I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, sorry to hear this, but I completely understand your reasoning! Very few know I actually purchased. Unfortunately, it is just easier that way.

Hopefully your Mickey head does not turn purple when you enter the parks. Also be careful applying any food or merchandise discounts. I guess it is a blessing in disguise that the CP packages cannot be discounted lol 🤣
Our Mickey heads turned purple in Aug and the CM was all "Welcome Home" lol. But my mom wouldn't have a clue what that meant. So, not too worried about that. I WON'T be carrying my dvc backpack around the park, like I did in Aug. I had a CM in Epcot go out of his way to yell "Welcome Home! Thank you for being DVC" :oops: I think what I am most worried about is the MVMCP. We are going with my mom and stepdad. DVC can enter at 2pm,rather than 4pm. SO, how do I do that and get around them hearing/seeing anything??

SOOOOO, small disclosure....my mom and stepdad are going with us in December. They want to see their grand-daughter perform in the CP - who wouldn't?? - SO, they are not Disney fans but they are going. They don't know we bought in to DVC. My mom is super frugal and thinks DVC is a horrible, horrible investment cause all 'timeshares' are bad. I don't want her to know we bought in. I'm keeping it a secret so I think I will have to forgo the dvc lounge this trip :guilty: I'm so sad about that. We loved hanging out there in Aug. It was just a lovely addition to our Epcot day!
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. My parents were against time shares too. But when I explained everything about DVC to them they were behind it 100% and have repeatedly told me that they are happy for us that we bought in. Mainly because they know how much we enjoy going to Disney and having DVC helps ensure that we go. Hopefully your mom will come around eventually. In the meantime, do what ever is right for you make your trip enjoyable with them.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. My parents were against time shares too. But when I explained everything about DVC to them they were behind it 100% and have repeatedly told me that they are happy for us that we bought in. Mainly because they know how much we enjoy going to Disney and having DVC helps ensure that we go. Hopefully your mom will come around eventually. In the meantime, do what ever is right for you make your trip enjoyable with them.
My mom was against it in 2011 when I tried to explain and she would be the same now. It's sad cause I think that shaped our thinking for many years.

Our Mickey heads turned purple in Aug and the CM was all "Welcome Home" lol. But my mom wouldn't have a clue what that meant. So, not too worried about that. I WON'T be carrying my dvc backpack around the park, like I did in Aug. I had a CM in Epcot go out of his way to yell "Welcome Home! Thank you for being DVC" :oops: I think what I am most worried about is the MVMCP. We are going with my mom and stepdad. DVC can enter at 2pm,rather than 4pm. SO, how do I do that and get around them hearing/seeing anything??
Good that she won't realize about the purple. The 2pm MVMCP entry may be hard. I have walked by and the sign is small, but the CMs could casually say something about you being members. Would you be willing to sacrifice the 2 "free" hours to keep the secret? Tough spot to be in!

Good that she won't realize about the purple. The 2pm MVMCP entry may be hard. I have walked by and the sign is small, but the CMs could casually say something about you being members. Would you be willing to sacrifice the 2 "free" hours to keep the secret? Tough spot to be in!
I was doing it more for them. We have AP's so we can go in whenever we want. They are only wanting two park days. I thought they could go for Epcot on the day that my dd performs and then for the party. But yeah, they could get an extra 2 hours if they go in at 2pm with us. But we risk the 'secret' coming out...

My mom was against it in 2011 when I tried to explain and she would be the same now. It's sad cause I think that shaped our thinking for many years.
That is sad. But it’s hard to go against our parents thinking even as adults. I honestly can’t remember now though if I told my parents about before or after we bought in.
We also went to a time share presentation ( not DVC) years before with my parents. One of those that was to get free tickets to Disney. That colored our opinion for a few years on time shares in general.

That is sad. But it’s hard to go against our parents thinking even as adults. I honestly can’t remember now though if I told my parents about before or after we bought in.
We also went to a time share presentation ( not DVC) years before with my parents. One of those that was to get free tickets to Disney. That colored our opinion for a few years on time shares in general.
My dh's parents owned a timeshare that they eventually grew tired of and then couldn't sell. So, they quit paying on it and had to get lawyers involved and such to get rid of it. That definitely tainted their thinking. And then, like I said, my mom is just so frugal. To the point that she cannot ever just have a little fun with money. So, between both of our parents, we felt tremendous pressure to not buy into a timeshare. Obviously, dvc is not your normal timeshare, but most outside of Disney peeps don't understand that.

I was doing it more for them. We have AP's so we can go in whenever we want. They are only wanting two park days. I thought they could go for Epcot on the day that my dd performs and then for the party. But yeah, they could get an extra 2 hours if they go in at 2pm with us. But we risk the 'secret' coming out...
Since you have your APs and "years of vacations you will never outgrow" (I had to...) it may be easiest to forgo those 2 hours for them. If it creates less stress for you and makes for no awkward discussions during your vacation with your mom, it may be more beneficial than having them get into MK a little earlier.
I am fortunate that no one in my family besides the people I travel to WDW with actually know what DVC is. The others would probably think it is some hotel loyalty program I signed up for if they saw my magnet. 🤣

My dh's parents owned a timeshare that they eventually grew tired of and then couldn't sell. So, they quit paying on it and had to get lawyers involved and such to get rid of it. That definitely tainted their thinking. And then, like I said, my mom is just so frugal. To the point that she cannot ever just have a little fun with money. So, between both of our parents, we felt tremendous pressure to not buy into a timeshare. Obviously, dvc is not your normal timeshare, but most outside of Disney peeps don't understand that.
That does make it more understandable. Sorry they had to go through that. And sorry you have to keep it a secret.

I just returned from the Dis Podcast ABD- London, Paris, and DLP.

I paid for the podcast primarily with discounted disney gift cards-usually from 9-25% off. This trip was not inexpensive but I did use points/miles to assist in defraying the transportation costs.

tink flying from home (PNS)-
PNS-ATL Delta Skymiles (open jaw PNS-ATL, MCO-ATL-PNS) first class, 42K Skymiles

DH flying from near his work (ECP)-
ECP-ATL RT comfort +, 25K skymiles

DH, tink flying from ATL-
ATL-LHR, Delta One (biz), 86Kx2=172K skymiles

tink flying from CDG
CDG-DUB, Europe biz-25K skymiles

DH flying from CDG
CDG-ATL, comfort +, 50K skymiles

tink, flying from DUB
DUB-MCO, biz on Aer Lingus, 37.5K MRs (62.5K but 40% transfer bonus from Amex)

Hotels-
ATL-Marriott 35K certificate-ATL Gateway Renaissance

DUB-Fitzwilliam Hotel, prepaid with Hotels.com gift certificates bought on sale

MCO-Hyatt MCO Regency Hotel, 12K URs transferred to Hyatt

***all flights paid for with a combination of skymiles/MRs (some of the Delta flights I used a combination of skymiles including transferred MRs to skymiles).

***sharp eyes might note that Tink's DH was not always in first/biz...well, when P1 makes the flight arrangements and P0.0000002 is difficult about playing this game...he gets comfort + !

MRs can be very helpful for redemption for international flights-I used them for Delta One and Aer Lingus business. As always, I had a good experience on Delta One and Aer Lingus was adequate- not as good as my Delta One and United Polaris experience but not terrible.

I've posted brief reviews on the Renaissance and Hyatt on the I love credit cards hotels reviews.

Impressive!!! That's a really good redemption for Sky Pesos!

I thought the DLP hotel was like a tired GF in need of a bit of TLC but I loved it all the same and would happily stay there again.

Was the activity with the imagineer an exclusive PodCast or ABD DLP thing or is that something that could be booked OYO like some of the tours and behind the scenes activities in WDW?

Comfort Plus? You are much nicer than I would be with a reluctant P2. I would have booked basic economy and waited for P2 to walk past my comfy seat, raised my glass of champagne, smiled and said, "Bye Felicia!"

I am fortunate that no one in my family besides the people I travel to WDW with actually know what DVC is. The others would probably think it is some hotel loyalty program I signed up for if they saw my magnet. 🤣
I thought my mom might have forgotten about us telling them about dvc in 2011 and would think it was just a loyalty program too... BUT recently, she was telling me about how her dentist did the DCP and met his wife in the DCP and they have kids and go all the time now and own DVC :oops: Rutt-Ro. She knows what DVC is!

SOOOOO, small disclosure....my mom and stepdad are going with us in December. They want to see their grand-daughter perform in the CP - who wouldn't?? - SO, they are not Disney fans but they are going. They don't know we bought in to DVC. My mom is super frugal and thinks DVC is a horrible, horrible investment cause all 'timeshares' are bad. I don't want her to know we bought in. I'm keeping it a secret so I think I will have to forgo the dvc lounge this trip :guilty: I'm so sad about that. We loved hanging out there in Aug. It was just a lovely addition to our Epcot day!

When we bought in 2006 my brother told me that I was stupid for spending that kind of money. Every year that we go on the family trip I remind him how I would not be able to provide a family trip if not for DVC. I also inform him how much money I could make selling DVC if I chose too which is far more than we paid. I have explained that DVC was a better investment than the stock market. It appreciates in value over time due to ROFR and I get to reap the benefits of said value while my "investment appreciates"and is far more secure of an investment and less volatile than the stock market. He has since then changed his opinion.

I thought my mom might have forgotten about us telling them about dvc in 2011 and would think it was just a loyalty program too... BUT recently, she was telling me about how her dentist did the DCP and met his wife in the DCP and they have kids and go all the time now and own DVC :oops: Rutt-Ro. She knows what DVC is!
UGH! But it is better that you know beforehand than hoping she didn't and having an awkward MVMCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter