I just KNEW this would happen!!!!!

Gina said:

Go, Claudia.

Your support system is your DH. And he is yours. You'll have alot to shoulder in the coming years.

Start it off with a loving 39 hours.

I always seem to agree with Gina!! :) :)

Have a great trip Claudia. You need it, you deserve it. WDW is only a couple hours away by plane and you are just a phone call away.
Your daughter is in a good emotional state right now, take advantage of it.

Is there anything I can do to help?

<font color=navy>Excellent post, Claudia.

I wasn't aware of your situation, and now that I read your post, I understand a bit better. I think you've made your decision.

Have a wonderful time (they have some really really cute Pooh & friends outfits at Disney). :)

If after talking with the OB, the Dr gives the ok to go on the trip, then I say go.

I would hate to think your DD or Grandchild be the recipient of any sort of resentment because you and your husband were unable to go on an R&R trip. Especially considering your DD's mental disabilities and the fact you are going to be the primary care giver.
It's easy to sit here and say "Oh no, we would never have any resentment for this", but trust me - it happens whether you intend it or not. And believe me, as a child who's very existance was met with a lot of resentment- it's something that should be avoided at all costs. I'm not saying that you resent the baby or your daughter, I'm saying that it could happen.

Personally I don't see how a 39hr trip to WDW is in any way relaxing, but that's MHO. You do what you need to do and what's best for everyone involved

To understand that Claudia would not harbor resentment toward her DD or grandchild, you would have to know her. I do, and it is not an issue, or frankly anyone else's business if she does. She made a comment regarding her vacation, she didn't ask for a gang bang.

CC

Um... how did I gang bang her? I told her to go if she feels she needs the rest.

I don't know Claudia, but I'm quite sure I would not even begin to speculate on whether or not she would feel resentment toward her daughter or grandchild simply because she wants to take a trip to Walt Disney World.

I'm glad you decided to go, Claudia. Your post was a good one, and it appears it came truly from your heart. Have a wonderful anniversary with your husband!

oK.. I am clarifying my post.

I said specifically that I was NOT saying she would resent her daughter or her grandchild because she didn't go to WDW. I said it MIGHT happen to anyone.

Claudia has a daughter with mental disabilities. At a time when she thought her children were close to grown, she is met with an unexpected and stressful situation. Because of her daughter's handicap, she is going to be the primary care giver, which is going to cause her more stress. AS SHE has stated! That situation is going to cause ANYONE to be resentful at some point in their lives. Even for the most fleeting of moments. I don't care if you are Nurse Ratched or Mother Theresa. It is perfectly understandable and normal.

In order to prevent such feelings, since she is all ready so stressed out as is her husband, I feel she should go. Which I stated.
I am sorry if Claudia took it the wrong way, and I apologize to Claudia if she took it to mean I said she would be resentful if she didn't go to WDW.

Claudia - I'd been lurking over this post. I don't know all of the issues with your daughter but I did recall that she has special needs. Obviously your daughter has a wondrful support system.
You and your husband definitely need to find some decompression time. I can't imagine a better way to decompress than dinner for two at EPCOT. GO! ENJOY!

P.S. I can tell from your post that you must be a wonderful advocate for your daughter. Way to go!

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to be honest this is not anyone's buisness but Claudia, her DD and her DH. If her DD, has stated that she wants her to go on this trip, then I don't see why Claudia should not believe her. I do not think that there will be any resentment, on the part of a child who has been supported and loved through this. She has plenty of support, and all steps are being taken to make sure that everything goes well. I think that a little R & R is needed, and deserved. Claudia will only be a few hours away.

I do not understand why every negative aspect of this has to be dredged up, unless it is to make someone feel bad.

Claudia, you do what is best for you and your family. You know the situation best. Like I said before you have gone through alot, and are and incredibly strong person.

I was dialated to 5 at 6 weeks prior to due date....(well I only last 3 weeks before having dd). So I'm sure she'll be fine!!!! Go and have a good time....

Have a wonderful trip! Enjoy your pre-grandma time with your DH. Have a wonderful anniversary.

:D

Just chiming in to say that it's amazing what a difference a one night getaway can make.

DH and I spent a night in NYC last month. It was wonderful. Too often, we take for granted the person who means the most to us.

It sounds like you've discovered the secret to marital longevity. Go and create some magical memories to get you through the difficult times that lie ahead.

I hope your time alone with your DH is magical and refreshing. If you two are not strong together how can you be strong for anyone else? If you don't take some time for the two of you haow can you stay strong?
Your DD is very lucky to have such wondreful caring parents. You sound like wonderful advocates for your daughter.:)

Wow! In my 4+ years and (currently registered) 900+ posts, I don't think I have ever started such a long thread!

To everybody: I feel your concern and do not take offense at anything. I know that posting in such a unique, public forum is tricky in the best of situations and I would have chosen not to do so, if I was not prepared for any and every response.

Jenzebelle, you are so right! We have worked very, very hard to avoid such feelings, and even to avoid personal reactions that our DD might misinterpret. We truly do not harbor any resentment at this time but stress and anxiety can do strange things to normal people. Being aware of such pitfalls has made us determined to find a way around this minefield without any casualties (including us!)

Crissup, funny; very, very funny! I anticipate that my phone will ring just as the RnR hits 58mph. Being a very determined and resourceful mom, I will have it answered and standy-by airline tix arranged before we arrive at the "concert"! LOL!

DD had her regular counseling session today and all is very, very well. DD's OB said, "Of course, come right on in!" Great, huh?!?! Assuming the appt goes well, we only have 4 goals for our 39 hours. RnR for me, Kilimanjaro Safari for DH, LeCellier for both of us, and just chill (in the Florida heat, LOL!)

Again, no offense taken. Thanks to all who have stood by my side. Thanks to all who have takent the time to show their concern.

I'll keep you posted........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter