I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's great to know! Does anyone feel uncomfortable having so many credit cards? I already have a bunch that I never use, which I opened a long time ago like the Disney Visa and Bank of America Visa, etc.
It's a little weird, but I keep many of them in a dresser drawer. Just make sure to charge on them once a year to keep open.

Oh, that's great to know! Does anyone feel uncomfortable having so many credit cards? I already have a bunch that I never use, which I opened a long time ago like the Disney Visa and Bank of America Visa, etc

So many cards? Not so much....but sometimes I recoil at the fees. There are bloggers who recap their cards and what they are keeping, downgrading and canceling annually so I stole their idea of doing that and have an "annual review" for myself. It helps clarify (to me) what I'm spending on annual fees, why and what my goals for the next two years are. I have a couple of no fee cards for more than a decade that I'll put a charge on Jan 1st, pay off immediately and "sock" (really desk) drawer for the remaining year. I'll cancel a $450 AF December 2018 b/c there are data points indicating Amex doesn't appreciate churning :rolleyes1, etc. It helps me to keep a running list of cards, when they were opened, their AF, and any useful info (ie Marriott Chase annual free night, Amex Plat free Skyclub, etc). I'm sure if I were any good a computing it would be a lovely Excel spreadsheet :) Instead it's bright markers with lots of scribbles...but it does the job.

So many cards? Not so much....but sometimes I recoil at the fees. There are bloggers who recap their cards and what they are keeping, downgrading and canceling annually so I stole their idea of doing that and have an "annual review" for myself. It helps clarify (to me) what I'm spending on annual fees, why and what my goals for the next two years are. I have a couple of no fee cards for more than a decade that I'll put a charge on Jan 1st, pay off immediately and "sock" (really desk) drawer for the remaining year. I'll cancel a $450 AF December 2018 b/c there are data points indicating Amex doesn't appreciate churning :rolleyes1, etc. It helps me to keep a running list of cards, when they were opened, their AF, and any useful info (ie Marriott Chase annual free night, Amex Plat free Skyclub, etc). I'm sure if I were any good a computing it would be a lovely Excel spreadsheet :) Instead it's bright markers with lots of scribbles...but it does the job.

I know what you mean. When I add up all the fees I get :sick: and then I just want to :faint: I haven't decided if I will be keeping either Amex Plat since I can always go AU on DH's Amex Plat cards I need to run some new calculations and see if I need to keep them or not. I will be totaling up the Amex offers I've used from both cards, the number of times I've used the Uber perk on the personal one, how many GoGo In flight wifi passes I used etc. I'll have DH do the same and see who keeps what.

I know what you mean. When I add up all the fees I get :sick: and then I just want to :faint: I haven't decided if I will be keeping either Amex Plat since I can always go AU on DH's Amex Plat cards I need to run some new calculations and see if I need to keep them or not. I will be totaling up the Amex offers I've used from both cards, the number of times I've used the Uber perk on the personal one, how many GoGo In flight wifi passes I used etc. I'll have DH do the same and see who keeps what.

I would think if you fly a lot the club lounge access would be a great perk for the Amex Platinum.

I mostly use an iPad for net surfing & paying bills so I have a simple spreadsheet that has cards listed w AF, AF date, open date, due date and which of us has the card (DH or me) I actually check it monthly to make sure I don't miss paying a bill

I would think if you fly a lot the club lounge access would be a great perk for the Amex Platinum.

Oh it is and we use it all the time. That and the Fine resorts and hotels benefit. DH and I each have an Amex Plat personal and Amex Plat biz card. We likely don't need all 4 cards to get lounge access since both cards get you access. Between us, at the very least we will be keeping one biz card and one personal card. Who keeps what will depend on how the numbers add up. Unfortunately you can't pool/share MR so we would go the AU route instead.

Question!

I recently got the Disney Premier Visa because I wanted the $200 gift card. I already have the no-fee version (got a $200 gift card from that one as well and it now lives in a drawer).

Met my Premier spend quickly, and I just got my first statement. The $49 annual fee is not included on this statement, and I read data points saying Chase always charges their annual fees on the first of the month following the date the card was issued. Which means my annual fee will be charged October 1st and part of the bill that isn't due until November 20th.

Assuming I get my $200 gift card in the mail before November 20th, couldn't I then cancel the card and not have to pay the annual fee?

That feels so wrong. But is it possible? I feel like Chase is going to take all of my cards away and ban me for life, LOL.

Just tried again and got it. 3rd times the charm. Don't forget football trivia tomorrow. 1000 points

I just manually tweeted "Thanks Marriott! #MembersGetIt #RewardsPoints #FindYourRoute #MRpoints #MarriottRewards" and my reward points have posted.

Got 100pts today using the hashtag #findyourroute. And that's on top of the normal 50pts for the manual tweet. Had wondered where the additional 100 came from until I saw the reply from Marriott saying "Thanks for sharing your route! We’ve added 100 points to your account. #FindYourRoute".

Question!

I recently got the Disney Premier Visa because I wanted the $200 gift card. I already have the no-fee version (got a $200 gift card from that one as well and it now lives in a drawer).

Met my Premier spend quickly, and I just got my first statement. The $49 annual fee is not included on this statement, and I read data points saying Chase always charges their annual fees on the first of the month following the date the card was issued. Which means my annual fee will be charged October 1st and part of the bill that isn't due until November 20th.

Assuming I get my $200 gift card in the mail before November 20th, couldn't I then cancel the card and not have to pay the annual fee?

That feels so wrong. But is it possible? I feel like Chase is going to take all of my cards away and ban me for life, LOL.
Are you sure there is an AF? I'm pretty sure that's the card my SiL got and he said there wasn't one.

I mostly use an iPad for net surfing & paying bills so I have a simple spreadsheet that has cards listed w AF, AF date, open date, due date and which of us has the card (DH or me) I actually check it monthly to make sure I don't miss paying a bill

I have a spreadsheet similar to yours where I list all our cards, date opened, AF, cardholder, AU, etc. I need to go in and add info on card benefits as well because that seems to be the area I don't take advantage of and really should be. My spreadsheet is also where I track each payment due and when it's being paid, so I check this file about once a week when I'm scheduling new payments and removing info on payments that have cleared my bank. I love spreadsheets, so this is the best way I've found to keep a better handle on things. Still a bit of a work in progress though because I know I could use it to store more info on our cards, like downgrading date and options.

Last edited:
Whenever you do get around to Marriott don't forget to make sure both you and DH get you own card during the same month to give you a free weekend out of it.

Yes, that's definitely the plan. Does the Marriott card have a referral program, or would we just each apply separately?

Biding my time until one of us is under 5/24 by opening checking accounts lately. :rotfl: I didn't really plan to get into this at all, but I can't pass up $1300 in free cash for minimal effort! We each opened a US Bank account with their $200 summer offer (opened online, no direct deposit needed, just set up a couple $25 bill payments). Then we got a mailer for TCF wanting to give us $250 for merely using their debit card for $250 of purchases, so I opened that one (did have to go to branch, but no issues - this said one per household). And since I was having a good time :laughing: we both opened BMO Harris accounts for the $200 bonuses also (required two $300 direct deposits, but I found my payroll could easily be changed online to do this). And then today we got ANOTHER TCF mailer for another $250 - and this is a different offer (other just expired) which only requires using their bill-pay. So, I'm thinking DH can do this one - different offer, so I don't think it breaks the one per household rule. ::yes:: Oh, one other note - the BMO Harris offer is still valid if you are in one of the states they are in (we are) and you can apply online and fund up to $1000 with a credit card - great for meeting spend and counted as a purchase on CSR. :thumbsup2 One caveat - the bonuses count as bank interest income, so I am saving a chunk of them for tax time in case we owe a bit more. Still worthwhile for us, though. :teacher:

Great job on all those bank bonuses. This is surely one area I should pay more attention to and cash in on! I see posts on reddit and doc all the time about them, but have never really delved into it. Another thing to add to my researching list, I suppose. This hobby sure rivals a full time job, but I must say the return is definitely worth it!

No. I have over 30 and so does DH.

:worship:
Finally convinced DH to go for the CIP as his 8th card while I'm at 12 right now. DH was definitely not on board in the beginning when I was trying to get him to apply for cards # 5 and 6, but he's come around since then. However, I'm sure I'd get "the look" from him if I was trying to get him to apply for # 30. Guess I'll just have to keep proving to him how much it pays off and he'll be ok when he gest to double digits. :woohoo:

Yes, that's definitely the plan. Does the Marriott card have a referral program, or would we just each apply separately?
Yes, I think mine is 20k points per referral right now
However, I'm sure I'd get "the look" from him if I was trying to get him to apply for # 30. Guess I'll just have to keep proving to him how much it pays off and he'll be ok when he gest to double digits. :woohoo:
Eh, by 30, he'll be like sure honey.

Question!

I'm not sure you'll get your GC that fast. I met spend in a couple weeks and didn't get the GC. Checked the fine print and it says 6-8 week. I think mine arrived around 6 weeks but definitely after first statement closed & af posted

Last edited:
I have a spreadsheet similar to yours where I list all our cards, date opened, AF, cardholder, AU, etc. I need to go in and add info on card benefits as well because that seems to be the area I don't take advantage of and really should be. My spreadsheet is also where I track each payment due and when it's being paid, so I check this file about once a week when I'm scheduling new payments and removing info on payments that have cleared my bank. I love spreadsheets, so this is the best way I've found to keep a better handle on things. Still a bit of a work in progress though because I know I could use it to store more info on our cards, like downgrading date and options.
I honestly made little stickers on each card to remind me. Can't check spreadsheet,when I'm out, so on the back of each card it says "5x dine" or whatever. If it's just 1x, no sticker. If I relied on my brain to remember I'd be screwed.

Yes, I think mine is 20k points per referral right now

Eh, by 30, he'll be like sure honey.

Thanks for the referral info. Wouldn't want us both to apply if there would be on available. Yeah, I'm sure you're right about once we get to 30. At this point he's basically just "as long as you're staying on top of everything and we don't pay interest"......we'll just have to get him over the hump into double digits first. :tiptoe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter