Horrible Experience at Harmony Barber Shop

goofygal531 - I'm so sorry this happened to you! And I am glad to hear that Disney has responded to your letter and let you know that she will no longer be cutting hair there...that seems like the ideal outcome from this horrible experience.

I really hope your son has a better haircut next time.

goofygal531 said:
Yes and no, the croup was a false alarm he had a cold. By the time we got his haircut he was well.

I'm not out for any compensation, this was all just an FYI. I just don't feel the stylist had any manners or enjoyed working with children.

Why is everyone bothering you about this? I'm pretty sure if I was a hairstylist, I would've have asked the parents whether or not the child was sick, so I don't believe that your son having/not having the croup has anything to do with this. Also, if you told the stylist in detail, what you wanted, why the hell would she pull out her buzzer? It's a shame that you had to go through this bad experience. And you're right, it shouldn't keep you from getting your son's haircut at Disney. It's a special thing and you have a right to it!!!

You're good, b/c I would've kicked her butt and then grabbed the clippers and shaved her head and see if she would've liked it. pirate:

familyoffive said:
I can't resist either ::yes:: LIBEL or SLANDER = DEFAMATION. :teacher:

The intent is there in the form of posting the complaint for anyone to see. The inclusion of names and details further magnifies the action of DEFAMATION. Since the OP has expressed an OPINION :eek: , the truth cannot be realized. Good luck on your future legal career :coffee:

Sounds like you need a dose of Disney. :rolleyes:

No, it was not opinion. The OP stated the events as they happened. It's not like she just didn't like her kid's haircut.

Goofygal,

I wanted to e-mail you this to lend my support....I am glad that you got a positive response from Disney....Here is a short story....

I post more on another board that I am quite fond of...There was a post of
"Should I get my DS's first Haircut in Disney?"....I privately e-mailed the person and said that I had read a post saying that there was a problem with one stylist at the shop...I suggested she asked for Michael, as I had seen many happy posts about him and I could personally recommend him, as he had patiently cut my DS 2yo's hair...Well, she got back from her trip sometime in March I believe, and she had a disastorous experience in the barbershop....Remember, I only told her to ask for Michael...She went back and reviewed the videotape and guess who's name was on the CM's tag??

The Harmony Barbershop is one of my favorite memories of WDW...I am glad that the outcome has been resolved. :)

MinnieGirl33 said:
Might be worth reporting to the state cosmetology board as well. Not sure if it's possible without a last name but maybe you could forward them the same letter you sent guest communications.

Also, Michael is wonderful there. Gave both our sons their first haircuts. Boys are now 11 & 8 & have had a number of haicuts here but they only want Michael to do them so if he's not there we come back.

FWIW, I used to dread taking DS8 for haircuts. I understand the screaming, squirming, etc. Don't be discouraged if this makes it worse for a while. He will eventually grow out of that fear.

::MinnieMo

Michal is WONDERFUL! I got his name from these boards, and he cut ds's hair for the first time...it was fantastic! He is truly gifted with cutting children's hair! :banana:
If Norma is the scary, severe looking woman with long black hair...we saw here there and she scared the bejeezus out of me and dh. NO WAY were we going to let her near our son's head. We let 2 people go in front of us to wait for Michal. Would have been 3 people, but another gentleman also wanted Michal to cut his hair. :rotfl2:

Schmeck said:
I'm trying to picture a hairstylist blowing bubbles, sticking stickers and cutting a child's hair, all at the same time... :rolleyes:

Gee, how did kids get their hair cut before videos and 'bells and whistles' became the norm? :lmao:

Sorry junior got a lousy haircut, but it's not the end of the world - and you're doomed to fail if you go to WDW with expectations of repeating 'magical moments' as others have noted.

Complaints made days after an event will not be taken very seriously, and compensation of any kind is rare. Also, making accusations online against someone can be considered harrassment, and a lawsuit can be filed.

<whipping out my legal education>
You are completely wrong about the lawsuit business as it pertains to this situation. Sorry! :teeth:

I do not think it is wrong for the OP to expect a decent haircut! I don't care WHERE IN THE WORLD she is....the disastrous haircut should not be excused just because it is Disney.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Not a flame....

But the Barber Shop at MK is there for entertainment value as well. That is what it is and what they do and what has been written up and advertised. It is a "special" shop--much like the shop that the OP takes her son to at home (I think I've seen it on TV even).

It is first come first serve and really no regular clients like in a regular salon or barber shop.

Oh--and the children's haircuts are priced accordingly to account for all the gimmicks.

I am sorry for you experience at this Barber Shop. I know I too would have been upset if something like this happened. Sitting here reading this thread it surprises me because we have had my son's hair cut there twice (he only gets a haircut once a year! Literally) and have had great experiences both times. Mainly because he sat so nice and still. The first he was entertained with the stickers which they put all over him. The second Michael handed them to me and I was happy to stick them on. No bubbles either time. No light spinner either time but both were great! But I know everybody has their bad days or maybe just shouldn't be where they are. Maybe the lady really isn't that great with kids so I think the heads up to disney was good. I don't think the OP was looking for anything from disney. Just a hey, thought you might want to know this happened.

I personally will continue to go there and think if you have never been, it is a great experience, don't go in expecting anything. I went in expecting nothing but a haircut on main street! BTW, they cut my husbands and mine too. I don't think they are quite salon stylists but all I needed, a nice trim in a pleasant atmosphere!

Disney haircuts are actually cheaper then our great clips! So I don't feel they are priced to include all the gimmicks.

jessica52877 said:
I am sorry for you experience at this Barber Shop. I know I too would have been upset if something like this happened. Sitting here reading this thread it surprises me because we have had my son's hair cut there twice (he only gets a haircut once a year! Literally) and have had great experiences both times. Mainly because he sat so nice and still. The first he was entertained with the stickers which they put all over him. The second Michael handed them to me and I was happy to stick them on. No bubbles either time. No light spinner either time but both were great! But I know everybody has their bad days or maybe just shouldn't be where they are. Maybe the lady really isn't that great with kids so I think the heads up to disney was good. I don't think the OP was looking for anything from disney. Just a hey, thought you might want to know this happened.

I personally will continue to go there and think if you have never been, it is a great experience, don't go in expecting anything. I went in expecting nothing but a haircut on main street! BTW, they cut my husbands and mine too. I don't think they are quite salon stylists but all I needed, a nice trim in a pleasant atmosphere!

Disney haircuts are actually cheaper then our great clips! So I don't feel they are priced to include all the gimmicks.

I have never had problems with them. And for my kds haircuts--they are more expensive than what we have at home.

Also considering they do not do any other services---other than the gimmicks. They are priced albeit competively for that.

I was extremely satisfied with the barber shop. We will probably go back if the timing is right in the future.

Ryne_Haircut.jpg

vhoffman said:
Sorry you had such a bad experience, but, in my opinion, you handled it all wrong!

First, why did you just leave without complaining to a manager? I certainly wouldn't have left $10! Ok, I can understand wanting to just put an end to it and get out of there with a screaming 2 year old, however, I wouldn't just have left it at that. Did you make any complaint later to someone in authority? I'd go straight to the top with this one!

In this day and age everyone's so quick to sue for every little thing. However, I'd sue for this. If you have pictures that's good evidence. There's plenty of money-hungry lawyers out there who'd love to take on your case for a contigency--you don't pay unless you win. Go for it! I'd say Disney owes you big time for this. Also, how is "Nora" ever going to get fired without some sort of official complaint from you? Don't expect anything from Disney--they handle complaints by ignoring them in the hopes you'll go away. This goes way beyond a disatisfied customer--this is plain abuse!

I'd also write a letter describing your experiences to local Orlando newspapers and post on other travel boards, such as Allears.net, Frommers, try CondeNast ombudsman, try local (Orlando) tv stations, don't stop until you get satisfaction. Usually I do like you did--make it go away and get along with my vacation. However, NO ONE abuses my children, and that's what this is. You might even file a complaint with the Orange County dept. of child abuse, whatever its called. It is psychological abuse. Go for it, you need to make sure this type of crap doesn't happen again.

BTW, we had planned a trip to Disney this April and now can't make it. I'm reading more and more about bad experiences there with hotels, services, cm's, lack of cleanliness in the parks and restroooms, inadequate maintenance on the rides, etc. Makes me glad now not to be going. Who needs that crap? We've had magical trips in the past, let the memories stay untarnished. Also its simply too much money to risk on a lousey time.

Good luck in getting a resolution to this awful experience!

I can not believe what you are suggesting...I think you need a 'shrink'!

Schmeck said:
I'm trying to picture a hairstylist blowing bubbles, sticking stickers and cutting a child's hair, all at the same time... :rolleyes:

Gee, how did kids get their hair cut before videos and 'bells and whistles' became the norm? :lmao:

Sorry junior got a lousy haircut, but it's not the end of the world - and you're doomed to fail if you go to WDW with expectations of repeating 'magical moments' as others have noted.

Complaints made days after an event will not be taken very seriously, and compensation of any kind is rare. Also, making accusations online against someone can be considered harrassment, and a lawsuit can be filed.

Ok may I repeat...I think people like you need a 'shrink'...she is harrassing no one. She is only telling us of her experience with the darn haircut. I am so amazed at all the people who are so quick to pull out the law books...gosh...get a life already!

Schmeck said:
Complaints made days after an event will not be taken very seriously, and compensation of any kind is rare.

Not true...my old roommate used to work in guest letters, and they used to give out free one day park passes all the time. One time they gave a family a one day pass each because the pigeons at one of the pools were bothering them AFTER THEY FED THEM :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that Disney is very willing and ready to work with customer complaints. I would give them a call or write them a letter....they take it seriously. I'm sorry your son had such a bad time getting his first haircut. That should have been a fun experience at Disney. And I'm sorry people on this board are being idiots about the whole thing. You are just just informing us. Why flame you for that? :sad2:

We went to MVMCP about 4 years ago. It downpoured the ENTIRE evening. There were "rivers" running through the MK.....we got soaked. All the special Christmas events were cancelled. We just basically spent most of the time under an awning at a restaurant. Finally, after only a few hours we decided to leave and just go back to the hotel. We wrote a letter to Disney explaining what had happened and that we didnt get to see any of the special Christmas things because they were cancelled. It was a nice letter, nothing mean about it. And they sent us two free tickets to Disney in the mail a few weeks later!!!!! They definitely got an A+ in my book!! :thumbsup2

It just makes my blood boil to start reading a thread and then have to get into the flames. Some of you are so rude it's ridiculous. Once again, it's all about what YOU think YOU would do, or how YOU would have handled it. YOU never KNOW how you'll handle it unless it happens to you. Get off your high horses! This is DISNEY people, and Harmony Barbershop is WELL known for its way with the kids during a haricut. I don't know of many toddlers who like it, or WANT to sit still during one unless they're being entertained. DIsney understands this and they make it a magical experience. The OP TOLD Norma how she wanted her son's hair cut. Isn't that what we're SUPPOSED to do?? She didn't say anything about shaving it, or using clippers to cut it close, but good old NORMA whipped out the clippers when mom was trying to entertain her son(which she shouldn't have HAD to do, for cripe's sake) and RAN them UP her TWO YEAR OLDs HEAD!! How can there be even ONE person who can't see the horrible picture here?? The two yo ends up screaming, as I;m SURE it scared the bejezzus outta him, so the first thing in his parents' mind is to get him the HECK outta there..holy mother of pete! I don't even think Norma should be "relocated"....This woman obviously has issues and should be FIRED. If she can't deal with a child, or stress, here then she can't do it anywhere. I am absolutely in shock. As far as the posters who want to go on and on about libel, slander, whatever...this was a simple post by a person who just wanted people to be aware. People complain on these boards all the time. I highly doubt the OP did anything wrong. I think there are just people around here who LOOK for ANYWAY they can :stir: ...and it AIN'T(yes, said on purpose) the OP!

Wow...I can breathe now.

ChristusG said:
We went to MVMCP about 4 years ago. It downpoured the ENTIRE evening. There were "rivers" running through the MK.....we got soaked. All the special Christmas events were cancelled. We just basically spent most of the time under an awning at a restaurant. Finally, after only a few hours we decided to leave and just go back to the hotel. We wrote a letter to Disney explaining what had happened and that we didnt get to see any of the special Christmas things because they were cancelled. It was a nice letter, nothing mean about it. And they sent us two free tickets to Disney in the mail a few weeks later!!!!! They definitely got an A+ in my book!! :thumbsup2

We must have been there the same night! I went to MVMCP one night in early December 2002. It started raining as we went to the party and everyone kept saying that it would stop in a few minutes. But it didn't. :sad2: It poured the whole night. The parade, fireworks, etc. were cancelled.

I can't believe this thread is still going on!

I can't believe I'm posting on it!

Ack!

I wonder what Norma's up to these days?

Well I havent read this post before now, but I am glad you mentioned this woman's name. I remember being about 7yrs old, and my mom took me to a hair stylist who wasnt my "regular". I walked out looking like a boy with a crew cut almost! :guilty: I was SOOOOOO devastated. I was only 7 but it was a big deal because I was going back to school. I remember people asking my "Would HE like a sample?" I was horrified. Im glad your son wasnt old enough to remember it. Hopefully he has had a nice haircut by now and isnt afraid. I know we cut our own son's hair for this reason, but I was thinking of taking my youngest to the barber shop when there in August. Thanks for all the suggestions on who to ask for. For the reasons I stated, we take our 7yr old daughter to a children's salon as well. Id rather pay the 22.00 for a nice haircut than be sorry.

As for all the nasty posts, that is so childish. I think you handled it just fine. I would have wanted to get on with my vacation as well. The least Disney can do is refund your money.

kpk89 said:
I can't believe this thread is still going on!

I can't believe I'm posting on it!

Ack!

I wonder what Norma's up to these days?
I Can't believe I wasted 30 minutes reading all ELEVEN pages of this thread....

After reading it though, I've come to the following conclusions:
  1. Thank goodness I have boys with really short hair.
  2. Kids do not need "entertained" with bubbles when they get their hair cut. They need to be told to sit still otherwise those big scissors will cut off their ears. (Hey it worked when I was a kid and it worked on my two boys).
  3. Magic (a la lightning), never strikes twice.
  4. Everyone has an opinion on how to get freebies from Disney.
Can this thread officially be put to bed now?

Norma's fired, the OP got some $ out of the deal, we all had an opportunity to vent and some people even got to show how much we know about cosmetology.... That's way more than I ever bargained for when coming to the Disboards!

Hello, everyone... its me... "Norma"... Sorry about the little boys haircut... I was having a bad day. :coffee: Just in case anyone wants to know what I have been up to I got fired from Disney. And I now work as a stylist in the army. Buzz cuts all around.

LOL... sriously... I am very sorry to hear about your sons haircut and am very glad you called and complained!!! You have saved a lot of us from the same aweful experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter