• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now...nasty cm??? What the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see zero wrong with reporting bad employee behavior and I don't understand why people are upset about this, assuming the CM was rude as reported, and assuming @mmouse1239 is a reasonable person, as it seems.

During the course of our trips my family makes mental notes of great CMs - I'll jot down in my phone the name, location, and nature of interaction. When we get home I don't wait for a survey but send an email to customer service pointing out these particularly outstanding folks. I can't remember the last time I had to call out a bad one, but if it was warranted, I absolutely would. @TiffanyA said it perfectly: "If this is a habit (a lot of reports), it would benefit all involved, including the CM, to be re-trained, or transferred to another job they are better suited to."

Disney would want to know. Maybe the CM doesn't realize her behavior is not acceptable and some coaching will help her. And future guests wouldn't be exposed to bad CM behavior.

just experienced my first nasty CM in 30 years of visits to WDW. We were entering Epcot, but wanted to take a quick monorail ride to the GF to see the Christmas decor. She was taking.theough some microphone, but her words were garbled. I walked over and asked her if I needed to have my bag checked to get on the monorail. Her response was “Did you not hear what I just said?”. I don’t expect this from Disney. When I get back there in a short while, I’m getting her name to include it on the guest survey. I spend too much $ to come here and be treated that way.
Definitely needs to be reported! That is not typical CM behavior luckily

I see zero wrong with reporting bad employee behavior and I don't understand why people are upset about this, assuming the CM was rude as reported, and assuming @mmouse1239 is a reasonable person, as it seems.

During the course of our trips my family makes mental notes of great CMs - I'll jot down in my phone the name, location, and nature of interaction. When we get home I don't wait for a survey but send an email to customer service pointing out these particularly outstanding folks. I can't remember the last time I had to call out a bad one, but if it was warranted, I absolutely would. @TiffanyA said it perfectly: "If this is a habit (a lot of reports), it would benefit all involved, including the CM, to be re-trained, or transferred to another job they are better suited to."

Disney would want to know. Maybe the CM doesn't realize her behavior is not acceptable and some coaching will help her. And future guests wouldn't be exposed to bad CM behavior.
This is very sensible, and many businesses welcome complaints because it helps them identify problems and make the necessary changes to keep customers happy. Unfortunately, it seems that if you post about a negative experience here, someone will come along shortly to explain that either (1) you did not actually have a negative experience, or (2) you did have a negative experience but it was your fault because you did something wrong, had unreasonably high expectations, or failed to do enough research. I've seen this applied to everything from rude CMs to transportation breakdowns to unsupervised children handling food at buffets.

In our previous trips we have only had one rude CM and I did not "officially" report her. On our 1st trip the CM who worked at BBB on my daughter was incredible. A few hours later I learned from a waitress you could write up or commend good people (had no idea) so I went to Town Hall to do so. While there I was talking with the CM about my daughters great experience and she was saying they got more complaints than compliments. I mentioned that the hostess at Tony's had been incredibly nasty to us when seating us. She showed us to a booth and I had to ask for a table. One of my daughters great aunts had mobility issues and could not manage a booth. The hostess rolled her eyes and said Well You Will Have To Wait in an overdramatic tone. This in a 2/3's empty restaurant. They asked me if I wanted to report it and I said no maybe she was just having a bad day. As I was leaving I heard her tell 3 other girls Meredith got another one but he didn't want to report it. So I am guessing when a CM is rude a lot of people just let it pass.

I think you're right, but only because it seems likely most people can't be bothered to make the effort to either compliment or complain.

However, the CMs you talked to did say "they got more complaints than compliments". And they apparently knew who you were talking about at Tony's, since they mentioned a name. Which means enough people weren't willing to let her attitude pass that she's managed to get herself something of a reputation.

If the vast majority of CM interactions are wonderful, but the Town Hall gets more complaints than compliments, that means that when a CM is nice even more people let it pass, than would let it pass if they weren't nice.

I think, when a CM is rude, people are probably much more likely to report her, then they are to make the effort to send in a compliment when a CM is delightful. While people as a whole may be disinclined to say anything, people are always more motivated to complain, than to compliment.

I've been going to Disney for years and I really only had one bad CM. It was taking a photo at Gaston's statue, me and my girlfriend had a pose in mind and my girlfriend did not want to flex and the CM kept insisting and would not take the picture unless she flexed. I got tired of the back and forth calmly and just said "we'll just take our own picture elsewhere" and began to walk away when the CM said "someone has anger issues". I still to this day wish I would have reported her, but I didn't let it sour my night or my attitude toward Disney. However if a situation similar to what OP happened I probably would have definitely said something.

Was it at DHS? Because I think that's part of the shtick at the diner. If you didn't know it was coming, it would be quite disturbing.

That would be a little over the top even for Prime Time. They wouldn't talk about their rent and such. The will make you eat your vegetables and shame you in front of the whole restaurant if you don't.

You make a great point, unfortunately a lot of people won't go out of their way to give positive feedback for great service as it's generally just expected. I always make it my mission to contact customer service for outstanding CM encounters, especially since Disney does a great job of acknowledging those employees who receive compliments.
We always tweet out a great CM! Rarely have complaints, thankfully!

First OP I am sorry for your loss of your husband.

This is one of those threads everyone needs to remember we are hearing one side of the story. Yes, it sounds like CM had bad day- was CM to blame or was it microphone having issues? Was OP fully listening to what CM had said?

Yes CM could have been more polite and just responded to OPs question IF in fact the CM actually said what OP says they did. Remember this is only OP side.

Was OP at partly at fault , probably. OP made 2 somewhat snarky comments about how she doesn’t need to be treated that way because of all the money she’s spent and about the “police” uniform CM was wearing. I’m sure OP probably didn’t use nicest tone.

We are all human and have good and bad days. We all take attitudes at times and say things in tones we shouldn’t. Just as OP mentioned the loss of her husband- nobody here knows what that CM is going through. Could they just have been verbally abused by a guest, treated rudely or been frustrated because microphone not working. Although not excuses something to think about.

People here think Disney is perfect and pixie dust. People expect everything to go their way and have everyone at their beck and call. Disney is a real place that has real people and they make mistakes.

Yes, in some instances CMs should be reported for actions. In this case doesn’t seem so- it seems at times people complain to get things.

It is amazing how people have an experience and immediately jump on disboards and post, read comments, post then get mad when people don’t agree with them or they don’t like what they read.

This isn’t all directed at OP- general observations made in daily posts.

OP put behind you, enjoy your trip. Forget about this minuscule event in your trip that lasted seconds and move forward. Once again sorry for your loss.

I wonder...

How many people officially complain about the one in 30 years rude Cast Member vs. officially commend the one in each trip who really stands out?

I'd say the OP is lucky, because we have encountered our fair share of less-than-stellar CM's in our many years of visiting WDW. Maybe more than our fair share?

We've also encountered many super CM's!

When we return, we have long been in the habit of taking the time to write a thoughtful response. We include the names of all the terrific CM's we encountered as well as any problems we encountered.

As a final comment- I specifically used the phrasing less-than-stellar instead of rude, because there are many ways a CM can be less than stellar, and something like poor training isn't the fault of the CM.

I think you are being passive/aggressive at this point. Why didn't you address the situation as it happened And what does how much money you have spent have to do with it? Are you supposed to pay a lot for certain treatment? And if you don't pay a lot, you should get lousy treatment?

I'd reverse your question. Extra service costs more.

Restaurant charges are indicative of the service level one will receive. Victoria and Albert's is supposed to offer a higher level of service than the food courts. The "Fine" in fine dining largely refers to the level of service. (WDW's own webpage says, "evokes a genteel era when dining was an elegant ritual, served by an experienced maître d’hôtel and chefs in classic white toques," and "enjoy impeccable service.")

The Grand Floridian is supposed to offer services that the values don't offer. Specifically: Bell service, 24-hour room-service, signature concierge-level service, childcare service, business services, hair-salon services, spa services, and laundry/dry-cleaning service.

This is one of those threads everyone needs to remember we are hearing one side of the story. Yes, it sounds like CM had bad day- was CM to blame or was it microphone having issues? Was OP fully listening to what CM had said?

Yes CM could have been more polite and just responded to OPs question IF in fact the CM actually said what OP says they did. Remember this is only OP side.

Was OP at partly at fault , probably. OP made 2 somewhat snarky comments about how she doesn’t need to be treated that way because of all the money she’s spent and about the “police” uniform CM was wearing. I’m sure OP probably didn’t use nicest tone.

We are all human and have good and bad days. We all take attitudes at times and say things in tones we shouldn’t. Just as OP mentioned the loss of her husband- nobody here knows what that CM is going through. Could they just have been verbally abused by a guest, treated rudely or been frustrated because microphone not working. Although not excuses something to think about.

People here think Disney is perfect and pixie dust. People expect everything to go their way and have everyone at their beck and call. Disney is a real place that has real people and they make mistakes.

Yes, in some instances CMs should be reported for actions. In this case doesn’t seem so- it seems at times people complain to get things.

It is amazing how people have an experience and immediately jump on disboards and post, read comments, post then get mad when people don’t agree with them or they don’t like what they read.

OP put behind you, enjoy your trip. Forget about this minuscule event in your trip that lasted seconds and move forward. Once again sorry for your loss.
I think people can stop beating up on OP now. She probably left the thread after reading "Sorry for your loss, by the way." If this thread goes on much longer, someone will suggest OP send a formal letter of apology to the rude CM.

I think people can stop beating up on OP now. She probably left the thread after reading "Sorry for your loss, by the way." If this thread goes on much longer, someone will suggest OP send a formal letter of apology to the rude CM.

Oh, OH! Was that what you found offensive about my post? :idea:

My apologies, I didn't realize "by the way" could be read as anything other than, "Also, I want to say..."

I'll remove those words. I was only trying to express my condolences. I didn't want the OP to think I was ignoring the fact that she'd just told us that her husband had died, or that I didn't have sympathy for her pain.

I mostly agree with your post.

I think most folks have a hard time imagining these days. When we read a post, we tend to project our own experiences to the post.

As a long standing DIS member, I've also had many of my posts mis-understood. Sometimes I've used poor wording, other times poor reading skills were to blame.

The benefit of any post is when we all do our best to think and imagine different points of view.

:love1:But ultimately decide that my point of view is obviously the best. :lovestruc

Love this post. They are people too, and deserve respect. I can only count on one hand the number of times I experienced rude behavior from a Disney CM. Rude behavior from other guests though? Not sure there is a number high enough to quantify that.

Deserve? What qualifies one (not talking about military, first responders, etc) to "deserve" respect? Being a Disney employee?

Deserve? What qualifies one (not talking about military, first responders, etc) to "deserve" respect? Being a Disney employee?

I think "deserving" respect is a function of being human.

You know... the inherent worth and dignity of all human beings?

Sometimes we forget that the people who work in the service industry are human. Personally, considering the tough job they do, I generally try extra hard to be respectful toward them.

Of course, someone can lose my respect. But everyone starts with it.

I agree with this fully.

And we all have our own biases and “baggage” whenever we enter into a situation. (Please note, I used “we” intentionally as I am not free of this myself.)

I used to work in a Disney Store, and one day I was on “box office” (cash register). A woman who was not of my race (this is relevant) came up to return a t-shirt. At that time EVERYONE was asked for ID when returning an item, but the moment I politely asked for her ID, she got completely defensive and kept outright saying (NOT just insinuating) that there was “an alternative reason I needed HER ID”. I asked - again, politely - if she would like to speak with my manager and she did, so I called for one. Our sweetest manager came over and was explaining to her that everyone returning items was asked for ID, but she kept insisting that there was “an alternative reason”. Finally another manager, a wonderful woman who speaks with a HEAVY Puerto Rican accent came over and asked if she could help which at least stopped a little of the not-so-veiled accusations that we were racist. Eventually that manager got the return processed - I was restocking in the back since my register was tied up, so I missed the details. But it was pretty clear that that particular woman came fully loaded with baggage and was going to see anything as due to racism.

I’m not accusing anyone on here of anything like that. Just pointing out that whatever they are, we ALL have our biases and pre-conceived ideas of how things are going or why things are going, no matter how open-minded or liberal we may be. And that will inevitably color experiences we have with others.

Wanted to add something. I asked if the op had told the cm that no, she couldn’t be heard.

I once started off having a rotten time with a DL CM that could have led to a complaint. Something was wrong with my ap and he was telling me what to do and it made NO sense to me. What I was saying in response made NO sense to him.

The details are lost right now, but making up a silly example, it’s like I was facing one way and saying “the sky is blue” and he was facing the other saying “wow the sky is cloudy”. Neither made sense.

I was close to leaving in a serious huff when it occurred to me that maybe he was saying some variation. And I asked him. Going with the sky thing, we realized that clouds were coming in and he could see them facing his direction but I couldn’t yet.

Both of us were right. We just needed a CM to guest translator. :)

It turned into an excellent interaction and perhaps a better understanding of cms and guests. And I went straight to city hall to do what he said to do AND to give him official kudos.

So I do practice what I preach. :)

All I know is that if I spoke to one of my clients in that way and my boss found out about it, I would be reprimanded, at the very least. Yes, I understand having a bad day, we all have them, but I have never spoken to a client in any less than a polite manner, even when what I would really like to do is scream at them instead. I would definitely have taken down the CM's name and reported them, just as I have "reported" many people who have shown outstanding customer service, not only at Disney World, but in my everyday life.

We've had a few bad CMs over the years, but the one who really took the cake was a server who decided to sit with us during our meal. We were at the turning restaurant at the land. She just plopped down.....I had to move my stuff ..... and told us how tired she was and had to help her mother move because her rent went to high........ Meanwhile, DH and I put down our forks.
What!?!? That's crazy. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter