Have/would you leave your kids sleeping alone in the room and go f/swim? *SEE #159*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistressMerryweather

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping we can see our room door from the pool so dh and I can go for a swim with the baby monitor nearby after the kids are asleep. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless we could see the door and hear with the baby monitor. Anyone else do this or feel okay doing this? Our kids will be almost 6 and 8, and a 2yo.

ETA: I'm talking a few feet from the door, not 100. In clear view of the door at all times.

Seriously? Would you leave your kids alone at home to "just run to the store"? That is basically what you are proposing. Your kids are entirely too young to be left alone.

I have to agree. I wouldn't leave them alone. Baby monitor or not.

I honestly really try to never post negative things to anyone because I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and parenting styles but have you ever heard of Madeleine McCann? She was a little girl who was kidnapped from her resort room while her parents ate dinner right across the way. Please do not do this even if the room is literally right next to the pool. What if there were a fire? I really hope you are just kidding.

Seriously? Would you leave your kids alone at home to "just run to the store"? That is basically what you are proposing. Your kids are entirely too young to be left alone.

Not even remotely the same. I would however leave them upstairs sleeping with their door closed and make a sandwich down in the kitchen with the monitor on. :rolleyes: If I can see the door, (I'm talking a few feet here) and I can hear with a monitor, I see no difference.
So, you are saying, you wouldn't even sit right outside the closed hotel door with a monitor to chat while the kids are sleeping? Because to me, it's the same thing as sitting in the pool 10 feet away. :confused3 As long as I can see and hear...I'm good to go.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. I know that it's just a few feet away. But, you won't be able to see if someone comes into the room (God forbid). It's not worth it..

Me neither. If given the chance, I usually take a nap with the kids while in Disney. It makes me tired!

I honestly really try to never post negative things to anyone because I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and parenting styles but have you ever heard of Madeleine McCann? She was a little girl who was kidnapped from her resort room while her parents ate dinner right across the way. Please do not do this even if the room is literally right next to the pool. What if there were a fire? I really hope you are just kidding.

This is totally different as well. The parents were far far from the room. Like 400 ft or something and the door was not at all visible.
And, what if there was a fire upstairs in my house.
No, I don't ever go to the store and leave my kids...that is ludicrous. In fact, I don't even leave them with sitters unless it is my mom. I don't leave them in grocery store/Ikea play spaces to shop. They are homeschooled, so they are not even left at school. LOL We are hyper protective.
I'm *not* talking going for a swim for 3 hours 100 feet away. I do not see any problem leaving them sleeping as long as I am watching the door(from feet away) and have a monitor for a short period of time.

I don't know where you are planning on staying but I don't know of any resort room that is only 10 feet away from the actual pool. I just don't understand how you could relax knowing your kids were in the room by themselves but that is just me. I would think if someone saw you and security was called there could be a whole lot of trouble for you. Is it worth it? Again, I am sorry, as I said I usually don't like to post on these kinds of threads.

No matter how close your room is to the pool, you are talking at least 30 feet. Probably more. Plus, you are not in a quiet environment. You have been to Disney before so I assume you know how loud the pools are. You won't hear that monitor. Plus, if something happens, and you seem to be banking on nothing happening, then you have not only hear it but make your way out of the pool, to your stuff to grab a room key and then to your room. By that time, too late.

I mean this as an honest question without judgment...

You seem certain that it wouldn't be a problem under the right circumstances. So why did you post the question?

I don't know where you are planning on staying but I don't know of any resort room that is only 10 feet away from the actual pool. I just don't understand how you could relax knowing your kids were in the room by themselves but that is just me. I would think if someone saw you and security was called there could be a whole lot of trouble for you. Is it worth it? Again, I am sorry, as I said I usually don't like to post on these kinds of threads.

CBR has rooms by quiet pools that you just about fall into the pool from your room door. This is what gave me the idea. I said, "Next trip we are getting one of these rooms." Really. You could almost kick the chair to the poolside table by doing a long stretch out your door. What is the difference between sitting outside the door of your room on the ground and going 10 more feet or so to the edge of the pool? :confused3

Honestly, I am totally shocked with the replies thus far. Of all the crazy stuff I have read on here. LOL

I mean this as an honest question without judgment...

You seem certain that it wouldn't be a problem under the right circumstances. So why did you post the question?

I honestly wanted to see how many others have/would do this. I do feel fine doing it, and definitely only under the "right" circumstances. I saw someone say they were doing this, in passing, on another thread and wondered what the majority "rule" would be. I'm pretty shocked. Like I said, this coming from a mom who doesn't leave her kids anywhere or with anyone. :confused3

It sounds like you already have your mind made up and your justifications for why this is safe. I'm sorry but no way would I leave them alone and you may really want to check the laws/rules there.

You could see the door and hear with the baby monitor (which may or may not work by the pool) at 100 feet BUT would you see a fire or smell smoke in the room?? Could you be there quick enough to stop a choking child before they suffer an anoxic brain injury or worse?? It can and has happened to children.

ETA: I just reread and you said a few feet not 100 feet but still, one child that I have followed's blog choked on something while his mother was in the house using the bathroom. There is a big difference between being outside a door and being a "few feet" away.

Not saying I would or wouldn't do this but just trying to figure it out. Not to OP but to other people. Do you put the kids to bed at night and sit outside on a warm summer night. Can you see your door? can you see all your doors and windows? Someone could come into your house while your sitting outside. Do you ever stand outside and talk to your neighbours?
If the pool is in fullview of the door and they have a monitor, don't see a problem with it. Let the older ones know that if they wake up and you aren't there just look outside or holler. I have seen a hotel where rooms face the pool. OP never said if she was staying on site so we can not judge.

Just wondering if anyone posted is a smoker. Would you go to the smoking area and have a cigarette and leave your kids in the room alone, don't say your spouse would be there cause what if they are not.

You could see the door and hear with the baby monitor (which may or may not work by the pool) at 100 feet BUT would you see a fire or smell smoke in the room?? Could you be there quick enough to stop a choking child before they suffer an anoxic brain injury or worse?? It can and has happened to children.

I said there is no way I would consider going 100 feet. Of course the monitor works. It's further away in my own home, if one is downstairs and the kids are sleeping upstairs. I most likely would see and smell smoke or get to a choking child as quick or quicker than I would in my own home.

CBR has rooms by quiet pools that you just about fall into the pool from your room door. This is what gave me the idea. I said, "Next trip we are getting one of these rooms." Really. You could almost kick the chair to the poolside table by doing a long stretch out your door. What is the difference between sitting outside the door of your room on the ground and going 10 more feet or so to the edge of the pool? :confused3

Honestly, I am totally shocked with the replies thus far. Of all the crazy stuff I have read on here. LOL

We have a pool at our house and I wouldn't leave my 13 month old alone in the house while I sat outside swimming and my pool is about 10 feet from my house. Even with a monitor but that is just me. It sounds like you have made up your mind so good luck.

It's terribly irresponsible.

God forbid there's an emergency like a fire and your 8 year old is responsible for getting the 6 and 2 year old out of the room.

But more realistically, what if one of the children fall and hurt themselves, what if one has a nightmare, what if one throws up out of nowhere. It will take you several minutes to make it out of the pool and back to and into the room, all the while leaving your children to look for their parents.

If swimming is that important to you, make time for it during the course of your day. And if you can't fit it in, swimming will be one of the many sacrifices you have to make being a parent...

We have a pool at our house and I wouldn't leave my 13 month old alone in the house while I sat outside swimming and my pool is about 10 feet from my house. Even with a monitor but that is just me. It sounds like you have made up your mind so good luck.

I wouldn't either because I wouldn't be able to see all the entrances to the house, windows doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter