I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently today or tomorrow is the last day to apply for a Marriott business card. An r/churning user shared this working link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/marriottbusiness/aep?CELL=67K4&SPID=FT4W

I honestly haven’t been following this at all because (as already discussed today) I have an embarrassment of riches in Marriott points and I’m not really looking to further add to that “problem”. So I’m sharing this link somewhat out of ignorance LOL! Proceed with caution...I’m not an expert on this situation lol!

Quick trip update. 3 of 5 kids are down with what appears to be the flu. I'm certainly grateful we sprung for the two bedroom, with all this sickness it's extra helpful to have the space. We are pretty disappointed though. It's our first trip to WDW in 3 years and we are supposed to celebrate our oldest's 13 th birthday in two days. Hoping no one else goes down and these three improve. On a closer to churning note we are dangerously close to purchasing DVC. I've researched a ton but would love to hear more first hand experiences.

I would encourage you to check out the DVC section here on DIS if you haven't yet. Probably 90% of my research was done there, and I felt like I was as informed as I could possibly be without physically using the system first. Hate to hear you're dealing with sickness but on the upside, you can use the time to research even more!

If you don't have a guide yet, I'd be happy to recommend you one. We really loved ours. We did the tour and were completely unsure. She went for the sale as we expected, but it was completely pressure-free. She checked in on us after, and when we were ready to buy, she made it easy.

I'm sure you've also read about direct vs. resale. If you love Copper Creek, you'll need to own there because it books quickly at 11 months.

I use discover for that...is ally a better choice?

I'm interested too- I like my Discover accounts, and find the interest rate pretty good. I have CDs at Ally, but have no plans to open a savings account there (unless they come out with a good bonus, then I might!)

Question about Frontier? We have a trip booked to Vegas using SW points for our flights. When DH booked it he chose the earliest flight out of STL which is 6-ish am. As we get closer to the date, I REALLY don't want to get up to fly out that early, so started looking at other options. The SW flight leaving the evening before is a lot higher, but I found a Frontier flight that would work time wise for only about $100. I know we have to pay for either a checked or carry-on bag and also for seat assignments. If we book it, I was thinking of not paying extra for seat assignments. Not that I don't like DH, but I really don't care too much if we aren't next to each other for the 3 hour flight. But, having never flown Frontier, I didn't know if there are other things I should be aware of.

Secondly, since DH booked the flights on SW, he booked them as round trip tickets. How hard would it be to cancel just the first leg of the flight? We are wanting to keep the same return flight that we currently have booked.

Thanks for any info!
I don’t think there’s a lot to know about frontier but go in with the mindset that it’s definitely a budget airline. No snacks, WiFi, or entertainment on the plane. We don’t mind because of how cheap they are but that might bother some people

Quick trip update. 3 of 5 kids are down with what appears to be the flu. I'm certainly grateful we sprung for the two bedroom, with all this sickness it's extra helpful to have the space. We are pretty disappointed though. It's our first trip to WDW in 3 years and we are supposed to celebrate our oldest's 13 th birthday in two days. Hoping no one else goes down and these three improve. On a closer to churning note we are dangerously close to purchasing DVC. I've researched a ton but would love to hear more first hand experiences.
OH no I hope they feel better soon and no one else gets sick. if you don't have a car theres a pharmacy that delivers to wdw resorts. theres a $15 charge but our insurance reimbursed us the full amount of the pharmacy claim plus the delivery charge.

as for DVC I love it and don't regret it. We did resale and it def saved us (well according to DH its cost us since we have gone more than we originally planned) If you like the DVC def look in to resale. I honestly don't see the value in direct unless you need a specific number of points and can't find them on resale. Buy where you want to stay or wouldn't mind staying. We went back and forth between SSR and BLT. Ended up trying SSR but disney bought it back. So then decided BLT and glad we did. We had never seen any of the DVC rooms or done a tour before purchasing. After staying at both we are glad BLT is our home. We tried SSR once and its not for us. Feel free to ask questions there are quite a few of us on this thread who are DVC members.

I think it’s a solid plan.... your applications are spaced out...just check your CLs and reduce if necessary prior to applying......are you going to keep or cancel your current CIP before applying ? You could also get an EIN for the second CIP
We are also staying under 5/24 since I want another CP for 2020/2021
I'll go update my post. I don't have my CIP I closed it after the annual fee hit.
do you think this will affect me getting one again with the initial method? I'm only applying for it for the bonus. once I get mine I'll close DHs

Yuck, I am so sorry everyone is sick!!! Crossing my fingers for you that they get better quickly!!
Are there specific questions you have about DVC? I love mine and wouldn't sell it for anything! I agree the forums here have a lot of info. But I would steer clear of any Facebook DVC groups, there are some really cranky people on those.

I hope everyone starts feeling better soon!

We bought DVC direct in 2011 and then added on points via resale a couple of years ago. For us it was a great decision - our only regret is not having more points!

Having fomo-

Should I apply for the SPG Personal today before I goes away? I’m 2/24 with a second plus in 11/18, sw biz 11/19 and arrival plus 1/19.

I have tj SPG Biz from last march, so I’m blocked out of the Marriott cards currently.

I have 140,000 Marriott points and no real plan for them, but I’m sure I can come up with something...

Question about Frontier? We have a trip booked to Vegas using SW points for our flights. When DH booked it he chose the earliest flight out of STL which is 6-ish am. As we get closer to the date, I REALLY don't want to get up to fly out that early, so started looking at other options. The SW flight leaving the evening before is a lot higher, but I found a Frontier flight that would work time wise for only about $100. I know we have to pay for either a checked or carry-on bag and also for seat assignments. If we book it, I was thinking of not paying extra for seat assignments. Not that I don't like DH, but I really don't care too much if we aren't next to each other for the 3 hour flight. But, having never flown Frontier, I didn't know if there are other things I should be aware of.

Secondly, since DH booked the flights on SW, he booked them as round trip tickets. How hard would it be to cancel just the first leg of the flight? We are wanting to keep the same return flight that we currently have booked.

Thanks for any info!
Other than what you mentioned as far as bag fees and seat assignments, nothing else to worry about with Frontier. My brief experience has been positive.

I hope everyone feels better soon! How old are your kids?
We bought back in 2002, ours were 3, 6 and 8. As a family that didn't fit easily into hotel rooms, DVC has been awesome for us. Our young adult kids still enjoy vacationing with us, that can't be said for a lot of families. At this time of our lives, we don't use all of our points (I rent them out to offset dues). I would imagine as the kids get married and have kids we'll be back to using them all again!
Buy where you'd want to stay. With the growth of DVC, home resort advantage is huge!

OH no I hope they feel better soon and no one else gets sick. if you don't have a car theres a pharmacy that delivers to wdw resorts. theres a $15 charge but our insurance reimbursed us the full amount of the pharmacy claim plus the delivery charge.

as for DVC I love it and don't regret it. We did resale and it def saved us (well according to DH its cost us since we have gone more than we originally planned) If you like the DVC def look in to resale. I honestly don't see the value in direct unless you need a specific number of points and can't find them on resale. Buy where you want to stay or wouldn't mind staying. We went back and forth between SSR and BLT. Ended up trying SSR but disney bought it back. So then decided BLT and glad we did. We had never seen any of the DVC rooms or done a tour before purchasing. After staying at both we are glad BLT is our home. We tried SSR once and its not for us. Feel free to ask questions there are quite a few of us on this thread who are DVC members.

I'll go update my post. I don't have my CIP I closed it after the annual fee hit.
do you think this will affect me getting one again with the initial method? I'm only applying for it for the bonus. once I get mine I'll close DHs

I don’t think it will affect you with Chase at all....and we are going to do the same with the CIP...keep one between DH and I...no need to pay for two annual fees

Many of you have mentioned using Ally Bank, so I have a few questions after looking at their website.
I'd like to use as a place to park my 3-6 mos Dave Ramsey emergency fund. Is Ally Savings a good place for this? How fast can I get the $?
Can I use Ally Checking with Venmo to MS using CIP?
Is transferring $ to and from Ally and other bank accounts free?
Thank you

I use discover for that...is ally a better choice?

I use both Discover and Ally, and like them both but for different reasons. Overall I think the rates at Ally tend to be a smidgeon higher than Discover, so if you have big balances then Ally is probably a little better. You can link many accounts to your Ally account (20?) and the speed of ACH in/out is somewhat faster than Discover, as well as the transaction limits being higher. It's free to transfer funds in/out for both, and ALL savings accounts everywhere are limited to 6 withdrawals in a calendar month...though you are welcome to have more than one savings account at either bank. ;) Transferring funds from Discover savings to Discover checking is instant, and I like Discover checking for the 1% on the debit card. I have a post about using it on Dischurners under MS.

I'm interested too- I like my Discover accounts, and find the interest rate pretty good. I have CDs at Ally, but have no plans to open a savings account there (unless they come out with a good bonus, then I might!)

Ally ran a 10% bonus last quarter on new funds deposited there (capped at $1000 bonus), the new funds only needed to be in place for 2-3 months. DoC is the site to watch.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but Topcashback has 12% back at Dell for the next 6 days, and Ebates has 10% back for at least today. They seem to do this every year for Presidents Day, in case you are wondering when to use those Dell cashback credits on your AmEx Business Platinum.

**Edit: It's Mr. Rebates that has 10% back, not ebates. Sorry about that.**

Last edited:
speaking of those..... I remember seeing here where you and maybe some others found great deals...and I'm starting to think I want one of these (I cook ALL the time) in a pretty color..... any ideas where to get a deal of any sort right now?
I like to watch the Hip2Save site for deals. They always post Kitchenaid deals. I love ours. We use it multiple times a week for either baking, mixing, shredding meat, or either the food processor attachment or roto shredder (old version) for cutting/shredding/dicing veggies/potatoes/cheese.
Apparently today or tomorrow is the last day to apply for a Marriott business card. An r/churning user shared this working link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/marriottbusiness/aep?CELL=67K4&SPID=FT4W

I honestly haven’t been following this at all because (as already discussed today) I have an embarrassment of riches in Marriott points and I’m not really looking to further add to that “problem”. So I’m sharing this link somewhat out of ignorance LOL! Proceed with caution...I’m not an expert on this situation lol!
Boooooooo.

I'm mostly upset because they gave us like 3 days notice, otherwise I might have cancelled our personal SPGs and gone for the biz to boost our Marriott balance more. :P

I love WDW in January and February but it seems like sickness is always just around the corner. I am sorry!

I would echo everyone who has posted especially @striker1064 in the assertion to take your time. Do not worry about it right now other to the extent if you want to go to the other resorts while you are down there. Do your research...if you want to buy direct CCV might not be the best choice. Resale is a great option and if you want the direct you can always buy another resort you might just need to wait a bit. I ended up getting a resale BLT and direct OKW. BLT, OKW, and AKV have the best options for bigger families.

That is quite a list! I always love to see your vacation plans. And super jealous of everyone that can plan in advance. I just cant seem to pull the trigger more than 2 months in advance. And I do not work, so it is not like work is holding me back! And DH has plenty of vacation time, so his really isn't either. We have commitment issues. lol

I am in the same boat. I do not have commitment issues lol but I have 4 kids. It's so hard to plan with all the commitments those kids have!

I have commitment issues AND 4 kids. :sad2:

Many of you have mentioned using Ally Bank, so I have a few questions after looking at their website.
I'd like to use as a place to park my 3-6 mos Dave Ramsey emergency fund. Is Ally Savings a good place for this? How fast can I get the $?
Can I use Ally Checking with Venmo to MS using CIP?
Is transferring $ to and from Ally and other bank accounts free?
Thank you
I switched all our main accounts over to Wells Fargo. It has been great. Yes, you can park your savings there at 2.2% currently and it is easy to access. You will get a debit card and they refund your debit machine fees. Transfers are free. I don't know about the MS/venmo/CIP question.

oh no! I know the feeling. uugghhh. hope everyone recovers quickly and you can salvage a few days of the trip.

Yuck, I am so sorry everyone is sick!!! Crossing my fingers for you that they get better quickly!!
Are there specific questions you have about DVC? I love mine and wouldn't sell it for anything! I agree the forums here have a lot of info. But I would steer clear of any Facebook DVC groups, there are some really cranky people on those.
I definitely see the value for my large family in DVC. We typically only come every 2 to 3 years though. DH likes Copper Creek and we were planning on staying at Wilderness Lodge renting points on our next trip. Buying direct is more money obviously but is it worth it to have access to the new resorts being built? Or would we be just as happy buying somewhere else and not worrying about the new resorts. That is probably my biggest question at this point. We rented at AKL this trip and while it's beautiful and a unique experience, it is too far from the action for us. The bus service has been horrible and it's made our days feel very disjointed when we want to head back for a rest. So staying closer to Epcot/Magic Kingdom is definitely appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts