I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do stores actually allow you to put gift cards on a credit card? One local store for sure won't allow gift cards to be put on credit cards - you have to use cash or a debit card.

Most stores do. If your local store doesn't allow gift card purchases with credit cards, try somewhere else. You can find racks of all kinds of gift cards at grocery stores, drug stores, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Gamestop, even some craft stores like JoAnn's. Several online retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Target, eBay, and Newegg also sell gift cards and accept credit cards as payment.

I am trying to apply for that Hilton Amex for 150k sign up bonus but I cannot find a link to the application anywhere. I did a mock booking and only got the 75k sign up bonus offer. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Which Hilton Amex? There's no card with a 150k HH points signup bonus: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/four-american-express-hilton-cards-compared/

Last edited:
Do stores actually allow you to put gift cards on a credit card? One local store for sure won't allow gift cards to be put on credit cards - you have to use cash or a debit card.

More stores than not around me do. Shoprite is our big exception, they are cash or debit only. Wawa recently did the same except for their (Wawa) GC's. Other than that I can't think of a major one doesn't take CC's.

My $15 Sam’s Club statement credit posted on my Amex this morning. I ordered Starbucks gift cards on the 14th and they arrived on the 19th.

Awesome news, thank you!

This is what I've been ordering. The first GC has shipped, just ordered 2 more. Waiting to order the fourth until those ship (I had the offer on 8 Amex cards)

1) Purchase Walmart e gift card for $82.98 via Walmart.com, checkout using Chase Pay and Freedom card for 5x = 414.9 UR
2) Purchase $150 Disney physical GC on SamsClub.com, using 2 Amex with offer and gift card to pay = $30 cash savings plus the $7.02 savings on the price of the actual gift card (Sams charges $142.98 for $150 Disney)

414.9 UR
$30 Amex Savings ($15 x 2 Amex cards per order)
$7.02 Sams Disney GC savings
Plus MR/Cash/miles or whatever the Amex cards used earn on $30

Not a bad return!

Last edited:
Off topic, but I know you all will understand.

It can be so frustrating trying to plan vacations with friends/family who don't churn, MS or earn hotel/airline/UR/MR points!

We're trying to plan a multi family spring break next year and the options that work for us are a terrible value for those paying cash.

I think we may just settle on a RCCL cruise out of Port Canaveral or Miami. Any tips on how to save on RCCL? We did one earlier this year but couldn't really find a way to save other than my Priceline card coded the cost as 5x so that was nice.

Looks like today's spending towards MSRs will be at the drug store... DH just texted me that he had to pull over on the side of the road on the way to work and got sick and is now on his way home. UGH. Apparently there is a bug going around, but I really do not want to get sick since I already have to take this Friday off for a horse show! Looks like I'll be purchasing anti-nausea meds and some Clorox wipes, because I'll be wiping down everything in the house tonight!

So not how I want to meet spends either. :crazy2: Hubby just did a bout of something crazy I'm trying my darnest to avoid too, but the longer it goes on my odds get worse. Good luck avoiding it! If you can just make it until Friday and you're out of the house maybe you'll get spared!

It can be so frustrating trying to plan vacations with friends/family who don't churn, MS or earn hotel/airline/UR/MR points!

We're trying to plan a multi family spring break next year and the options that work for us are a terrible value for those paying cash.

I think we may just settle on a RCCL cruise out of Port Canaveral or Miami. Any tips on how to save on RCCL? We did one earlier this year but couldn't really find a way to save other than my Priceline card coded the cost as 5x so that was nice.

I'm not sure but I think @Jen and Ashwin might use RCCL frequently. I could be wrong- I don't cruise so I don't keep up with the posts about that too much!

So not how I want to meet spends either. :crazy2: Hubby just did a bout of something crazy I'm trying my darnest to avoid too, but the longer it goes on my odds get worse. Good luck avoiding it! If you can just make it until Friday and you're out of the house maybe you'll get spared!

Unfortunately he's coming with me on Friday! But I'm almost wondering if he has maybe some type of vertigo going on. He said he was very dizzy this morning (so why did he get behind the wheel to drive to work?:sad2:) and that he was still dizzy after he got sick and was still nauseous. Since he got home and laid down he's not dizzy anymore and hasn't gotten sick anymore. I'm going to cross my fingers that he has some inner ear thing going on and I'll avoid it.

I am trying to apply for that Hilton Amex for 150k sign up bonus but I cannot find a link to the application anywhere. I did a mock booking and only got the 75k sign up bonus offer. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Do you mean the one with the 125k points and $50 statement credit?

There are links on reddit to support a couple disers with the 125k bonus. I don't believe that gives the statement credit though.
If the statement credit is still available, I'm not sure, you might try an incognito window. I got it to show up for DH on a regular window doing a mock booking, but didn't app right then. The next morning it only showed me the 125k and not the statement credit on the same window. Then I checked incognito and got it to show with statement credit again.
It pops up showing the personal with the 75k. You have to click the other tab to get to the biz offer.

I am no help with RCCL, but I understand the frustration of planning around multiple schedules/finances!

We're trying to do a family DCL cruise next summer, based on one BILs schedule because he's a teacher. So just before the itineraries came out last time for DCL that included Summer 2019, I asked DH to find out what days would work because we had some cruises in mind... He gave us a 20 day window :sad2: And then was like, why is it so expensive?

Unfortunately he's coming with me on Friday! But I'm almost wondering if he has maybe some type of vertigo going on. He said he was very dizzy this morning (so why did he get behind the wheel to drive to work?:sad2:) and that he was still dizzy after he got sick and was still nauseous. Since he got home and laid down he's not dizzy anymore and hasn't gotten sick anymore. I'm going to cross my fingers that he has some inner ear thing going on and I'll avoid it.

D'oh :headache: Well I have fingers crossed that's all it is!

Can you pay with URs/CSR?

ETA: Sorry, I'm not as smart as @Lain on the details, so I don't recall what cards you have.

I haven't done RCCL, but I thought I had seen Celebrity gift cards as redemption options in some portal but not seeing them now. You can cash our MR's for Carnival at 1 cpp, and you can find them discounted places it seems; but that's probably not helpful :) But RCCL is not as easy to find discounts on outside of travel agent incentives. I'm not sure I've even seen an AmEx offer them, but we've seen offers on the Carnival lines and Norwegian. Are you Costco folks? I hear good things about the incentives booking travel though them.
Of course, finding a good CC like your Priceline to erase some of it is good too on top of TA's.

Can you pay with URs/CSR?

ETA: Sorry, I'm not as smart as @Lain on the details, so I don't recall what cards you have.

Yes, we have a decent stockpile of URs and more to come after my CIP bonus clears next statement (it's pending now). Is it weird that I'm so stingy on my URs that blowing them all (even if DH gets the CSR and we redeem at 1.5) at once? Even though that's a great use of them by my standards. Churner problems!! :) Seriously though, that's something I will have to look into, it would be a very good option.

I'm ready to engage player 2! So, DH is also 0/24, nothing but a downgrade on his Amex Delta to a lower fee option in the last 2 years. He does have an employee card on my recent CIP, will that cause any issues? He's at around 30% of combined income (that I will use on the apps) with Chase credit limits (including $5K on 1 business card, Chase Ink Plus). He has 5+ years excellent credit history with Chase.

I'd like to refer him to CIP for the 80K + 20K (referral bonus).
CSP/CSR double dip (will use Reddit links if any out there).
Then maybe also the Amex Hilton Biz 125k offer since I plan to get that and 250k is better than 125k :) I'll be using one of the Reddit links when we apply for that.

Need some help on timing for him. I had planned to do the CIP first, but I'd really like access to the 1.5 redemption multiplier that comes with CSR so does anyone see issues with doing the double dip first? Anything I need to know/plan if I plan to use the travel credits and global entry credits?

So, refresh my mind, apply early enough on a business day to allow for a recon call if needed for card #2. Do I need to use separate browsers/incognito? Anything else?

Last edited:
So, refresh my mind, apply early enough on a business day to allow for a recon call if needed for card #2. Do I need to use separate browsers/incognito? Anything else?

I think separate browsers or incognito is definitely recommended since otherwise I think Chase won't accept your second app, it'll just act like you've only applied for whatever card you submitted first.

How long does it usually take for points to show up in your account after a purchase? I want to see some points!! :-)

How does everyone here feel about expensive luggage? I have a samonsite luggage set that’s 10 years old and it starting to fall apart. I also have a Delsey hard sided luggage that I got about three years ago. After 6 trips there are scuff marks and the wheel is getting banged up.

My SO loves the away luggage pieces. It’s about $300 for a checked bag or $700 for a set. Is this reasonable? My other luggage sets were gifts from my parents so I’m pretty clueless.

How does everyone here feel about expensive luggage? I have a samonsite luggage set that’s 10 years old and it starting to fall apart. I also have a Delsey hard sided luggage that I got about three years ago. After 6 trips there are scuff marks and the wheel is getting banged up.

My SO loves the away luggage pieces. It’s about $300 for a checked bag or $700 for a set. Is this reasonable? My other luggage sets were gifts from my parents so I’m pretty clueless.

I’m not too picky on looks but it has to be functional and appear durable (unfortunately you never know until you start using it). Our last few purchases have been at Marshall’s. We use backpacks for carry on so don’t need matching sets. We get the large spinners (4 wheels with ball bearings). I have a hard sided Samonsonite that I love and it’s survived the past 5 years pretty well. Some scuffs and dents but no issues. DH bought a similar one but brand was Kenneth Cole Reaction (also from Marshall’s). One of the wheels broke off during a trip which was mildly inconvenient. When we got back he contacted their warranty site and they shipped out a brand new one for no charge (suitcase, not just a new wheel). So definitely great customer service there. It was 2+ years old and no receipt.

Each of these were probably $70-$90.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter