hashimotos' s and thyroid my dd age 7

tcp0421

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am new to this thread never thought I would be posting on it. We found out that my DD who is 7 has hashimoto's disease along with very very hypothyroid. Her numbers are off the chart. Plus it's rare for children to have the disease she has. Anyway just wondering if anyone out there has hashimotos. She has been going threw a ton of changes and wondering if its a part of her condition. She gets very panicky in small crowded stores worries all the time about little things. Gets very uneasy when their are crowds of people around her. ( at Disney waiting in line ) forget it. She rather skip the ride. We were just at WDW this past weekend I thought if I got a GAC it would help. Let me tell you it made a whole lot of difference. Much happier time we had. No panicking unless we went into a store. We learned if my husband put her on his shoulders she was also much better. It's like she has her own space up there.

Welcome! I have a Hashimoto's Thyroiditis diagnosis and I've been dealing with hypothyroid issues since my mid-20s. I really don't think the anxiety issues are directly related to Hashimoto's, but since the thyroid controls things like stamina and tiredness it could be indirectly related. But then again it could manifest differently in someone so young. If the GAC has been helpful in the past, I wouldn't hesitate to request it again in the future if the same issues are present; since GAC isn't diagnosis-related it shouldn't matter what is the root cause of her needs. Good luck getting her thyroid levels normalized, but once that happens she should be feeling better!

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread never thought I would be posting on it. We found out that my DD who is 7 has hashimoto's disease along with very very hypothyroid. Her numbers are off the chart. Plus it's rare for children to have the disease she has. Anyway just wondering if anyone out there has hashimotos. She has been going threw a ton of changes and wondering if its a part of her condition. She gets very panicky in small crowded stores worries all the time about little things. Gets very uneasy when their are crowds of people around her. ( at Disney waiting in line ) forget it. She rather skip the ride. We were just at WDW this past weekend I thought if I got a GAC it would help. Let me tell you it made a whole lot of difference. Much happier time we had. No panicking unless we went into a store. We learned if my husband put her on his shoulders she was also much better. It's like she has her own space up there.

My daughter has had hashimotos since she was young, it's not all that rare. And it's very easily treated with medication. Nothing you mentioned is probably related to the thyroid.

I have Hashimoto's (been diagnosed last year, probably had my first flare up in 2001 though). Hashimoto's itself is rather common but I haven't heard of it in a child. Make sure to get her thyroid levels to a "feel good level", not to what the charts say is "normal" but to what she feels "normal" with (for me that's close to hyperthyroidism at least on paper).

From my experience - yes, being panicky can be a sign of being hypothyroid. I experience (rather mild - but then I am an adult and I have never really been prone to any kind of mental health problem before) panic and anxiety attacks when my thyroid levels are off. I can't handel crowds, I get very emotional easily, cry a lot, I even suffer from PMS which I don't when my thyroid levels are good (add fatigue, lack in concentration, memory problems...). I watched fireworks at the local fair for the first time in 10 years last year, in the crowd and I was fine.
But really, that's only my personal experience. From that I would say it may be a symptom, but it doesn't have to be. Treat her hypothyroidism and have an eye on the changes you have seen in her personality.

I have had this at least since i was 21 but I think longer. It can be a challange and absolutly can cause anxiety and stress problems. I almost went over the deep end right before I got diagnosed. I couldn't drive, I couldn't leave my house alone (I was actually properly diagnosed around age 26 I am 30 now but the symptoms started when I was 21). It was completely awful. My hair fell out in clumps, I was angry ALL the time, and I would get very dizzy.

The meds help alot, but with hashimotos your bodys thyroid production can vary based on how many antibodies are attacking the thyroid. So you can swing from hypo to hyper at any time if your thyroid manages to increase production on its own.

I have blood tests every 3 months and it took about 2 years to find my dosage and then I got pregnant and it took 1.5 years after that to find my new dose. I started on 50, went up to 75 a couple years later and now after about 4 years I am at 88. My grandmother was up to 145 I believe when she passed away in her 80's. Your DD will most likely have an increase in dosage as she ages and her body kills her thyroid. There is also an increase risk of thyroid cancer, but it is directly related to how soon treatment is begun (sooner the better).

If I am having a bad day anxiety wise I find it helps to count to ten and just focus on nothing but breathing. This doesn't happen very often any more and is usually associated with PMS.

It will take at least 6 weeks for the meds to build up in her system and for me it took a bit over a year for their full effect. My highest labs were a 14 and now they hover around 2.

Thanks for the info. Her original level when diagnosed was 551!! The two drs at the time never saw it that high. We already went threw the nodules on the thyroid. She did get a biopsy done thank God no cancer. Every time she has had her levels check they keep increasing her meds. Hopefully we can find a good dose for her.

buffettgirl said:
My daughter has had hashimotos since she was young, it's not all that rare. And it's very easily treated with medication. Nothing you mentioned is probably related to the thyroid.

Sorry but the thyroid I'd not easily treated. Maybe in your daughters case it was but not in my daughters case. We have been struggling since April.

6 months isn't a long time. Even though it feels like it. Most are pretty well on level in a year.

I'd say there might be unrelated issues.

Going during the slow time of the year should help also.

Granny square said:
6 months isn't a long time. Even though it feels like it. Most are pretty well on level in a year.

6 months is very long when I am talking about my daughter who is only 7. Been through a cancer scare once already.

Granny square said:
I'd say there might be unrelated issues.

Going during the slow time of the year should help also.

I'm also not just talking about Disney this is a part of her everyday life now.

6 months isn't a long time. It takes years for some of us to get our kids on the right doses. I DO know what I'm speaking about. As it is now my daughter is taking this astronomically high amount of levoxyl because nothing seems to work and she's had it now for years and years and years and years and years.

That said, of all possible diseases to have, it is very easily treated with medication and the side effects are almost none.

Better said. We tried all combinations of synthroid and cytomel. Our dr has a couple hundred kid cases and we've connected with a dozen or so. Things get better and not terribly difficult. It isn't like diabetes and each day is life threatening. My niece was diagnosed at 4.

It can seem challenging when first diagnosed and trying to get to the right dosage, however once there she will stabilize and it will be relatively simple. Quarterly or bi-annual check-ups to test her levels, but the medications are relatively low cost and non-obtrusive to daily life. Once you reach maintenance stage life gets easier. She'll feel better and some of her anxiety issues may lessen as well once her body "normalizes." Hang in there, you'll make it! :grouphug:

I just am saying everyone is different. One child may have it and not have any symptoms and an other child could have every symptom in the book. I was just saying what MY DD is going through. Yes every symptom she is having has to do with her thyroid or her thyroid meds. As for hashimoto's it is rare that children to get that.

worth mentioning that the medicine should be kept between certain temps (i believe it is 65-78 or something like that) and it should always be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after you eat. The worst food you can eat before or after taking a pill (if it is within one hour of taking it or 2-3 hours after) is anything with calcium as it interferes with your bodys ability to absorb the medicine. Also soy products can interfere with your thyroid as well. I take mine at night, but most people take it in the morning. I find if i take it in the morning I have trouble falling asleep at night. My doc has never heard of anything like that, but I noticed that it was much easier to sleep if i take it before bed. Also it helps me control my weight because I can't midnight snack! (of course at 7 thats not an issue for your dd).

worth mentioning that the medicine should be kept between certain temps (i believe it is 65-78 or something like that) and it should always be taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after you eat. The worst food you can eat before or after taking a pill (if it is within one hour of taking it or 2-3 hours after) is anything with calcium as it interferes with your bodys ability to absorb the medicine. Also soy products can interfere with your thyroid as well. I take mine at night, but most people take it in the morning. I find if i take it in the morning I have trouble falling asleep at night. My doc has never heard of anything like that, but I noticed that it was much easier to sleep if i take it before bed. Also it helps me control my weight because I can't midnight snack! (of course at 7 thats not an issue for your dd).

And should always be taken with a full glass of water. I know sometimes my Rx comes with these labels, other times it's not noted. But the empty stomach and amount of water is very important to make sure the medication is properly absorbed by the body.

auralia, I'm just the opposite...I take it in the AM because I had trouble sleeping when I took it at bedtime

...She has been going threw a ton of changes and wondering if its a part of her condition. ...

I just am saying everyone is different. One child may have it and not have any symptoms and an other child could have every symptom in the book. ...

OP, my apologies for misunderstanding your original post. I thought you were questioning whether your daughter's issues could be due to her Hashimoto's diagnosis. You are definitely correct that any disease/condition could manifest itself differently in each individual even though the diagnosis is the same. People here are just trying to offer our experience with this condition...Anyway, you need to do what's right for your DD regardless of what others indicate is best for them. Good luck and may this journey with your daughter become smoother as time passes!

auralia said:

Yes I did know about her taking her meds on an empty stomach. Didn't know about it being stored at certain temperature ( thank you). When she first started taking her meds (she is on synthroid) we were giving it to her before bedtime. Then noticed she was very restless while sleeping. Then we though before school. Anyway now we give it to her when she gets home from school at 3:00. That way her stomach is empty. Her dr just upped her dose from 50 mcg's to 75. She uses me as her security when she has her meltdowns and also has her favorite Disney stuffed animals for to sleep with. Like I said in one of my posts we went through a cancer scare in the summer. Dr did an ultrasound on her thyroid and found 3 large nodules. ( which is from the hashimoto's). Had to get a biopsy done in the hospital. Took a few weeks to get results back. Thank God it wasn't.

You might want to google daddy doll. They are dolls they make with your photo and can also have a recording of your voice added to them. My dd has one from the last time her dad was away with the military. She often slept with it when she was missing him. Perhaps you could get one made of you.

auralia said:
You might want to google daddy doll. They are dolls they make with your photo and can also have a recording of your voice added to them. My dd has one from the last time her dad was away with the military. She often slept with it when she was missing him. Perhaps you could get one made of you.

I wanted to tell you that my husband is also in the military. I do remember seeing those dolls when he was overseas. Thanks for reminding me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter