I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we bought in 2006 my brother told me that I was stupid for spending that kind of money. Every year that we go on the family trip I remind him how I would not be able to provide a family trip if not for DVC. I also inform him how much money I could make selling DVC if I chose too which is far more than we paid. I have explained that DVC was a better investment than the stock market. It appreciates in value over time due to ROFR and I get to reap the benefits of said value while my "investment appreciates"and is far more secure of an investment and less volatile than the stock market. He has since then changed his opinion.
This is so true. I've not seen any reports of people losing money on dvc. It just doesn't happen!

Just got my first ever Amex earlier this month. Right now it's so new, "I don't have a payment due right now." It does say my closing date will be October 22.

Does anyone know when the payment will be due?

Just got my first ever Amex earlier this month. Right now it's so new, "I don't have a payment due right now." It does say my closing date will be October 22.

Does anyone know when the payment will be due?
My Rose Gold closed 9/24 and is due 10/18 so I would think around 11/16.

There's usually an 'other' option if nothing else seems to fit. That works
This question pops up every now and then. I always recommend “other,” since “unemployed” has such a negative stigma and SAH spouses, mothers and fathers don’t just “stay at home”; they do valuable work for the family that have real economic worth even if it’s not in the form of a paycheck. Like @miztressuz, selecting “other” works — many have been approved, and it certainly won’t sink an application.
I did use other. Looks like I need to call. called the status line and it wants to transfer me right away. Uggggh.

When we bought in 2006 my brother told me that I was stupid for spending that kind of money. Every year that we go on the family trip I remind him how I would not be able to provide a family trip if not for DVC. I also inform him how much money I could make selling DVC if I chose too which is far more than we paid. I have explained that DVC was a better investment than the stock market. It appreciates in value over time due to ROFR and I get to reap the benefits of said value while my "investment appreciates"and is far more secure of an investment and less volatile than the stock market. He has since then changed his opinion.

I just priced out what I have using current resale prices and the value is double what I paid. I paid lower than retail at the time using my cm discount, so 56.75 (give or take a quarter or two as I'm not digging out the paperwork) for BWV. I then paid varying amounts for the other 3 properties. I do realize that my sale value would vary depending on loaded or stripped contracts and that I would pay a premium for selling. The amazing thing is all of mine are 2042 properties (I will be 89 in 2042 but actually 88 when I would use the points.)

I have one property - Vero Beach - that I am always considering selling. It's only 50 points and I figured the asking price would have dropped on this one considering the resale limitations, but it's still collecting what I consider to be a premium penny for the location. I would then buy more Hilton Head with the cash. Haven't sold yet as I'm always able to use the points to get most of what I want at 7 months at Hilton Head. If I were to buy more points, I would want another 150 at Hilton Head.

My ex - BIL, an accountant, advised my ex-husband and myself strongly not to buy a timeshare back in the day. We had gone up to the Berkshires, mostly to get the free gifts, which were basically trash, but it made for a fun day out. We had no intention of buying at the time, but we got the speech about the evils of buying a timeshare.

Time passed and it took me 3 years of research before I bought DVC. I've never regretted it. And, same accountant ex-BIL eventually bought the Hilton Grand Vacations Club over by the outlets where Character Warehouse is. He should have asked my opinion, but they may have been a little ritzier than the DVC units when first built. I doubt they still own it. Not Disney people at all that I know of.

Meanwhile my niece, who is Disney people, bought her latest rental property over by Reunion off Lake Wilson Rd. It backs up to the Championsgate area for people who know that area. If you need 9 bedrooms, the property is just a couple of years old and it's 10 minutes or less from Animal Kingdom coming in off Sherbeth Rd. For that kind of money I would have considered or at least looked at Golden Oak.

Feeling sad for you on this one. I was lucky and found it on my Gold (which also has some weird spend $1K get an extra 1.5K MRs deal on it that I can actually use). DH wasn't so lucky and didn't find it on a single one of his handful of AMEX cards.

I had it on my rose gold but DH only had it on his Bonvoy. It is like they sense he is the one that does the actual grocery shopping!

I'm nervous to see Epcot in December. When we were there in Aug, it was the end of Club Cool and the fountains. I was so sad it was all ending but there were no walls yet. I don't want to see Epcot all walled up :( Glad your family had a great time getting to be all together!

I had read about it of course but seeing it in reality was pretty stark. Walls surrounding both sides of Spaceship Earth is a little ridiculous.

I am not looking forward to that either, but plan to spend most of time in the world showcase. Except when I am visiting the DVC lounge or riding soarin 😎

Lounge is one of those little things that on the purchasing board here they constantly remind “perks can end at any time“ blah blah blah. But if you can go there it really is quite nice and makes you feel happy with your purchase. I am glad they have kept it.

This is so true. I've not seen any reports of people losing money on dvc. It just doesn't happen!

I only had my direct OKW contract a year and still came out ahead. And even if it is a wash (which doesn’t happen) at least you get the points and vacations in nice rooms out of it. We are paying cash for the two nights at AKV and I am like wait this would have been only 50 points...I could have put this $1000 down on a 50 point AKV contract I would have long term!

My in-laws don’t know we bought DVC. They just know we go all the time. We are judged enough for that. My parents know but they have a couple Marriott timeshares so are not in a position to judge at least out loud.

I am sorry you have to keep it quiet just to make life easier but completely understand. Sometimes the drama is not worth it. :)

People who couldn't keep it due to divorce, or other life occurrences lost money. Some people financed it and lost it due to job loss. I'm talking of the earlier days. Although it didn't overall lose value, there were down times and slow times. Also, the DIS and TUG, and now Timeshare store and Davids are a big help for those who want to rent out instead of letting points expire.

Plus, people in jeopardy of losing are maybe not always the best planners and in times of personal upheaval, people don't always come to terms and agree on whats best and they will sometimes sabotage rather than rescue or preserve.

I had it on my rose gold but DH only had it on his Bonvoy. It is like they sense he is the one that does the actual grocery shopping!

I had read about it of course but seeing it in reality was pretty stark. Walls surrounding both sides of Spaceship Earth is a little ridiculous.

Lounge is one of those little things that on the purchasing board here they constantly remind “perks can end at any time“ blah blah blah. But if you can go there it really is quite nice and makes you feel happy with your purchase. I am glad they have kept it.

I'm hoping that since I'll enter Epcot through International Gateway that I won't even notice the walls unless I go to MK by monorail. I can get to the Land by cutting diagonally up the path that has all the rose bushes. Although what is the Starbucks situation? Is it still open or relocated? I have Starbucks gift cards and that is part of my budget next trip.

I love having the lounge! Someone mentioned changes, maybe @wendow, but I haven't heard what they are? The only changes I've seen were some replaced furniture - the deep chairs disappeared shortly after they opened. I had to sort of roll to get out of them like I have to with my beach sand chairs - it's my knees, not my overall weight and condition.

Congrats sorry for the delay finally caught up since phone gets so many pop ups.
I use the bug soap from the basin and it works great for everyone in my family. Haven’t used bug spray this summer thanks to the bug soap. Haven’t gotten mosquito bites either. Use it in the am and outside all day and night while camping.
What is this mysterious bug soap I’ve never heard about before?

My mom was against it in 2011 when I tried to explain and she would be the same now. It's sad cause I think that shaped our thinking for many years.

You're nicer than me to care, tbh. We buy what we want with our money, other opinions be damned. You spent the money for the benefit of your family - don't hide it, be proud of it. If you are taking care of your family, paying your bills, not asking for handouts then no one should have any opinions on how you earn and spend your money.

Then again I care very little about what other's think about most things. 🤷‍♀️ Live your life girl.

Informed Delivery has a $5 Staples reward for me today! Happy about this because I still haven't used my Chase Staples offer and now I'll do a $65 purchase - $50 Disney gift card and 14.99 for coffee pods, so $8.99 for 24 pods. Plus I have to do my Amex one also.

In other news, the trip to my mechanic has resulted in a higher expense than the usual oil change and brake adjustments and cleanings. I need an intake manifold gasket and that's pricey. I knew there was a problem before I took it in as I'd been seeing spots on my driveway which were unusual, but also it's old. Didn't even mention it to my guy as I actually forgot. The good news is it will finish off my MSR on my CIU, which I had set to the side after doing $2300 of it in a few days.
Now I have to get the pressure washer out and clean my driveway.....

I'm hoping that since I'll enter Epcot through International Gateway that I won't even notice the walls unless I go to MK by monorail. I can get to the Land by cutting diagonally up the path that has all the rose bushes. Although what is the Starbucks situation? Is it still open or relocated? I have Starbucks gift cards and that is part of my budget next trip.

I love having the lounge! Someone mentioned changes, maybe @wendow, but I haven't heard what they are? The only changes I've seen were some replaced furniture - the deep chairs disappeared shortly after they opened. I had to sort of roll to get out of them like I have to with my beach sand chairs - it's my knees, not my overall weight and condition.

You should be able to take the path to the Land.

Starbucks is closed and behind walls. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!