• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as the CARES act looks likely to pass, I was thinking about how to spend the money. And was frustrated that it looks like college-aged DS will get no amount. Then DH came home at lunch and announced that he will have to take a pay cut of 15% (no reduction in hours) effective this week. Guess the CARES money will go to making up for the pay cut, at least for a little bit.

I did get choked up and then had to have a perspective reset. We’ve financially set ourselves to weather these kind of things (we went through a big pay cut in 2008-09 that woke us up). And we can tighten our belt and be fine. It is going to mean scaling back vacations, but compared to what so many other people are dealing with, it really isn’t that big of a deal.

Thank you all for being a supportive place on the internet. That’s rare.

Has anyone heard anything about Hyatt extending free night certs? I was supposed to be in Miami Beach right now using mine up. I don't see any way that we would use it before it expires in early May. I haven't seen any mention of Hyatt's policy on this. This one was only 6 month cert from staying 30 nights last year.

I think there was an email a couple weeks back where Hyatt said they are monitoring the situation and will determine what is appropriate in terms of status and award extension. So no news yet, but I expect it won't be much longer given that Hilton and Marriott have made announcements already. Like you, DW has an award night expiring in May that we are hoping will get extended.

you are correct, the goal to give money to people to spend. they do not want people to get this money and keep it.
I'd love to put this toward paying off my car, but it's highly likely going toward air conditioner, either repair or replace. Home warranty won't cover all of it.

Being quarantined with your family is one thing, being quarantined with your family in Texas (Austin hit record high yesterday) and no downstairs air conditioner is NOT FUN. I'm always cold, until the ac goes out lol Thankfully the upstairs unit is keeping up for now, but I don't think that's going to last much longer.

With everything travel in high flux I am seriously considering cashing out MR for HD giftcards. We had saved up for a yard redo (nothing huge but need a shed, some raised beds, a new grill etc) but now I’d rather keep that cash in the bank. Only “downside” is I was gonna save these for a possible 2021 trip, but I have the points to do most of what we wanted via Chase. Hmmmmm very tempting.

With everything travel in high flux I am seriously considering cashing out MR for HD giftcards. We had saved up for a yard redo (nothing huge but need a shed, some raised beds, a new grill etc) but now I’d rather keep that cash in the bank. Only “downside” is I was gonna save these for a possible 2021 trip, but I have the points to do most of what we wanted via Chase. Hmmmmm very tempting.

Have you considered setting up a Schwab One Brokerage account ($100 bonus if you apply via supportal, fund and maintain an average of at least $1,000 for 45 days), open an Amex Schwab Plat (60k MR SUB), so you have the ability to “cash out” MR at 1.25 cpp?

(Might be a good time to invest those points anyway.)

Last edited:
As expected, Southwest is slashing its flights to Hawaii starting April 5, 2020, due to the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine that takes effect today and is expected to run through May 20, 2020.

Southwest will maintain only two roundtrips daily between Oakland and Honolulu, and reduce its inter-island flights to just two or three daily roundtrips between Honolulu and neighboring islands.

Southwest’s schedule already reflects these changes effective April 14 through May 2, with the soon-to-cancel flights April 5-13 unavailable for booking. It has teams looking at the May and June schedules.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/amp/Southwest-Airlines-cuts-Hawaii-flights-15158955.php

I hate myself a little for already filing. I did it before the announcement that it could be extended. And I owed money! We temporarily made too much last year (because of DH getting a severance package), way more than any other year of our lives. So we will get nothing with this package.

So to answer some questions about which tax year will be used this is what was stated in the article @striker1064 posted.

No, they are not taxable. The only catch is that technically a person’s 2020 income is what qualifies them for the payment. Since no one knows their total 2020 income yet, the government is using tax returns from 2019 and 2018 to figure out who qualifies for a check. It is possible that someone may have to pay back some of the money if his or her income this year turns out to be significantly more than it was in 2019 or 2018. That’s expected to be a relatively small share of people, and the money would not have to be paid back until April 15, 2021.

And also The main people excluded from receiving a payment are the wealthy, “nonresident aliens” (i.e., foreigners who do not hold a green card) and “dependents” who can be claimed on someone else’s tax return.

I am thinking that means our college age kiddos will get the $500 if we qualify and nothing if we don't. But I am still not 100% sure. If we do get it for them I will give to them. They are both missing out on income right now.

ETA - Nope, changing my mind on that. Another article says For every child age 16 or under, the payment would be an additional $500.
Here’s an Excellent article by DoC... and interesting thoughts on how people whose income decreases in 2020 may still get their stimulus (just a long time from now):

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-stimulus-should-you-file-your-2019-tax-return-now/

I’m confused why the people on social security get it. They are not out any income at all! 🤷🏻‍♀️ And most don’t pay taxes anymore either.

I can speak on this a bit. In my past job I had approximately 200 employees that worked directly under me. Many of them were people from jobs who found that between social security and even a retiree pension, they still did not have enough income to maintain the lifestyle they enjoyed while working, as in pay for necessary housing and food.
Although some of us can look forward to maxed out social security benefits and other income after retirement, not everyone is that fortunate. In fact, many people on social security are living in poverty to begin with. Add this to 'shelter in place' orders where they can't go to work and earn, they are indeed in need of the help. Many people on social security maintain jobs. In fact, part of my transition out of my job, was informing me how much/limit I could earn by taking my pension and returning to work after 45 days. I had no interest as I was done and had planned for my exit.

Has anyone heard anything about Hyatt extending free night certs? I was supposed to be in Miami Beach right now using mine up. I don't see any way that we would use it before it expires in early May. I haven't seen any mention of Hyatt's policy on this. This one was only 6 month cert from staying 30 nights last year.

There have been two emails but neither has addressed a free night certificate. If you call let us know what you learn. The emails I received were offering points in cancellation cases for advance purchase reservations.

Well it's hard to stimulate the economy right now when so much of it is shut down. And in the past these types of payments are generally saved. Just my $0.02.

Daughter is stimulating the economy from her WFH desk upstairs. Instacart just arrived with ice cream and other necessities. I just spent over $400 a couple days ago. We have tons of food. But Instacart brought 6 bags of stuff. Earlier she had asked if I was going to Safeway during the senior hours. I said no, not since I'd gotten so much at Costco. No more was said. Instacart delivered from Giant in about 30 minutes from her call, despite giving a 4 hour window.
I'm struggling with what to do with the money I'll get for my kids. I've always gotten to claim them on my taxes. That was pretty much the only thing in our settlement agreement I insisted on. We don't really have a formal arrangement for how we handle finances (well we do but we don't follow it--I was supposed to get monthly support). My ex pays for health and dental insurance, we try to split medical bills, tutoring, art class, etc. I was paying for swimming but dd quit that. I do pay her car insurance and provide her with a car (and plan to do the same for ds). I feel like I should give my ex at least half of what I get for the kids though since I already got a $4,000 credit for them when I filed my taxes.

Is there any need to add it to their education funds? If you would feel better offering 1/2, splitting the kids, for you, that might be the right decision. It's so personal, but at times I had no problem helping out my ex. At other times, I had no problem saying no.

The only catch is that technically a person’s 2020 income is what qualifies them for the payment. Since no one knows their total 2020 income yet, the government is using tax returns from 2019 and 2018 to figure out who qualifies for a check. It is possible that someone may have to pay back some of the money if his or her income this year turns out to be significantly more than it was in 2019 or 2018.

Wow I missed this... that is real dumb. I suspect our AGI will increase for 2020 due to new jobs - good for us, of course, but that's going to be annoying when we file our taxes next year. It kinda makes me want to pay the full amount in estimated taxes, which I know is exactly what they don't want us to do.

I can speak on this a bit. In my past job I had approximately 200 employees that worked directly under me. Many of them were people from jobs who found that between social security and even a retiree pension, they still did not have enough income to maintain the lifestyle they enjoyed while working, as in pay for necessary housing and food.
Although some of us can look forward to maxed out social security benefits and other income after retirement, not everyone is that fortunate. In fact, many people on social security are living in poverty to begin with. Add this to 'shelter in place' orders where they can't go to work and earn, they are indeed in need of the help. Many people on social security maintain jobs. In fact, part of my transition out of my job, was informing me how much/limit I could earn by taking my pension and returning to work after 45 days. I had no interest as I was done and had planned for my exit.

There have been two emails but neither has addressed a free night certificate. If you call let us know what you learn. The emails I received were offering points in cancellation cases for advance purchase reservations.

Daughter is stimulating the economy from her WFH desk upstairs. Instacart just arrived with ice cream and other necessities. I just spent over $400 a couple days ago. We have tons of food. But Instacart brought 6 bags of stuff. Earlier she had asked if I was going to Safeway during the senior hours. I said no, not since I'd gotten so much at Costco. No more was said. Instacart delivered from Giant in about 30 minutes from her call, despite giving a 4 hour window.

Is there any need to add it to their education funds? If you would feel better offering 1/2, splitting the kids, for you, that might be the right decision. It's so personal, but at times I had no problem helping out my ex. At other times, I had no problem saying no.
It is so personal. Both kids basically have fully funded 529s (at least for going to a public university in VA). He contributed while we were married (and I did not work) but over the past 10 years I've been the only one contributing.

I"m leaning toward letting him have the entire $1,000.

So I had another text to refill one of my prescriptions. Also a month early. This one was at a different CVS in Virginia because when I needed to submit a script, the paper's date was beyond the 90 days that Maryland's law allows prescriptions to be filled. Virginia allows one year so I hopped across the bridge.

Fast forward to the refill: I went online to have the refill delivered and they couldn't mail it from the store out of state. I didn't want to bother my doctor's office as according to my post man, his office is swamped with people lined up to get in. So I hopped over the bridge again to pick up my 90 day supply.

CVS was empty over there, Belle View Ave store. I had no fear from other customers, the door opened and shut automatically and I brought a bag to drop the pills into. I had wipes with me but they had a popup dispenser plus Purell. I used a wipe on my credit card. I used a glove to pick up the thing to sign. I tossed the glove and walked to my car, where I wiped my own car door handle. I tell you, I did not want to leave the house and I feel paranoia while out. I made my daughter wipe down all the new items.

In this area we have a lot of other state license tags. Saw a NY car as I entered my neighborhood and thought of @Haley R but with the bases and the politicians and the embassies, you can see any state. Not unusual. There were plenty of cars moving out there but not the normal magnitude. And CVS had no Purell or Lysol for sale.

Oy. Ok thanks. I know from other sources they said they'd honor any current tix dated for this spring for a full year...I'm hoping that holds true with ours!
Update: Last night I tweeted my dilemma, including Chase support and UO. This morning UO asked me to DM them and had me take pics of my vouchers and were able to tell me they were good until 12/18/20, which was the info I hadn't been able to get from anyone.
The person I was messaging back and forth was really nice. When I said I wasn't sure if we would be able to go back again this year, she said she would put a notation on my account (gave me a reference #) that I would be able to exchange the vouchers for tickets, even if it spilled into the next year.
I was really impressed with the level of service I received today from UO.

My hospital is currently only allowing one support person which I’m fine with. Having at least one person seems crucial to me whether it be a partner, family member, or doula. So in this case you would have to pick between your partner or a doula but can’t have both (I don’t have a doula). There are two big hospital chains in NY saying absolutely no one in the delivery room, including partners. They are privately owned hospitals. I saw that it was announced that all public hospitals there will allow at least one support person. The petition has very close to 500k people now that have signed it
A petition seems silly since it is per each unique facility. NY has extenuating circumstances going on. Sounds like you are good to go and no need stressing out about it further at this point.

I thought they’d get the $500 too until I started seeing the age 16 and under popping up in articles. Doesn’t the government understand that this is when kids are most expensive for parents or the kids are taking on many new, adult expenses of their own and they could use the money?!?
Exactly! The most expensive age group if they are living at home or in college and have their own expenses if they aren’t.

Update: Last night I tweeted my dilemma, including Chase support and UO. This morning UO asked me to DM them and had me take pics of my vouchers and were able to tell me they were good until 12/18/20, which was the info I hadn't been able to get from anyone.
The person I was messaging back and forth was really nice. When I said I wasn't sure if we would be able to go back again this year, she said she would put a notation on my account (gave me a reference #) that I would be able to exchange the vouchers for tickets, even if it spilled into the next year.
I was really impressed with the level of service I received today from UO.
Oh wow that’s great- I’m gonna call uo!

Here’s an Excellent article by DoC... and interesting thoughts on how people whose income decreases in 2020 may still get their stimulus (just a long time from now):

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/us-stimulus-should-you-file-your-2019-tax-return-now/

Great article - thanks! I was a bit worried about clawbacks. Nice to see that won't be an issue.

Thinking through this . . . for those with an AGI in the phase out range, the stimulus gives a further incentive to contribute to a tax deferred IRA if eligible in 2019 (if you can file quickly) or even in 2020 since the contribution will lower AGI. I realize many aren't eligible since they have retirement plans through their employer; however, many stay at home mom/dads may be eligible to contribute to a spousal IRA. Lots to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter