• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun Midweek Exercise - How many Cards have you gotten?
Obviously yesterday I shared the exciting news of being approved for my 80th card as a churner. (This does not include the Discover card I got back in 2002 as I wasn't churning then). I'm sure we have some other VERY prolific churners, and others just starting out who are proud of their accomplishments so far. If you aren't able to answer this question - perhaps this is a good time to sign up for an Experian.com free account or CreditKarma and figure out just how many cards you have gotten!

Gotta keep that spreadsheet up to date :D :teacher: :D

Here's a list of questions to answer if you want to participate:

1) When did you begin churning? (feel free to expound on this a little bit if you have details to share)

2) Are you in 1 player mode or 2 player mode?

3) How many cards have you gotten total? (and how many for each player if you are in 2 player mode)

4) IF APPLICABLE: What is one card you have gotten that is somewhat peculiar or not mainstream?

5) Share any other details you think might be fun about your churning efforts.
1) On 1/12/18 P2 got the SW Plus and Premier cards . I had never even heard of churning but had learned about the CP through Ryan on the Backside of Magic Podcast. I was asking questions on the SW thread here on the Dis and @SouthFayetteFan gave me some pointers and invited me to check out the original I love credit cards thread. From there I was hooked.

2) We are in 2 player mode and P2 is happy to let me do whatever I want as long as I don't get in any trouble lol.

3) 19 cards total (P1=10 cards and P2=9)

4) I don't think I have anything that is not mainstream.

5) We will be going on our first "totally free vacation" in April. Flying our family of 4 on SW (on points using 2 CPs) to Cancun. We are staying club level at the all-inclusive Finest Playa Mujeres in a two-story suite with plunge pool for a week (URs through CSR portal). The only expenses should be tips and souvenirs (and the SW fees that aren't covered by points). Can't wait!

For this, I think the short of it is, plan your cards around your spend... don't plan your spend around your cards.

I try to find MSRs that match our normal spending patterns. 5k is hard for us in 3 months normally, but for a magical time during the summer several bills align so that we're just hemoraging money. (Then we start saving up for it to happen all over again next year. Vicious cycle. ) So I held off applying for the CIP until then. And I run numbers constantly to see what we can take on and when as things come up. I think having a road map of goals and what cards will achieve those goals makes it easier to slot in cards when offers make sense and line up with our spend. While I'm not a prolific churner, as evidenced by our numbers, so far it's been working as our points balances are at all time highs and we have options we wouldn't have considered before.
Good advice. Since I've started paying all my bills with credit cards it's harder for me to keep track of what is bills and what is actually spending. I really like using just 1 or 2 cards all the time. Using multiple cards makes it harder to keep track of my spending. I've had a system that I've used for years now it's changed. I have to come up with a new system.
I got my week off in February. I'm not sure what we're going to do, but I know it will eat up a whole MSR. I've run out of business cards I want or that I can get I'm 5/24. I thought about the Hilton Biz, but that would just be another Amex card I would have to cancel. I already have three I'm going to cancel next Summer. I think I'm done with MSR for a few months.

For this, I think the short of it is, plan your cards around your spend... don't plan your spend around your cards.

I try to find MSRs that match our normal spending patterns. 5k is hard for us in 3 months normally, but for a magical time during the summer several bills align so that we're just hemoraging money. (Then we start saving up for it to happen all over again next year. Vicious cycle. ) So I held off applying for the CIP until then. And I run numbers constantly to see what we can take on and when as things come up. I think having a road map of goals and what cards will achieve those goals makes it easier to slot in cards when offers make sense and line up with our spend. While I'm not a prolific churner, as evidenced by our numbers, so far it's been working as our points balances are at all time highs and we have options we wouldn't have considered before.
Exactly. I'm going for a CIP before December b/c I'm going to pay our real estate taxes and then I have our car insurance for the year due in January..... that would be an easy one!

That’s fantastic! I have heard about the Semester at Sea. My older DD looked into to, but she ended up doing the DCP instead. So wonderful that two of your kids were able to take advantage of such great opportunities. I hope that our son may try to study abroad.

My DD just texted me the other day about Semester at Sea - but said it was $40,000. Yeah - not doing that..

That’s fantastic! I have heard about the Semester at Sea. My older DD looked into to, but she ended up doing the DCP instead. So wonderful that two of your kids were able to take advantage of such great opportunities. I hope that our son may try to study abroad.

My DD just texted me the other day about Semester at Sea - but said it was $40,000. Yeah - not doing that..
Thanks for the rec! Just added to my goodreads To Read list.

I just finished another book by the same author as Behind Closed Doors that I recommended last week. This was called The Breakdown. It was even better than the first. I really like this author. Same psychological thriller genre. I couldn’t stop listening.

I’m up to 29 books so far this year. Way behind my goal and usual total of around 50.

I am reading Behind Closed Doors right now - thanks to your recommendation. Very good book. About 2/3 of the way through. Will have to add The Breakdown to my Kindle. Thanks.

My Citi AA biz statement closed yesterday and I'm seeing the SUB was earned. [REDACTED].
Given our new approach to information such as this, You might consider editing that and sharing it on DISchurners here:
If we can figure out a rhyme or reason to how to get these bonuses to post (especially without mailers) it would be information we want to PROTECT.

I am reading Behind Closed Doors right now - thanks to your recommendation. Very good book. About 2/3 of the way through. Will have to add The Breakdown to my Kindle. Thanks.
I added both to my list to read! They’re a little out of my normal genre but that could be good

@Haley R I think you use Walmart grocery (and any others that shop there). They are offering free grocery delivery for the month of October using the code HOMEFREE. I have a $5 off offer in my Chase so will finally give it a try.
Wow I’ve never done delivery before. I wonder if they would still let us use our $10 off $50. If not I’ll probably just stick with picking it up.

Given our new approach to information such as this, You might consider editing that and sharing it on DISchurners here:
If we can figure out a rhyme or reason to how to get these bonuses to post (especially without mailers) it would be information we want to PROTECT.
Struggling to figure out how to post--it won't let me click on "post." Went back and edited.

Never mind--I hit comment and it's up.

Just back from Chicago and going back next week, LOL. I've stayed all over Chicago. And just did the Waldorf if you have free hilton nights. I've stayed at the Sheraton on the Water (can't remember the name) it was nice. The W by Navy Pier, The Intercontinental on Mich Ave and the Westin on the river. I say if you're close to Michigan Ave anything you pick will be fine.

As for things to do....I LOVE the Architectural River Cruise. I like Chicago Line Cruises (I've done them all) they offer free cookies and starbucks which is a hit w/ the students. You'll likely see my most fav buildings (the "corn cobs"). Hey, I teach Architecture. The museums are good (art, science and industry). Shedd's aquarium. Hit Millennium Park and see Cloudgate! Navy Pier is touristy, but my students like it. If it's a clear day, do the Sears (I refuse to call it Willis Tower) and go out in the cubes, LOL. There's the Hancock on Michigan Ave too. If you want to venture out and like Architecture, the Frank Lloyd Wright tours are fun. You must eat chicago style pizza. We hit a speak easy last weekend that was interesting (The Violet Room). Shopping obv. There's so much to do. I love Chicago!

Thanks so much! I actually was looking at the architectural cruise, you might have convinced me. :D

Exactly. I'm going for a CIP before December b/c I'm going to pay our real estate taxes and then I have our car insurance for the year due in January..... that would be an easy one!
I totally screwed up with this last night. After 11 years of marriage, DW and I recently decided to actually go on a budget but I had planned my cards based on previous months instead of this month. With paying off car #2 next month I am realizing that I need to plan better. We can probably still hit $5k in 3 months organically but I picked up a $5k CIP MSR last night and need to apply for the SW Biz Performance in the next couple of weeks for another $5k in a little over 3 months. That 10k plus another 3k starting in December is going to be rough so I am looking for alternatives. I want to stick to a monthly budget so don't want to prepay too many bills. I'm probably going to have to Venmo a big chunk on the SW Biz Performance... and definitely have to start planning my cards around my spend.

Struggling to figure out how to post--it won't let me click on "post." Went back and edited.

Never mind--I hit comment and it's up.
Thanks for exercising discretion there! That was a very valuable DP - and if we can isolate what works and what doesn't that will be important information! Anybody looking for more AA miles should check out what @havaneselover just shared in our AA thread on DISchurners. Also, it would be helpful if others shared their recent DPs there as well!

ooohhhh! I did not know that. nice!

Well the games start friday morning, but we have to all travel thursday. There is a big convention thing set up for everyone starting at 2pm Thursday and our team is meeting at the hotel that pm for a costume party so they will be fine. DD3 did ToT at MNSSHP in Sept, so she is good too.
When my kids played, I was usually the team mom....and use to collect candy from the other parents...to make each kid a nice bag of candy since they couldn’t trick or treat

I totally screwed up with this last night. After 11 years of marriage, DW and I recently decided to actually go on a budget but I had planned my cards based on previous months instead of this month. With paying off car #2 next month I am realizing that I need to plan better. We can probably still hit $5k in 3 months organically but I picked up a $5k CIP MSR last night and need to apply for the SW Biz Performance in the next couple of weeks for another $5k in a little over 3 months. That 10k plus another 3k starting in December is going to be rough so I am looking for alternatives. I want to stick to a monthly budget so don't want to prepay too many bills. I'm probably going to have to Venmo a big chunk on the SW Biz Performance... and definitely have to start planning my cards around my spend.

Are you using Plastiq? I've been using that for my car loan to hit CIP MSR.

FYI: There are THREE 8/15 mailers posted on the churningmarketplace for $80 right now. First mailers shared in a week.

Any questions regarding this should go to DISchurners. If you don't know what I'm talking about here, PM me, lol!

EDIT: and they are all GONE already. Wow those went fast - less than an hour!

Last edited:
Barclays Aviator Business 75,000 Mile Working Link:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply...-619e-4adc-94bc-c5c16985bc98&hctky=1704606708
EDIT: I do believe this matches the all-time high offer on this card...

The offer for this card has been all over the board recently. Per DoC the link above should have this offer:
Earn up to 75,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles
  • Earn 65,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
  • Earn 10,000 miles when a purchase is made on an employee card
  • The $95 Annual Fee is NOT waived
Just a reminder that this card carries some odd baggage with it:
  • Some people have reported significant issues getting approved (asking for biz documentation and such) - Others have not had that issue
  • Barclays can be weird about churners - some get caught up in too many accounts/too many inquires - others don't
  • The website is a TRAIN WRECK
YMMV on the issues here but figured I'd put it out there - here is DoC's full writeup:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-business-aviator-bonus-now-75000-miles/
P2 just applied for this offer and got an instant approval. Now we get to experience the lovely Bar-Cray website! Good thing the $1,000 MSR will be easy to meet so we can get through the crazy quickly!

Are you using Plastiq? I've been using that for my car loan to hit CIP MSR.
Yes but I only owe $2k on the car which will be paid off in November and we don't plan to get another car payment. I'm using Plastiq to pay my mortgage to finish MSRs on my Citi Biz cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter