I just KNEW this would happen!!!!!

I would go and enjoy your 1 night trip! I may be in the minority here, but being there for the actual time of birth is not the important part....she will have the baby just fine without you (not intending to sound mean)....the REAL important thing is all the support you will be giving you daughter/granddaughter for the rest of their lives.

But really the odds are she won't have the baby until closer to 8/29. Only you can decide what to do.

I disagree disneyelaine. Speaking from experience ,as a scared, pregnant teenager, it was VERY important that my mother was there at the time of birth for me. I couldn't imagine having gone through childbirth without her beside me. Even when she wasn't in the room, just knowing she was outside in the hall and if I needed her I could call for her was comforting. She was not happy when I got pregnant, but she and Daddy both stood by me all the way, from emotional and financial support during pregnancy and including driving me to the hospital and staying with me the whole time when it was time for my son to be born.

It could have torn our family apart, but my Mom refused to let it. Instead because of her loving support, we became much much closer.

That's my experience.

Labor is a very scary thing. I was 24 when I had my first baby and if my husband hadn't been there to support me during it I don't think I would have handled it very well. I can only imagine what it would be like for a very young teenager. Giving birth for the first time is probably the scariest thing that can happen to a woman, she needs her biggest support person with her, in my opinion.

<font color=navy>Claudia,

I'd say to weigh the pros & cons, talk it over w/your dh & dd, and then make your final decision. Everyone in your family and the OB seem to be pretty comfortable with you going, and I would think that would be a major factor in your decision.

Good luck in what you decide to do, and if you go to WDW, have a fantastic time. :)

I agree with Mary Jo, talk it over with your daughter and both of you can decide together if you both think it would be okay. My Mother was 1500 miles away when I gave birth to both of her grandchildren, but when she arrived one week after their births, I couldn't have been more happier to have her there to take care of them!! :)

Good Luck to you both!

This is a personal decision, but you are not less of a mother or grandmother to be, because you want 39 hours to yourself with your DH. I am sure your daughter understands that you have been supportive and will be supportive of her and this child, 39 hours is not going to change that. I would discuss this with your daughter and DH they are the people important here, not the opinion of people on an internet board.

You do what is best for you and your family. No matter what you decide, I wish you the and your family the best. Do not let anyone make you feel bad.

I would also like to remind everyone to not pass judgement on people and their decisions. You do not know what it is like to walk in someone else shoes.....

Since you are not actually delivering the baby.. your presence is not required at the birth :) Like you said you can fly back if it happens early and you will be there soon enough. You said your DD is fine with it and things are well covered...
The doctor says it probably won't happen and what's the worst case? You show up 6 hours later?
Go have some fun, there will be plenty of time for stressing with a new baby!

I agree. Go on your trip and enjoy yourself.
Your DD could walk around like that for weeks, I did, all 3 times!

This is a personal decision, but you are not less of a mother or grandmother to be, because you want 39 hours to yourself with your DH.

I couldn't agree more. Please do not let anyone else sway your decision or make you feel less of a mother for making it. Good luck to you, Claudia.

going back on topic........

Obviously this is an incredibly personal decision......

Would I risk being away from my teenaged daughter's birth for a 36 hour trip?

I wouldn't.

However, Claudia's not me.....I'm sure she sees how much of herself she's going to have to give after this child is born...we don't see that...maybe we should realize that once this child is born, so much of *her* life is going be devoted to that new bundle of joy and maybe this short trip to WDW is going to help her get through what promises to be a very trying time.

I agree that a 36-hour trip to recharge your batteries is not unrealistic. The baby will come when he/she is ready and everyone's experiences are different. With what you have gone through this past year and with what is to come, I think you should go. Knowing you, you have left a good support system behind for your DD, and if you are not taking care of yourself, you won't be in any shape to take care of anyone else.
Hugs, Claudia, and just do what you feel is best.
CC

Claudia, everyone has an opinion. I think babies show up when they are good and ready;) DW was dilated for several days if not more with our first. I know you could really use the break. Best of luck on your decision :)

Well maybe then incredibly personal decisions should not be posted on an internet BB.

The feeling is mutual snoops.

And I have walked in her shoes. I have a grandson of my own.

I don't recall Claudia asking for your opinion on her "very personal decision", nor do I recall her asking if you've walked in her shoes, Jipsy.

I think she was venting about her fears. As an active member of this community, she surely has every right to.

Best of luck, Claudia, and anytime you feel the need to come here and vent or just talk about what is going on in your life, I hope you will always feel comfortable doing so.

It was I who made that comment not Snoopy. Even if you have gone through something similar, it is not the same. No two people go through the same experiennce exactly the same.

I do not recall Claudia asking for anyone's opinion. She was just venting and stating her frustration. Something people are allowed to do here, without being made to feel badly.

My first baby was born on Christmas Eve. My mother came to see us in the hospital on December 26 when she was done with the planned family gathering at her house. I fully understood her absence and it never made a bit of difference in her being a wonderful grandmother to my daughter.

Of course I am sure you would love to be there for the birth of your grandchild. But to have one day to celebrate 26 years of marriage with your DH is very important too. Since it may work out that you are able to experience both, I would not hesitate to do the anniversary trip. My husband did not live long enough to celebrate 26 years of marriage with me and I appreciate the desire to spend one night celebrating such a long, successful marriage....

Grab the moment, and celebrate with your DH. A long lasting marriage between two people should be celebrated, and I know I would have wanted my mother to go on the trip, had we been in that position, too.

Good luck and God Bless you all! :)

Thanks, everybody , for your comments and concerns. Yes, this is a decision that it filled with conflict.

I am going to ask the OB for a quick appt today. Her Dr. has always told us that that she will do anything possible to help. I quick re-check today will tell us if she is progressing, is still the same, or has regressed.

She has absolutely no other symptoms and is not even uncomfortable. In fact, she has only had 2 or 3 days when she was exceedingly uncomfortable and those were over a week ago when the baby was in a strange position. She has made several comments about how this pregancy has been easy and "no problem". For an ADD, CAPD teen to say that, then you know it is truly not unbearable. Her Dr. has often remared about how easy this has been for her and how great she is doing. Even though I am not the one to be carrying the baby, I am with her 24/7 and her welfare is my top concern.

This 39-hour getaway is much, much more than just an anniversary trip. I haven't posted much about my/our personal struggles. For the last 2 years, we have put our marital life on hold for our children. Normally, that is not a healthy decision and is not recommended. In our case, it is a matter of life & death for our DD. DH travels a lot and I used to go with him. That is not possible now. DH will push back his retirement date (years away!) because we have a new child to support. We have made choices to strengthen our family and support both of our children in very conceivable way.

For over 4 months, we have tried to get 3 days, 2 nights away for "just us". Every time, something happened that keep us at home. Once the baby comes, we will not only be the primary custodial parents for a while (it will take DD quite some time to come to terms with a baby, her mental state, school, etc...) but we will also be on "high alert" for her probable depression that will follow. Our plate will be more than full. It will be boiling over.

As with all of our past decisions, our children's health and well-being will make the final choice for us. We have been in this situation many, many, many times. This is very common for parents of special needs children. You "learn" to push yourself away and put them first, because you are their life-line. Even if we do not go, I still have an incredible, intricate, and strong support system for our DD. We have a long, long chain of people that DD wants to be involved. Until the hard labor hits, she will prefer to keep it all light & friendly. I will stay in the background, supporting her.

She wants us to go. She has even given me a list of things to bring back for the baby!

The only reason we have not cancelled already is because we are desparately still tryng to find a few minutes to celebrate our marriage. A marriage that has lasted for 26 years and will continue for many more. A marriage that has seen despair, grief, and pain, completely out of our control. A marriage that needs just one evening out, to talk about nothing but the weather and which dessert looks best. .......and there's something about WDW that can put us at ease the minute we drive onto the property. The personal toll us both of us has been devastating and our psychiatric team is pushing us to recognize that we are not invincible and cannot handle everything, all the time. We are facing the most trying times yet, and that is frightening. We must face them together or we cannot help our growing family.

We will not make any decision that we could possibly regret. We have gone through too much, have come too far, and have such a long way to go to rock the boat now.

Thanks, dear friends, for your love and concern!

Go, Claudia.

Your support system is your DH. And he is yours. You'll have alot to shoulder in the coming years.

Start it off with a loving 39 hours.

Whatever you do, don't dare take a cell phone with you to WDW. Because then, we'll see a post from someone about rude people bringing cell phones with them and how it ruined their vacation to see someone talking on a cell phone in WDW, even though they have no idea why that person might have been on the cell phone. ;) ;)

Seriously though, I would go. If anything happened, you are only a phone call away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter