Here now...nasty cm??? What the heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder...

How many people officially complain about the one in 30 years rude Cast Member vs. officially commend the one in each trip who really stands out?

I would report her in a survey if it happened to me (So far, it never has) and I am also someone who makes note of special CM nametags to commend them on the survey if they really did something special for us.

just experienced my first nasty CM in 30 years of visits to WDW. We were entering Epcot, but wanted to take a quick monorail ride to the GF to see the Christmas decor. She was taking.theough some microphone, but her words were garbled. I walked over and asked her if I needed to have my bag checked to get on the monorail. Her response was “Did you not hear what I just said?”. I don’t expect this from Disney. When I get back there in a short while, I’m getting her name to include it on the guest survey. I spend too much $ to come here and be treated that way.

Wait, what?

You're actually going to invest time and effort in tracking her down because you feel like she got a bit too snappy with you?

I mean, I could see getting her name on the spot, but actually going back for it, is a little bit like holding a grudge, no?

Also, I'm guessing you must be very good at remembering people, because for the life of me, I couldn't identify one CM over another, once any amount of time has passed. "Um, let's see... they're young. Healthy. Er..." I could take a guess at race, age, hair color and bmi, but beyond that, I'm hopeless. I wouldn't trust myself to point out a cm hours later and say, "That's the woman who snapped at me!" It could be some other woman, and I'd be falsely accusing her!

I've only encountered one snappy CM, that I can recall. It was an older woman at the KidCot station at the American Adventure. She was abrupt and impatient with my kids, and it took a bit of the glow off that moment. But the next country's cm was delightful, and I didn't bother complaining. Clearly she was having a bad day. I wasn't going to let her affect mine. Especially as she didn't actually do anything awful, she was just grumpy. Anywhere else, we'd never even have noticed her.

As my husband commented to me, "Castmembers, as a whole, are so generally awesome, that whenever one accidentally lets show that she's human, it really stands out."

I think you are being passive/aggressive at this point. Why didn't you address the situation as it happened? And what does how much money you have spent have to do with it? Are you supposed to pay a lot for certain treatment? And if you don't pay a lot, you should get lousy treatment?

BTW, you didn't really need to ask if you had to get your bag checked - did you see a way to the monorail from the entrance to EPCOT? If you can't see a way through without bag check, (like a big sign that says "Monorail Entrance") then of course you have to go through bag check.
I don’t know about the rest, but I think the $ is relevant. Of course, no one deserves to be treated badly no matter what. But, I think there is an expectation of you get what you pay for when you spend a lot of $ to be somewhere or do something, so it’s extra aggravating when you get poor customer service. I agree that I wouldn’t waste my time now hunting her down, but I sure would have told her something in that moment!!

Holy cow! All I did was post an experience, and I’m getting a lecture like I’m a pariah or something. For those who suggested that I was snappy to her, I was not. I have traveled to WDW most years over the past 20. I am an AP holder and a former DVC member. I also recently lost my husband, so I don’t need to be lectured about how I should feel about this or that. My trips to WDW have been wonderful, or I wouldn’t have been back so many times. As for going back, I had no choice but to do so when returning from the monorail ride. For those who suggested that she was having a bad day, she was singing loudly in a very animated way within 2-3 minutes of her snarky remark to me. I am a pretty darn positive person. I always fill out first surveys, no matter where I travel, and they are almost exclusively positive. I have reported fantastic CMs many times, and I have never reported any that weren’t quite up to par. So, if you are offended that I posted an experience that wasn’t positive, kindly move on and chastise someone else.

Holy cow! All I did was post an experience, and I’m getting a lecture like I’m a pariah or something. For those who suggested that I was snappy to her, I was not. I have traveled to WDW most years over the past 20. I am an AP holder and a former DVC member. I also recently lost my husband, so I don’t need to be lectured about how I should feel about this or that. My trips to WDW have been wonderful, or I wouldn’t have been back so many times. As for going back, I had no choice but to do so when returning from the monorail ride. For those who suggested that she was having a bad day, she was singing loudly in a very animated way within 2-3 minutes of her snarky remark to me. I am a pretty darn positive person. I always fill out first surveys, no matter where I travel, and they are almost exclusively positive. I have reported fantastic CMs many times, and I have never reported any that weren’t quite up to par. So, if you are offended that I posted an experience that wasn’t positive, kindly move on and chastise someone else.
Just be thankful those posters aren't CMs!

Sooo... after posting your experience here, when you rode the monorail back, did you actually walk up to her and ask her name? Or did you just get close enough to read her name tag? And now that you presumably have her name, will you actually be reporting her for snarking at you?

At least it appears she managed to get back into the proper Disney CM attitude within minutes of interacting with you. That's something, anyway. Hopefully she didn't have another lapse of tone.

I'm actually surprised she was still at the same post, when you rode the monorail back. They tend to move CMs around a lot, in my experience. I think it keeps them from getting that 1000 yard stare.

Sorry for your loss. And yes, I do hope the rest of your trip goes better.

Last edited:
Sooo... after posting your experience here, when you rode the monorail back, did you actually walk up to her and ask her name? Or did you just get close enough to read her name tag? And now that you presumably have her name, will you actually be reporting her for snarking at you?

At least it appears she managed to get back into the proper Disney CM attitude within minutes of interacting with you. That's something, anyway. Hopefully she didn't have another lapse of tone.

I'm actually surprised she was still at the same post, when you rode the monorail back. They tend to move CMs around a lot, in my experience. I think it keeps them from getting that 1000 yard stare.

Sorry for your loss, by the way. And yes, I do hope the rest of your trip goes better.
Wow

I think you are being passive/aggressive at this point. Why didn't you address the situation as it happened? And what does how much money you have spent have to do with it? Are you supposed to pay a lot for certain treatment? And if you don't pay a lot, you should get lousy treatment?

BTW, you didn't really need to ask if you had to get your bag checked - did you see a way to the monorail from the entrance to EPCOT? If you can't see a way through without bag check, (like a big sign that says "Monorail Entrance") then of course you have to go through bag check.
Um, why are you blaming the customer for asking a simple question? It's unfortunate to blame the person who was treated rudely.

Passive/aggressive? For not wanting to argue with an employee while on vacation? Retraining the employee is not her responsibility. Her only responsibility is to make Disney aware of how she was treated. They can then evaluate the situation and decide how best to respond in regards to that employee.

Last edited:

It was a sincere question.

I am sorry for her loss, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd still like to know if she got the cast member's name and if she is actually being reported for being snarky.

These are two entirely different issues, no? Her husband's death, while incredibly tragic, is not relevant to the question of how one goes about identifying and reporting a castmember that you feel has been rude to you.

For the record, I don't think she's necessarily in the wrong. Nor do I have any reason to believe she read the situation wrong. I'm just interested in whether she followed up, or ultimately decided it was too much trouble. Me, I'm lazy and bad at remembering people, so I know I'd almost certainly let it go (unless I'd managed to get the name in the actual moment). But, that's just me.

I understand ignoring the rudeness of fellow guests in order to not let it ruin your day, but the OP is talking about someone who has a customer-facing JOB. They get paid, and hopefully paid to do it well. When they are not doing their jobs well, it should not not just be swept under a rug. If this is a habit (a lot of reports), it would benefit all involved, including the CM, to be re-trained, or transferred to another job they are better suited to.

That said, I'm not ruling out a bad day. One honest report should not mess up anyone's life. And I don't think the OP is letting it ruin her time there. I think she wrote in because she was surprised. I mean, if it happened to me after 30 years of nothing but great CMs, I'd be surprised too.

I understand ignoring the rudeness of fellow guests in order to not let it ruin your day, but the OP is talking about someone who has a customer-facing JOB. They get paid, and hopefully paid to do it well. When they are not doing their jobs well, it should not not just be swept under a rug. If this is a habit (a lot of reports), it would benefit all involved, including the CM, to be re-trained, or transferred to another job they are better suited to.

That said, I'm not ruling out a bad day. One honest report should not mess up anyone's life. And I don't think the OP is letting it ruin her time there. I think she wrote in because she was surprised. I mean, if it happened to me after 30 years of nothing but great CMs, I'd be surprised too.

What you've written here is very reasonable, and I think I agree with everything you've said.

I’ve only had one bad CM encounter in all our trips. A few years back, DBF and I walked up to the carriage magic shot outside HM at MNSSHP. The CM told us how to pose as we walked up, but I didn’t realize it as I’m a bit hard of hearing especially in loud areas. DBF got into the “look scared” pose as I stood waiting for instructions. The CM looked irritated and said, “well at least one of you knows how to listen.” I DID hear that and DBF confirmed I heard correctly. I apologized and told her I was HOH but she literally gave no response. THought about reporting it but didn’t though I let it sour my night.

We had kind of similar situation yesterday in MK. We were getting in line for Peter M&G and it was starting to spill out of queue. So my dh asked do you think we will see him before the break ( I could see times on kennys) and she said Peter doesn’t take breaks and I wouldn’t have let you get in line if you couldn’t see him. She seemed like we offended her with the question. Her tone was what did it, because those words in a different tone almost funny and in character. It was weird she turned and walked off and ignored us every time we were near her but interacted with every other guest.

Over at Aladdin and jasmine though the CM approached us and said you will most likely have to wait through a 15 minute break but welcome to stay in line or come back 10 minutes before next start time which they volunteered. Which I thought was just great service. And made us feel less crazy for asking what we thought was a normal question. Lol.

In our previous trips we have only had one rude CM and I did not "officially" report her. On our 1st trip the CM who worked at BBB on my daughter was incredible. A few hours later I learned from a waitress you could write up or commend good people (had no idea) so I went to Town Hall to do so. While there I was talking with the CM about my daughters great experience and she was saying they got more complaints than compliments. I mentioned that the hostess at Tony's had been incredibly nasty to us when seating us. She showed us to a booth and I had to ask for a table. One of my daughters great aunts had mobility issues and could not manage a booth. The hostess rolled her eyes and said Well You Will Have To Wait in an overdramatic tone. This in a 2/3's empty restaurant. They asked me if I wanted to report it and I said no maybe she was just having a bad day. As I was leaving I heard her tell 3 other girls Meredith got another one but he didn't want to report it. So I am guessing when a CM is rude a lot of people just let it pass.

We've had a few bad CMs over the years, but the one who really took the cake was a server who decided to sit with us during our meal. We were at the turning restaurant at the land. She just plopped down.....I had to move my stuff ..... and told us how tired she was and had to help her mother move because her rent went to high........ Meanwhile, DH and I put down our forks.

And no we didn't speak to manager, I wanted to , DH didn't.

Can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but THAT CM, I remember her name . LOL

We've had a few bad CMs over the years, but the one who really took the cake was a server who decided to sit with us during our meal. We were at the turning restaurant at the land. She just plopped down.....I had to move my stuff ..... and told us how tired she was and had to help her mother move because her rent went to high........ Meanwhile, DH and I put down our forks.

And no we didn't speak to manager, I wanted to , DH didn't.

Can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but THAT CM, I remember her name . LOL

Was it at DHS? Because I think that's part of the shtick at the diner. If you didn't know it was coming, it would be quite disturbing.

Was it at DHS? Because I think that's part of the shtick at the diner. If you didn't know it was coming, it would be quite disturbing.

No, it was at The Land. The restaurant upstairs.... with Chip and Dale. I don't know what is the current name.

We have never eaten at the one you mentioned because I don't want to be yelled at for not eating veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter