Have/would you leave your kids sleeping alone in the room and go f/swim? *SEE #159*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you really have no idea how your child would react...you can only assume.

Two years ago, I thought DS13 was ready to be left home alone, his reaction to something (nothing bad) was enough to surprise me and for me to realize he was not ready. Now at 13, he is fine but at 11, he was not, and I truly thought he was.

The OP has said though that if the variables weren't exactly as she explained she wouldn't be doing it. So given there is no pool that close to the room she won't be doing it.

It is grand that you like to spend every waking moment with your children, I don't I get to spend every waking moment with my kids normally - which is why when we go on holiday we like to hire a house so that we can have some adult alone time that we don't get that much at home. At said house we are actually further away from the kids and can't see them and I can tell you we will be sitting out by the pool maybe even in it. My kids can't do long days such as you are explaining so knowing my family as I do it is best that they get a good night sleep before we go again the next day.

If everything went down as the OP stated and child services came around then by that manner they would also need to come around to those who sit outside their hotel rooms as they have left their children unattended in a room.

I still think this is a case of if you don't feel comfortable doing it don't do it, but in the right circumstances I would.

Kirsten

Renting a house is much different than staying in a hotel where many strangers are in such a close proximity. Should you leave a child under 2 alone in your rental house, no. But, heres
another important key difference: no one else is likely to call in to CPS if you're in a home because how would they know? Not true in a hotel. What the OP did do was continually argue
that what she was doing is right and didn't care what anyone else thinks all the while asking
for opinions (can you say contradiction?) and posting an ever changing set of parameters for her
situation. She also stated that CPS wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't be called. All wrong.

OP, I know you are tired of this, but you asked for opinions and you've gotten them. Although I don't understand why you asked the question when you had your mind made up ?!?

The one variable that I see that is significantly different from sitting at home is that you are in a hotel and relying upon their entry system. I guess I've traveled enough that I know how unreliable electronic keys can be.

I've had:
- the power go out, where I had to walk down flights of stairs and find a manager with a passkey for all the rooms to let me in. (not Disney, but a higher-end hotel than Disney)

- I've had keys that worked just fine suddenly become de-magnetized.

- need more examples ?

I wouldn't like the options either... propping the door? Don't think so.

I wouldn't do it, and I do allow my kids freedom. It all depends upon your comfort level.

I really don't disagree or agree with it. It is your parenting decision. My personal choice would be save a little extra money and get a babysitter for one night. Take the opportunity to really relax in one of the pools, have a nice poolside meal, and make it a great night out.

I know it can be boring sitting in the room with sleeping children, but try and make it fun! Maybe bring your laptop and look through pictures of the day or bring games that you and your husband enjoy. Something nice might be to sit right outside your room and enjoy a few drinks.

I hope it all works out. I want the safety of the kids to come first of course! :)

This is sort of off topic, but I thought I would share anyway. :) We just got back last night from a week in a 2 bedroom villa at BLT. My 2 year old son was sleeping in the bedroom with 2 queen beds. At some point Tuesday night, he accidentally knocked the phone off the hook in his sleep. Apparently, a phone off the hook for a certain amount of time triggers a 911 call. The staff tried calling our room, but obviously, that didn't work. Then they came and knocked at our door for ten minutes. DH and I were asleep in the master bedroom, and DD 4 was asleep on the pullout chair. When we didn't hear the knocking, the manager got a pass key and opened the door to our room. She started calling out to make certain everyone was okay. That finally woke DD who ran screaming into our room. When I approached the front door, the manager was frantically calling my name through the few inches the door would open with the safety lock on. She explained that she had to check on us and apologized profusely as it was 4 AM. In the meantime, DS 2 had woken up and was confused to say the least. We ended that night with DD asleep in the bed with DH because she was scared and me in the room with DS because he was also pretty freaked.

OP, do whatever you feel is right for your family; this is just one story of a bizarre happening at WDW. :hippie:

OP, I know you are tired of this, but you asked for opinions and you've gotten them. Although I don't understand why you asked the question when you had your mind made up ?!?

The one variable that I see that is significantly different from sitting at home is that you are in a hotel and relying upon their entry system. I guess I've traveled enough that I know how unreliable electronic keys can be.

I've had:
- the power go out, where I had to walk down flights of stairs and find a manager with a passkey for all the rooms to let me in. (not Disney, but a higher-end hotel than Disney)

- I've had keys that worked just fine suddenly become de-magnetized.

- need more examples ?

I wouldn't like the options either... propping the door? Don't think so.

I wouldn't do it, and I do allow my kids freedom. It all depends upon your comfort level.

Her oldest child is 8 and presumably knows how to open a door. There are also 2 parents. In the unlikely event that the key stops working, one parent can stay by the door and the other can walk to the office.

Just got back from a confrence this weekend.... not a disney... but I got locked INSIDE my room. I don't know how... so don't ask. It could probably only happen to me. I missed my flight home and had to rebook. Anyway, I had to call the front desk for them to send up a handman. It took them almost 45 minutes to figure it out and fix the door. I can not imagine if this would have happened with my kids on one side and me on the other.

Again, i didn't agree with the op when she originally posted but for other reasons. I would have never thought that something like this could EVER happen before. But it did... to me. And thankfully just to me and not my family. But with that said... I would have hated to explain to the CM why I was wet in my suit and needed them to take the lock off my door to let me get to my kids inside.

On a side note the hotel did give me a free night to make up for my missed flight.

You do realize that 2 of the OP's kids are within the age range that you're agreeing is too young to be left alone, right? I also agree with you that there's nothing wrong with alone time for parents on vacation with kids. But there's a right way to do it (multi room rental, bringing along an extended family member, etc) and a wrong way which has been thoroughly detailed in the past 15 pages.

But it's the age of the oldest is what counts here. An 8 year old is old enough to open the door and call out to mom if the baby sister happens to start crying.

Her oldest child is 8 and presumably knows how to open a door. There are also 2 parents. In the unlikely event that the key stops working, one parent can stay by the door and the other can walk to the office.

This assumes that the child would wake up by someone knocking. I could do a rain dance in my kid's room when they are sleeping and they wouldn't wake up.

I know its a 'what if' and the OP really didn't want to hear our opinions. This example is just another variable where it IS different than home and something I would not be comfortable with. Of course, I don't stay on property with 3 kids for exactly this reason.

Last time I shared a hotel room with them, I felt amazing the next day when I went to sleep at their bedtime. I understood where their energy came from!

This assumes that the child would wake up by someone knocking. I could do a rain dance in my kid's room when they are sleeping and they wouldn't wake up.

I know its a 'what if' and the OP really didn't want to hear our opinions. This example is just another variable where it IS different than home and something I would not be comfortable with. Of course, I don't stay on property with 3 kids for exactly this reason.

Last time I shared a hotel room with them, I felt amazing the next day when I went to sleep at their bedtime. I understood where their energy came from!

But if your kids are asleep, then you just wait for the front desk to come with a key, with one parent outside monitoring the door.

I thought the scenario was that the children inside were panicking and becoming traumatized. If they're fast asleep and dreaming about Mickey then the OP can wait.

unless you want to be in a room quickly (ie. emergency) and you can't be.

unless you want to be in a room quickly (ie. emergency) and you can't be.

If they're asleep they're in their beds away from the window, so you can smash it. Problem solved.

I have to say that I think the chances a door malfunctioning and leaving a parent outside, are probably equal to the chances of a door doing the same thing while parents are in the bathroom. Except in the bathroom you wouldn't be able to see your kids, call for help, or walk to the office.

That is what it really comes down to for me too. There is too big of a chance one or more of the kids would wake up, and being in a strange place freak out. Those kids will not be as comfortable or feel as secure in a strange hotel room as they would feel at home. And it is a lot to ask of a 7 year old to handle, for themselves, and for the younger kiddies.

Opening the door and saying "Hey mom, little bro is crying." Is a lot to ask of an 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter