hashimotos' s and thyroid my dd age 7

I haven't read the whole thread. I have Graves Disease and I believe my mom has Hashimotos and I am dreading that my daughter will end up with something and when it will occur (it happened earlier for me than my mother).
Anyways thyroid can be tricky -- when my mom was going through it 30 years ago it was tough going. At times non-endo doctors would act like she was making it all up!
In today's times I think the hardest part is getting the right level of meds and then monitoring it to make sure you don't swing one way or another. Sounds like it should be easy but not so much in my experience.
As far as your daughter goes, I really feel for her. At 33 years old, the logistics with my disease gives me anxiety and just the knowledge that my body can't work right on its own really bothers me. I have had two miscarriages in one year and that is just notching up my anxiety. I am getting off track but I can just imagine that your DD is having all sorts of adult type emotions and it is hard for her to express them. I wish I had some words of wisdom or help.. just empathy for both of you. ((HUGS))

Cierese said:
That's part of why I posted it. Not everyone has exactly the same symptoms and thats why its so hard to even consider diagnosing. And as for the blood sugar drops, I have the same thing... Not sure if its directly related to the Hashimoto's but could definitely be autoimmune related. Its crazy how many different types of autoimmune disorders/dysfunctions there are. And no, I wasn't actually diagnosed when I was 12 with the RA. It was when I was 22. I had been having the RA pain since 12, but not diagnosed until I was having some blood work done trying to rule out multiple causes of the joint pain and had a breast cancer scare at the same time. Of course, then, the only option I was given for the pain was pain killers. Oh, I guess I should also tell you that one of the primary care docs prescribed me an advair inhaler for the difficulty breathing/anxiety. Said it was my airways closing up and the lack of oxygen causing the anxiety. That would totally make sense if it was an airway issue... LOL. Sorry. I look back and some of the crazy doctors I've dealt with other the years and have to laugh at their 'ideas' on what was wrong with me. (All of those doctors quick to prescribe something but not a single one questioned diet... Same goes for my oldest and his ADHD, depression, and whole list of other things he's been diagnosed with.) Oh.. here's another funny for you... I had an peds orthopedic misdiagnose my daughter's scoliosis with 'flexible flat foot'. The second orthopedic said her scoliosis 'wasn't that bad' and there was 'no way the pinched nerves were affecting her digestion'.

Glad you seemed to have found a doctor that's taking a proactive approach to your DD's actual issues and complications they cause. Sorry about the lack of family support, but definitely great to have her father there helping you out. I'm here if you ever need to vent though :)

Thank you so much. I can always use someone to vent. Lol my husband always thinks when I'm venting I'm taking it out on him. I try not to tell my parents everything as it would just worry them.

Mariep26 said:
I haven't read the whole thread. I have Graves Disease and I believe my mom has Hashimotos and I am dreading that my daughter will end up with something and when it will occur (it happened earlier for me than my mother).
Anyways thyroid can be tricky -- when my mom was going through it 30 years ago it was tough going. At times non-endo doctors would act like she was making it all up!
In today's times I think the hardest part is getting the right level of meds and then monitoring it to make sure you don't swing one way or another. Sounds like it should be easy but not so much in my experience.
As far as your daughter goes, I really feel for her. At 33 years old, the logistics with my disease gives me anxiety and just the knowledge that my body can't work right on its own really bothers me. I have had two miscarriages in one year and that is just notching up my anxiety. I am getting off track but I can just imagine that your DD is having all sorts of adult type emotions and it is hard for her to express them. I wish I had some words of wisdom or help.. just empathy for both of you. ((HUGS))

Wow I'm so shocked that so many people are responding to this thread and are going threw things my daughter is going threw. Its very touching to me that people do really care. We are taking one day at a time. Its just hard to see her go threw all of these "grown up" conditions. I suffer from anxiety issues myself and I can't imagine a child ( my child) feeling that way. It has only been since this past April that she was diagnosed I know we still have a while until everything comes together and we find a happy medium for her. Thank you again. It really does mean so much to me.

After reading everyone's posts on here that ate offering their experience of what they are going threw and can understand what my DD is going threw at such a young age. The people in the beginning of my post are kind of left in the dark not really knowing how severe this is. I really hope they read everyone's posts to gain knowledge of what this disease REALLY is.

After reading everyone's posts on here that ate offering their experience of what they are going threw and can understand what my DD is going threw at such a young age. The people in the beginning of my post are kind of left in the dark not really knowing how severe this is. I really hope they read everyone's posts to gain knowledge of what this disease REALLY is.

no one was bashing you. Simply trying to correct some incorrect assumptions you have about (1) hashimotos and (2) low blood sugars. however your continued reference to it makes it seem that you'd simply like an argument.

(also, it is "through" not "threw". )

I am also just recently diagnosed with Hashimotos. I have symptoms of anxiety, infertility, cold, dazed, memory fog, cannot focus, tired, IBS, etc. I have DEFINITELY heard of anxiety relating to hashimotos.
PLEASE READ:

I have been researching and researching and have found many success stories about the Paleo Diet and it treating hashimotos. Gluten plays a big part in the thyroid. I highly suggest you google either paleo diet and hashimotos or gluten free and hashimotos. It is worth a try even for just a trial period. Any questions you can inbox me.

monica9 said:
I am also just recently diagnosed with Hashimotos. I have symptoms of anxiety, infertility, cold, dazed, memory fog, cannot focus, tired, IBS, etc. I have DEFINITELY heard of anxiety relating to hashimotos.
PLEASE READ:

I have been researching and researching and have found many success stories about the Paleo Diet and it treating hashimotos. Gluten plays a big part in the thyroid. I highly suggest you google either paleo diet and hashimotos or gluten free and hashimotos. It is worth a try even for just a trial period. Any questions you can inbox me.

Thank you. I just recently read somewhere about the gluten in the diet. I found it very informative.

My 11 yr old has had this for a year. She takes her meds every morning and her levels have finally stabilized. We make sure she takes it on an empty stomach.

There are more ways to treat anxiety than with meds. A counselor could help you with that.

I have had Hashimoto's for 6 years now. I also had issues with anxiety until my Synthroid dosage was figured out. I had terrible mood swings on top of it.

Thanks for the info. Her original level when diagnosed was 551!! The two drs at the time never saw it that high. We already went threw the nodules on the thyroid. She did get a biopsy done thank God no cancer. Every time she has had her levels check they keep increasing her meds. Hopefully we can find a good dose for her.

My dosage was started very low and it took nearly two years of increasing the dose at small increments every 3 months to find the right dose. Now I go every 6 months to have my blood tested. It's been 3 years since I've had to have it adjusted. It definitely takes time.

worth mentioning that the medicine should be kept between certain temps (i believe it is 65-78 or something like that) and it should always be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after you eat. The worst food you can eat before or after taking a pill (if it is within one hour of taking it or 2-3 hours after) is anything with calcium as it interferes with your bodys ability to absorb the medicine. Also soy products can interfere with your thyroid as well. I take mine at night, but most people take it in the morning. I find if i take it in the morning I have trouble falling asleep at night. My doc has never heard of anything like that, but I noticed that it was much easier to sleep if i take it before bed. Also it helps me control my weight because I can't midnight snack! (of course at 7 thats not an issue for your dd).

Beware of anything with grapefruit as well. I did not know that it could interact with the medication and cause an allergic reaction until my mouth and tongue began to tingle, my lips turned red, and my body broke out into hives. I went to my doctor and discovered this.

Wow I'm so shocked that so many people are responding to this thread and are going threw things my daughter is going threw. Its very touching to me that people do really care. We are taking one day at a time. Its just hard to see her go threw all of these "grown up" conditions. I suffer from anxiety issues myself and I can't imagine a child ( my child) feeling that way. It has only been since this past April that she was diagnosed I know we still have a while until everything comes together and we find a happy medium for her. Thank you again. It really does mean so much to me.

I came back to read the whole thread (was working when I posted earlier). I also applaud you for getting the second opinion. Finding a good endo is hard, I can't even imagine how hard it is to find a good pedi endo (I live in the Boston area so I am lucky enough to have access to incredible doctors and hospitals). I agree about taking it one day at a time.. some days will be great and others not so much. You should rest assured that you are being an advocate for her and working hard to care for her physical and emotional needs. Remember to take care of yourself too -- she needs you healthy and happy as well. ((hugs))

I also applaud you for getting the second opinion. Finding a good endo is hard, I can't even imagine how hard it is to find a good pedi endo (I live in the Boston area so I am lucky enough to have access to incredible doctors and hospitals).

I agree about having a good endo. My pedi endo was amazing, and she worked with me and my parents to make sure I felt good, not just looked good on paper. I have growth hormone deficiency and hypothyroidism, and I do better at the higher end of normal and willingly take the trade off with the potential side effects of the levothyroxine. They keep testing me for diabetes, because a lot of the symptoms are the same, but it hasn't shown up yet.

Don't lose hope, it will get better, but you may have to fight for it. I wish you the best of luck.

grafxgirl said:
I have had Hashimoto's for 6 years now. I also had issues with anxiety until my Synthroid dosage was figured out. I had terrible mood swings on top of it.

Yes my DD has terrible mood swings.

Mariep26 said:
I came back to read the whole thread (was working when I posted earlier). I also applaud you for getting the second opinion. Finding a good endo is hard, I can't even imagine how hard it is to find a good pedi endo (I live in the Boston area so I am lucky enough to have access to incredible doctors and hospitals). I agree about taking it one day at a time.. some days will be great and others not so much. You should rest assured that you are being an advocate for her and working hard to care for her physical and emotional needs. Remember to take care of yourself too -- she needs you healthy and happy as well. ((hugs))

Thank you. Yes making her feel better is my number one goal. Getting that second opinion was just a natural thing. There was no way I was dealing with a dr as arrogant as he was.

grafxgirl said:
Beware of anything with grapefruit as well. I did not know that it could interact with the medication and cause an allergic reaction until my mouth and tongue began to tingle, my lips turned red, and my body broke out into hives. I went to my doctor and discovered this.

See how many things are left unknown about this? I would have never known about her not having grapefruit. Thank you.

My daughter has Hashimoto's and also has some social anxiety like your daughter...but my daughter had the anxiety I think way before the Hashimoto's was diagnosed.
Consider taking her to a Physicatrist...my daughter is on Zoloft and it has made a very noticible difference in her participation in school activities.

bopper said:
My daughter has Hashimoto's and also has some social anxiety like your daughter...but my daughter had the anxiety I think way before the Hashimoto's was diagnosed.
Consider taking her to a Physicatrist...my daughter is on Zoloft and it has made a very noticible difference in her participation in school activities.

I'm really trying not to medicate her. I myself have some anxiety issues and I know what its like to be dependent on meds. She is only 7 years old and I don't want to have her on meds at this point but thank you for your input.

Well today I had the conversation with my dd's teacher. Her grades are rapidly falling. The teacher told me my dd's almost seems confused when it comes to certain things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter