How fast it all changed.

Hospice.

The kids and I met with DH and the hospice intake nurse at 10:30 this morning. He liked the sound of everything but also seemed hesitant. She kept talking to him and finally he told her he was worried about getting to the bathroom. She reassured him that he would not have to wait - they respond quickly to the call button and once he felt ok about that he said he was ready to go. Fortunately they had an open bed.

He was transported at 1pm. By 1:45pm he'd been settled in his very lovely room. He asked for some water and he was brought two cups and the intake nurse who welcomed him asked if he'd like a Popsicle. He did and LOVED it - ate the whole thing. They brought him soup - they make a homemade soup daily. It was vegetable and smelled fantastic He said it was the best soup he'd ever eaten. He ate about half the bowl which was quite a good size, some crackers and cheese.

His meds arrived at 3, so he was about an hour late for the morphine and I could see he was getting uncomfortable but he had his dose and started to settle. He had a Reiki session and they brought him a warm blanket for his stomach which was a little uncomfortable. I'm sure that's because he ate more in that one meal than he had in days. He said he hadn't eaten at all today. I swear I wouldn't feed the dogs the hospital slop he was getting. Speaking of - we can take the doggos to visit! He has a CD player and TV/DVD player in his room, a pullout chair if any of us want a sleepover. There are always food items in the kitchen for residents as well as family and friends. It was truly such an amazing thing to see him so cared for. DD and I had gone over and set up his family pictures and taken his clothes to be all ready when he got there. I just brought her home now so she can carry on with her evening and I'm heading back now.

I so hope he can regain some strength there and have good days/weeks?? ahead. I even have a tiny hope he might regain enough strength for chemo and maybe get a year or more, but I'd be happy with peace and comfort for his remaining time. He is extremely weak right now but hasn't been eating, so maybe...

How WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for updating.

Hospice.

The kids and I met with DH and the hospice intake nurse at 10:30 this morning. He liked the sound of everything but also seemed hesitant. She kept talking to him and finally he told her he was worried about getting to the bathroom. She reassured him that he would not have to wait - they respond quickly to the call button and once he felt ok about that he said he was ready to go. Fortunately they had an open bed.

He was transported at 1pm. By 1:45pm he'd been settled in his very lovely room. He asked for some water and he was brought two cups and the intake nurse who welcomed him asked if he'd like a Popsicle. He did and LOVED it - ate the whole thing. They brought him soup - they make a homemade soup daily. It was vegetable and smelled fantastic He said it was the best soup he'd ever eaten. He ate about half the bowl which was quite a good size, some crackers and cheese.

His meds arrived at 3, so he was about an hour late for the morphine and I could see he was getting uncomfortable but he had his dose and started to settle. He had a Reiki session and they brought him a warm blanket for his stomach which was a little uncomfortable. I'm sure that's because he ate more in that one meal than he had in days. He said he hadn't eaten at all today. I swear I wouldn't feed the dogs the hospital slop he was getting. Speaking of - we can take the doggos to visit! He has a CD player and TV/DVD player in his room, a pullout chair if any of us want a sleepover. There are always food items in the kitchen for residents as well as family and friends. It was truly such an amazing thing to see him so cared for. DD and I had gone over and set up his family pictures and taken his clothes to be all ready when he got there. I just brought her home now so she can carry on with her evening and I'm heading back now.

I so hope he can regain some strength there and have good days/weeks?? ahead. I even have a tiny hope he might regain enough strength for chemo and maybe get a year or more, but I'd be happy with peace and comfort for his remaining time. He is extremely weak right now but hasn't been eating, so maybe...
I'm happy to read all this. I hope this gives you the peace you all need and some quality time together.

I’m a lurker on this thread.
My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time.

So glad to hear he is there and getting the TLC he so deserves. I hope that gives you some relief also. Prayers that he will gain strength for chemo and that you all will have some memorable days ahead. You are all in my thoughts. Live in the moment.

Been following along since the beginning. Just wanted to offer my thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time. I can't even imagine what you all are going through.

Rodeo, I hope your husband gains comfort and strength in hospice and that your family gains precious time. You all are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.

Just checking in Rodeo. Update us when you can. Just wanted to pop in and see if you posted an update. Still thinking of you and family, still praying. Still here. You can't get rid of us!

So, I got kicked out of his room today. Twice. But I'm actually seeing it as a good thing. He was irritable - really irritable, rather than the defeated, depressed man of the past few weeks. I'll take it. He tossed me because the never ending cough was annoying him and he couldn't sleep. I've had it for a month and he's never asked me to leave before - always wanting me right beside him.

He also showed minute improvement in strength when he was able to re-position himself in bed without getting me to hoist him. Small things but positive to me. And he is eating pretty well. 1/4 sandwich and the whole bowl of soup for lunch today. Good portion of salmon and rice for dinner. Popsicles. He said he was feeling 'better' tonight.

He looks very different now, though. I was looking at pictures tonight from last summer and it's so shocking.

So, I got kicked out of his room today. Twice. But I'm actually seeing it as a good thing. He was irritable - really irritable, rather than the defeated, depressed man of the past few weeks. I'll take it. He tossed me because the never ending cough was annoying him and he couldn't sleep. I've had it for a month and he's never asked me to leave before - always wanting me right beside him.

He also showed minute improvement in strength when he was able to re-position himself in bed without getting me to hoist him. Small things but positive to me. And he is eating pretty well. 1/4 sandwich and the whole bowl of soup for lunch today. Good portion of salmon and rice for dinner. Popsicles. He said he was feeling 'better' tonight.

He looks very different now, though. I was looking at pictures tonight from last summer and it's so shocking.
I'm forever the optimist, but this sounds like good news to me. It sounded like he was in too much pain to be hungry previously. Hopefully, with proper pain medication he'll get strong enough to fight the cancer. I'm pulling for you guys & hope for another positive report tomorrow. :hug:

rodeo65

I'm so glad you were able to make this decision as a family and that your dh is at peace with the decision. The hospice house mom was at was so great, not only to her but to us as well. There was one nurse for two rooms, stationed right outside her room, so she was checked on regularly and they were often inside to help her before I could go get them. They are trained to know/hear/see/read what is going on and stay on top of the situation. They were also so good to my dh and me--making sure our needs were met, informing us of what was going on, explaining the signs they were seeing.

Have you been to a doctor about your cough? There is some good cough syrup that you can get which will quiet your cough. Please take care of yourself as well.

Praying for all of you.

Thanks for the update Rodeo. Continued prayers for him and you.

Hopefully, he continues these little improvements. How difficult this is for all of you! I can’t imagine. Use us as a venting space. We’re here for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter