Help DIS Homeschoolers Help me convince my DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karel said:
Well, you had me until this part. I hope you don't mean that as it sounds. There are many children who leave the classroom for math and reading. There is nothing embarrassing about it. They are being taught on their level and have to work very hard to succeed. It's a negative reaction like that which hurts them. An IEP is a useful tool.

The problem I was stating was that SHE was embarrassed because of the kids name calling. This was in Kindergarten and I can only assume it was because of the other children maybe having older sibs who might say this?? Not sure...My other point was that she wouldnt be taught to read. They said she couldnt and would only be able to learn reading via sight words at some point...So taking her out of reading class to go do "Therapy" for like speech she still wouldnt be reading. As for math I dont even know how they planned on handling that because in Kindergarten it wasnt a huge subject as much as exposure to ideas, and that was also up in the air with the whole she cant think abstractly. During those times she would be in therapy and not learning which was my concern. It may have worked, but I really saw the pain in my daughter's face, and how sad she was. She knew she was smart, it just wasnt clicking. Our neighbors daughter was in her class and was a good friend to her, and her mom heard the stories of the kids teasing and the teacher did tell them to stop and gave them warnings to take home but it continued. I dunno...we just were not thrilled and decided it'd be best to do something else. For us it has worked, and Im pretty happy where we are, so no need to change for now. Unfortunately, the only private school able to handle her required therapy is 26,000.00 per year. :sad2: We are no where near able to afford that...

As for this thread though Im done...its gotten pretty out of hand.

sha_lyn said:
I've been here for 6.5 yrs andI don't believe I've ever run into anyone so hateful and closed minded.

I have...and she just keeps reappearing. Some just get their kicks out of being rude. :stir:

AllyCatTapia said:
aaaaaawwmamato2 (who cannot even self identify outside of her role as a mother!!!) Did I get your panties in a wad?

How is it that my childrens' teachers are NOT experts in their field? Hmmm? They are either education majors OR they are Chemistry/Math/Reading majors.

Don't be a fool- if you know ANYTHING about the education system (which many homeschoolers know just about what applies to them and thats it), you know that licensing and qualification is done at the State level, other than NCLB which is an attempt toward nationalization (in some peoples opinion).

So, in MY state, don't know what backward state YOU are in, but in MY state, grades K-6 are education majors, most of K is education major with child dev minor and 6-12 are subject field majors. In addition to that they ALL have to have masters degrees within 5 years of their provisional license.

Therefore, they're professionals in their field.

I'm sorry that you homeschool your children, but you don't even know the most basic facts about our national education system, which is basically that there ISN"T one, so don't go around generalizing.

PS- More so than most of the Jesus freaks I see homeschooling around here, I'm probably umpteen more times more qualified to HS my kids- IF I so stupidly chose to do so- as I have a masters in child dev and an undergrad minor in Ed. and have spent years upon years working with children.

But I would never put my children is such a position. Ever.

OH- and I know nothing about homeschool? yeah, um, I spent quite a bit of time in my states dept of family services AND ******* Dept of Education RESCUING messed up children, isolated children, children whose FATHERS witht heir I lvoe my family life radio bumper stickers took the moms car keys so she couldn't leave their home (ahem andrea yates type freaks). I have seen PLENTY of "homeschoolers" and "unschoolers"

More than I wish.

Just cause someones remarks are rude, don't assume they don't have a reason. I have been disgusted by this more than my fair share of times.

Oh and by the way - all your little facts are "elementary" (haha) and really have nothing to do with YOUR LACK OF QUALIFICATION to teach your children (past, say, 1st grade!)

I know I'm a new poster on this board but I have been lurking for a long time. I have never seen anything even close to this. I know I shouldn't even dignify it with a response but if there are two things I cannot stand it is attacking my children and attacking my Lord.

If you think that I'm a Jesus freak because I love the Lord and want to live life according to His word, then thank you. I'll take that as a compliment. :cool1:

mamato2, good for you in finding pride that you are the mom to two children. I was going to choose something for my id related to being a soccer mom, but it was late when I registered and I wasn't feeling very clever. Some people just can't understand, and deal with, moms truly loving their kids and finding pride in being their mom. Oh well, we understand and that's all that matters.

I would comment on how teacher certification is a joke. I was an elementary major in college, so yes, I am qualified to comment. But this morning's World Cup game is coming on and I'll find more satisfaction in spending time with my daughter, enjoying the game together. There is nothing else I would rather be doing right now. Mamato2, I bet you understand! :thumbsup2

AllyCatTapia said:
"I never get the whole arguing over this issue. It used to get me really heated, but now I just wonder why people cannot simply accept that one solution is not right for every single person"

You know why? Because our children will be peers and I want the best for my childs peers and the society that my child comes to be a part of. And I don't believe that (most) homeschoolers will do much else past college than sit in the back of the room and seethe that the professor is a "liberal" just because they are suddenly away from their mommys protective and backward idelaogy, and anything new and against that must be "liberal".

But not everyone's going to do well, no matter what situation we give them. There will always be screwups and slackers coming from every corner of society.

The liberal ideology is to protect these slackers and foster a government which assumes they can't fend for themselves and must be provided for.

If these homeschoolers had been publicly schooled, your argument is that when presented with a liberal college professor they would have no problem with his ideology having been inculcated in such an atmosphere from an early age.

However, it is just as likely for a public schooled child to become a conservative, given strong family values and parental teaching of those values.

You post about all the education you've accomplished; there must have been a logic class in there somewhere!

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Report a post is your friend.

Amen, Lisa, Amen!

For those who don't know what it is, see that little exclamation point in the box beside each post? You click on it and send a note to the mods. Beth has asked for some help in watching for these kinds of things as she is not able to be on as much as she would like at times.

For the past little while, the Family Board has been a place that homeschoolers were able to post questions and get advice in a respectful environment. I am really saddened to see the intollerance in this thread.

disneymom3 said:
For those who don't know what it is, see that little exclamation point in the box beside each post? You click on it and send a note to the mods. .

Ok, you guys, try not to laugh too hard at me, but I kept looking at my post thinking, why can't I see an exclamation point there? Then I realized, duh, can't report MYSELF.

And that's the blonde moment for the day...

Disneyrsh said:
Ok, you guys, try not to laugh too hard at me, but I kept looking at my post thinking, why can't I see an exclamation point there? Then I realized, duh, can't report MYSELF.

And that's the blonde moment for the day...

:rotfl: :rotfl: I am only laughing because after I posted above I had the same experience!! Oh, the kids had a rough night last night and clearly the lack of sleep has effected my mental capacity!

Like I stated in my earlier post, religion has no part in our homeschool decision. In fact, my friends who homeschool are all left wing ,tree hugging hippies(count me in this bunch)!!!!We want to give our children the best possible education in an open environment. Our group has one stay-at-home dad(who has a master's degree BTW), a social worker(who alternates days with her sister), a retired forest ranger(me), an ex- school guidance counselor(also with a master's) and the list could easily go on. So please don't assume that homeschoolers are not qualified to teach their children or that we are all "Jesus Freaks". Even those who do choose to homeschool for religious reasons do so because they know what is best for their family and they feel it is important to teach according to their faith. As far as teachers being trained and being more qualified to teach my children, let me give you an example. One of my friends from HS went to UK at the same time I did and is now an elementary school teacher. She was always proud of the fact that she had NEVER read a book. Needless to say, she is no longer a friend of mine since I have grown up(matter of opinion, of course), but she now has the future of our country in her hands!!Give me a break!I just hope her skills have advanced enough to get through "Dick and Jane". :rotfl2:

ok, so I've been looking back through the posts to try to find out who posted about using the K-12 curriculum, but I can't find it. I have some ?'s about it, as I am considerign it or something like it for DD for math next year. Please PM me if you have any info. Thanks!

Maybelle--I don't understand your question. Are you looking for a math curriculum that you can use throughout school? MathUSee offers a K-12 math program (I believe it goes up to pre-calc).

Maybelle said:
ok, so I've been looking back through the posts to try to find out who posted about using the K-12 curriculum, but I can't find it. I have some ?'s about it, as I am considerign it or something like it for DD for math next year. Please PM me if you have any info. Thanks!

Graygables, bottom page 16 mentions it. I think it is an entire curriculum rather than a pick and choose. A gf uses it and loves it.

Whoa! The last time I checked in on this thread it was a little heated but boy is it in fire now! :sad2: I really think everyone just wants what's best for their kids. We may not understand other people's choices and they may not understand ours but that's okay. Earlier in this thread I thought a poster came across as angry but now that she has posted more I can totally understand where she is coming from. Of course nobody owes anyone an explanation but it did open my eyes a bit. There will always be people who don't agree but can we instead maybe just point out the good points that we have experienced -be it HS or PS- and go with that? I will start-I have met very nice Hs and PS students. Both were very smart and a pleasure to be around. Anyone else have something positive to offer? Come on- I know you can't help but think of something nice! This is the Dis! We ALL love WDW!!! See- we all have that in common! princess:

Mouse House Mama said:
Whoa! The last time I checked in on this thread it was a little heated but boy is it in fire now! :sad2: I really think everyone just wants what's best for their kids. We may not understand other people's choices and they may not understand ours but that's okay. Earlier in this thread I thought a poster came across as angry but now that she has posted more I can totally understand where she is coming from. Of course nobody owes anyone an explanation but it did open my eyes a bit. There will always be people who don't agree but can we instead maybe just point out the good points that we have experienced -be it HS or PS- and go with that? I will start-I have met very nice Hs and PS students. Both were very smart and a pleasure to be around. Anyone else have something positive to offer? Come on- I know you can't help but think of something nice! This is the Dis! We ALL love WDW!!! See- we all have that in common! princess:

Very Nice! :goodvibes

I love homeschooling, but would NEVER want to force it on anybody, and without a doubt realize that it is NOT the best choice for everyone!

I'm always amazed at the bright kids I have met from ALL sorts of educational backgrounds, and can't wait to see the marvelous contributions they will make to our society!

I'm so glad to see so many parents want to take an active role in their children's education no matter what type it is.

Above all that is the key to success IMO!

:grouphug:

Mouse House Mama said:

Statistically speaking, the majority of the pleasant young men and women one meets would be PS students. :) We have very delightful kids in our neighborhood who live here as much as they do at home! I wouldn't trade them for the world. I think my neighbors feel the same about mine... :teeth: In the end, we all have to learn to work together, because Life is Hard, without friends to get you through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter