I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it still wouldn't hold a candle to the amount of spend you've been doing. I have to say though that since picking up the SPG Biz last year I've doubled my amount of AmEx spend. Not saying it was great amounts, but on a individual level I thought that's what they were going for, increased use? It's not like I kept the same amount of spend and just split it between the two cards. Actually if you count the SPG Biz MSR they got way more than that, but most of that was one off purchases, so I assume ongoing spend is weighted more heavily than sign up spend. And in that case they got a win... I think they're just greedy :) My expenses are low so my spend is low.

This is what burns me.

Before all this pop up nonsense, I think my spend was less than $1k to at most $2k per month across my Amex cards outside of MSR. Most of our spend was with Chase because their cards had much better bonus categories. With the death of Plastiq 3x and some improvements in category bonuses by Amex (aside from Amex basically coercing us to spend or be denied SUBs), I've been able to shift a lot of our spend over without feeling too much loss opportunity cost. In recent months, I'm regularly over (sometimes a lot over) $5k across my Amex cards. Bay Area cost of living is high, so spend is high and I've made a conscious effort to steer that towards Amex. So I don't know on what basis Amex would deny my BGR SUB other than number of cards I've opened (8 in the past 15 months, and only 1 closure that wasn't an issue for the 7 cards they approved me for afterward), self-referral, or a delay or glitch. Either of the first two grounds would piss me off because Amex has their phone reps literally pitching more cards to you when you want to apply for just one and telling you they would love for you to open more cards with Amex; and second, self-referrals are rampant so if they have an issue with my self-referral to the BGR, it's either by chance or because I "called the bank" to confirm the welcome offer was attached (to which a chat rep confirmed it was).

If I was paying a first year AF on the BGR, I would be boiling mad. But I'm not, so if I don't get the SUB then I'll still have gotten a 15k MR referral bonus, MRs on $5k spend (which could've gone toward another MSR that would've paid out), and the ability to make 2x 20k MR and another 15k MR referrals, which I'll be sure to do before I close this waste of plastic come November.

I've seen a DP involving a no-pop-up-denial, after which the churner got approved for several more Amex cards without the pop up and got the SUBs on the subsequent cards. So if I don't get the SUB on the BGR, I'll try not to look at it as a death knell with Amex. I'll be under 5/24 again next month, so my plans with Chase means I can't get another personal card with Amex or any other issuer for the next several months. So no churning Platinum flavors for me. And with the uncertainty of whether an Amex SUB will post or not, even if you don't get a pop up, I'm avoiding big SUBs (once per lifetime, you know?) with big (or really, any) AFs for the foreseeable future. That leaves a self-referral to the BBP sometime this year, which should make a good test case to see whether I've been permanently shunned by Amex.

Ok, since I'm just hanging in the room with the sick kids today and browsing the boards I have another question for you all. I'm already considering a "2019 Disney do over". DH is not onboard.....yet. We have 10 day non hopper tickets now. If we were to come for 4-5 days this fall would you all update to annual passes now? I mean, we are working towards MSR on CIP anyways....
If you are coming back within the next year before the first day that you redeemed your current ticket then yes I would go ahead and upgrade. It will give you the photo pass for the entire year, AP discounts, park hopping now so you don't have a base ticket.

Has anyone checked out the Mod's Choice- Create a Card thread on Reddit today? Some really funny answers on there. I like:

Marriott Bonvoy Bonanza
  • 18x points at Marriott/SPG properties in the Midwest
  • 14x at all other properties
  • 12x on steak and taters at select home town restaurants
  • 8x on diesel fuel
  • 6x on cee-gars and Marlboro non-menthol cigarettes
  • 4x on Bud Light
  • 2x on everything else

This is what burns me.

Before all this pop up nonsense, I think my spend was less than $1k to at most $2k per month across my Amex cards outside of MSR. Most of our spend was with Chase because their cards had much better bonus categories. With the death of Plastiq 3x and some improvements in category bonuses by Amex (aside from Amex basically coercing us to spend or be denied SUBs), I've been able to shift a lot of our spend over without feeling too much loss opportunity cost. In recent months, I'm regularly over (sometimes a lot over) $5k across my Amex cards. Bay Area cost of living is high, so spend is high and I've made a conscious effort to steer that towards Amex. So I don't know on what basis Amex would deny my BGR SUB other than number of cards I've opened (8 in the past 15 months, and only 1 closure that wasn't an issue for the 7 cards they approved me for afterward), self-referral, or a delay or glitch. Either of the first two grounds would piss me off because Amex has their phone reps literally pitching more cards to you when you want to apply for just one and telling you they would love for you to open more cards with Amex; and second, self-referrals are rampant so if they have an issue with my self-referral to the BGR, it's either by chance or because I "called the bank" to confirm the welcome offer was attached (to which a chat rep confirmed it was).

If I was paying a first year AF on the BGR, I would be boiling mad. But I'm not, so if I don't get the SUB then I'll still have gotten a 15k MR referral bonus, MRs on $5k spend (which could've gone toward another MSR that would've paid out), and the ability to make 2x 20k MR and another 15k MR referrals, which I'll be sure to do before I close this waste of plastic come November.

I've seen a DP involving a no-pop-up-denial, after which the churner got approved for several more Amex cards without the pop up and got the SUBs on the subsequent cards. So if I don't get the SUB on the BGR, I'll try not to look at it as a death knell with Amex. I'll be under 5/24 again next month, so my plans with Chase means I can't get another personal card with Amex or any other issuer for the next several months. So no churning Platinum flavors for me. And with the uncertainty of whether an Amex SUB will post or not, even if you don't get a pop up, I'm avoiding big SUBs (once per lifetime, you know?) with big (or really, any) AFs for the foreseeable future. That leaves a self-referral to the BBP sometime this year, which should make a good test case to see whether I've been permanently shunned by Amex.

Maybe it's futile, but trying to find a pattern. Did you put spend on all 7 of the newer open cards? I have a theory that they look at statement periods (based on nothing, lol). Any statements with zero or very low amounts?

Well, just filled out the application for SPG Personal and immediately got the pop up that I was not eligible for the SPG Personal card welcome bonus. Only cards I've had are SPG Biz and Marriott Biz, so I should be fine. I don't know what I've done to anger the Amex gods with my two whole cards, but whatever it is, they're ticked at me.

Hyatt moving some up to Cat 5 and some down to Cat 4, most notable to me is the Centric SF Wharf and Seattle Grand Hyatt moving up to 5. Centric is where I stayed last Sept and it was a great location and redemption, the property here because that was my backup for a staycation to use my free night cert. A couple in Chicago moving down to 4 and the Centric Waikiki moving down to 4 as well. Could be good options now.

Per MMS because it's slightly better than TPG and DoC hasn't posted yet.

Well I went in the ditch for the first time in my history of driving. I was on my way in between schools for subbing and there was a patch of snow on the highway. I started swerving one way so I pulled back and turned completely around into the ditch. My car almost tipped on its side but luckily landed flat. My neck, back, and wrist hurt a little but I’m very lucky to be as safe as I am. Dh came to get me and dropped me off at the school so I could still sub. AAA is supposed to drop my car off here if they can get to it in time. We are supposed to get 3-5 more inches of snow and have 20-30 mph winds tomorrow. I’m so over this stupid winter

Maybe it's futile, but trying to find a pattern. Did you put spend on all 7 of the newer open cards? I have a theory that they look at statement periods (based on nothing, lol). Any statements with zero or very low amounts?

Yes, I've been obsessive about putting spend on all my Amex cards.

I don't like it.

And if Amex is gonna do me like this, we're not gonna be friends much longer.

Well I went in the ditch for the first time in my history of driving. I was on my way in between schools for subbing and there was a patch of snow on the highway. I started swerving one way so I pulled back and turned completely around into the ditch. My car almost tipped on its side but luckily landed flat. My neck, back, and wrist hurt a little but I’m very lucky to be as safe as I am. Dh came to get me and dropped me off at the school so I could still sub. AAA is supposed to drop my car off here if they can get to it in time. We are supposed to get 3-5 more inches of snow and have 20-30 mph winds tomorrow. I’m so over this stupid winter

How scary! Glad you're okay.

Has anyone checked out the Mod's Choice- Create a Card thread on Reddit today? Some really funny answers on there. I like:

Marriott Bonvoy Bonanza
  • 18x points at Marriott/SPG properties in the Midwest
  • 14x at all other properties
  • 12x on steak and taters at select home town restaurants
  • 8x on diesel fuel
  • 6x on cee-gars and Marlboro non-menthol cigarettes
  • 4x on Bud Light
  • 2x on everything else
Yes, I totally forgot I was going to mention it here. I got distracted by the goodish news on the SPG card front. :) I think it's actually a fun mix of viable products and hilarity that we wish were products - like that one.

I love that card! And I can't let hubby see it to get any ideas... especially if they took up the one suggestion to let the Bud Light category be rotational or "pick your brand" like the airline credits. He's not much of a beer drinker anymore but I think it'd be a challenge he'd accept anyway.

Oh dear, terrifying!!! Glad you are most ok!! Yeah, more tomorrow, and again Thurs/Friday?!?!? I can't take anymore! My dogs have never seen this much snow, it's already up to the 30 pounders chest, tomorrow she may be in trouble. The bigger doodle loves it and wants to live in the yard, but if we really get another 6-10 by the end of the week, I am not sure even he will be able to get through the yard.

Yes, I've been obsessive about putting spend on all my Amex cards.

I don't like it.

tenor.gif

AMEX wants all your love...or they won't love you in return... Sorry you're dealing with all of this, I want to say I understand, but you've treated them far better than I have and are still in essentially the same boat as me...

Yikes! Glad you're ok!

Yeah I'm officially breaking up with Amex. I'll hit them hard for DH starting after he gets a CIU.

Sorry this happened but happy that you are safe and not hurt too badly. I'm over this weather as well and just want it to be warm out.

Well, just filled out the application for SPG Personal and immediately got the pop up that I was not eligible for the SPG Personal card welcome bonus. Only cards I've had are SPG Biz and Marriott Biz, so I should be fine. I don't know what I've done to anger the Amex gods with my two whole cards, but whatever it is, they're ticked at me.

Poo :( Has the SPG Biz been open for over a year? That's my pet theory right now. I feel somewhat confirmed based on some AmEx reps citing having the SPG Biz is stopping the bonus on the personal (which isn't a rule, but I wouldn't put it past them adding it to this pop up) and they've only had that open for less than a year.

AmEx is definitely firmly back into the "hate" side of this love/hate relationship. If they didn't have the Hilton cards too I'd probably go back to not caring about them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter