Here now...nasty cm??? What the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmouse1239

Mouseketeer
just experienced my first nasty CM in 30 years of visits to WDW. We were entering Epcot, but wanted to take a quick monorail ride to the GF to see the Christmas decor. She was taking.theough some microphone, but her words were garbled. I walked over and asked her if I needed to have my bag checked to get on the monorail. Her response was “Did you not hear what I just said?”. I don’t expect this from Disney. When I get back there in a short while, I’m getting her name to include it on the guest survey. I spend too much $ to come here and be treated that way.

Understand your being upset and she needs to be reported,but one bad CM in 30 years speaks very highly for the quality of WDW CMs!!!!:)

Agreed. CMs are fabulous, IMO, and as I always say are a huge part of what makes our trip extra pixiedust: Who knows, maybe she's an excellent CM just having a bad morning (we've all had those no matter what our line of work)...maybe she's a terrible CM who needs to find a different line of work.

I probably will let it go, but the tone of her response was what made it so bad. My SIL was with me, and she’s the most forgiving person I know. Even she couldn’t believe the level of “rude”.

I find most CM's to be so amazing that I have gone to guest services to mention their name.
I've only gone once due to a nasty CM although I've experienced a couple.
Both nasty ones were at Epcot. Maybe that park does something to them lol.
The one I didn't report happened at the end of the night and I was not wasting my time.
It was an older woman photographer that wanted me to take off my hat. I had just gone on TT with my hair down so it was a mess and I just wanted my hat on. She legit wouldn't take the pic until I took it off. Thanks lady I wasn't gonna buy a pic with wild hair.
The one that I did report was a restroom CM. She was cleaning and walked out of a stall as though she was done cleaning it so I walked in because it happened to be the first stall that was open. I walked in and before I could lock the door she pushed the door in on me and yelled I'm not done in here why would you go in this one?! It was embarrassing to be yelled at in front of a ton of people and then waiting for another stall in front of all of them. Plus she whacked me with the door. So I went to guest services and they acted as though this CM was not a stranger to being in trouble.
I felt bad because she possibly got fired after my report but it was uncalled for.

Rudeness is never acceptable, ESPECIALLY in a Disney-trained employee, but PLEASE PLEASE remember, cast members are also human beings...going through human problems, etc. Even if they are having a BAD day: illness, homesickness, nasty guests, ... they MUST keep a smile on their face and give guests a magical experience. Sometimes, that unfortunately slips. Think about how many thousands of guests they interact with on a daily basis. I'm surprised there aren't MORE situations that are less than "magical".

Just to put things in perspective, here's one story to consider from "the other side": :rolleyes:

Our college graduate daughter, honors winner, world traveler, equestrian - working toward a lifelong dream of a career with the Walt Disney Company, was doing her job with a smile on her face (on this particular evening, it was trying to keep traffic moving in a very busy walkway and giving directions to confused guests). A guest and his daughter stopped in front of my daughter. She said, "may I help you?" and he pointed to my daughter, and said to his young daughter, "THIS is why you have to go to college! So you DON"T end up with a job like THIS!" THEN, to add insult to injury, he turned again to my daughter and said, "But, you don't have to worry, at least you're PRETTY." and walked away.... My daughter just looked at him and said, "Have a nice evening." She called us that night and said, "you would have been SO proud of me. I kept my cool!"

I only share this to let you know, as I'm sure you do, cast members are due respect, too. :cutie:

Rudeness is never acceptable, ESPECIALLY in a Disney-trained employee, but PLEASE PLEASE remember, cast members are also human beings...going through human problems, etc. Even if they are having a BAD day: illness, homesickness, nasty guests, ... they MUST keep a smile on their face and give guests a magical experience. Sometimes, that unfortunately slips. Think about how many thousands of guests they interact with on a daily basis. I'm surprised there aren't MORE situations that are less than "magical".

Just to put things in perspective, here's one story to consider from "the other side": :rolleyes:

Our college graduate daughter, honors winner, world traveler, equestrian - working toward a lifelong dream of a career with the Walt Disney Company, was doing her job with a smile on her face (on this particular evening, it was trying to keep traffic moving in a very busy walkway and giving directions to confused guests). A guest and his daughter stopped in front of my daughter. She said, "may I help you?" and he pointed to my daughter, and said to his young daughter, "THIS is why you have to go to college! So you DON"T end up with a job like THIS!" THEN, to add insult to injury, he turned again to my daughter and said, "But, you don't have to worry, at least you're PRETTY." and walked away.... My daughter just looked at him and said, "Have a nice evening." She called us that night and said, "you would have been SO proud of me. I kept my cool!"

I only share this to let you know, as I'm sure you do, cast members are due respect, too. :cutie:

Love this post. They are people too, and deserve respect. I can only count on one hand the number of times I experienced rude behavior from a Disney CM. Rude behavior from other guests though? Not sure there is a number high enough to quantify that.

The only rude CM that I experienced last month was a lady in a "security cop" uniform at the Epcot metal detectors. Maybe it was the same one.

That's a horrible story and kudos to your daughter keeping her cool. I, personally, have seen more horrible behavior from guests than from CM's. That being said, when the CM behavior is aimed at a guest and is unprovoked (as it was in the OP"s case), there really is no excuse for it. Could the CM be having a bad day and had a bad experience with a previous guest? Maybe. But that doesn't mean they can take it out on every guest that subsequently comes their way. I've contacted guest relations on a few occasions regarding both great CM's and not so good ones. We once arrived for a PPO breakfast in MK and they had changed the entrance from the last time we had been there. After entering, we asked a CM where we should go and she very kindly pointed to the left-hand MK entrance tunnel. When we got there, the CM letting PPO people in absolutely laid into us for scanning our tickets at the "wrong" entrance. When I asked if he would like us to go back and re-scan somewhere else, he completely ignored us and started yelling at the family behind us. Meanwhile, people were just simply walking in that entrance because this CM was too busy yelling at people to even monitor the entrance. Since he was yelling at others at that point, we just walked inside. It was awful and, yes, I reported him. He was obviously having a really bad day or was just, generally, an angry person, but I didn't cause it (and neither did the people behind us), so there is zero excuse for his behavior. If you can't handle your job on a certain day because of illness, homesickness or other nasty guests, then perhaps speak to a manager. You can't take it out on other guests.

Ugh, people like this should be sentenced to work for a year in a low pay, customer facing role. Preferably at a busy fast food restaurant or retail store with lots and lots of merchandise. Then maybe they'll get why their clever quips are not all that clever. I was in college but working at Subway for some spending money, some older dude made a similar quip to his children. I said I was actually in school full time, only to hear him respond "For what, to learn how to manage the SUB-way?" like no matter what, they decided someone in a fast food job (who is making the food he's about to eat) are beneath him.

The only close to rude CM I saw in my eleven day trip was at the pizza station at the food court at Pop. She asked for my order, and I gave it. She was paying attention to another CM while I was ordering, so she asked my order again like I hadn't given one. This was the worst I experienced in the whole trip--certainly not bad enough to complain about, although I have to admit I was a little short with her when I gave the order the second time. There were SO MANY CMs over the trip that seemed to go out of their way to make things even better I couldn't count it. The Disney CMs go above and beyond every other business I deal with. This is why Disney World is so magical. Of course I read somewhere they have some 70,000 CMs. A bad experience here and there is bound to happen.

I am sorry that the OP was made to feel scolded/ashamed/embarrassed for asking a question. Truth is, he/she was the one there to know the tone, body language, facial expression, etc of the cast member & obviously feathers were ruffled enough to hop on & post about the encounter. As others have said, cast members are human-deserving of respect, patience, tolerance. I don't wish to minimize what the OP is/was feeling, we all spend a tremendous amount of time, money & energy planning our perfect Disney trip & there are ALOT of expectations that are laid out long before we step foot in Orlando. I hope he/she can remember that most CM's are young, far from home & trying so hard everyday, don't let one "bad apple" spoil your day.

Could the CM be having a bad day and had a bad experience with a previous guest? Maybe. But that doesn't mean they can take it out on every guest that subsequently comes their way.

How do you know they took it out on every guest that came their way? OP gave their version of one single event, doesn't mean it happened to every guest that CM came across.

I walked over and asked her if I needed to have my bag checked to get on the monorail. Her response was “Did you not hear what I just said?”.
Did you misinterpret that she was asking you a serious question? Maybe she didn't know that it was not working and could have corrected the microphone/speaker problem so others could hear it properly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter