I just KNEW this would happen!!!!!

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
DD had her regular OB appointment today and she is dilated 2-3 cm. The head is not engaged but she is definitly dilated and on her way.

****DH and I have plane tix for a 1 night 26th anniversary fling at WDW in 3 days.****

OB Doc says that she really doesn't think she will go be fore next week........ but you never know.......!

Oh, man....I just know something would happen to worry me ......

{{HUGS}}
if it helps ease your mind any~i was dialated to 3 cm for 3 months before having DS.

I was 3 cm for 3 weeks with the head engaged with DD#1... You can always fly home, right?

I wouldn't worry about it. Two of my friends who had babies in the last few months were dialated that far for 10 days and 2 1/2 weeks. Go enjoy your trip and get that last bit of relaxation in when you can!!!

Is your dd worried about it. I don't remember when is she due? I would go you deserve a break.

I was at 2 1/2 cm at 36 weeks with my dd. I had her 2 days before my due date. How long are you gonna be gone for? Do you have someone that she can stay with that you can rely on while you're gone?

Thanks for the encouraging words!

DD is due on 8/29 and is not worried about it at all.

We are only gone for 39 hours, getting back home around midnight, 8/7. Yes, we can always fly home early, free "standy-by" on the 7th.

My parents and her primary birthing coach are all keeping her well covered in our absence,

Keep those hugs & positive words coming........!

I think you should go ahead and take your trip. You and your dh need the break and it's only 39 hours. I say you should go :)

I think you should consider staying home, if she were to go into labor while you're gone it could cause undo stress on her and the baby.

Oh, I hope you do go and try not to worry! Your life will change dramatically once your granchild is born, I think you and your husband very much deserve this break. It sounds as though your daughter is well taken care of should she go into labor, so go and enjoy yourself!

BTW, statistically, first babies usually come later rather than sooner. Hoping that is the case for your daughter and her baby, so you will be there for the big event.

Claudia, you poor thing! I sure don't know what to tell you, but here's a great big {{{HUG}}}!! :)

I think you should, if YOU want to, since she has other support at home and you will be gone such a short time, and the doctor doesn't think it will happen so soon.

...my SIL was in labor 43 hours with her first! and another SIL got sent home from the hospital twice over the course of a week with "false labor" before her first.......

but best of luck to you and to her whatever you decide :)

Unless you have that c-section planned, you never know when those babies will decide to come! Why did you plan a trip so close to the birthdate?

A kid at heart:
This was planned just 3 days ago, when our DD looked like she was going to go on or past her due date. DH and I were going to just go out of town for a dinner and a show, then I found great airfare to WDW. With DVC points & APs, it is really not a great expense over what we would have done. It is not as much a trip as an overnight get-away. I appreciate your sentiment, though!

Update: DD's OB is telling us that we have plenty of time; shouldn't come before the end of the week, at the very earliest.

No "nesting" instinct yet. I hope it comes soon because my closets need cleaned out...... LOL!

Claudia - I hope you continue to plan on going. You really need this little break. She is going to be well-cared-for in your absence. My goodness - you aren't going to be gone long - and she has a labor coach. (have I convinced you yet?!)

I don't think I would ever take the remote chance of missing the miracle of my grandchild's birth. And most certainly I would want to be there for my daughter. WDW is going to be there for a long, long time.

Best of luck to your daughter....I hope her delivery is a safe and surrounded by love experience.

I'd stay home, myself - We missed the birth of our first grand-son - he was born 5 weeks early & we were on our way home from WDW the day he was born - We were so sad to have not been there & felt awful that we couldn't have been there to help & support the parents. We basically came in the door, re-packed a bag & hubby jumped back in the car to get down there. This summer, they are expecting grandson #2 & we haven't gone anywhere! We have the dog-sitter on alert & we are ready to go the second they call (we have a 6 hour drive to get there) It's been hard not having a trip planned, but that's nothing compared to how hard it was missing the birth of our precious grandson & being able to support & sooth the fears of my step-son & his wife....
From your previous posts, sounds like your daughter could use alot of support & IMHO, flying off to WDW isn't really showing that kind of support -

I delivered my 1st child 2 days early and really fast. I was not dilated at all two hours before I delivered her.

Luckily there were no complications.

When is your daughter's due date?

You'll be gone the 7th and 8th?

DD's OB is telling us that we have plenty of time; shouldn't come before the end of the week, at the very earliest.

Unless there is going to be a planned C-Section, not a Doctor in the world can say that for sure.

The proverbial nesting ritual before one goes into labor is just that ~ a proverbial myth.

Do you have a support system (your Daughter staying with somebody, someone to transport her and someone to be with her and support her during labor etc) set up just in case?

What your daughter will be is anxious and scared before her delivery, especially with her handicaps. If my then husband took off on an unnecessary jaunt a few days before my due date he would have been mincemeat.

I hope everything goes well. It would be a shame if you stayed home from your fling and your daughter didn't have her baby.

I went to the dr. the day I was due for my regular exam. I was 19, scared and humongous. I was dilated 1/2 cm and he told me I wouldn't have the baby for two more weeks.

My water broke at 10:30 that night and my son was born the next morning at 7:20. When I called the Dr. to tell him my water broke and I thought you said I wasn't having this baby for two more weeks his response was:

"Shows you how much I know. See you in the ER."

I was living with my Mom and Dad at the time, and they were there for me every step of the way. If they had not been around when I went in to labor, I have no idea how I would have handled it. I could not imagine having a "birthing coach" beside me instead of my mom; it's not the same kind of support.

Babies show up when they want to.

I have kind of followed your situation and I've not commented on any of it before. I realize this whole thing has been very hard on you; but I am sure this is even harder on your daughter. Personally I think you need to stick around. There's no way I would take a chance of missing the birth of my grandchild. I can celebrate an anniversary anytime. Grandchildren are only born once.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be well thought out with the mental and physical health of your daughter and grandbaby in mind. Good luck.

As you can tell everyone has vastly different experiences, so it's very hard to predict. My first DS was 4 weeks early, I went from no symptoms to giving birth in about 3 hours. I guess it is how important being present for the birth is to you. If it is very crucial, I would think it would be hard to enjoy yourself worrying about your daughter. If you don't have a problem and she has other coverage in labor then go and enjoy yourself. Good luck in your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter