• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/kohl...-small-appliances-free-after-rebate-stacking/

Has anyone done this or thinking about this? I don’t need 40 appliances but it would help with my SPG minimum spend. I just don’t know if it’s worth my time.

They're all "Toastmaster" brand items. I've never heard of the brand so I doubt I'd be searching eBay to buy them. Not saying there aren't others looking for something generic. I'd also be wary of the shipping cost even on "small" appliances. Plus, the rebate form requires you to cut out the barcode from the package, which is something I personally don't like doing if I'm selling something as new. (I hate doing rebates and waiting for a check in the mail in general.)

So the only difference is you don't have to go through a BRM but you still have to apply in branch.

P.S. I want to see people who don't have any Chase branches in state (or the closest one is hours drive away) to see if they can get matched via SM if you've been approved for the CIP in the past 90 days.

Oooh- great thought! That would be especially awesome if there is an overlapping group that applied under a referral offer from an SO and at the end walk away with 120k UR!

Yeah, the offer as it appears is really only for those getting a CIP but not being referred by an SO and not afraid to talk to a banker about their “business”.

I'm planning on doing exactly this on May 1. The closest Chase branch is five hours from my house, so I'm really going to push hard for this. I always get the 30 day message when I apply for CCs with Chase so it will be probably the end of next week before I have a DP for you all, but I'll keep you updated!

So the only difference is you don't have to go through a BRM but you still have to apply in branch.

P.S. I want to see people who don't have any Chase branches in state (or the closest one is hours drive away) to see if they can get matched via SM if you've been approved for the CIP in the past 90 days.

DH was approved in mid March. Met the MSR on the first statement which just arrived in the mail. Do you mean he could SM and ask for an extra 20K??? We have no branches nearby.

DH was approved in mid March. Met the MSR on the first statement which just arrived in the mail. Do you mean he could SM and ask for an extra 20K??? We have no branches nearby.
There's no harm in asking. Don't get your hopes up since the odds are not in your favor of Chase matching but it's certainly worth an SM or 2. But I would wait until we know for sure this is active!

Thanks! Can you tell me if this sounds right to you?

13 rollover nights for 2017 (is on the rollover night line item in my account; I'm just a lowly Silver and that's only because of the credit card)
+15 elite credit nights for 2018 (due to post on 6/1/18)
+ 5 SPG personal 2018
+ 5 SPG Biz 2018
38 nights toward elite status as of 6/1/18

Therefore, 12 more nights in either Starwood or Marriott to reach Marriott Gold (50 nights) by 8/1/18, and anyone who is Marriott Gold by then automatically becomes Platinum for the rest of 2018 and all of 2019. This is probably the only time I could ever make this happen since there are no rollover nights going forward and credit card nights will be capped at 15 no matter how many credit cards you have.

If I understand it right, if you hit 50 nights AFTER 8/1/18 you'd only be Gold for 2018-2019, but if you reach 50 BEFORE 8/1/1/8, you'd be Platinum for 2018-2019. Is this right?

ETA: This doesn't sound right.:confused3

Regardless of when you hit 50 nights you'll be Platinum in the new program, whether it's before or after. If you hit it before, then you're only at the current Gold perks until 8/1 when you'll be converted to Platinum. Looks like as is you'll be Silver until 8/1, after 8/1 you'll be Gold and then if you get those last 12 nights before 12/31 you'll be Platinum.
Seems like it depends on if the current Gold perks do anything for you to determine how quickly you want to get the last 12 nights.

You could just wait and see what happens in August, when they are all one program.
I think that's what I'll have to do if I want to give this a try. Now the waiting and wondering will get to me lol I'm impatient!

You could try.

Here's a successful DP from a few weeks ago with the wording they used: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...central_thread_week_of_april_05_2018/dwuvyuf/

Note that several people on reddit and in this thread tried to get matched via SM and were told to talk to their Business Relationship Manager (because the 100k UR in branch offer is typically available only via application through a BRM).

If you've been approved for a CIP in the last 90 days, don't have a branch in state or reasonably nearby, I would try again via SM this week and next because Chase is supposed to be running an in-branch 100k offer for Small Business Week that doesn't require a BRM: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8eseme/daily_discussion_thread_april_25_2018/dxxvqjw/

When SMing, I would use similar language to the first DP, and add reference to the Small Business Week in-branch offer (don't reference DoC, reddit or any blog directly) and hope they don't tell you to talk to a BRM.

You could try.

Here's a successful DP from a few weeks ago with the wording they used: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...central_thread_week_of_april_05_2018/dwuvyuf/

Note that several people on reddit and in this thread tried to get matched via SM and were told to talk to their Business Relationship Manager (because the 100k UR in branch offer is typically available only via application through a BRM).

If you've been approved for a CIP in the last 90 days, don't have a branch in state or reasonably nearby, I would try again via SM this week and next because Chase is supposed to be running an in-branch 100k offer for Small Business Week that doesn't require a BRM: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8eseme/daily_discussion_thread_april_25_2018/dxxvqjw/

When SMing, I would use similar language to the first DP, and add reference to the Small Business Week in-branch offer (don't reference DoC, reddit or any blog directly) and hope they don't tell you to talk to a BRM.

I think @Jen and Ashwin might have tried as well, but that was before the small business week offer came out. Maybe she'll have some insight as to what to say or not say in SMs.

I don't think it matters what flight you book with points through the UR portal, as long as it's more than 61 days out. You won't be taking that flight anyway because you'd be cancelling it to credit the full value of that fare to your Alaska wallet to use on the flight you actually want to take. So since the point of this trick is to move the full value out of discounted points from UR>Alaska, you'll probably want to book the most expensive flight you can find (I'd imagine this would help offset the cost of a change fee too).

P.S. @Albort and @calypso726 please check me if I'm wrong, I just woke up and haven't had my coffee.

Oohhhhh, this is genius! Y’all are the best! So I wonder if I should do this now to “transfer” points to Alaska before the fee starts. Softer I cancel the “flight” can the points just sit in the Alaska account til I want to use them?

I am considering this but I paid the mortgage on dH’s account with plastiq for msr so not sure I want eyes on the account.

They're all "Toastmaster" brand items. I've never heard of the brand so I doubt I'd be searching eBay to buy them. Not saying there aren't others looking for something generic. I'd also be wary of the shipping cost even on "small" appliances. Plus, the rebate form requires you to cut out the barcode from the package, which is something I personally don't like doing if I'm selling something as new. (I hate doing rebates and waiting for a check in the mail in general.)

I took the time to read the reviews on the 8 items available at my local Kohls. I recognize the Toastmaster name from years ago and it was okay for a toaster then. It's raining today and I can't do yard work which is what I do every day in my yard right now - planting flowers and veggies and generally enjoying nature and ignoring the inside of my house!

The reviews on every item were terrible - toaster that only fit a small slice of bread and toasted on one side; blender that dies after one use - seems to me like you would get a lot of junk for free that you wouldn't be able to even give away.

@disneymagicgirl - My advice would be the Alaska credit card. If you are in 2 player mode, you'd get 60k+ AS miles for both cards. With a little more spend this should cover you and 1 other passenger on an award flight. Then, you book your other 4 passengers. Two paid, two CP. If you book more than 60 days out, you can book a fully refundable ticket for the amount that you will need to pay for one of the Hawaii tix via UR portal and paid with UR points. The flight you book has to be on AS metal. Wait 24 hours for the fully refundable option to expire. Then cancel the flight on the AS website and get the fare refunded to your "my wallet" on AS. Then book your paid tix using the "my wallet" credit and redeem the CP. Lather. Rinse. Repeat on the other AS account. Now you got all 6 tickets with a combination of AS miles, UR points and the 2 CPs. Travel Codex has written about the method.

https://www.travelcodex.com/double-value-ultimate-rewards-alaska-airlines-companion-fare/

Just had to say AMAZING!:worship:

I took the time to read the reviews on the 8 items available at my local Kohls. I recognize the Toastmaster name from years ago and it was okay for a toaster then. It's raining today and I can't do yard work which is what I do every day in my yard right now - planting flowers and veggies and generally enjoying nature and ignoring the inside of my house!

The reviews on every item were terrible - toaster that only fit a small slice of bread and toasted on one side; blender that dies after one use - seems to me like you would get a lot of junk for free that you wouldn't be able to even give away.

I have no need for the appliances but it appears to be a money maker once you stack the offers. I wasn’t planning on reselling. I have never done a rebate before, but it doesn’t seem like it’s worth my time.

Is there a way to use UR points for AirBNB?
(Or other types of points)

You can redeem UR points for AirBnB [edited] gift cards at a 1:1 ratio (1 point = 1¢), starting at 2,500 UR for $25. This is a really bad deal because you can use a CSP or CSR and earn, respectively, 2x UR or 3x UR when booking with AirBnB directly (travel category bonus), then "cash out" your UR points at 1¢ per point as a statement credit or deposit to cover the cost of your AirBnB booking. This is still a bad value, since you can redeem UR points at 1.5¢ per point via the UR travel portal.

For AirBnB, you have two options that I can think of offhand to save some more money or earn additional points:

1. PayPal Digital Gifts (PPDG) often runs sales on eBay for AirBnB e-gift cards.
You get the point that these 8-10% sales happen quite frequently, and tend to ramp up at the end of the quarter when PPDG and eBay are trying to juice up their sales numbers. Check Doctor of Credit regularly, because he's really good about posting gift card deals, or we can tag you here if you're interested.

or

2. MileagePlus X (MPX) sells AirBnB e-gift cards.
  • You can earn 2 United MileagePlus (UA) miles/$1 on AirBnB gift cards.
  • AirBnB gift cards max out at $500 on MPX, but you can buy several. (I would not recommend buying several $500 gift cards all in one day because you’ll likely trigger a fraud alert and could get your account frozen!)
  • If you have a United MileagePlus Visa credit card attached to your MPX account, you get a cardmember bonus of 25% more miles on your gift card purchases.
  • You don't have to actually use a MileagePlus Visa credit card to pay for your gift card purchase on MPX to earn the cardmember bonus; use another card which will offer you the rewards/points/miles that you value or a new card you're trying to meet a minimum required spend on for the signup bonus.
So for example, if I buy a $500 AirBnB gift card on MPX, I'll earn 1000 UA miles + 250 UA miles (because I have a MileagePlus Visa attached to my account) + 500 Starpoints (because I'm paying with my Amex SPG Business credit card).

then

3. Once you've bought your AirBnB gift cards, go to the Delta/AirBnB portal at https://www.deltaairbnb.com, click through and make the booking on AirBnB to earn 1x Delta SkyMiles/$1 on stays. I see this program is also offering 1,000 bonus SkyMiles for new guests and a $25 coupon for first bookings.

Last edited:
I have no need for the appliances but it appears to be a money maker once you stack the offers. I wasn’t planning on reselling. I have never done a rebate before, but it doesn’t seem like it’s worth my time.

I bought a few items for my kid who was getting his first college apartment on one of these deals a year or so ago. He seems to like the appliances fine but at age 20, he has no point of comparison. I think I paid $3ish each, so it wasn't a big risk.

You can redeem UR points for Uber gift cards at a 1:1 ratio (1 point = 1¢), starting at 2,500 UR for $25. This is a really bad deal because you can use a CSP or CSR and earn, respectively, 2x UR or 3x UR when booking with AirBnB directly (travel category bonus), then "cash out" your UR points at 1¢ per point as a statement credit or deposit to cover the cost of your AirBnB booking. This is still a bad value, since you can redeem UR points at 1.5¢ per point via the UR travel portal.

For AirBnB, you have two options that I can think of offhand to save some more money or earn additional points:

1. PayPal Digital Gifts (PPDG) often runs sales on eBay for AirBnB e-gift cards.
You get the point that these 8-10% sales happen quite frequently, and tend to ramp up at the end of the quarter when PPDG and eBay are trying to juice up their sales numbers. Check Doctor of Credit regularly, because he's really good about posting gift card deals, or we can tag you here if you're interested.

or

• AirBnB gift cards max out at $500 on MPX, but you can buy several. (I would not recommend buying several $500 gift cards all in one day because you’ll likely trigger a fraud alert and could get your account frozen!)
  • If you have a United MileagePlus Visa credit card attached to your MPX account, you get a cardmember bonus of 25% more miles on your gift card purchases.
  • You don't have to actually use a MileagePlus Visa credit card to pay for your gift card purchase on MPX to earn the cardmember bonus; use another card which will offer you the rewards/points/miles that you value or a new card you're trying to meet a minimum required spend on for the signup bonus.
So for example, if I buy a $500 AirBnB gift card on MPX, I'll earn 1000 UA miles + 250 UA miles (because I have a MileagePlus Visa attached to my account) + 500 Starpoints (because I'm paying with my Amex SPG Business credit card).

then

3. Once you've bought your AirBnB gift cards, go to the Delta/AirBnB portal at https://www.deltaairbnb.com, click through and make the booking on AirBnB to earn 1x Delta SkyMiles/$1 on stays. I see this program is also offering 1,000 bonus SkyMiles for new guests and a $25 coupon for first bookings.

Thank you. I knew someone here would have the answers!

I have done these Kohls rebates a few times now. I have a bunch sitting in my office right now waiting for my garage sale. By the time I get the discount and rebates and Kohls Cash and Yes to you Rewards - the appliances are free. My city has a city wide garage sale every May and it is crazy busy and I resell them all there. I sell them at about 50% off the Kohls price. They sold like crazy and did not have any left - so made money on the deal. May have to look into this deal again - since the garage sale is in a few weeks. You can send in all your rebates in 1 envelope. I make copies of the receipts and UPC codes before mailing them in. Then in a few months I get a Visa Gift Card to use.

Oohhhhh, this is genius! Y’all are the best! So I wonder if I should do this now to “transfer” points to Alaska before the fee starts. Softer I cancel the “flight” can the points just sit in the Alaska account til I want to use them?

I'd want to run it by @calypso726 before doing this as she has more experience. Keep in mind that funds in your Alaska wallet do expire, I believe, in one year.

I am considering this but I paid the mortgage on dH’s account with plastiq for msr so not sure I want eyes on the account.

Plastiq just shows up as "PLASTIQ BILL PAYMENT" on the CIP statement. Nothing about what you paid.

You can redeem UR points for Uber gift cards at a 1:1 ratio (1 point = 1¢), starting at 2,500 UR for $25. This is a really bad deal because you can use a CSP or CSR and earn, respectively, 2x UR or 3x UR when booking with AirBnB directly (travel category bonus), then "cash out" your UR points at 1¢ per point as a statement credit or deposit to cover the cost of your AirBnB booking. This is still a bad value, since you can redeem UR points at 1.5¢ per point via the UR travel portal.

or

then

I've also seen AirBnB gift cards at my local Kroger. If you do the fuel points thing, combined with either Discover or CF 5% back or Amex BCP, thats some nice savings. It would be even better if Best Buy carried them (mine does not - or didn't the last time I checked), as you could buy BB gift cards at Kroger and them redeem them at Best Buy for the Airbnb using a Swagbucks QR code for an additional 12% off.

I am wondering if I need to back burner this whole thing. It is seriously making me crazy. In the mean time, my next plan can be to do alaska cards to get points and companion fares. Plus, the Stariott merger would be complete and I could maybe combine with the night/flight thing at the westin. I am going to ponder this. I don't know when we would do it though, since we have alaska booked next summer. There is Christmas break but flights are high.
Honestly that's what I did for a couple of years. I had a sloooow plan building some points for a HI trip, but just unsure how to use them as it wasn't super simple. In the meantime we did other trips using points/cards etc (Hello Alaska cruise!) I think my goal was to do this, but not to make it overly difficult,since my 'real life' was more important than fussing with a million issues to plan things. Fast forward to a few weeks back,and suddenly everything fell into place easily. I think it's b/c I've been sitting on certain points for a while,accumulating things in certain programs, so when I saw the opportunity to pull the trigger, it just all worked. (now of course as per my last few posts I'm considering shaking it up a bit but that's just how I roll) I feel like if I'm struggling too hard to put something together, it's just not the right time for me. And then I move on to something else I'd like to do. Honestly the Alaska and HAwaii things were both HUGE bucket lists items for me. There are so many places to visit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter