I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so done with Amex. I just don't want to give them any more business than I have too at this point. I really need to rethink our next steps with them.

Has anyone called for a retention bonus on the Amex Gold (personal)? What was the result?

This has been on my to-do list since I opened my (personal) Gold last October, so your post was the nudge I needed to call in.

After a lengthy call (30 min, because the rep was crazy talkative and I didn't want to be rude), I was offered 15K MR for $2K spend in 3 months. I haven't accepted yet, because my renewal fee is only going to be $195 this year (and it was waived for the 1st year anyway) so I'm wondering if I want to pay that lower AF and fish around for a retention offer in Oct 2020 when my fee goes up to $250. I have a few days to decide. But there's the whole bird in the hand thing...

A reminder to do your research and read multiple sources before making cc decisions. A quote from a TPG article today that I won’t bother to link because it was a waste of time to read...

“More recently, we’ve seen Amex claw back points from people who downgraded or closed their account at the one year mark in order to avoid paying an annual fee on a card they never intended to keep.”​

This is straight up Crap. If you wait the full year and then downgrade/cancel your card you are fine. Idiots who downgrade/cancel before the first year failed to read the fine print of their bonus offer and get the bonus clawed back by Amex because they require you keep the card 12 months. TPG is scarring people into paying the 2nd year AF. You don’t have to pay the AF, you can cancel and get the AF refunded if you do it in the first month after it hits your account. ALWAYS BE AWARE OF BLOGGER’S ANGLES. This particular article was a masterful piece of Crap that could have been written by Amex themselves- and for all we know it was. Bloggers value their relationships with banks far more than they value you.

I’ve been seeing 10k MR/$1.5k spend/3 months, 15k/$2k/3, 20k/$3k/3, and 30k/$4k/3 retentions offers, likely depending on the level of spend you put on the card among other factors.

Thanks for sharing this. DH's AF should be showing up soon, and I think he wants to keep the card (although, really, we only need one I guess) so any sort of retention bonus would help keeping it a better decision.

I am so done with Amex. I just don't want to give them any more business than I have too at this point. I really need to rethink our next steps with them.

Has anyone called for a retention bonus on the Amex Gold (personal)? What was the result?
Why? What did they do?

You ever feel like the guy who did something “cool” a long time before it became cool?? I quit Amex over a year ago due to all of my issues with the way they were conducting business...seems I may have some more friends in that camp soon. Sorry you’re stuck here - the only advice I can give is that I don’t miss them one bit.

You are the cool kid for sure!

I have had Amex since 2009 for Delta. And I will still keep at least one Delta card but the claw backs were the first nail (I only self supported twice and it was something that was not hard to do and something that Amex did not explicitly warn against). So the first nail was the claw backs. Then the not allowing gift cards on the already incredibly difficult (compared to Chase) travel credit. The fact that the AF’s are a little ridiculous. Finally, the fact that because of my self support I am labeled as misusing the system and can no longer have that option at all. It really grates on me for some reason; even though I still have option for it on P2’s card.

Basically, I don’t MS so all my spend is my own organic spending that when it is spent with Amex means it isn’t spent on Chase or even the Arrival Plus. Not to mention that it is exhausting making sure spend is kept up on all the cards. Amex basically allows stuff and then punish when they feel like it. It feels like they can change the rules on a whim and then just rely back on vague boiler plate language if challenged. It is all too much DRAMA at this point.

I got into MR’s for the SkyMiles. I am contemplating transferring my 400k MR’s just over to Delta and calling it good. Part of me just wants to go back to our eating out and travel on the CSR and groceries and gas on the Disney and CIC. Everyday spend on FU, CIU, or Arrival Plus. I visit the shun corner off and on and it is really quite nice. :)

Last edited:

I have had Amex since 2009 for Delta. And I will still keep at least one Delta card but the claw backs were the first nail (I only self supported twice and it was something that was not hard to do and something that Amex did not explicitly warn against). So the first nail was the claw backs. Then the not allowing gift cards on the already incredibly difficult (compared to Chase) travel credit. The fact that the AF’s are a little ridiculous. Finally, the fact that because of my self support I am labeled as misusing the system and can no longer have that option at all. It really grates on me for some reason; even though I still have option for it on P2’s card.

Basically, I don’t MS so all my spend is my own organic spending that when it is spent with Amex means it isn’t spent on Chase or even the Arrival Plus. Not to mention that it is exhausting making sure spend is kept up on all the cards. Amex basically allows stuff and then punish when they feel like it. It feels like they can change the rules on a whim and then just rely back on vague boiler plate language if challenged. It is all too much DRAMA at this point.

I got into MR’s for the SkyMiles. I am contemplating just transferring my 400k MR’s just over to Delta and calling it good. Part of me just wants to go back to our eating out and travel on the CSR and groceries and gas on the Disney and CIC. Everyday spend on FU, CIU, or Arrival Plus. I visit the shun corner off and on and it is really quite nice. :)
The constant threat of losing MRs over bs is one of the reasons I waited so long to start this game. I just couldn’t keep myself under 5/24 as a solo player so here I find myself tangoing with a freakin RAT.

I got into MR’s for the SkyMiles. I am contemplating just transferring my 400k MR’s just over to Delta and calling it good. Part of me just wants to go back to our eating out and travel on the CSR and groceries and gas on the Disney and CIC. Everyday spend on FU, CIU, or Arrival Plus. I visit the shun corner off and on and it is really quite nice. :)
Chase shuts people down. I wonder how long it will be before they shut down people for churning CIP's. It seems like all the banks allow stuff....until one day they don't.

Chase shuts people down. I wonder how long it will be before they shut down people for churning CIP's. It seems like all the banks allow stuff....until one day they don't.
Chase lets shutdowns liquidate their points. Amex clawsback all the points and then clawsback statement credits- even on closed cards sending people to collections. Amex is a heckuva lot nastier.

Don’t have to worry about Chase shutdowns if you can’t get any Chase cards.

smart@2x.jpg

I wish we had Infinity as an option. Sadly, we live off of a main road and our side of the street does not have that option but the other side does. Our neighbor is trying to get that corrected but in the meantime we are AT&T.
Xfinity is not that great. Both AT&T and Xfinity are too expensive. My mom pays $200 a month for home phone, internet and TV. No premium channels.
I'm not ready to apply yet but I want to make sure I understand the airline credit on the Amex Hilton Aspire.

I know I have to select an airline first. I just don't fly much so I am concerned about it going to waste.

Does it work to purchase actual airline tickets? Could I purchase a flight (say on Southwest) from PHX to LAX or something and use that card and then they reimburse me the cost of the ticket?

If it does NOT work on a plane ticket, what other types of things could I possibly use it on? I won't have the card until after I've (tried to) get my reward tickets, so I can't use it on whatever fees are going to be associated with that.
It sadly doesn’t work for tickets. Mine is set for SW and it paid for the taxes on my flights. Honestly it’s a pain to use. You also have to make sure you choose an airline before you make any charges.
I feel like we would get really lonely always being by ourselves. I’m that person that tries to make conversation in line for rides so I’ll have no problems talking at dinner.
You are ... my mother.
I am the opposite. DS is taking after my mom. 🙄

I know there were quite a few people around her planning on Japan for next summer, and I just saw that the blogger who shan't be named posted about good availability on ANA in Bus/First today. Probably too late, but thought I'd mention it.

AA’s anytime award price was 90k miles per person. They must be on crack. I could fly to Tokyo in JAL first class for that amount of AA miles. So, I booked the return flights with 112k Amex MRs and will get 35% of those points back since I hold the Amex Plat biz card.

Ha! I had the same thought about United today. They are soooo on crack with their new award pricing (see below).

I also bagged a unicorn on United--and something I think will be seen even less often after November ... RT saver awards for SFO to LHR (one stop) in Business for 60k miles each way. I decided to take a last minute trip in a couple weeks, and there they were. Sold!

Finding United Saver availability from SFO to LHR is horrible. I can't remember the last time I found one when I was searching. I've tried numerous times even when they supposedly drop and nada. They have plenty of regular business at 155k each way but savers are mostly partner awards. So just for fun, I looked at flights dropping today in September with the new dynamic pricing in effect ... OMG ridiculous. Regular business awards for 240,000 each way. That is more Chase URs than it took me to fly RT to Japan in First Class on JAL. So basically after this trip I'm writing United off as a way to get to LHR. I wasn't even that impressed with Polaris--totally depends on the plane. For 60k fine, but 240k? No thanks. I guess I'll be resigned to my fees on BA and VS. I'm actually contemplating the new BA chase card that wipes off some of the fees.

I'm swimming against the tide around here with AMEX but I really love DH's new Schwab Platinum. I used the Saks credit today and he had a great AT&T offer on there again. I do wish it was easier to use the travel credit though. I miss the SWA gift card option. I guess I'll go the route on FlyerTalk, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Okay I feel dumb- @calypso726 or anyone else I was following your advice/guidance on BA Avois for an AA flight. Saver award is available on AA but I can’t even find the flights on the BA website. I did google but it just says “book via BA!” very vague haha

Okay I feel dumb- @calypso726 or anyone else I was following your advice/guidance on BA Avois for an AA flight. Saver award is available on AA but I can’t even find the flights on the BA website. I did google but it just says “book via BA!” very vague haha

BA is weird sometimes and doesnt always show. u may need to click around to make it show... but id probably call them to make a booking because BA does have Phantom awards.
remember though BA only has access to MileSaavers and not AAnytime.

BA is weird sometimes and doesnt always show. u may need to click around to make it show... but id probably call them to make a booking because BA does have Phantom awards.
remember though BA only has access to MileSaavers and not AAnytime.

So it isn’t that it isn’t avaible but it says that route doesn’t exist. Does that make sense? This is a flight that happens several times a day and I’ve tried several dates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter