Horrible Experience at Harmony Barber Shop

Stimpy said:
Not trying to start something...but we've had both kids and a nephew (most recent, end of May '06) with a first haricut and we have the ears to prove it. We also paid about $12. Maybe they were out of the ears when you went and they charged accordingly for the haircut experience.

When my DS had his haircut a few years back, he got the last pair of Mickey ears for the day. That was around noon-ish? The children waiting after us did not get ears.

That's quite possible. We were there around 3:00pm.

Anne

Any one have any advice for us we are taking our twins fo rtheir first haircut...they are four and have never had one can you belive it they want to wait to have it at the MK..what time is good and sounds like I shoudl avoid having norma i have no problem waiting for someone else...thanks...

vhoffman said:
Sorry you had such a bad experience, but, in my opinion, you handled it all wrong!

First, why did you just leave without complaining to a manager? I certainly wouldn't have left $10! Ok, I can understand wanting to just put an end to it and get out of there with a screaming 2 year old, however, I wouldn't just have left it at that. Did you make any complaint later to someone in authority? I'd go straight to the top with this one!

In this day and age everyone's so quick to sue for every little thing. However, I'd sue for this. If you have pictures that's good evidence. There's plenty of money-hungry lawyers out there who'd love to take on your case for a contigency--you don't pay unless you win. Go for it! I'd say Disney owes you big time for this. Also, how is "Nora" ever going to get fired without some sort of official complaint from you? Don't expect anything from Disney--they handle complaints by ignoring them in the hopes you'll go away. This goes way beyond a disatisfied customer--this is plain abuse!

I'd also write a letter describing your experiences to local Orlando newspapers and post on other travel boards, such as Allears.net, Frommers, try CondeNast ombudsman, try local (Orlando) tv stations, don't stop until you get satisfaction. Usually I do like you did--make it go away and get along with my vacation. However, NO ONE abuses my children, and that's what this is. You might even file a complaint with the Orange County dept. of child abuse, whatever its called. It is psychological abuse. Go for it, you need to make sure this type of crap doesn't happen again.

BTW, we had planned a trip to Disney this April and now can't make it. I'm reading more and more about bad experiences there with hotels, services, cm's, lack of cleanliness in the parks and restroooms, inadequate maintenance on the rides, etc. Makes me glad now not to be going. Who needs that crap? We've had magical trips in the past, let the memories stay untarnished. Also its simply too much money to risk on a lousey time.

Good luck in getting a resolution to this awful experience!

Wow...just......wow.....

Suit??????? And we wonder why our court system is bogged down...

mmaddog56

Lisa loves Pooh said:
This is incorrect.

First haircuts are more than $9...more like in the $12-$15 range (I forget exactly) and for the FIRST Hair cut you get:

My first haircut Mickey Ears
Certificate
Silly picture (you take--but they do the big scissors gag--I think they will do this for anybody, this is just our experience as well as my friend who is a former CM)
And a keepsake lock of their hair

My friend has had this for both of her children--her other friend whom they went to Disney with last December had it done for her child and I had it done for both of my child.

You defnitely keep the ears.

If you do not designate that it is their first haircut--then there is no ears.

I think the harmony barber shop had a few things that they did often for kids, so people thought it was the norm. Then they got a couple of articles written up stating they do this, this and this and now everyone has come to expect it.

We have been there twice and each time a very different experience. My son's first hair cut he had the ?spanish lady, she was very nice and did a great job! The quartet came in and sang (coincidence) and she had some stickers she handed to me to put on him while she cut. The light spinner I had seen her use while we were waiting (a good two hours) so it was on the counter if I wanted to grab it. Never once did the big scissors or cute mickey cover come out. She gave him ears (to keep) and a certificate along with keeping every piece of his hair!

The second time we had Michael, there was a former cast member in line behind us waiting for him and he entertained my son much more then Michael even once thought about it. But we didn't go there for entertainment, just the atmosphere. There was no light spinner, I think he did hand me stickers again, but not like the first time and there was a deck of cards, they had just gotten in boxes of them and the guy in line was playing 52 card pick up with my son. At the end I gathered them all and cleaned them off (they hit the floor quite often) and handed them back. He said, oh keep them and enjoy! They tried to give us mickey ears and a certificate again, of course they cut a good 9 inches off so thought it was his first haircut.

No singing, no big scissors, nothing fancy but lots of fun just in the old style barbershop. My personal opinion is that it has gotten this image that they aren't really taught to do and that magazines have written up, not necessarily disney's doing. We enjoy going but have waited well over 2 hours each time.

And don't be fooled by the people in front of you, the second time the entire time there were hardly any, then right before it was the lady in fronts turn she called her 5 kids in their walkie talkies to return! Yes, 5 of them! That threw us for a loop, but oh well!

I have always been satisfied with the cuts, although I do not think it is a salon. I think of it more like a fantastic sams, etc (cheap cut places). There are no sinks or anything to wash your hair first so in my opinion how good a job could really be done.

My son has had 3 cuts, 2 at disney and one at a kiddie place. The kiddie place was absolutely horrible, but it grew back and I didn't really care, it was right before christmas so his hair looked strange in pictures, but all kids will have a bad hair cut at some point in life!

Go and have fun, but don't go expecting this or that!

ducklite said:
Just to clarify a few things...

You do pay for a first haircut. They are not free, although I think they are half price (about $9 plus tip.)

The "First Haircut Ears" are not something you are given to keep, they have a set they put on your child's head after the haircut so you can take a photo, but you can't leave with them.

Hope that clarifies.

BTW--Penny and Michal are both WONDERFUL barbers, and I wouldn't hestitate to have either of them cut your child's hair. My son is 20, and Michal has been cutting his hair for it's got to be 15 years now. He's gone to other people, but he'd rather go to Michal or Penny. In fact two weeks ago he tagged along to WDW for the day with DH and I for the sole purpose of getting a haircut.

Anne

free haircuts- I had just picked up a Disney for Dummies book and it had mentioned that first haircuts were free, so I was just wondering...Hey, gotta wonder about anything "free" in Disney :rolleyes: I havent been to Disney since I was a kid and this will be my 5yr olds first trip there. I'm just glad the pirate pirate: ride is gonna be open when we are there the end of july. I thought the haircut would be another neat thing to do. he's got long curly hair, which he loves but is tired of other kids insisting that he's a girl (its a shame, hes got prettier hair than most of the little girls around). plus he starts school in the fall and kids can be mean.

We paid $14 on November 30th, 2005 for a first haircut. Included were "My First Haircut" ears (which were ours to keep), cuttings mixed with pixie dust and wrapped up in a nice little package, a cute certificate, and lots and lots of stickers from Michal which made ds very easy to work with. Never even noticed he was getting his hair cut. We left a big tip! :wizard:

what is the age limit for the first haircut?? My tiwns are four and never had a haircut...anyone know....

is there an age limit? how can they put an age limit on your first haircut? i met a little girl that was 8 and never had her hair cut

While I do think you should recv an appology and compensate you the $10 back.. and perhaps a free haircut in future.. to show you that they are not all that bad. I dont think you should recv any more than that.. I cant believe someone even mentioned a lawsuit.. Just not sure why you didnt even mention it to a manager or anything at the time.. I can understand wanting to get your child out of there, but to not complain to anyone at the time :confused3 ..

mandysbus said:
is there an age limit? how can they put an age limit on your first haircut? i met a little girl that was 8 and never had her hair cut
My niece is 6 and never had her haircut. I am guessing there probably is no age limit on first haircuts, especially for girls...but that is an interesting question. Anyone going to WDW soon that can find out for us if there is an age limit???

kritter said:
what is the age limit for the first haircut?? My tiwns are four and never had a haircut...anyone know....

I don't think they would have an age limit. Although I would think that if the bangs were cut then they would consider that a haircut. The free first haircuts hat are toddler size, not sure if all of them are but I would think so. They have the strap to stay on the little kids.

jessica52877 said:
I don't think they would have an age limit. Although I would think that if the bangs were cut then they would consider that a haircut. The free first haircuts hat are toddler size, not sure if all of them are but I would think so. They have the strap to stay on the little kids.

Not sure of the size, since DH wore the baby's to the airport. :rotfl2:

jessica52877 said:
No singing, no big scissors, nothing fancy but lots of fun just in the old style barbershop. My personal opinion is that it has gotten this image that they aren't really taught to do and that magazines have written up, not necessarily disney's doing. We enjoy going but have waited well over 2 hours each time.

The only article I have seen was in a Disney publication--so it was indeed Disney's doing.

I've never had the singing. The barbershop quartet just wanders around performing wherever. We were in one day while one was getting a haircut. He didn't sing, but probably b/c he wasn't *working* at the time.

I disagree that you should not go there with expectations. Why the heck else would they plop a place to get your haircut in the middle (or in the case the beginning) of the park? Who in their right mind would waste TWO HOURS of a park day waiting for a trim if they expected just a Fantastic Sam's experience.

Also--I noted way earlier in a thread that this was NOT a salon.

As far as the light spinners...perhaps the batteries finally died so they put them away.

so the first haricut is free but no ears etc.. with that is that correct..and I need to specifiy that I am there for the free haircut?????

We had to pay for our first cut but did get the mickey ears, so can't help out there.

I have read articles in non disney publications, but you are right, I did read it in disney magazine once about the haircut place. I don't remember the details of course now but do remember the picture.

We wait because my son enjoys it and anything he wants to do we do. We ride what used to be the wedway peoplemover (can't think of the real name now) several times each trip there. He usually chooses which rides we do and to see his face makes it all worthwhile.

DD was almost 7 when she had her first haircut there 12/2004.

She got the certificate, ears, etc. - and yes, we paid.

The ears are toddler size, but are very special to her anyway.

Since the cut was really only a trim, they also did a fancy ponytail that was teased and had glitter and a candy cane in it. I may be wrong, but I think they normally charge more for that. DD got comments all day about her fancy hair.

It was a great experience.

We only had to wait for them to finish the little boy before us, but as we left there was quite a line waiting.

ETA: Billie cut DD's, and Maura cut mine.

angel's momma said:
DD was almost 7 when she had her first haircut there 12/2004.

She got the certificate, ears, etc. - and yes, we paid.

The ears are toddler size, but are very special to her anyway.

Since the cut was really only a trim, they also did a fancy ponytail that was teased and had glitter and a candy cane in it. I may be wrong, but I think they normally charge more for that. DD got comments all day about her fancy hair.

It was a great experience.

We only had to wait for them to finish the little boy before us, but as we left there was quite a line waiting.

ETA: Billie cut DD's, and Maura cut mine.

what time of day did you go in the am?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter