How did you Plunge into Solo Trip?

Good for you, Jeanelain!

You'll have the opportunity to do many of the things you haven't done because you're always considerate of your family. Or do nothing at all! :)

I have several friends whose DH's go off for an extended weekend or week-long trip each year for their special interests, but are completely shocked when their wives want to do the same thing! D'oh!

I'm not male-bashing, mind. Just find it amusing that it doesn't occur to some men that women would like a break, too!

Taja....I am of the opinion that A LOT of things don't occur to men :rotfl2: .
Sorry, that really is male bashing...but I honestly think it true.

I was a 'kinda' only child in that my sister was 8 years older and left for college when I was 10. But I liked doing things with friends until I heard all the stories of 3somes going to Europe and everybody getting mad cause they didn't get to do what they wanted...So I decided to go to Europe for a year alone and do what I wanted to do...It was great fun and easy to hook up with other travelers so I was only alone when I wanted to be.

After that, if I couldn't find someone to do something with me, I just did it myself. And when I got married, I had the solo stuff pretty much out of my system and was happy and excited to share. Now that I'm alone again, I find it harder to go off alone because it wasn't solo BY CHOICE. I realize that I have to change my mindset. And so...I'm off to Disney solo in May. Of course DD is thinking about joining and then I have two girlfriends in Tampa with passes....so I guess I would only be solo if I keep my trip a secret...LOL

Anyway, I can't think of a safer place to try those solo wings than WDW. I mean isn't the whole place wired with security cameras. Isn't MM always watching (and yes, Mickey does know when you take the pool towels to your room!!!) Since it is mostly families or couples...fewer lowlifes are willing to PAY to get in a park to steal, pillage and plunder. The resorts are all well lit and more security guards than you'd realize.

I still don't like eating in a sit down restaurant alone, but if you feel the same...WDW is the perfect place to eat on the go anyway.

So...if I end up solo in May, I'm thinking it will be great fun to do just what I want to do, but if friends or DD joins me..then I'm thinking how fun it will be to share!

So go for it! Have fun! And give us a trip report when you return!

Yet another teacher here. My upcoming summer solo trip was unexpected to say the least.

Every summer my parents and I go over for 3 weeks to a beautiful villa, since 1991 in fact. This year was to be the same. Life has taken an unexpected turn and my mum has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She will be starting chemo soon and will be having treatment through the summer months. Of course the flights and villa rental were cancelled.

I decided straight away that I was going to go on my own. I am off for almost 2 months in the summer and the thought of spending it all at home horrified me. I get bored very quickly!

Last weekend I booked 11 nights at POR using Dreams Unlimited. I got an amazing flight discount as my dad was able to use some of his air miles to get me a ticket.

Although this is not the holiday I was expecting, I am looking forward to it very much.

You all make me smile! :goodvibes

I am planning my second solo trip this coming November/December. My husband was the one who planted the idea after I returned from my first solo trip last April. He said, "Are you going to make this a yearly thing?" I didn't really need any more prodding than that! My kids are okay with waiting for their next trip. They don't want to miss school!

As a family, we love the Thanksgiving week trip but this year it will be me for the end of the weekend and beyond. 5 nights at WL! I am looking forward to experiencing the Candlelight Processional and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.

It has been a very difficult year and I am so looking forward to relaxing at WDW!

--penny

My "plunge" was simple, if I don't get out of the office for a few days, there are going to be bloody bodies in the hallways. :rotfl2: Seriously, I just need to get away for a few days. Disney was a no brainer. I can be at MCO in less than 2 hours, got a good room rate with an AP code and a plane ticket with FF points. What I find kind of funny is that I've been to Europe alone, the Caribbean alone, all over the US alone, and finally I am going to WDW alone. Can't wait!

I'm glad that all of you are so brave! I hope that one day I can be confident going by myself. I can't even get through a meal at a restaurant while alone. :sad1: I usually eat so fast and get out of there because I feel like people are staring at me. :crazy2: (And don't worry, I'm not co-dependent either...I just can't stand to eat alone!) :sad:

So good to read about all those other solo'ers out there! I have been solo for years. I travel for work every 2 weeks, and since I am with a team of 6, need to get my 'alone' time.

Kind of weird, but I get a little nervous now about going to WDW or DL with other people!!! I went with friends in Sep and had to book off for alone time every few days...

Of course, the benefit is that you get to meet some great people who have similar interests. I highly recommend arranging to meet someone for a meal, etc. It's only an hour or two out of your trip, and if you don't mesh, then just have a nice meal and part. If you DO mesh, then hang out together!! I always enjoy a few hours with TLinden16 on my trips - it makes a nice break to be with someone on the same wavelength about WDW!!

Most of my trips have been solo, my friends think I am crazy for my love of Disney, that I can spend my vacations otherwise, cheaper. I find that going solo to DW, I can relax, learn and meet exciting people and be free to do my own thing. I have always spent at least two or more days before or after a trip with friends solo to just do my own thing. I have taken tours, gone on rides, just sat and watched people and had the best time. I spent a week celebrating my birthday and it happended to be the busiest week of the summer and I cant tell you the people I met and the fun I had, I wouldn trade it. I cant wait till my next visit that will be in May 2005

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter