Horrible Experience at Harmony Barber Shop

This is an entertaining thread, in the same way it was entertaining to pick at scabs when I was a kid. ;)

I realize that oceans of water have passed beneath the bridge since the thread was started, but I'm still compelled to a comment:

1) To those who would suggest that it's not a hairstylist's job to entertain kids while they cut their hair, I would generally agree. This particular barbershop, however, happens to be smack dab in the middle of a resort that considers its primary mission to be entertaining people, ESPECIALLY children. Disney put that barbershop there as part of the theme park experience, and I doubt they think people should expect to spend money to get into a theme park, then spend part of their day getting their children's hair cut at a premium price, to get just a haircut. They call Disney employees "castmembers" for a reason -- because they are expected to be more than mere "employees" doing a menial task.

oh my gosh, sorry you had such a lousy experience! i know it's easy for people to say what you should or should not have done, but i know that in that moment it would be so hard to want anything more than to get the heck out of there, especially with your son being so upset. haven't read the rest of the thread yet but i hope you receive a response from disney, it would at least be appropriate for them to reimburse you for the haircut & the hat. good luck!

kpk89 said:
I can't believe this thread is still going on!

I can't believe I'm posting on it!

Ack!

I wonder what Norma's up to these days?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :rotfl2:

We are headed for Disney at the end of july and our 5 year old son has curly brown hair almost down to his butt and we were thinking of getting it cut before he starts school in the fall (he loves his *pirate hair* pirate: but he's begining to want it cut because people keep calling him a girl). and I was thinking this would be a very neat place for his first haircut and Disney better hope that nothing like that happens to my kid. Someone like that has no business working there. And if the place advertises bells and whisles (as i've read in many books and on many websites) then there better be some bells and whistles, heck...your paying a small fortune to get into the park to begin with. And I dont suppose first haircuts are Free anymore are they? I had read that somewhere but I think that was a book from 2003.

kstinw19 said:
Not true...my old roommate used to work in guest letters, and they used to give out free one day park passes all the time. One time they gave a family a one day pass each because the pigeons at one of the pools were bothering them AFTER THEY FED THEM :rolleyes:

Geez, you've got to be kidding me! I've had real issues and never get anything :rotfl:
Like the morning we showed up to Tony's for breakfast {early and w/ PS} only to find out the restaurant was closed. This was the week after 9/11.
When I went to guest relations or whatever at town hall, I was just told... sorry.
But actually the restaurant did open up about 1.5 hours later and we did get in.
Oh but back to the story here! I just read all 11 pages, with a headache and I can't believe how some members reacted against the OP. At least Disney made it up to her. IMO

mandysbus said:
We are headed for Disney at the end of july and our 5 year old son has curly brown hair almost down to his butt and we were thinking of getting it cut before he starts school in the fall (he loves his *pirate hair* pirate: but he's begining to want it cut because people keep calling him a girl). and I was thinking this would be a very neat place for his first haircut and Disney better hope that nothing like that happens to my kid. Someone like that has no business working there. And if the place advertises bells and whisles (as i've read in many books and on many websites) then there better be some bells and whistles, heck...your paying a small fortune to get into the park to begin with. And I dont suppose first haircuts are Free anymore are they? I had read that somewhere but I think that was a book from 2003.
I have seen it posted here that people have gotten free first haircut ears- I don't remember about the haircut. We had a great experience in January with DD4 and DS2. My DH even went back later in the week and Maura cut his hair- she used to be a barber in the army! Have fun!

Ok sorry to keep this thread alive but my son had his 2nd haircut at the barbershop at the end of april this year (had his first last year by Michal who was awesome!)and all I could remember was I'd read the OP prior to going on this trip and was freaked out that there was a Norma there the day we went! Well, needless to say I tried to get the other barber but she was taking forever and so we ended up having Norma..can't tell you how terrified I was! But overall it went ok and the cut was nice and she did put stickers on my son and got the bubbles out. The only bad thing was she didn't put the cape on all around him and so he had clippings on his tshirt that I had to pick off all day! The other thing that was a liitle odd but I didn't complain was she gave us a first haircut cert and ears even though we told her that this was a second cut... I'm temped to post her photo to see if she is the original Norma but am trying to be kind.....

happypooh said:
Ok sorry to keep this thread alive but my son had his 2nd haircut at the barbershop at the end of april this year (had his first last year by Michal who was awesome!)and all I could remember was I'd read the OP prior to going on this trip and was freaked out that there was a Norma there the day we went! Well, needless to say I tried to get the other barber but she was taking forever and so we ended up having Norma..can't tell you how terrified I was! But overall it went ok and the cut was nice and she did put stickers on my son and got the bubbles out. The only bad thing was she didn't put the cape on all around him and so he had clippings on his tshirt that I had to pick off all day! The other thing that was a liitle odd but I didn't complain was she gave us a first haircut cert and ears even though we told her that this was a second cut... I'm temped to post her photo to see if she is the original Norma but am trying to be kind.....
I would seriously like to know if this is the same person. I will not get DS hair done by this person! We wanted to take him there for a haircut on our upcoming trip. I thought she was fired. :confused3

We just got back and had my DD's hair cut (first one!) there too, and were taken care of by Norma. I had remembered this thread, and was just hoping not to get her, but go figure.

She was okay. I wasn't totally blown away. It almost seemed as though she was talked to, and brought out the stickers and bubbles because someone told her she had to. She definately wasn't overly friendly. She also cut off way more of DD's hair than I wanted her to.

But, I got what we went for, the memory of my DD having her first haircut at Magic Kingdom, and some cute pictures.

I can post them if anyone is interested. I think I actually have Norma in a few of the pictures too.

diannaneglia said:
Ok may I repeat...I think people like you need a 'shrink'...she is harrassing no one. She is only telling us of her experience with the darn haircut. I am so amazed at all the people who are so quick to pull out the law books...gosh...get a life already!

I think the word that person was looking for was slander...and the only defense for slander is TRUTH! So OP could not be succesfully sued for anything b/c all she is doing is reporting facts that happened on her visit to Harmony.

Oh happy day!

Just to clarify a few things...

You do pay for a first haircut. They are not free, although I think they are half price (about $9 plus tip.)

The "First Haircut Ears" are not something you are given to keep, they have a set they put on your child's head after the haircut so you can take a photo, but you can't leave with them.

Hope that clarifies.

BTW--Penny and Michal are both WONDERFUL barbers, and I wouldn't hestitate to have either of them cut your child's hair. My son is 20, and Michal has been cutting his hair for it's got to be 15 years now. He's gone to other people, but he'd rather go to Michal or Penny. In fact two weeks ago he tagged along to WDW for the day with DH and I for the sole purpose of getting a haircut.

Anne

ducklite said:
Just to clarify a few things...

You do pay for a first haircut. They are not free, although I think they are half price (about $9 plus tip.)

The "First Haircut Ears" are not something you are given to keep, they have a set they put on your child's head after the haircut so you can take a photo, but you can't leave with them.

This is incorrect.

First haircuts are more than $9...more like in the $12-$15 range (I forget exactly) and for the FIRST Hair cut you get:

My first haircut Mickey Ears
Certificate
Silly picture (you take--but they do the big scissors gag--I think they will do this for anybody, this is just our experience as well as my friend who is a former CM)
And a keepsake lock of their hair

My friend has had this for both of her children--her other friend whom they went to Disney with last December had it done for her child and I had it done for both of my child.

You defnitely keep the ears.

If you do not designate that it is their first haircut--then there is no ears.

My daughter (17 months) got her first haircut this past Tuesday and had Norma, so she is still there. She was very good. She gave the baby stickers from the start and pulled out the Mickey confetti when she started to get squirmy. We got a certificate, "first haircut" mouse ears (yes, to keep) and her cut hair wrapped in towels to take home.

Here are a couple of pics. I have some with Norma's face, but I won't post them. Her nametag is prominent when you go in, so it's not likely to be a surprise.

disney2006-2-128-2.jpg

disney2006-2-147-2.jpg

I'm very sorry to the OP that you had such a horrible experience. It should be a special treat and not something that makes your little one cry!

I guess my DS won't be getting his haircut here unless we can request someone else. I"m too funny about people not treating my kids nice to begin with, so I'd rather not take a chance on someone that may be a bit shady.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
This is incorrect.

First haircuts are more than $9...more like in the $12-$15 range (I forget exactly) and for the FIRST Hair cut you get:

My first haircut Mickey Ears
Certificate
Silly picture (you take--but they do the big scissors gag--I think they will do this for anybody, this is just our experience as well as my friend who is a former CM)
And a keepsake lock of their hair

My friend has had this for both of her children--her other friend whom they went to Disney with last December had it done for her child and I had it done for both of my child.

You defnitely keep the ears.

If you do not designate that it is their first haircut--then there is no ears.

That's not what I saw while watching a little boy get his first haircut two weeks ago while DS was waiting for a hiarcut. They did NOT get to keep the ears, and they were charged $9. They did get a certificate and a lock of hair.

Anne

ducklite said:
That's not what I saw while watching a little boy get his first haircut two weeks ago while DS was waiting for a hiarcut. They did NOT get to keep the ears, and they were charged $9. They did get a certificate and a lock of hair.

Anne

Not trying to start something...but we've had both kids and a nephew (most recent, end of May '06) with a first haricut and we have the ears to prove it. We also paid about $12. Maybe they were out of the ears when you went and they charged accordingly for the haircut experience.

When my DS had his haircut a few years back, he got the last pair of Mickey ears for the day. That was around noon-ish? The children waiting after us did not get ears.

I too can vouch for the fact that you get to keep the ears. We were just there on Thursday morning. My DD got the pink ears with Minnie on the front. We paid $14, plus a $3 tip. We also got the certificate, lock of hair, and a packet of Mickey pixie dust to take with us.

Like I said in an earlier post, we did get Norma, but she was okay. I think the issue may be that she doesn't speak/understand English well? She had a heavy accent from somewhere. Maybe she just cuts and really can't understand if parents give her specific instructions. She cut off more of my DD's hair than I told her too, but oh well. She was okay with my DD, but it almost seemed kind of like she was faking it.

mantysk8coach said:
I too can vouch for the fact that you get to keep the ears. We were just there on Thursday morning. My DD got the pink ears with Minnie on the front. We paid $14, plus a $3 tip. We also got the certificate, lock of hair, and a packet of Mickey pixie dust to take with us.

Like I said in an earlier post, we did get Norma, but she was okay. I think the issue may be that she doesn't speak/understand English well? She had a heavy accent from somewhere. Maybe she just cuts and really can't understand if parents give her specific instructions. She cut off more of my DD's hair than I told her too, but oh well. She was okay with my DD, but it almost seemed kind of like she was faking it.
IMO she sound like someone who should not be working with children!

ducklite said:

Anne

Then he didn't get "My First Haircut" then. They probably opted to do something cheaper or as someone said they might have ran out. But they didn't get the full treatment on a MFH where Ears are included and were charged accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter