I went to buy FE items for our cruise...

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
I stopped at an Disney outlet to purchase a few FE items for my January cruise. I walk up to the empty counter and ask if I can place my smaller items there while I grab two other things. And she said “yes” that would be fine. It was an empty store except for one other customer still shopping and three employees.

Then before she finishes ringing me up she tells me that “Disney is…(unable to process sentence can’t believe what I’m hearing)... would you like to purchase a bag to carry your items?” I’m sure my face changed expressions as she spoke her Disney script regarding the new save-the-earth type bag policy. “The parks will start this in full at the beginning of next year.”

I have a plastic Disney bag of “Disney bags” where I select the correct size, or holiday items the correct theam to store my Disney seasonal items in. Or items that are packed for future generations that my daughter no longer plays with (she’s 19 so that’s quite a bit!) A few have gotten damaged in the moves we made so I repair/replace those bags when needed.

So to soften the blow she told me that the $.99 bag was the same price for large or small size. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I have no poker face.

I’m not happy with this policy. I don’t want to carry bags with me when I go to the parks. I don’t carry a purse so do I just stuff the bracelet or the earrings in my pocket want to go on the rides? Do I have to keep receipts now? I didn’t before. Should I be bringing a plastic bag now because it might rain or I might go on a water ride? If I have to start bringing my own bag will I feel like I have to buy stuff just putting it? If I don’t bring a bag, will I not buy items because I don’t know what bag size I need for the day? The parks stop sending stuff to the front of the park to be picked up before we leave, I’d be Okay to buy a bag at the end of the day.

I was surprised by them charging for bags at the Disney store in an outlet mall that my DW and I were at last month. On the other hand, she loves tote bags, so she just ended up purchasing a Disney tote bag to carry the clothes in.

Personally, I don't think that it is too much of a hassle if you are aware of this to fold up a bag and keep it in your back pocket. You obviously don't mind carrying a bag or two of souvenirs once you've purchased them, what is the big deal of the bag? Plus, unless you've found a much cheaper selection of Disney park souvenirs than my DW does, the $.99 cent bag cost will be miniscule compared to the total purchase.

So, if you are morally opposed to paying 99 cents for a bag, then stuff one in your pocket. Otherwise, just view it as a Disney tax. I think you might be making this out to be a slightly bigger disaster than it really is.

Over here it’s the law for shops to charge you for plastic bags. Has been for a few years now.

I feel like a thief when I buy something and just walk out with it not in a bag.

I always forget to take a bag with me, or can’t be bothered, but it’s just normal now to pay for a bag. At least here any profits made get given to charity.

If I'm not mistaken OP does not mention WHERE this happened

there ARE places that are CHARGING for every/any plastic bag

there are ALSO places that ban sale of coffee by the cup if not organic grown .....

mostly west of the Rockies . . .

:rotfl2:
I was surprised by them charging for bags at the Disney store in an outlet mall that my DW and I were at last month. On the other hand, she loves tote bags, so she just ended up purchasing a Disney tote bag to carry the clothes in.

Personally, I don't think that it is too much of a hassle if you are aware of this to fold up a bag and keep it in your back pocket. You obviously don't mind carrying a bag or two of souvenirs once you've purchased them, what is the big deal of the bag? Plus, unless you've found a much cheaper selection of Disney park souvenirs than my DW does, the $.99 cent bag cost will be miniscule compared to the total purchase.

So, if you are morally opposed to paying 99 cents for a bag, then stuff one in your pocket. Otherwise, just view it as a Disney tax. I think you might be making this out to be a slightly bigger disaster than it really is.
LOL :rotfl2:you think women have real pockets! Ask the next 5 women whom are not wearing Jeans about pocket capacity.

It's annoying at times, but it's been this way where I live for years now. We have to pay for paper bags - no plastic at all. My guess is that it's going to spread across the country, so be prepared.

Last edited:
You can get a small backpack for your earrings or bracelet.

I think this is a good policy! I bring my own bags to the grocery store so I don't use their plastic. My grandmother's grocery store does not even offer plastic (or paper) bags. You must bring your own or use their boxes. Hasn't Disney stopped using plastic straws? And also stopped using individual plastic bottles for shampoo and conditioner? I can't imagine the plastic waste that Disney generates in a year! Kudos to them for thinking of the environment (even if they do stand to make more money from it).

In California only stores that sell food items charge for bags.

In the UK it’s all plastic bags.
No charge for paper bags, but very few shops have them (bit impractical for the great British weather lol).
It can cost anything between 5p-£1 or more per bag...

I stopped at an Disney outlet to purchase a few FE items for my January cruise. I walk up to the empty counter and ask if I can place my smaller items there while I grab two other things. And she said “yes” that would be fine. It was an empty store except for one other customer still shopping and three employees.

Then before she finishes ringing me up she tells me that “Disney is…(unable to process sentence can’t believe what I’m hearing)... would you like to purchase a bag to carry your items?” I’m sure my face changed expressions as she spoke her Disney script regarding the new save-the-earth type bag policy. “The parks will start this in full at the beginning of next year.”

I have a plastic Disney bag of “Disney bags” where I select the correct size, or holiday items the correct theam to store my Disney seasonal items in. Or items that are packed for future generations that my daughter no longer plays with (she’s 19 so that’s quite a bit!) A few have gotten damaged in the moves we made so I repair/replace those bags when needed.

So to soften the blow she told me that the $.99 bag was the same price for large or small size. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I have no poker face.

I’m not happy with this policy. I don’t want to carry bags with me when I go to the parks. I don’t carry a purse so do I just stuff the bracelet or the earrings in my pocket want to go on the rides? Do I have to keep receipts now? I didn’t before. Should I be bringing a plastic bag now because it might rain or I might go on a water ride? If I have to start bringing my own bag will I feel like I have to buy stuff just putting it? If I don’t bring a bag, will I not buy items because I don’t know what bag size I need for the day? The parks stop sending stuff to the front of the park to be picked up before we leave, I’d be Okay to buy a bag at the end of the day.
Sounds like Disney is joining the "nickel & dimeing" club under the guise of "environmental awareness".

This isn't true for all of CA. At least not in the part of CA that I live. They charge for ALL bags. And cannot give out plastic ones. It's either paper, or in a few nicer stores reusable ones. And it's the county that gets the money here, not the shops.

I don't really get the OP. so normally when you go to the parks, do you wait to buy a souvenir in order to get a bag that you can then put your bracelet and earrings in? Maybe I misunderstood. Grocery stores where I live have been charging for bags for a long time. I'm not opposed to that, it's a real deterrent to me (and plastic bags are a nuisance to the environment, let's face it) and a reminder to try to bring a bag where i can. So why not shove a bag you already own in your pocket. I am female and can honestly say that every pocket in every item of clothing I own with pockets is large enough for a folded plastic bag.

This isn't true for all of CA. At least not in the part of CA that I live. They charge for ALL bags. And cannot give out plastic ones. It's either paper, or in a few nicer stores reusable ones. And it's the county that gets the money here, not the shops.
All I know is, when I shop at Home Depot, I'm not charged for bags (plastic). Same for JC Penney (when we had one). But, when I shop at, say a grocery store, they charge for bags. All bags, plastic or paper.

I'm not saying it's the store that gets the extra money, but, I'm not sure Wisconsin (where OP is from) has the same rules on that.

All I know is, when I shop at Home Depot, I'm not charged for bags (plastic). Same for JC Penney (when we had one). But, when I shop at, say a grocery store, they charge for bags. All bags, plastic or paper.

I'm not saying it's the store that gets the extra money, but, I'm not sure Wisconsin (where OP is from) has the same rules on that.

Mt point is that in CA it's county by county, so there is no one rule in the state. So yes, we are charged for bags at Home Depot here. I have no idea what happens in WI.

Mt point is that in CA it's county by county, so there is no one rule in the state. So yes, we are charged for bags at Home Depot here. I have no idea what happens in WI.
I was told that whether a store charge for bags or not is up to the store. The state takes XX amount of money for them using bags (paper OR plastic) and the store can choose to eat the cost or charge their customers.

Yet if you look up the ordinances...

San Jose -
  • Grocery stores, pharmacies, small and large retailers can no longer provide plastic carryout bags at checkout.
  • Stores may still provide paper bags made of 40% post-consumer recycled material and charge a minimum of 10 cents for each bag.
Santa Clara -

The City of Santa Clara adopted a single-use carryout bag ordinance that requires grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail stores to stop providing plastic carryout bags, and charge a minimum of ten cents for every paper bag or reusable bag at checkout. Retail establishments will keep all revenue generated from providing recycled paper bags to customers. This ordinance went into effect on December 1, 2014.

San Francisco -

The City and County of San Francisco amended Chapter 17 of the Environment Code, extending the plastic checkout bag ban to include all retail stores on 10/1/2012 and all food establishments starting on 10/1/2013. The Checkout Bag Ordinance also requires a charge on allowed checkout bags (compostable bags, recycled paper bags, or reusable bags). Shoppers can avoid the charge by bringing their own bag.

• City law prohibits all single-use checkout plastic bags
  • Mandatory charge of 10¢ per checkout bag provided

I'm done. It is what it is. I cannot get a plastic bag anywhere. And I have to pay for each and every bag I do get, no matter where I shop and whether or not they want to charge me for it.

OP - I think this is something that's started here and will eventually reach the rest of the country. My guess is that Disney wants to look eco-friendly and will use this for PR purposes.

The same thing happened to me at my Disney outlet in Wesley chapel, Fl. I was so upset and I definitely let them know about it. If more people complained maybe they’ll lift the ban on no bags. At least switch to paper bags. And if they’re so cheap at 99¢ for us to buy, why not just throw it in with the purchase? Lord knows we pay enough for Disney merchandise to cover the cost!

A few years ago, Toronto put in a requirement to charge for bags, but it didn't stick. Grocery stores and some others still charge, but it's not a mandated thing anymore. One store... a department store similar to a J.C. Penny's or Sears, started charging and they actually found their losses went up. People weren't buying the bags, but were walking out of the store (any or 4 to 6 doors, depending on the location in a mall) with unwrapped merchandise. Are you going to now hire a security guard for all those locations while charging 5 cents a bag? They started giving their bags away.

Toys R Us charged for bags for awhile, too, but only on the off season. They dispensed with the charge during Christmas rush, I guess because people wanted to hide their purchases from the kids. At the time, Walmart wasn't charging for bags and their other competition was throwing in free wrapping. Then one year, the bag charge just didn't come back.

So each retailer has reasons for giving bags. They may be a nuisance to the environment, but you know, I always used mine as garbage bags. Now, I have to buy garbage bags. How has this helped the plastic issue?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter