Horrible Experience at Harmony Barber Shop

goofygal531

Always planning...
[this email was just sent to: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com]

On Wednesday, January 18th at approximately 1pm my husband and I took our 2 year old son to the Harmony Barber Shop in Magic Kingdom to get his haircut. I had his haircut there before on his first birthday and it was the best haircut he ever received and it was a very magical experience for our entire family. I purposely let my son's hair grow out several months prior to this vacation looking forward to another magical haircut. Unfortunately, it was anything but magical.

We waited patiently while Norma the stylist finished an older gentleman's haircut. (At the time my husband found it odd that she asked the other stylist for assistance. The other stylist had to show her how to hold the scissor and where to make the cut - why didn't I take this as a sign??)

When it was my son's turn, I instructed Norma how I like his hair cut - parted to the side with fringed layered bangs. She rudely handed me the scissors and asked if I'd like to cut it myself. I was speechless! I then instructed her that my son doesn't sit well - what 2 year old does? I told her we need all the bells and whistles - bubbles, stickers, spinning Mickey, etc.... She handed me a roll of stickers. I was beside myself. This was not what I waited a year for! These hairstylist are supposed to be amazing with children. Norma was far from it.

As my son is screaming in the seat my husband and I were debating just to forget the haircut when all of a sudden Norma takes a buzzer and runs it up the back of my son's head! Were we shocked in horror since no one has ever uses a buzzer him before. His head was red, he was screaming and we picked him up and threw $10 in the chair and left to go buy him a hat to wear for the remaining vacation. My son looked like a freak with half of his hair buzzed off. He's never had his hair so short and I'm very upset that she would do something like this to a two year old and not even discuss using the buzzer with us. My husband was upset because my son has very thick hair and normally has a very handsome haircut. No one has ever scalped him before.

Here's a picture of the back of my son's head. Thankfully we were the only family in the arcade at the time: (my husband doesn't want the picture posted online - sorry)

I hope you will monitor your stylist and see to it that something like this never happens to another child. I will continue to go to the Harmony Barber shop in the future, but not without the name of a reputable stylist.

Sincerely,
Goofy Gal
(of course I gave them my name)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I dont know what else to say than that! I would have been more than a little PO and she probably wouldnt have any hair left herself, after I was done with her!

That is awful!

Was it someone new?

WE've been several times and have never had a problem (and sadly--that includes a tinkling accident and a scary sudden onset of a virus). Treated well at all times.

I would be fuming as well if I were you and am glad you sent a letter.

Keep us posted what the response will be.

Wow, I can't imagine how horrible that would have been for you and tramatic for your young son. I hope they really take this email with a grain of salt and receive a good response. I can't believe you gave her $10 for this? They should at the very least refund you that money. WOW, i'm almost speachless.

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but, in my opinion, you handled it all wrong!

First, why did you just leave without complaining to a manager? I certainly wouldn't have left $10! Ok, I can understand wanting to just put an end to it and get out of there with a screaming 2 year old, however, I wouldn't just have left it at that. Did you make any complaint later to someone in authority? I'd go straight to the top with this one!

In this day and age everyone's so quick to sue for every little thing. However, I'd sue for this. If you have pictures that's good evidence. There's plenty of money-hungry lawyers out there who'd love to take on your case for a contigency--you don't pay unless you win. Go for it! I'd say Disney owes you big time for this. Also, how is "Nora" ever going to get fired without some sort of official complaint from you? Don't expect anything from Disney--they handle complaints by ignoring them in the hopes you'll go away. This goes way beyond a disatisfied customer--this is plain abuse!

I'd also write a letter describing your experiences to local Orlando newspapers and post on other travel boards, such as Allears.net, Frommers, try CondeNast ombudsman, try local (Orlando) tv stations, don't stop until you get satisfaction. Usually I do like you did--make it go away and get along with my vacation. However, NO ONE abuses my children, and that's what this is. You might even file a complaint with the Orange County dept. of child abuse, whatever its called. It is psychological abuse. Go for it, you need to make sure this type of crap doesn't happen again.

BTW, we had planned a trip to Disney this April and now can't make it. I'm reading more and more about bad experiences there with hotels, services, cm's, lack of cleanliness in the parks and restroooms, inadequate maintenance on the rides, etc. Makes me glad now not to be going. Who needs that crap? We've had magical trips in the past, let the memories stay untarnished. Also its simply too much money to risk on a lousey time.

Good luck in getting a resolution to this awful experience!

First of all, I'm not the type to sue and make a huge deal out of this. Yes, she was wrong and should be removed from that department but I'm not going to waste my time trying to sue Disney. I love Disney! Plus that takes too much energy. Energy I'd much rather spend planning another trip back to WDW!

My DH left the money just because. He's that type. I wouldn't have. We did tell EVERYONE around us what happened. The resort manager, Magic Kingdom cast members, etc....

Hey, it's not like my son is missing a limb, his hair will grow back.

I just want Norma out of the barber shop. She is not child friendly and has horrible manners.

I've spoken with many castmembers and they all said she'll just get relocated. Which is fine by me.

I'm just sharing my horrible experience with everyone to let you all know that not everyday at the Magic Kingdom is a magical one.

DO NOT GO TO THE BARBER SHOP WITHOUT A REPUTABLE NAME OF A STYLIST!!!!

vhoffman said:
Sorry you had such a bad experience, but, in my opinion, you handled it all wrong!

First, why did you just leave without complaining to a manager? I certainly wouldn't have left $10! Ok, I can understand wanting to just put an end to it and get out of there with a screaming 2 year old, however, I wouldn't just have left it at that. Did you make any complaint later to someone in authority? I'd go straight to the top with this one!
That's why I'm not sure if I can believe this story.

Might be worth reporting to the state cosmetology board as well. Not sure if it's possible without a last name but maybe you could forward them the same letter you sent guest communications.

Also, Michael is wonderful there. Gave both our sons their first haircuts. Boys are now 11 & 8 & have had a number of haicuts here but they only want Michael to do them so if he's not there we come back.

FWIW, I used to dread taking DS8 for haircuts. I understand the screaming, squirming, etc. Don't be discouraged if this makes it worse for a while. He will eventually grow out of that fear.

::MinnieMo

Oh.My.God.
I would have FREAKED out!
You handled it with call and patience- I hope you get a serious apology and compensation...

I think your letter is well written and verbalizes your concerns. I am not sure I would have been calm enough to handle it any differently, either, although I believe I would have went back later in the day to speak with a manager or someone about it.

I'm not sure what the correct resolution is, but I have to say I do not agree with any of the following:

vhoffman said:
However, I'd sue for this. If you have pictures that's good evidence. There's plenty of money-hungry lawyers out there who'd love to take on your case for a contigency--you don't pay unless you win. Go for it! I'd say Disney owes you big time for this... This goes way beyond a disatisfied customer--this is plain abuse!

You might even file a complaint with the Orange County dept. of child abuse, whatever its called. It is psychological abuse

I do not feel you were not treated poorly or anything, but I am glad to hear that you do not feel it is appropriate to clog the already strained justice and child protective systems with a customer service complaint. The resources are better served taking care of issues where people are actually suffering from harm.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this. I am so sorry for your little guy!

Where was the other stylist while this was happening? I for sure wouldn't have paid anything, but I would have talked to the other stylist and had a replacement haircut done after my child had calmed down, either that day or the next. Why would you just leave and not make another (good) stylist fix the mistake? :confused3

Yicks!

I can understand why people would question paying, but I am sure would handle it the exact same way. Personally, I would rather give 10 dollars and get out of there then continue to fight someone with my son in hand. Thank you for the heads up!

Is this the same child that has/had croup at the start of the trip? Perhaps the castmember was afraid of catching whatever it was the child had. I wouldn't have been thrilled, but I would have had the cut completed before leaving the shop. Besides raising a complaint so that others can be aware, what compensation would be required?

It is a well written letter but I think you should have said something the day it happened. I realize at the time you were upset but you should have gone to guest relations and made a complaint.

I don't see the need to sue as someone mentioned but I do hope that Disney does something for what happened.

kimmbagley said:
That's why I'm not sure if I can believe this story.

What's not to believe??

We were in shock she scalped my 2 year old son, there were only two stylist in the shop and no other customers. We ran out bought a hat and complained to our front desk at our resort. She gave me the email address to complain to. I was not going to ruin my vacation and spend the rest of the week tracking someone down to complain to. I knew the email addresss would be the best way to complain.

Sorry you can't believe it, but THIS did happen exactly the way I described. At the time of the incident, you have to realize I had a screaming 2 year old this vacation was all about him and his happiness!

I'm sorry for the poor treatment you received while there, but honestly speaking, why oh why do people put such pressure on themselves to get their child's haircut at DISNEY?

Of course kids aren't going to sit still when they know what's outside the door waiting for them, what did you expect of him at this age?

I don't mean to sound cruel and I'd be furious too if this happened to me, but knowing how my child would behave beforehand would have made me think twice about having it done there and risking ruining our time which you found out the hard way.

I hope this situation is resolved to you're satisfaction.

kidshop said:
Where was the other stylist while this was happening? I for sure wouldn't have paid anything, but I would have talked to the other stylist and had a replacement haircut done after my child had calmed down, either that day or the next. Why would you just leave and not make another (good) stylist fix the mistake? :confused3

The other stylist just watched this all take place. She actually had the nerve to hand me bubbles to calm my son down - last year the free stylist entertained my son while the other cut his hair.

I didn't want to pay for it, but my DH is just that type of person. He would not leave without giving them something. I was against it, but he just threw the money in the chair as we walked out.

We didn't want to go back to any other stylist because my son was really upset. He wouldn't walk near the shop the rest of the week - he's a bright kid and doesn't forget things.

However, we did have a salon at our resort and went there immediately after this happened. DS had fallen asleep on the bus so we thought it was a good time for someone to fix his hair while he was asleep. We explained everything to the people in the salon, the stylist was about to cut his hair and he woke up. DH figured the poor kid had enough so we left. He's getting his hair cut tomorrow at our regular kid salon. He sits well there since he can watch videos in a car while they cut his hair.

familyoffive said:
Is this the same child that has/had croup at the start of the trip? Perhaps the castmember was afraid of catching whatever it was the child had. I wouldn't have been thrilled, but I would have had the cut completed before leaving the shop. Besides raising a complaint so that others can be aware, what compensation would be required?

Yes and no, the croup was a false alarm he had a cold. By the time we got his haircut he was well.

I'm not out for any compensation, this was all just an FYI. I just don't feel the stylist had any manners or enjoyed working with children.

safetymom said:
It is a well written letter but I think you should have said something the day it happened. I realize at the time you were upset but you should have gone to guest relations and made a complaint.

I don't see the need to sue as someone mentioned but I do hope that Disney does something for what happened.

There was a very long line at Town Hall otherwise I would have filed a complaint immediately. I did make a complaint at my front desk and they instructed me to send the email.

Lorix2 said:
I'm sorry for the poor treatment you received while there, but honestly speaking, why oh why do people put such pressure on themselves to get their child's haircut at DISNEY?

Of course kids aren't going to sit still when they know what's outside the door waiting for them, what did you expect of him at this age?

I don't mean to sound cruel and I'd be furious too if this happened to me, but knowing how my child would behave beforehand would have made me think twice about having it done there and risking ruining our time which you found out the hard way.

I hope this situation is resolved to you're satisfaction.

We had his haircut there last year and it was a wonderful experience. Great cut and fun for the whole family. So we tried to repeat the experience.

My son DOES sit well when he's properly entertained. Here at home I specifically go to a kid's salon where they have videos for them to watch, sit in cars, tons of toys, bubbles, etc.... You pay for it ($28) but my son enjoys it and he gets a great haircut.

Last year they did the whole routine without me asking in WDW. They pulled out the bubbles, stickers, spinning mickey, etc... He sat like a prince.

This stylist had no interest in children. She did not want to entertain him and I'm sorry but that's part of the procedure when cutting a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter