I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need a little bit of advice....a few of my fellow soccer parents know about my little URs addiction that I have and our soccer coach just asked me for help about how to earn airline flights using credit cards. He's from England and wants to earn international flights - most of my experience is domestic and I fly almost exclusively on SW. We travel for soccer tournaments, hubby's marathons, and to Disney.

Which credit cards should I recommend to him? I always say CSP. I don't think he could stomach the CSR annual fee. I was going to recommend the CF-CSP-airline card trio. I always say Chase first, but what about Barclay's?

So I need a little bit of advice....a few of my fellow soccer parents know about my little URs addiction that I have and our soccer coach just asked me for help about how to earn airline flights using credit cards. He's from England and wants to earn international flights - most of my experience is domestic and I fly almost exclusively on SW. We travel for soccer tournaments, hubby's marathons, and to Disney.

Which credit cards should I recommend to him? I always say CSP. I don't think he could stomach the CSR annual fee. I was going to recommend the CF-CSP-airline card trio. I always say Chase first, but what about Barclay's?

I also think someone new to the game, who's under 5/24, should start with Chase first, but which card first is kind of the big question.

I'd hesitate to recommend the CSP first because of the one Sapphire rule, which would preclude the CSR or a CSP+CSR double dip for at least 24 months. Admittedly, the CSR's $450 AF is a sticker shock and the idea of signing up for two credit cards (CSP+CSR) at the same time and needing to spend $8,000 in 3 months puts off a lot of people, but I don't like the idea of foreclosing the possibility of getting comfortable with either option by applying for the CSP right when someone's starting out.

The other side to this is I do think a BIG signup bonus early on can really open someone's eyes to the possibilities, so that points to the CIP (or CIC at 50,000 UR bonus), CSP and/or the CSR. All of which kind of require taking a big leap into this game. With the CIP or CIC, being comfortable applying for a "business" card; and with the CSP and/or CSR, as discussed above.

The Freedom could be a good starter card because it offers a $150 (actually, 15,000 UR) signup bonus and earns 5x UR on up to $1,500 spend in rotating bonus categories each quarter (potentially 7,500 UR every 3 months/30,000 UR every year) for no AF. The current Freedom Unlimited offer of 3x UR on everything for the first year is also very tempting and easy to understand (i.e., just swipe the CFU pretty much everywhere and watch your UR balance grow), but the downside is it doesn't have any (big or small) signup bonus that makes an immediate impact. I think a lot of us who have been in this game long enough wouldn't use a */24 slot on a CF or CFU, but all of us would agree that these are cards you should have in your wallet eventually, so it's not necessarily a wasted 5/24 slot. And maybe when your coach gets comfortable with the idea of earning points and wonders how he can earn more, you can point him to the big offers.

I live in Pittsburgh...but then again don't really have any tips for you, LOL. :)

Is your SW Premier annual fee posting soon? If not - why are you cancelling?
Yeah.... my annual fee hit. I already called once for a retention offer but never got one. Just was thinking if I did cancel I would be able to get one again after feb 2019. That would be 24 months from when I recieved the bonus last. Also if SW comes out with a new card then maybe I could get one then.

May 31st.
Eh, at least that puts them just a few weeks before the concert tickets go on sale, which would be the point of the trip.... probably better to have refundable flights booked first, vs getting non refundable concert tickets and then the flights be outrageous or something :)

As is the case with most (all?) hotel programs the only two ways to really earn large amounts of points is 1) staying at the hotel (especially if you can hit their promotions) OR 2) signup for credit cards.

How many points do you need? The IHG card is not subject to 5/24 so as long as you aren't a shutdown risk you could apply. It would just prolong your path to getting back under 5/24. Otherwise, I'd reconsider where you're staying, buy the points, or do cash+points for your stay...

Just an FYI for @trenty, Daily Getaways still has 100K IHG points for $580. That's pretty close to the best price.

As is the case with most (all?) hotel programs the only two ways to really earn large amounts of points is 1) staying at the hotel (especially if you can hit their promotions) OR 2) signup for credit cards.

How many points do you need? The IHG card is not subject to 5/24 so as long as you aren't a shutdown risk you could apply. It would just prolong your path to getting back under 5/24. Otherwise, I'd reconsider where you're staying, buy the points, or do cash+points for your stay...

Thanks. So I could possibly get the IHG ($29 fee one) even though I am at 5/24? But It will put me at 6/24 until my next card drops off?

Thanks. So I could possibly get the IHG ($29 fee one) even though I am at 5/24? But It will put me at 6/24 until my next card drops off?
So I specifically recall DPs that the $89 version is not subject to 5/24. I assume the $29 version isn’t either (but maybe check that - or can somebody else clarify on that??)

Are you a risk for Chase Shutdown? What all cards have you gotten (including month and year) in the past 24 months? How many inquiries do you have?

@Lain slogging through AMEX MSR... though we're at $5600 of the SPG biz. Has anyone used the new SW system to change flights? It's nice to just click and change vs cancel and rebook with points. I just got 2700 points back on my DEN to MCO flight in September.
I am intrigued since I have never canceled and rebooked to get my points back for a reduced fare. I have always just changed it online. Then I have to call to have my CP flight changed, especially if I have already paid for EBCI.

:offtopic: Well sorta kinda but I’ll try to make it relevant. We are in DLR for our first Dapper Day event. We finally found a use for the Delta Sky Pesos we had been sitting on. We each had signed up for both the Delta Platinum business and personal cards. Initially we had intended those miles for a different trip but it didn’t work out. First class, lie flat seats from east to west coast was a great plan B for them. I promised a Dapper Day picture, so here is our Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps Dapper Disneybound.

045EE698-FBFF-43FC-9E57-3081536C2F2B.jpeg
24BFA653-EEEF-41D9-B376-B6BF911F3AD5.jpeg

So I specifically recall DPs that the $89 version is not subject to 5/24. I assume the $29 version isn’t either (but maybe check that - or can somebody else clarify on that??)

Are you a risk for Chase Shutdown? What all cards have you gotten (including month and year) in the past 24 months? How many inquiries do you have?

I will get back to you later on cards I have and inquiries....
I am torn because I really want the CFU and getting IhG now will prolong that.

Decisions.....but leaning towards waiting on ihg and using UR and/or cash to pay for upcoming hotel stay.

Hi! New here but not to DIS or WDW. We’ve been 4 times since 2013. But as our family grew and prices climbed we started looking elsewhere to vacation. Until I found cc hacking! We were planning on a trip in Nov 2020 but feared the SPG changes and bumped it up to Nov ‘18! We’re staying the 3rd-8th either at either SWAN or Dolphin (any preferences?) for 9,600 + 5th night free. I’ll then have 2 adult and 4 kids tickets (4 day base), roughly $800 in food, $130 in parking, and $200 in gas to cover this trip. I do have 73k (working on another 53k) UR points but I’d like to use those as a last resort. What ways would you go about tackling this? I’m leaning towards a travel eraser card or bank account opening bonuses. Thoughts?

As a couple we’ve opened 2 CsP, 2 Spg, and 1 IHG since Jan ‘18. Hoping to work SW companion pass early next year.
I absolutely LOVE bank bonuses. CASH!!! (Love CCs too obviously, but bank bonuses were my entry point into this travel hacking world and will always be my fave :) ) Do you follow DoC? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/ *in the spirit of tax season remember bank bonuses are taxable income reported on 1099-INT

app decision. I heard they have the power to push the app through based on their recommendations. but a regular app doesn't.
Not really I think... My parents worked with a BRM last year for 3 total apps. The last one required credit shifting for approval (dad only had 1 other Biz card but was bumping up against that 60-70k level). All the BRM was able to do was call him and call lending and provided a conduit for him to have the discussion about shifting credit limits around. It was nice the BRM was able to figure out what happened and that we didn’t spend time working our way through the phone system or waiting on hold a lot for that call. (Our own call to Chase had resulted in a rep saying “too many accounts opened” (not true) so we waited for the BRM to come back from the holidays.) Overall my impression was the BRM was handy but didn’t do anything some time & HUCA couldn’t have accomplished.
ETA: finally caught up and saw @SouthFayetteFan explanation , it all makes more sense now!

Last edited:
So was the consensus for @wisconsinmom to lower limits? I am at almost exact number and I would really like the CIP. If you add in my AU accounts (do they look at those also?) with DH then I am almost 100% of household income with Chase!

My limits are:
SW Plus - $5000 (was $25000 but I dispersed a few months ago to my Sapphires)
SW Premier - $29000
Sapphire Reserved $11000
Sapphire Preferred $26000

I was going to cancel my SW plus so I dispersed most of the limit, but then decided to keep it thinking I could refer DH to both of them later this year. That plan is not going to work now and my Premier is now due so I think I will cancel that one. Should I cancel it with the $29k on there or disperse some of it? Any thoughts?
AUs CLs shouldn’t matter, never seen anyone mention that. I have seen people suggest be under 50% of your income in CLs or 60-70k total CL, whatever is lower. PLEASE REMEMBER: there is no going back. Once you request a CL with Chase be lowered you can’t increase it back.

I am intrigued since I have never canceled and rebooked to get my points back for a reduced fare. I have always just changed it online. Then I have to call to have my CP flight changed, especially if I have already paid for EBCI.
Well, maybe I've just been always doing it the difficult way... but they did make it really easy to see if your price went down, instead of having to look up your price/point cost in your emails: https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-just-made-it-really-easy-to-see-if-your-flight-cost-changed/

Have you been able to get EBCI changed for free when you rebook for lower cost? I just assumed you couldn't for some reason, since EBCI says it's non refundable.

Is it a bad idea to list the small business I work for when applying for a Chase Business Card? They actually do reimburse me for some charges. Would I still use my SSN or the company Federal TIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter