• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-board to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you Plunge into Solo Trip?

Hey...

I know it's already been said on here but I have found going solo to be so liberating!!! YOU get to decide where and when you want to go, how long you want to stay, and how many times in a row you want to ride or see something! :)

On one trip a friend's travel plans got messed up so that I'd be there by myself for three days. I decided to stay and had the BEST time! Since I have always found it difficult to find people who love Disney as much as I do - I've gone solo many, many times! I've done both DW and DL solo.

It IS nice to share things with a friend - however NOT having to compromise on a lot of decisions is a big positive. Either people can't keep up with me, hate certain rides or parks. Going solo nullifies that.

Interestingly, I've met lots of nice people when I've gone solo. You keep seeing the same people it seems and I've struck up some great conversations with people. I've never felt alone - just independent.

And bless those rides that have single rider lines!

Smiles,

Holly
Just a few more weeks and I'll be living in Mecca...I man the Dsiney area!

I go solo all the time. This way in the morning when I get up If I decided that today will be a pool day and not a park day then so be it.

I am currently trying to decide between a solo trip to WDW May 27-June 6 (yes I know it will be crowded) and a solo trip to Oahu, HI Sept 1-9 or Oct 1-9.

WDW is a safe and security place for solos.

I will start to go more often solo myself.

Love it - you decide if a park day or just a pool day or even I don't have to get out of the bed day!!!

Mother use to go with me --- alot --- but her doctor says he doesn't want her to sit in the car that long.

So I get to go SOLO - Hurray!!!!

and besides it will WAY cheaper!!!! :jumping1: :thewave:

I have never had a problem getting a PS for a single.

the CM's seem to want to talk more to solo travelers.

you can start to appreciate the little things and not worth that someone else in your party is bored.

spiceycat,

I am with you on this. I never decided what I am going to do until the day I get up, unless it is something unusual like going on a tour. If I want to go to a park I will, if not I will stay at the resort.

I spent 4 months in the disney college program when i was a college student and on my days off would wander around the parks alone, and it was great! i was able to relax when i wanted to, eat where i wanted, go on only the rides i wanted. i read books while waiting in long lines or listened to music on my walkman. i've only been to WDW once since then (took a while to move up from being a Broke College Student - am finally going back in march though!!) and when i went last summer it was with a cousin. I found myself longing for the days when I was alone at the parks! she was tired all the time and not as into the parks as I was and had to be convinced to go on any of the rides that weren't roller coaster types. we had fun and all (it's disney - how could you not?!) but i did feel limited.

I really wanted to go to WDW during the 25th Anniversary back in 1996, but the timing and/or interest just wasn't working for other people. I hadn't been there for ten years and I was really disappointed to miss it. A couple of years later, I had a partial solo trip and that was it for me. I had so much fun by myself, I resolved that my love of WDW would never again be at the mercy of someone else's schedule.

I went once with someone who was so miserable there (they were just a miserable person and we've since parted ways) and whined about the whole thing, that I spent the whole trip alone anyway while he sat in the room watching tv. :rolleyes:

Going solo was an easy transition.

I enjoy it. You can dictate your own pace and do what you want, when you want. Maybe that sounds selfish, but it's great. It really is.

I went solo once and spent a whole day in the WS. :) Another time, I just walked around AK, no rides, just walking around looking at things, seeing shows.

My first solo trip was to DL in 1994 - I was in LA for a meeting and had a free day. That started it all.....

Since I travel for a living, I am very used to enjoying places on my own. Former SO hated the mouse and refused to ever go, so it was on my own or with friends. I have been to DL and WDW many times with others, and while I do have a great time (except for those ppl like EsmereldaX's friend who just don't want to be there), I also really enjoy my time alone. I love classic literature, and often park myself somewhere in WS and read for an hour or two. When I re-read those books, I have the memories of Epcot in the back of my mind.

I agree that you can wander around and just look at things. I find that I have double the time on solo trips. Yes, I occaisionally meet up with other solo's, but keep that to 2 or 3 times a trip, and make no other plans.

bavaria said:
I love classic literature, and often park myself somewhere in WS and read for an hour or two.

I took a book with me to WS last year and found it very enjoyable. On the practical side, it gave me something to do while waiting for my lunch to be served, and also added to the relaxation of the garden in the UK pavilion. I plan to bring a book on every solo trip now.

There are some really good reading spots - the rocking chairs at BW and YC/BC, WL; the boats bwn CR, WL, and FW; anywhere at FW; the gardens at Riverside; the hammocks at CBR and PR; the boat from PO to DTD....

My favourite is the little garden (NOT the smoking area) outside France. I'll read for an hour or two, stopping to watch the chair act and the balloon guy, which are two of my favourite live shows.

Since my favourite books are usually out of print, I bring some very old used copies with me. If I do have a book which is still in print, however, like a lot of my Steinbeck, I will try and leave it or give it to someone. (Such as a very sweet server at Alfredo's who thought that she might have heard of John Steinbeck once and was very interested in The Moon is Down - she received my slightly used copy when I was done)

Sorry - that went WAAAAAAAAAAY off topic for a moment!

I'm an only child and learned at a very young age that if I really want to do something, don't wait for others to want the same thing! I've traveled solo since high school--usually not to places as safe as WDW! My first solo trip to WDW was in 1981 for the Tencennial Celebration, just before EPCOT opened. I was there 3 days and completely relaxed and enjoyed myself!

Returned to WDW in 2003 with a friend (we always had wanted to go to WDW together from time the concept was announced, but we grew up in between) on the FTP, and we had a ladies-only R&R trip. Returned solo in December 2003 and December 2004. Each trip was enjoyable in its own way, as those who travel solo and with family or friends will agree.

Just be aware of your surrounding and use common sense. You'll be fine! :)

Taja said:
I'm an only child and learned at a very young age that if I really want to do something, don't wait for others to want the same thing! I've traveled solo since high school--usually not to places as safe as WDW!
I think it's interesting that you're an only child. So am I, and I've occassionally wondered if that has anything to do with why I'm so comfortable traveling by myself-when I was younger, I was so often playing alone. Any other comments about that?

Ditto for this only child. I have many fond memories of walking to the park just to sit and watch the breeze rippling in the grass. Now I go to WDW and sit on the beach and watch the water mice and ferry boats. :) Dining alone is no problem, either. Maybe having a more solitary or independent childhood does impact one's comfort level with this - I find it quite relaxing and rejuvenating.

I'm an only child too and have always been happy whether with friends or by myself. Some of my friends can't understand how I can be happy doing my own thing but I love it - I can do what I want when I want. In fact, I'm planning my first solo trip this coming December.

I too grew up an only child. I have 2 half-brothers who are significantly older and didn't "grow up" with them, although now that we're all older, are making up for lost time.

I've always been comfortable doing things on my own!! :teeth:

I first traveled to WDW solo last April during the EPCOT Flower and Garden Show. My mother was very ill and I just needed a break from it all. My DH was so supportive and my kids (after the shock of "WE don't get to go?") were okay with the whole thing. I told my DH, it's either therapy or a vacation and once they get me in therapy they probably won't let me out! Way cheaper to Disney!!!

We buried my Mom two weeks ago. WDW is a place of fond memories. She always met us for breakfast or lunch at the WL when my family traveled to WDW. So it's time to plan a return solo trip. The family will be back in a year or two but I'm comtemplating early December with all the holiday trimmings for me. It's soothing just to think about it.

I am not an only child (4th of 5!) but enjoyed living alone and having a career before I took on the primary job of household manager and mom. Disney is the perfect place to vacation solo. There is always someone around and staying on property makes it all so easy.

--penny

I certainly had a few strange comments about the fact that I was going anywhere by myself, especially WDW as I have kids! It was my 40th birthday a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't prepared to take my kids out of school for a trip anywhere to celebrate my birthday. We had a great family holiday in WDW for three weeks last summer (stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort) and DH isn't in a huge hurry to go back. As far as he's concerned, he's "done the Disney thing" and always looks to visit different places on our family holidays. In a while, he probably won't mind going back again but generally he doesn't see much point in revisiting places all the time - even if the trip was good. Although he quite liked it, he hasn't become addicted (like me!!). The kids might liked to have gone, but in fact they were more worried about the hurricanes (we got caught in Hurricane Charley) and didn't seem to mind that I was going away on my own to celebrate my birthday. I was staying at a different hotel and not doing their favourite bits (Discovery Cove, SeaWorld & CBR).

"At the end of the day" (as the saying goes) it suited DH and me perfectly. I got a nice holiday and did whatever I wanted and DH took a week off work to look after the children giving him free time during the day. It also saved us half a ton of money as there was just me going on my own during term time.

Penny :hug: :hug: So sorry to hear you have lost your Mom. I know what you mean about fond memories though. We 1st went to wdw in 2000 and had a wonderful time. In 2002 I lost my DH to cancer. I have made 5 trips back since then, 2 with my DD and 3 solo! We too have so many fond memories of our 1st trip. I would never have had the courage to travel back solo if it hadn't been for this board and the encouragement everyone gives one another :) In fact, I'm heading back again this May :flower:

Oh, and I am the 3rd in a family of 4.

Kathe

I'm planning my first solo trip...Sept 23, 2020. Ha :rotfl: Ha! That will be my 43rd birthday and I think it will be about time!

I'm a 41 yr old mom of two and have never gone to DW by myself. My dh is planning a fishing trip in June, he also takes a week in Aug and goofs off with his brother doing whatever they want.

well, i started thinking that i never go on a vacation and do WHAT I WANT TO DO!!! We've been going to DW for years, but I've bypassed attractions, restaurants, etc to do what the kids wanted. So, i started thinking, this could be a break for me. i told dh my plan and he looked at me very suspiciously and said "who would want to go to DW alone?" and now thru this board I see i'm not the only one!!!

i'm making my plan for Oct since thats MY favorite time to go and i don't have to worry about taking the kids out of school!! yay!! I'm only going a few days but now I can't wait!!

thanks for the advice and moral support. Now i must plan my getaway :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter