I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for all of you churning experts here. I applied for and got a SW visa last month with the 60,000 bonus points. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from Chase about opening both a checking and savings account with them to get an additional 50,000 points to meet the requirements for the companion pass. I have the money required to meet the terms for the savings, however, for the checking, they require a direct deposit from a paycheck, pension, or social security. I do not work, have a pension, or ss. My question is this- could I have DH set up a dd through his work to go into my account and still get the points? The companion pass would REALLY help with my Hawaii budget for next year but I don’t want to go through all the hassle of doing this to not get the points/pass due to a technicality (not my paycheck). I know that I could apply for a biz card, however, I don’t have a side hustle to really justify doing that. Thanks for any advice on this!

I have a question for all of you churning experts here. I applied for and got a SW visa last month with the 60,000 bonus points. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from Chase about opening both a checking and savings account with them to get an additional 50,000 points to meet the requirements for the companion pass. I have the money required to meet the terms for the savings, however, for the checking, they require a direct deposit from a paycheck, pension, or social security. I do not work, have a pension, or ss. My question is this- could I have DH set up a dd through his work to go into my account and still get the points? The companion pass would REALLY help with my Hawaii budget for next year but I don’t want to go through all the hassle of doing this to not get the points/pass due to a technicality (not my paycheck). I know that I could apply for a biz card, however, I don’t have a side hustle to really justify doing that. Thanks for any advice on this!
I did this, only I sent my DD (because I can change mine super easy) to an account in DHs name. That's great, 50k SW points! I would have done that over the $600 cash I got for DHs accounts lol. I also have done the same for a BoA account. Others may have some ideas of other things that would count as a DD... I just haven't paid them much mind since I can switch mine easily.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/canadian-credit-history-will-not-transfer-to-u-s/
But as for why I replied -- I do believe Amex and Chase tracks bonus eligibility by Marriott Bonvoy account number based on this DP. If you don’t put in your Marriott account information, you should be able to get around the restrictions on Chase and Amex cards.

The fine print on the Marriott Bonvoy Amex Canada application does say, “This offer is only available to new Marriott Bonvoy American Express Cardmembers (Cardmembers’). For current or former Marriott Bonvoy American Express Cardmembers or Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus.” I don’t know if these cards refer only to the Canada versions, or if they will count the US-issued cards against you. Please let us know how it goes!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the information. I'm not taking any chances. I called AmEx and they said when the card comes in 5 - 12 business days, call CS and they will assign me a new bonbon number.

In other news I'm picking up my TD Visa Aeroplan card at the branch by my house this afternoon! I had to pay $25.00 to expedite it, but it's worth it as I have to get that hydro bill paid asap!

Oh and online dating sucks, that is all:badpc:
The 24yo in my life has been sharing tales of online dating with me over the past year :scared1: She recently had good luck with Hinge and has had several dates with the same guy.
https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/homemade-soft-pretzel-bites/I got on a bread kick and made the easy bread in a dutch oven, french bread, focaccia bread, and tried making my own sourdough starter. The only thing that failed me was trying to start sourdough starter. Looked for anything with yeast and I love soft pretzels.
I've been trying sourdough this summer. I used the starter instructions from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion book, but the bread baking instructions were just too complicated for my life.

After auditioning several library books, I settled on this one
https://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Sour...&s=gateway&sprefix=artisan+sou,aps,120&sr=8-1

There are so many photographs that show exactly how to do everything! Each recipe has its own photograph (my pet peeve w cookbooks--not enough pictures). I've made 4 recipes so far (one of them I've done 5 times because it's so simple) and will try bagels this weekend.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:
I think that should work fine. For my Chase DD, I just did a push from my CU checking to Chase checking and it worked fine also.

Why is my link not showing up in a little box w a picture like everyone else?? I clicked the "insert link" thingy and pasted in the URL. What am I doing wrong?

I had thought it was only certain sites that would do that so I'm not sure what the difference is. I don't think mine do either. I know twitter will embed so it shows the post.

DoC linked a post by Running With Miles in his recap this morning, which goes into how credit card affiliate relationships like the kind on most major points and miles blogs (*ahem* TPG and MMS) require or create incentives for bloggers to withhold critical information from the readers that could help them decide which card is best for them.
https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/behind-blogging-the-dark-side-of-affiliate-relationships/
Affiliates are very clear that there are many taboo things for bloggers in regards to these relationships. For example, with credit card affiliates, a blogger cannot tell readers which cards pay what amount to the blogger. Don’t you think you would like to know if a particular card is paying a blogger $250 for a conversion when they recommend it so wholeheartedly?

For the reader, this kind of information could be valuable when determining which card may be best for them. For example, there is one large site that recently was pushing the Delta American Express cards at the lowly amount of 40,000 miles. There was zero mention of the fact that you can only get one card bonus per card per lifetime – or that those cards just recently had bonuses that were much higher than that amount.

Most of the reason for that is that their affiliate agreement prevents such talk so they go along with that and it leaves the blog’s readers in the dark as to what they may be missing out on. Since that blog (or, rather, credit card company outlet) caters to newbies, those readers never know about those better offers.

I'm wondering what RWM is talking about? 🤔
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/40k-delta-reserve/https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-amex-current-offers/
Yep, zero mention of the fact that you can only get one card bonus per card per lifetime.

And zero mention of the fact that those cards just recently had bonuses that were much higher than that amount (and are likely to go back up again).

See:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/increased-american-express-delta-offers-now-available/https://www.doctorofcredit.com/increased-american-express-business-delta-offers-now-available/
RWM goes on:
Back when I was a direct credit card affiliate, I would receive e-mails telling me that there were increased payout offers on a particular card – but there was no higher bonus than normal for the reader. This would encourage blogs to start pushing this particular credit card even though nothing had changed about that card in the past 4 months.

Some credit card companies refuse to allow a blogger to talk about a credit card offer that does not go through the affiliate channel – even if it is possible to just get the better offer directly at the credit card issuer’s own website. ...
[T]he other reason is that the better offer is available because the issuer does not have to pay the affiliate payout.

This means that the affiliate amount can be translated to more points for the reader and affiliate companies do not like to confuse those offers on a blogger’s website.

PLEASE DON'T RELY ON BLOGGERS TO TELL YOU WHICH CREDIT CARD YOU SHOULD GET. AND LET'S NOT ENCOURAGE THEM BY CLICKING ON THEIR CREDIT CARD AFFILIATE LINKS.

Here at the DIS and DISchurners, we'll always try to give you the our best advice and all the information you need to make the best decision about what card is right for you.

Last edited:
My Amex BGR is coming up on a year, I don't want to pay the fee, what other MR card should I get to keep my MRs? I've had the Gold.

Sounds like the confusion is now cleared up but basically gift cards are fine for statement credits. But if you are flying or booking a flight even food on flight or the taxes for miles flights work. (My $11 fee on an award flight triggered the statement credit).

What is NOT working is buying gift cards for the annual flight/travel credit on MR cards. Unless this changes (and I am not optimistic it will) for me and Delta it has me already reevaluating the value of the cards. If I have to go through 10 hoops to try to use a credit the value of paying hundreds of dollars in fees is realistically not there. I can justify only up to a point...especially since a lot of the things that “count” for the credit are things like baggage fees which I have already with the Delta Amex cards.

The gift cards aren't working on the Hilton Honors Aspire card anymore either are they? I don't have a need for a gift card right now or I'd try it myself. :(

My Amex BGR is coming up on a year, I don't want to pay the fee, what other MR card should I get to keep my MRs? I've had the Gold.
I got the BBP to hold my MRs in case I ever decide to go fee free. It is a credit and not charge card so it does use one of the 5 credit card slots you are limited to with AmEx. But since it is a Biz card, it does not add to the Chase 5/24 rule.

I had thought it was only certain sites that would do that so I'm not sure what the difference is. I don't think mine do either. I know twitter will embed so it shows the post.
You'd think amazon would work lol
Are you putting (link) around your link
hmmmmmm I thought the little "insert link" thingy up above in the reply box would do it automatically :confused3

Amex makes it official:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-adds-terms-to-ban-gift-cards-from-earning-points/Purchases of gift cards don't count towards MSR, or even earning points (at least on the BBP).

ETA: I will say that actual enforcement of these terms will still be spotty because the RATs can only police gift card purchases if they have the information you purchased a gift card. Some transactions will be dead giveaways, such as Simon, Gift Card Mall, and GiftCards .com, maybe even things like PPDG, Raise, or Gyft, and office supply stores that provide L3 data. However, the vast majority of merchants do not supply L3 data.

Last edited:
I did this, only I sent my DD (because I can change mine super easy) to an account in DHs name. That's great, 50k SW points! I would have done that over the $600 cash I got for DHs accounts lol. I also have done the same for a BoA account. Others may have some ideas of other things that would count as a DD... I just haven't paid them much mind since I can switch mine easily.

Thanks! It’s not hard for DH to set the DD up, so that’s not the problem. The wording in the fine print threw me off a bit. Yes, it’s a great deal! With the trips we have planned, the cp will save us MUCH more than the $500 offer that I had been thinking of doing! So glad I didn’t!

I think that should work fine. For my Chase DD, I just did a push from my CU checking to Chase checking and it worked fine also.

So did you just transfer the funds or did you have to set something up with your CU to do it? Does a transfer from another account count as a DD?

DoC linked a post by Running With Miles in his recap this morning, which goes into how credit card affiliate relationships like the kind on most major points and miles blogs (*ahem* TPG and MMS) require or create incentives for bloggers to withhold critical information from the readers that could help them decide which card is best for them.
https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/behind-blogging-the-dark-side-of-affiliate-relationships/I'm wondering what RWM is talking about? 🤔

they make bank off links... they give us like 20k bonus, but rumor is that they the bigger bloggers like TPG get close to $1000 per approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter