I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new SW personal, just got it last Friday. Met my spend with PNC. My next payment due date is 2/27, isn't that a little odd? Totally fine, and I don't need my points before then, but it seems odd to have like 7 weeks between when my card arrives and payment is due? It doesn't say at all when my statement date is.

I opened my PNC acct this morning using my Barclay Arrival Plus. I knew someone had to call the fraud dept when they did the same so I wasn’t surprised to have to talk to them. I was surprised on having to answer a million question to which the lady was saying no, that’s not it.
Lady-When did you purchase your house?
Me- Dec 2016
Lady- Do you have a different answer bc that’s not right

Lady- what domain was an email you used 20 years ago?
Me- optonline.net
Lady- no

Continued on for about 60 questions
I also have an old unpromise Barclay card that I have had for like 15 years and she told me my mother’s maiden name didn’t match to this acct. OMG. My mother’s maiden name hasn’t changed.
That was me who had to talk to the fraud dept. Sound like a much more frustrating call than I had! Were you able to get through verification in the end?

I'm trying to get more UR with the thought I can transfer them to hyatt. In the mean time I get a free night each year, maybe some good chase offers and maybe some referral bonuses. I don't put much spend on my hyatt but it's still a keeper because of the free night. I also still have the lower af and will keep this card until they force me to the new version that came out last year.

Can they force you to a higher annual fee? I have the $49 IHG card and so far although it is discontinued, I still pay $49.

My new SW personal, just got it last Friday. Met my spend with PNC. My next payment due date is 2/27, isn't that a little odd? Totally fine, and I don't need my points before then, but it seems odd to have like 7 weeks between when my card arrives and payment is due? It doesn't say at all when my statement date is.
This is how my dh’s SW biz is also. We got it a couple weeks ago. First payment is due 2/20 and says closing date is ‘unavailable’. I was hoping to have the CP in place soon but it sounds like that’s not an option until at least end of Feb.

My only request with a new thread is that you all post slower.....just kidding, but in all honesty how do you ever keep up? I feel like I spend an hour every morning trying to catch up from the day before.
I found you all by just being curious about the thread at the top of the Budget Board all the time. We had financial troubles early in our marriage and after digging out of that hole we were fairly anti credit card which made the title even more confusing to me. Now I see how much I've missed over the years. Although I will say that without those financial issues and hard work we had to put in, I may not have understood the importance of using my cards strategically and not keeping a balance.
A post with acronyms would be very helpful. It would have been much easier to jump in with some information posts in front, and yet isn't the digging and reading part of the learning process? I mean even after all my reading I still managed to apply for the wrong cards, but I am glad I am spending so much time learning. I guess my perspective on this could be due to my story of our finances. Sometimes putting the effort in makes a big difference moving forward. I absolutely love how welcoming this group is and helpful to those starting out. I couldn't have done what I have so far without your help. I definitely don't want to imply that the answering questions and helping those starting out is not good! I just think having to dig around a little to understand what is going on better is maybe a good thing. Maybe too much up front "how to" might invite more of the "crazies" you are hoping to avoid. Just my .02 after being here a whole 4-5 months. So really you all know much more than I do in this area!

@MrPTato, @liloca, @schmass, @vanjust14 and the rest of the New Englanders I missed looks like 1-2 feet of snow for us this weekend. Ouch!!!

Yuccch! Our snow is still out there and we are getting something also, here in Maryland and Sun and Mon are going to have lows of 9 degrees. I want to go south so bad right now.

Your next statement close date is probably around 1/24....at least this is how it worked with my Chase cards

Last edited:
Your next statement close date is probably around 1/24....at lease this is how it worked with my Chase cards
That would be well over a month before the payment is due after statement closing? I checked my SW Biz, and that statement closes on the 1st, and the payment is due the 26th. So I am now guessing my personal statement will close around the 2nd, which is perfect (if that bonus works on bonus miles).

That would be well over a month before the payment is due after statement closing? I checked my SW Biz, and that statement closes on the 1st, and the payment is due the 26th. So I am now guessing my personal statement will close around the 2nd, which is perfect (if that bonus works on bonus miles).

On my chase personal cards...the payment due date is 3 days before the statement closing date
On my business cards the due date is 6-7 days before the statement closing date

All this talk about AMEX and where to put your spend has me thinking about my next move. I was thinking of jumping aboard the grAAvy train but I think for now my best move is to keep some spend on Barclay (to prime for arrival +) and keep spending on my amex cards. I wish we knew the magic number of how much is enough! Also feeling the spreading of my spending too thin and not sure of the answer on that one.
Current plan - spend on Barclay and Amex for me (P1). P2 can still do some damage with Amex and I’m pretty sure Barclay won’t give him another card (had to recon for arrival +). So have him just get some spend on AMEX to keep them happy.
Then in March I (P1) apply for CIU - third Chase biz. Either wait one month and apply for Hyatt and arrival + same day or maybe wait 3 months? What do you think?
In the meantime keeping P2 under 4/24 and in Chase good graces for CP 2020/21. So get him Hyatt in March and lay low with Chase. Maybe some AMEX biz cards? Thoughts?

Stats that hopefully our Lord the Dictator approves of the format!!

Me currently 5/24 will be back to 4/24 in March

03/17 AMEX spg lux (1)
01/18 CHASE sw premier (2)
01/18 CHASE sw plus (3)
05/18 CHASE Marriott premier (4)
08/18 AMEX biz gold (BIZ)
08/18 AMEX biz green (BIZ)
08/18 AMEX spg (BIZ)
09/18 CHASE ink preferred (BIZ)
09/18 BARCLAY jetblue business (BIZ)
12/18 AMEX blue business preferred (BIZ)
12/18 CHASE ink cash (BIZ)
12/18 AMEX personal gold rewards (5)
*Older cards: CSR, Capitol one venture visa, cap one MasterCard, CFx2
*09/20 will be 48 months for sapphire

P2 - DH 5/24 will also be 4/24 in March

03/17 AMEX spg lux (au) (1)
06/17 CHASE freedom (pc’d from CSP) (2)
05/18 CHASE freedom unlimited (3)
06/18 CHASE Marriott (4)
08/18 AMEX spg biz (BIZ)
08/18 AMEX biz green (BIZ)
09/18 CHASE ink preferred (BIZ)
09/18 BARCLAY jetblue biz (BIZ)
12/18 BARCLAY arrival + (5)
Also AU on my CF,and both Cap Ones (all old)
06/21 will be 48 months from Sapphire
First off - mad respect for that BIZ card haul you’ve gotten!! That’s awesome :)

I like your plan. If the CIU can keep you busy for a month or 2 then maybe not apply for Hyatt and Arrival right away. Another thought would be a modified double dip with the Hyatt. You have all the good Chase cards though. Since it would be your last Chase card you could do something strange like a Disney or CFU just to use the last slot (technically your 6th slot)

Regardless, I think you have great strategy for the first half of the year.

I booked my first Marriott room of the year yesterday and my son used it last night passing through Ohio.

It was a category 1 Fairfield Inn and Suites and he said the room was good but the breakfast is better at Holiday Inn Express. I agree with him on their breakfasts - they are pretty basic and the eggs are probably powdered.

So, since I have a credit card that will give me 15 nights, I now only need 34 nights to get platinum. I'm almost tempted to give it a go.

Didn't get Platinum this year as all my cards did not count - the annual fees were waived first year and then even if that was not a factor, I didn't do any more stays even though I was a short 7 days away from 50. They just never did credit me with the rollover or 'new' nights.

So, now I'm waiting to see if I get rollover nights this year. @miztressuz any idea? I made gold through credit card. That takes 25, and potentially I had 43 once my last card posted in December, not counting the SPG Biz with the waived fee or the did not happen rollover from 2017.

My one night credit is 'in progress' so I'm showing zero nights right now. Would love to see rollover, and the 15 credit card nights and then I could make some plans, as I have some gift cards to spend, plus the Amex offer to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter