I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when your MR points post, you could transfer MR>HH. The usual conversion rate is 1 MR>2 HH in 1,000 MR increments. However, Amex is running a targeted transfer bonus to Hilton now through 11/30/18: either 1 MR>2.6 HH or 1 MR>3 HH. MR to HH isn't usually the best conversion, but with the 30-50% transfer bonus the ratio is pretty decent.

You could also use some of your HH points to shop on Amazon (not the best redemption), buy points, or take surveys.
Thanks! Surveys would be great and easy but I wonder it would work since I am already signed up with SW. I'll check this evening to see if that will work. Yeah, let's not talk about those MRs. AmEx makes NO SENSE there to me since they gave me a CC of that caliber and then say but we don't trust you to get the points...and they should easily be able to see that I pay my SPG Biz off every single month...it's just software logic and it should be easy to write. I could probably do it for them.

ETA: It looks like there is a way to restore your points with HH if they have expired recently. I need 3 more Marriott nights first and then I can do a HH night. So if all else fails, I'll look into that restore option.

Last edited:
I suppose one could eat the AF to wait for the FN certs to post if the value of the FN > AF, then cancel sometime after the FN cert has posted to open room for more cards. But do we know if Amex has been or will clawback the FN cert if you cancel the card? I thought I saw some discussion about that a week or two ago.
I think I'll end up here. DHs SPG personal AF posted 9/14. This Friday will be the 6 week mark and no free night shows as of yet. Then we have 2 more cards renewing this month/next, one in January, and one in March. I've decided I want those for our family trip next summer - even cashing out URs to cover the $95 fee is better than booking with or transferring URs to something. One example, the Residence Inn by Port Canaveral is 25k points or $335, for a one bedroom suite with a King bed and sofa bed. So we'll renew, book each night needed as they come up, and then if I need to open a slot I'll cancel. But I'll probably cancel the personals next time around no matter what, whatever they do with the free night. It would be interesting to see how that goes going forward, for people who cancel mid year after paying the AF. We've each got SPG Personal, Biz, and Hilton Biz, plus DHs SPG Lux.

ETA: Plus with the Residence Inn... they've also got a Studio with King bed but I figured that then we could offer to BILs to crash for one night to save $$. I doubt they'll take us up on it, but that will be their choice then to spend $300+ or find somewhere else.

Sweet instant approval for SW Biz! Now I can join the club of those who have 3 Chase Biz cards for their "business."

I reduced my CIC CL by $10K on 9/28, statement closed on 10/1. I kind of thought I'd get a $10K CL on the SW Biz, but it's at $5K. My total CL with Chase is <50% of stated income, so I hope I'll have success when I apply for a personal SW next Feb. CP 2019-2020 here I come! And then, no more stressing about 5/24 for me!

Sweet instant approval for SW Biz! Now I can join the club of those who have 3 Chase Biz cards for their "business."

I reduced my CIC CL by $10K on 9/28, statement closed on 10/1. I kind of thought I'd get a $10K CL on the SW Biz, but it's at $5K. My total CL with Chase is <50% of stated income, so I hope I'll have success when I apply for a personal SW next Feb. CP 2019-2020 here I come! And then, no more stressing about 5/24 for me!
Congrats...party:and welcome to the club

I went ahead and booked 2 nights at the Hyatt in Ocean City next July, last full weekend as that's when they have the Greek Festival at the Convention Center. I go for the baklava, lol. It's a church festival - not an all city thing, but I like it.

But, had to use all points as I was blocked out using an individual night on Saturday. Could have used it on Friday but it wouldn't let me book Sat on points then. I will call and see if they can fix it. If they won't then I'll do 3 nights instead of 2. In fact, 3 nights is probably best anyway as then no traffic getting there if I do Thurs, Fri, Sat! Hey, thanks for helping me sort that!

And, once I booked, the nights went to $425 plus tax when I added in everyone else - 1 person =$340; 4 people =$425.

I stayed a couple of weeks ago to check it out. Not as much space as the HI suites (and no kitchen but they do have a fridge and free breakfast) but we'll manage.

UR's to Hyatt are 1:1? I have about 30K UR's - that's another 2 nights!

so just to clarify this in my mind.... you got the bix now, but won't put actual spend on it till after mid december(at earliest?) and then forward with the cp in 2019?

I think I'll end up here. DHs SPG personal AF posted 9/14. This Friday will be the 6 week mark and no free night shows as of yet. Then we have 2 more cards renewing this month/next, one in January, and one in March. I've decided I want those for our family trip next summer - even cashing out URs to cover the $95 fee is better than booking with or transferring URs to something. One example, the Residence Inn by Port Canaveral is 25k points or $335, for a one bedroom suite with a King bed and sofa bed. So we'll renew, book each night needed as they come up, and then if I need to open a slot I'll cancel. But I'll probably cancel the personals next time around no matter what, whatever they do with the free night. It would be interesting to see how that goes going forward, for people who cancel mid year after paying the AF. We've each got SPG Personal, Biz, and Hilton Biz, plus DHs SPG Lux.

ETA: Plus with the Residence Inn... they've also got a Studio with King bed but I figured that then we could offer to BILs to crash for one night to save $$. I doubt they'll take us up on it, but that will be their choice then to spend $300+ or find somewhere else.
We loved the Residence Inn by Port Canveral. We had a two bedroom suite when my mom went on the Fantasy with us. It was perfect.

with Hilton points, could you make a points booking that's 100% refundable, just to have some usage shown? even if you later canceled(much later) wouldn't that work to reset the clock?

Can someone help me with the SW CP again ? DH jumped the gun and applied for the SW BIZ card today. It is mostly my fault since the last thing I told him was that the plan was for him to get it in October :( I want to be clear on spending... we don't want to hit MS too soon ( before January), BUT, can he do most of the spending up through Dec and finish the $3000 in Jan...or does any spending he does in 2018 not count towards MS? He does have a retail business so if we have to we can hold off on all spending on this card until January. Thanks for any help, every time I think I have this in my brain I panic!

Thanks! Surveys would be great and easy but I wonder it would work since I am already signed up with SW. I'll check this evening to see if that will work. Yeah, let's not talk about those MRs. AmEx makes NO SENSE there to me since they gave me a CC of that caliber and then say but we don't trust you to get the points...and they should easily be able to see that I pay my SPG Biz off every single month...it's just software logic and it should be easy to write. I could probably do it for them.

ETA: It looks like there is a way to restore your points with HH if they have expired recently. I need 3 more Marriott nights first and then I can do a HH night. So if all else fails, I'll look into that restore option.

For AmEx, it's not necessarily that they don't trust you to get the points, it's that timely payment is a condition of earning the points. (so it's kinda yes and no, but it's not that they don't like you in particular, it's more covering themselves for liability) In the terms it states "To use points you have earned, including these additional points, you must pay the amount due on your Linked Card Account statement on time." followed by "As long as you pay the minimum amount due, you will earn points for the full amount of any charge applied..." So it's two part process to earn them - make the charge and then pay for the charge (or at least the min due).

AmEx is a little unique in how they go about it because of how they structured the charge cards, I think. On AmEx charge cards, while there is a due date listed, it had been that as long as you made payment before the next statement closing you were good with no downside. (I haven't had a charge card in some time so I have no idea if this is still true or if they started to impose penalties for doing it. It's still NOT recommended). So in practice points go pending in one statement, the payment for those points is on the next statement, and then at that statement close those points are available to redeem. If you missed the payment on that second statement, those points shouldn't post (although I've never known anyone to miss a payment so I don't know what happens in reality) Conversely, Chase, as an example, takes a risk by giving you the points to redeem before getting paid for them. They could be on the hook for both the charge amount and the cost of the points you redeemed if you were to walk away. They're terms are more like, we'll give you the points while you are in good standing but once you're not in good standing we'll take them back. No idea how it goes if they try to take back points that aren't there anymore.

But AmEx also states in the general membership rewards program terms that other offers may have their own terms and when you can use those points ("From time to time, we may make promotional offers of points. These offers include terms about how you can earn the points and when you can use them. These offer terms may differ from the terms above concerning points earned for charges to your Linked Card account, including when you can use the points.") This is why bonuses and offers can post out of cycle with your normal points earnings. The quirk to this is that first time membership rewards members generally have their welcome bonus points held until the following statement after meeting the terms. It could be buried in the terms of the offer that this will happen to first time members (as part of their liability shield) or it could indeed be program logic they could work out if they wanted to. From all reports this bonus holding only happens on first MR earning cards so it shouldn't be an issue in the future, in theory, and probably why there's not a petition to AmEx to have it changed. It's been so long since I opened my MR cards I don't even remember if I had a bonus or how long it took to post and if there was a difference in my first and second cards. I think forgetting the "pain" of the first one after a while allows people to go back for more :)

Can someone help me with the SW CP again ? DH jumped the gun and applied for the SW BIZ card today. It is mostly my fault since the last thing I told him was that the plan was for him to get it in October :( I want to be clear on spending... we don't want to hit MS too soon ( before January), BUT, can he do most of the spending up through Dec and finish the $3000 in Jan...or does any spending he does in 2018 not count towards MS? He does have a retail business so if we have to we can hold off on all spending on this card until January. Thanks for any help, every time I think I have this in my brain I panic!

Well Congrats... I guess ? :p
All spending will count towards the MSR, it's that points that post to his RR account in 2018 will not count towards the CP for 2019. So if you're not depending on points from spend to get the CP in 2019 you can do some spend in 2018 - but make sure to not get close to MSR until 2019 otherwise you might blow the bonus. To be absolutely safe you wouldn't put any spending on the card until after the statement closes in Dec.

Okay, y'all once again I went a little nutty with the points/miles last night.

In my defense, I was taken off guard by DD...last year we discussed NOT planning anything for the holidays d/t her homework schedule (she was up until 2-3 AM on the Danube River Cruise working on one assignment; since she has multiples of them this year I didn't want to pay out the nose for her to do the same). Color me surprised when her father texted me about their trip to Ohio over Christmas. What? She's worried her step grandfather will die soon and to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't after his wife (DD's grandmother) passed away this spring.

So...the only reason I had not made plans for Christmas just went up in the air...enter crazy uber planning. Called the kennel, they have an opening for our 2 dogs that board there; the dog sitter can watch the other two. Check. Delta advertised First Class Sale to Europe over the holidays but nothing was working for our (the kennel's) dates. Dove deeper into Delta and 2 EDI-ATL Delta One redemptions for 100,000 skymiles/pp. Please note these were pricing 25,000 Skymiles LESS than Comfort Plus!!!

Reserved my favorite hotel in Edinburgh, played around with United v. BA for the flight over the pond and knowing that while I enjoy circuitous routes (IAH-YYZ-DUB-EDI) DH would not. So, BA from ATL, 200,000 Avios (transferred 143,000 MR with the 40% bonus currently) and we have Transatlantic done!

Booked a NYE stay in ATL, hopefully after I get my RC credit I can apply it (we'll see).

Today clarified the kennel opening time and booked PNS-ATL, round trip and was automatically bumped up from Main to Comfort Plus. I looked at all the flights for the least crowded 1st Class so hopefully we'll get up there, but it's only a 45 min trip so no worries.

Taxes for the redemptions were high-can't lie. For BA First $1500 and for Delta One 720 GBP (so ...$935). DH shrugged, called it our Christmas present and done!

And..we're set to go back to Edinburgh for the holidays! So excited and this...this is why I love credit cards :)

Ugh, so I'm staring at an envelope from BoA in my informed delivery email. Since it has BoA in the return address I'm guessing it's NOT a stealth Alaska Biz card turning up :( No emails what so ever from them so can't guess if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Trying to decide how much research I want to put into the PO Box # to try to decide if it's an approval or denial OR just find a way to un-see it and be surprised later. Informed delivery really is a blessing and a curse.

Ok I think I want to sneak one in on Chase before my new Amex Rose Gold shows up and makes 5/24. Any reason not to do this? My Chase cards are CF, CSR, Marriott Biz, CIP. Considering the CIU or possibly the CIC. Any reason not to? I am having such FOMO about being officially 5/24 :sad1:

lol I got the new Amex Rose Gold too and wanted to get a Chase card before the Amex showed up, hence the SW Biz card I got today. I personally would go for the CIC over the CIU. The 5% at office supply stores is a great UR generator. Are you spaced out appropriately month-wise on your cards to go for one now?

so just to clarify this in my mind.... you got the bix now, but won't put actual spend on it till after mid december(at earliest?) and then forward with the cp in 2019?

I won't put any spend on it until Jan, because I want the spend to apply toward my CP.

I applied today too! :) @miztressuz has you covered about the spending. I personally am not going to put any spend on it until January.

Okay, y'all once again I went a little nutty with the points/miles last night.

In my defense, I was taken off guard by DD...last year we discussed NOT planning anything for the holidays d/t her homework schedule (she was up until 2-3 AM on the Danube River Cruise working on one assignment; since she has multiples of them this year I didn't want to pay out the nose for her to do the same). Color me surprised when her father texted me about their trip to Ohio over Christmas. What? She's worried her step grandfather will die soon and to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't after his wife (DD's grandmother) passed away this spring.

So...the only reason I had not made plans for Christmas just went up in the air...enter crazy uber planning. Called the kennel, they have an opening for our 2 dogs that board there; the dog sitter can watch the other two. Check. Delta advertised First Class Sale to Europe over the holidays but nothing was working for our (the kennel's) dates. Dove deeper into Delta and 2 EDI-ATL Delta One redemptions for 100,000 skymiles/pp. Please note these were pricing 25,000 Skymiles LESS than Comfort Plus!!!

Reserved my favorite hotel in Edinburgh, played around with United v. BA for the flight over the pond and knowing that while I enjoy circuitous routes (IAH-YYZ-DUB-EDI) DH would not. So, BA from ATL, 200,000 Avios (transferred 143,000 MR with the 40% bonus currently) and we have Transatlantic done!

Booked a NYE stay in ATL, hopefully after I get my RC credit I can apply it (we'll see).

Today clarified the kennel opening time and booked PNS-ATL, round trip and was automatically bumped up from Main to Comfort Plus. I looked at all the flights for the least crowded 1st Class so hopefully we'll get up there, but it's only a 45 min trip so no worries.

Taxes for the redemptions were high-can't lie. For BA First $1500 and for Delta One 720 GBP (so ...$935). DH shrugged, called it our Christmas present and done!

And..we're set to go back to Edinburgh for the holidays! So excited and this...this is why I love credit cards :)

Nicely done!!

What's your favorite hotel in Edinburgh?

The spend in 2018 will count towards the MSR...but it will not count towards the 2019/2020 CP...to be safe I’d not put anything on it until after your December statement closes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter