HHI LOVERS THREAD

I have two 2021 trips planned, 5 nights each, at AKL. One is in a value studio, and one in a 2 bedroom.

If I drop a night in the studio, and drop to a one bedroom on the other trip, I have enough points to go to HHI in a studio in July for three nights. I’m about five hours away.

How hard is it to get HHI in July at the seven month mark? Is three nights worth the five hour trip?
It is totally worth it - three nights of relaxation and it is a small resort so you will feel at home right away! We got lucky and got to stay there this September but I have heard it is really hard to get at 7 months. I might be wrong but I think you can waitlist without dropping your other room and then if it comes through they will drop it for you. Just ask member service what you can do and they will help. Or just keep checking for availability. To me it would be worth it even if you had to borrow some points! Caution - being only 5 hours away once you visit you may want to own there and dues are pricey!

I was able to secure a full week over spring break/Easter (end of March) at the 7mo mark. I think it was the last studio, and I was surprised I got the full week. Did I just get lucky or is end of March/Easter considers dvc off peak season for HHI?

We are considering dropping the trip though. We dont know what we are doing next year— everything is in flux bc of the whole pandemic. We just thought HHI might with since it’s kind of driving distance (12hrs) in case we aren’t comfortable flying... but we have never been to HHI (bought out dvc to do disney). Ppl seem to LOVE the resort, so I’m hoping we do too, if we go?

We just got back from HHI. We rented a villa for two weeks this time around. We found no issues with mask wearing. We were completely comfortable our entire stay. We shopped at Publix (just personal preference) and everyone was following the rules.

We ate at the following places and found all the rules enforced:
Skull Creek Boathouse
The French Bakery
Tio's Mexican
Harbourtown Bakery
Java Burrito
Midici (takeout)
Hilton Head Icecream (takeout)
Mellow Mushroom (takeout)
We also found no issues either with mask wearing at HHI in August. Kroger had a notice posted, all were cooperating.
Masks are required inside stores and restaurants. When it has been said that across the bridge, OUTSIDE walking when one can clearly socially distance, that is correct. That is pretty much the same all over, including Orange County, with the exception of being on Disney property..
Even in NYC Governor Cuomo has stated that, mask wearing outside is required ONLY IF you cannot socially distance properly. Walking at the harbour over the bridge from the resort, certainly end of August, once kids were back in school, we found was pretty dead. Why would one wear a mask walking outside when you can properly socially distance? :scratchin :confused3As soon as folks were off Disney property, masks were removed while walking or jogging outside. Power walking or jogging, it is not recommended to wear a mask outside.

We are considering dropping the trip though. We dont know what we are doing next year— everything is in flux bc of the whole pandemic. We just thought HHI might with since it’s kind of driving distance (12hrs) in case we aren’t comfortable flying... but we have never been to HHI (bought out dvc to do disney). Ppl seem to LOVE the resort, so I’m hoping we do too, if we go?
HHI is a great spot to vacation--we love it there. However, it's a totally different vacation than going to WDW: no rides, no way-in-advance dining reservations, no waiting in lines for rides, no huge masses of people, and the friendliest CMs anywhere. HHI is a place to relax, catch the ocean breezes, find your own favorite seafood joints, bike, sit in Adirondack chairs as you watch the sun set, and simply unwind. If that sounds appealing, then by all means, keep the reservation.

I was able to secure a full week over spring break/Easter (end of March) at the 7mo mark. I think it was the last studio, and I was surprised I got the full week. Did I just get lucky or is end of March/Easter considers dvc off peak season for HHI?

Yes I would say March may be off season as there is no guarantee on weather - having said that we have been to Hilton Head in March and it was perfect and lovely - even warm enough for beach and pool during the day and got a little chilly at night. We chose HHI this September because we could drive - about 11 hours - and it was a great choice- oh and the pool was almost hot so it will feel good in March regardless of temps. Plus there is a pool by the beach so if the beach got chilly just go jump in the pool!

HHI is a great spot to vacation--we love it there. However, it's a totally different vacation than going to WDW: no rides, no way-in-advance dining reservations, no waiting in lines for rides, no huge masses of people, and the friendliest CMs anywhere. HHI is a place to relax, catch the ocean breezes, find your own favorite seafood joints, bike, sit in Adirondack chairs as you watch the sun set, and simply unwind. If that sounds appealing, then by all means, keep the reservation.

Perfect description! DH would add golf, golf, golf but I don't golf and I love it there. Do all the things you mentioned. We bring our binoculars, go to the adirondack chairs by buildings #30 and #31, and we could sit for hours, watching the boats, birds, etc. And once or twice over the years, we've seen dolphins from there.

Perfect description! DH would add golf, golf, golf but I don't golf and I love it there. Do all the things you mentioned. We bring our binoculars, go to the adirondack chairs by buildings #30 and #31, and we could sit for hours, watching the boats, birds, etc. And once or twice over the years, we've seen dolphins from there.
Yes, the golf! I do golf, though don't usually do much of that while at HHI; however, there are many public courses, and if someone is so inclined to do mini-golf, that's an activity many enjoy.

Has anyone done the motorized kayak fishing tours? When my whole family goes along, the guys do a fishing charter. This trip will just be my DH and me. He's not paying hundreds of dollars to do a fishing excursion by himself. The last time we were there, we noticed the motorized kayaks. The website says they go up to 17 mph, so they get you out into Broad Creek pretty fast where the fishing is good. My two DSs insist they sound dangerous. Anyone have any experience? I don't want to send my DH out on a dangerous mission!

Beautiful weather here this morning. Humid, but cloudy with a breeze. Looks like today will be the calm before the storm. Planning on doing all our must-do activities today, in the event we are stuck inside the rest of the week due to rain.

Disney non-DVC single day bike rates: $27 regular bike, $30 tandem, $40 trike. Cost us $130 for one day for a family of four (3 regular bikes and 1 trike).

We practiced with the tandem, but wanted more views than the back of the person in front! Opted for the trike, whose stability is making for a relaxed ride and worth the extra cost.

Disney non-DVC single day bike rates: $27 regular bike, $30 tandem, $40 trike. Cost us $130 for one day for a family of four (3 regular bikes and 1 trike).

We practiced with the tandem, but wanted more views than the back of the person in front! Opted for the trike, whose stability is making for a relaxed ride and worth the extra cost.
How much extra effort for the trike? Difficult to say I am sure, but you say they let you practice. I would love to practice on the trike.

How much extra effort for the trike? Difficult to say I am sure, but you say they let you practice. I would love to practice on the trike.
Yes, the trike is a slower, heavier type of ride. It depends if you are looking for a lighter ride (regular bike), or if you need more stability (trike).

For me, I didn’t want to have to keep tipping the bike to the side and put my feet down every time I stopped at a crossing or let someone pass. With the trike, I just stopped pedaling, waited, and started up again. However, any upward slope will require extra leg effort or you can hop off and push (be careful to stand clear of the wider back wheels). You can practice a little out front of the rentals, but it’s hard to truly tell until you are on the trails and doing multiple runs.

Yes, the trike is a slower, heavier type of ride. It depends if you are looking for a lighter ride (regular bike), or if you need more stability (trike).

For me, I didn’t want to have to keep tipping the bike to the side and put my feet down every time I stopped at a crossing or let someone pass. With the trike, I just stopped pedaling, waited, and started up again. However, any upward slope will require extra leg effort or you can hop off and push (be careful to stand clear of the wider back wheels). You can practice a little out front of the rentals, but it’s hard to truly tell until you are on the trails and doing multiple runs.
Thank you very much!

The stability on the trike is super. The biggest problem I have is that the trikes at DHHIR have coaster brakes, versus the one I have at home, which has a hand brake so you can "freewheel" backwards. So if the pedals aren't in the correct position for you to start (hey, it happens!) that can be inconvenient. Also, the bikes get well-used so the one I had last year had the threads to hold the seat at the right height stripped. So I'd be riding along and suddenly the seat would lower. But overall it's lots of fun to use the adult tricycle.

The stability on the trike is super. The biggest problem I have is that the trikes at DHHIR have coaster brakes, versus the one I have at home, which has a hand brake so you can "freewheel" backwards. So if the pedals aren't in the correct position for you to start (hey, it happens!) that can be inconvenient. Also, the bikes get well-used so the one I had last year had the threads to hold the seat at the right height stripped. So I'd be riding along and suddenly the seat would lower. But overall it's lots of fun to use the adult tricycle.
This is so good to know. I definitely will be trying none!

Good afternoon All! New to this thread, but have been an on again/off again member at the VWL thread for years (Hi Bobbiwoz)! We are making our first trip to HH in October for 10 days, and having never been there, I spoke with the front desk about a room preference request. We're doing a 1 bedroom, and she said to do building 11 or 12 - top floor, so that is what I requested. Any feedback on those buildings (views/noise etc) since we've never been there? I know that they are right at the main building, but didn't see an issue with that. We are really looking forward to the trip - it's just been a heck of a year for us. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Good afternoon All! New to this thread, but have been an on again/off again member at the VWL thread for years (Hi Bobbiwoz)! We are making our first trip to HH in October for 10 days, and having never been there, I spoke with the front desk about a room preference request. We're doing a 1 bedroom, and she said to do building 11 or 12 - top floor, so that is what I requested. Any feedback on those buildings (views/noise etc) since we've never been there? I know that they are right at the main building, but didn't see an issue with that. We are really looking forward to the trip - it's just been a heck of a year for us. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

We go every November, and get a 1 BR. Those are our requests. Last year we had second floor in the main building (the main building has 3 floors) and it was VERY loud with footsteps above. Make sure you request top floor, not just second floor. Villa #1138, IMO, has a great view, but it faces east, so if you like morning coffee on the porch, it's hot and the sun reflects off the water so it's got lots of glare.

We go every November, and get a 1 BR. Those are our requests. Last year we had second floor in the main building (the main building has 3 floors) and it was VERY loud with footsteps above. Make sure you request top floor, not just second floor. Villa #1138, IMO, has a great view, but it faces east, so if you like morning coffee on the porch, it's hot and the sun reflects off the water so it's got lots of glare.
Yes, and if I remember correctly, the top floor balconies of the studios in Building 11 are not completely covered. My #1 request is always top floor. My #2 is Building 12. Those balconies are completely covered and get lots of shade. Bad thing about the shade is it blocks a lot of the view of the marsh, but to me the trees are just as beautiful as the marsh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter