipts now? I didn’t before. Should I be bringing a plastic bag now because it might rain or I might go on a water ride? If I have to start bringing my own bag will I feel like I have to buy stuff just putting it? If I don’t bring a bag, will I not buy items because I don’t know what bag size I need for the day? The parks stop sending stuff to the front of the park to be picked up before we leave, I’d be Okay to buy a bag at the end of the day.
I to was at shock when I went in purchased several hundred dollars worth of items and told that I had to buy my bag or carry items out...could I keep the hangers to carry the dresses out NOPE! This is another nail in the haunted mansions casket! I have been soured for the last several trips to Disney and this is another reason I see Disney is only about making money not dreams!

I agree with the poster. Our Disney Store at the mall started this policy back in the Spring. I don't like it because a lot of times I don't plan to go to the mall but I just happen to go on a whim. So that means I normally don't have a bag with me. At lease at the parks they will ship the purchases to the hotels unless they have stopped that perk? With the prices they charge I don't see why they have to charge for the bags too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter