HHI LOVERS THREAD

Yes, and if I remember correctly, the top floor balconies of the studios in Building 11 are not completely covered. My #1 request is always top floor. My #2 is Building 12. Those balconies are completely covered and get lots of shade. Bad thing about the shade is it blocks a lot of the view of the marsh, but to me the trees are just as beautiful as the marsh.
I just saw your countdown ticker - our first trip to HHI - and I retired this June! How coincidental! We're going from 10/15-10/26, and are really looking forward to our first time there!

I just saw your countdown ticker - our first trip to HHI - and I retired this June! How coincidental! We're going from 10/15-10/26, and are really looking forward to our first time there!
How cool! We will be there the first week of October. It's not our first trip. We've been going every year for several years now. It's just this is my first trip since I retired. You will love it! It's my favorite place on earth!!! We actually enjoy our HHI trips more than our WDW trips. You've got a nice long trip planned, lots of time to relax! Enjoy!!!

I thought there was some mandate on Hilton Head that masks were required. But is that only inside businesses, like stores? We're going in November, and it will definitely be too cool to eat outside.
my family has a vacation home on HHI and yes, there is a mask mandate. The locals do wear masks, but there are sadly tourists who come from all over and don't respect the laws there. We have spent a lot of time on the island this spring and summer and during the peak of the season, we did not eat in restaurants there. Labor day weekend we did eat outdoors at one and found it was fine. Now that most of the tourists are gone I suspect that things will get better down there with compliance. Please do obey the masking laws if you visit HHI. It is a lovely place and there are many older folks who call it home.

Per person non-DVC prices for some crafts:

$8
Creativity ROCKS!
Memory Jars

$15
Jellyfish Windchimes
Character Canvas Painting

$19
Mickey Tie Dye
Vacation Pillows

$30
Mickey Wreaths

my family has a vacation home on HHI and yes, there is a mask mandate. The locals do wear masks, but there are sadly tourists who come from all over and don't respect the laws there. We have spent a lot of time on the island this spring and summer and during the peak of the season, we did not eat in restaurants there. Labor day weekend we did eat outdoors at one and found it was fine. Now that most of the tourists are gone I suspect that things will get better down there with compliance. Please do obey the masking laws if you visit HHI. It is a lovely place and there are many older folks who call it home.
While I've no doubt that tourists may tax the system in many ways, implying that only tourists ignore the mandate is a bit short-sighted. We visited twice this year: once before the mandate and once after, and each time locals didn't seem to be in compliance any better than tourists. In fact, before the mandate and at a time before tourists began to increase their numbers, we often saw locals crowding the bar scenes, grocery stores, at work, and in restaurants without masks. In fact, until the mandate, many restaurants didn't require their servers to wear masks, such as Scott's, San Miguel's, Skull Creek, et. al. While the sheer numbers may have been a bit worse due to tourists, it's an oversimplification to suggest tourists were the primary ones who didn't "respect the laws there."

I’m sure these have probably been mentioned, but I’ll recap for anyone who may be traveling soon. These were the biggest changes for us:

-No refillable drinks. If you buy a reusable mug, they will fill it with dole whip or ice cream one time.

-No Shadow. She is on a ‘fishing trip’, which I can only assume will last as long as COVID is around.

-No activities in the den. You can sit and relax, but no playing pool, chess, or photo booth.

-No outdoor mini golf, chess, or shuffleboard. You can still play corn hole or bocce ball upon request.

-No waiting for food or eating on the top deck. Chairs upstairs have been removed and tables were added downstairs over the shuffleboard area.

Thankfully, none of these were deal breakers and we had a great time. We also never had issues with pool capacity. Checking out today!

Also, I should probably mention that if there are any calendar activities you want to do, you should reserve sooner than later. Due to social distancing, some activities filled up faster than others (tie dye and character paintings were popular).

For example, we didn’t get to do any nature walks. We didn’t realize they are taking one family at a time. They did have some non-advertised time slots, but it didn’t work out for us this time around. Just know to plan accordingly!

When did they stop the photo booth? When we were there last month it was there and working

I was able to secure a full week over spring break/Easter (end of March) at the 7mo mark. I think it was the last studio, and I was surprised I got the full week. Did I just get lucky or is end of March/Easter considers dvc off peak season for HHI?

We are considering dropping the trip though. We dont know what we are doing next year— everything is in flux bc of the whole pandemic. We just thought HHI might with since it’s kind of driving distance (12hrs) in case we aren’t comfortable flying... but we have never been to HHI (bought out dvc to do disney). Ppl seem to LOVE the resort, so I’m hoping we do too, if we go?

we are also going for spring break at the end of March - but we've also secured reservations at the 7 month mark for August - sometimes you just get lucky. I have never seen a true "off season" at this resort. Yes it will be cooler than summer, and cooler at nights but that's not a bad thing. Average temp is 70 - and the pools are heated to 80 degrees so I'll take it!
And maybe by then we will be able to do the campfires again - that would be lovely at night.

-No outdoor mini golf, chess, or shuffleboard. You can still play corn hole or bocce ball upon request.

I'm kind of surprised about the mini golf...
Is the shuffleboard down because they've moved the tables down to that area?

we are also going for spring break at the end of March - but we've also secured reservations at the 7 month mark for August - sometimes you just get lucky. I have never seen a true "off season" at this resort. Yes it will be cooler than summer, and cooler at nights but that's not a bad thing. Average temp is 70 - and the pools are heated to 80 degrees so I'll take it!
And maybe by then we will be able to do the campfires again - that would be lovely at night.

I'm kind of surprised about the mini golf...
Is the shuffleboard down because they've moved the tables down to that area?
I was surprised about the mini golf, too. I didn’t understand the difference between wiping down a bocce ball versus the handle of a golf club. Unless the staff at the desk was mistaken when we asked.

Yes, all the tables are placed over the shuffleboard. Same at the beach house—chairs were placed over the kids splash area on the deck, so that was off limits, too.

While I've no doubt that tourists may tax the system in many ways, implying that only tourists ignore the mandate is a bit short-sighted. We visited twice this year: once before the mandate and once after, and each time locals didn't seem to be in compliance any better than tourists. In fact, before the mandate and at a time before tourists began to increase their numbers, we often saw locals crowding the bar scenes, grocery stores, at work, and in restaurants without masks. In fact, until the mandate, many restaurants didn't require their servers to wear masks, such as Scott's, San Miguel's, Skull Creek, et. al. While the sheer numbers may have been a bit worse due to tourists, it's an oversimplification to suggest tourists were the primary ones who didn't "respect the laws there."

Plus, I suspect the golfer's comments during the Heritage Classic, that it was wild on the Island when you left the golf course didn't put Hilton Head Island in a very good light. I noted that it was shortly after that that the Town Fathers instituted the mask mandate. The comments by golfers didn't paint the Island in a very good light.

Hi all, wondering if you all, who are so familiar with the area around the DVC HHI resort can help with a question...

We have Wyndham points which exchange via RCI. We stayed at the DVC HHI resort many years ago. We loved the resort, its location and the marsh views from many of the rooms. Getting an exchange into this resort via RCI is a longshot. We'd like to stay in that area around the last week of March 2021.

In the Shelter Cove Harbour area, there are a couple Marriott timeshares (Harbour Point & Sunset Point) and Harbourside III, which all trade only via II, not RCI.

Do you know if there are any other RCI timeshares located in the Shelter Cove area overlooking the marsh of Broad Creek? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
Okay, reading this thread about HHI has made me realize that this is likely exactly the kind of place we would love to go when we're not at Disney. DH and I are huge nature lovers, and our second favorite destination(s) after Disney are the National Parks. All the photos and talks of bike rides, bird watching, the marsh, hiking trails, etc. have made me fall in love sight-unseen. So, we've been discussing trying (if it's safe) to go for a long weekend in April or May next year to see what we think.

But call me crazy, after reading how hard it can be to book there, I happened to see a 50-point HHI contract in our UY, and thought "well, that's not a lot of money, we get 11-month priority, and if we can always use it for SAP points if needed." Yup, it means we decided to put in an offer. It was accepted, and should be going to ROFR on Monday...

Okay, reading this thread about HHI has made me realize that this is likely exactly the kind of place we would love to go when we're not at Disney. DH and I are huge nature lovers, and our second favorite destination(s) after Disney are the National Parks. All the photos and talks of bike rides, bird watching, the marsh, hiking trails, etc. have made me fall in love sight-unseen. So, we've been discussing trying (if it's safe) to go for a long weekend in April or May next year to see what we think.

Sounds like you're describing DH's and my loves also. When we go to HHI, we both bring our binoculars. One of our very favorite things to do is DH and I go golfing-well, he golfs-I ride in the cart with binoculars and a bird book. All the golf courses are Audubon certified, so are great for birding.

Sounds like you're describing DH's and my loves also. When we go to HHI, we both bring our binoculars. One of our very favorite things to do is DH and I go golfing-well, he golfs-I ride in the cart with binoculars and a bird book. All the golf courses are Audubon certified, so are great for birding.
This is very good to know! Neither of us golf, but my dad does, and I've long thought about taking him to HHI for a trip. We just never made it there yet. But VWL/CCV are our Disney first loves and we own there, and HHI sounds like we would love it. It's also a long drive, but IS doable in a day if we really wanted to, and so could become a reason to drive to Disney and stop there and back along the way. And if we decide Disney is out, maybe we'll do a week there since we could drive to it in a day...

Hello all! We are planning our first HHI trip for the first week of November. Does anyone have recommendations for a day spa/massage place, as well as a charter fishing/boat tour company? Looking forward to a laid back week!

Hey all. Anyone know if we can hang lights on our balcony? We will be at HH for New Years and was hoping to decorate a little.

Well, DH is having some health issues a week before we leave. I know the Disney resort will be safe, but I'm not sure I want to chance having to go to the hospital while there. It looks like we may be cancelling. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter