Happily Ever After viewing spot - avoiding crowds > seeing projections

Not to hijack the thread but quick question for you WDW firework experts... if we want a spot in the hub, what time would you grab a spot? We'll be watching the first night so I'm expecting some craziness! Any spot in the hub better than others? We're willing to put in the work and wait awhile. 🤩
Pre Covid, we never had any trouble getting a spot in the middle of the hub 10-15 minutes beforehand. First night they return? Whole new ball game. I would say probably an hour, hour and a half maybe?

I get what you are saying and appreciate the feedback! It sounds like a lovely show. Ideally we would definitely try to see the projections and experience the full show as it is intended, but for our group I just don't think it will work. We have three kids with serious sensory needs, two who are autistic, among the bunch, plus an ECV. I would rather them be able to enjoy at least some part of the show (a less than ideal view of the fireworks and maybe a bit of the projections) rather than lose on everything and be stuck. When it goes badly, it goes VERY badly and we really don't want the kids to suffer for something that is supposed to be fun. The terrace area or maybe even a bit farther back toward Tomorrowland if that is less crowded and doesn't require them to be still in one place for as long sound promising!
This might not work for you as it wouldn't allow for an easy escape if necessary, but I watched the fireworks from the roped off ECV area a few years back. We were a party of 3 and one of us was in an ECV. It was a fabulous experience and not very crowded inside the roped off area. I don't know what the area is typically like, and everything might change when fireworks return this summer, but it could be something you can look into on the day of. Have a wonderful trip!!

Open spots in the HUB 10-15 minutes prior? How many people did you stand in front of who had been waiting an hour to get that spot. :)
Nobody, usually stood along a rail by one of the fountains. Never an issue. Either way, if there was open space, that's open for anyone to stand in. You aren't really blocking anyone's view anyway.

We have kids (and honestly, adults) who are very excited to see fireworks when we are in Disney, but also just as happy to skip the part about getting super squished in the fireworks madness. :) I know plenty of you can relate. It was very unpleasant on our last trip several years back (pre-HEA) when grown ups were nearly mowing down our littles with their own strollers to get to a better spot before the show and then to get to a shop or to the exits after. Not great. This time around, we would rather just find a quiet-ish spot to chill out, see the fireworks and not worry about having the full experience. I get that that means we won't see the projections or an ideal view of the fireworks themselves, but it seems worth it to miss the insanity that I imagine will be Magic Kingdom on July 2nd. (We will be in Epcot on July 1st.)

Since we haven't ever seen HEA, I'm not sure where we should target for a plopping down spot. From what I read, maybe around Liberty Square or Frontierland, or Little Mermaid/behind the carousel? I was thinking it might be a nice idea to choose a spot near a ride the kids would like to hit after the show. Does the area near Haunted Mansion have an okay view? Thunder Mountain? 7 Dwarves? I get that these spots will not let us see the fireworks as they were designed, but I don't think the kids will care that much. They can look up, I assume, and see the fireworks sort of around them and above? My recollection from prior fireworks shows that we saw from not in front of the castle is that they looked off center when we were in other parts of the park, or at Contemporary/BLT/Poly/GF.

Anyway, thoughts welcome!! We are so excited to see fireworks returning in time for our trip. :) Now I really really really hope the Epcot monorail comes back soon. Like next week.

We have never had much luck other than the time we went to Caseys about an hour prior to the show. Ate and got a great seat and view!

We watched in 2019 from right in front of Crystal Palace. It was pretty good viewing and not as bad as the crush right at the hub. We've also watched from behind the castle on a different trip. You don't get the projection but you do get the fireworks. Because the fireworks are part of the storyline vs. the main attraction you can get longer periods with no fireworks but we still found it enjoyable and worth not fighting the crowds on the particular visit.

We have watched from near the exit behind main street near the Plaza Cafe and had pretty decent views from a distance. We also have had luck finding a spot on the spokes to Tomorrowland without a huge crowd (not a perfect view, as some is blocked). Tinkerbell flies right overhead, which is also pretty cool. We also watched from in front of the first aid station/baby care center without huge crowds and somewhat decent views.

After we had seen the show many times with projections, we started watching from behind the castle, near the walls going to New Fantasyland. No crowds and the fireworks kind of burst all around you- over Cinderella's castle and over the Beast's castle. We have the best memories of the kids dancing around to the music back there. We would always then sneak in a few last of their favorite fantasyland rides at the end of the fireworks too if the park was still open to let the crowds file out and enjoy some more park time. Some of my favorite memories and much more relaxing then when we would watch from the hub!

You could try from the train station platform on Mainstreet - I know the train isn’t running but maybe the platform is still open?

We’ve sat at the tables in front of Gastons and there was practically no one back there...the only word of warning I would give is the fireworks are LOUD from back there if that would be an issue for your group.

Open spots in the HUB 10-15 minutes prior? How many people did you stand in front of who had been waiting an hour to get that spot. :)
That’s why I never understood camping out in the hub. Unlike a parade route, camping out for fireworks provides no guarantee someone tall won’t be able to walk up in front of you. But that is their right—disney CMs encourage people to fill in open space on the hub.

It’d be like choosing to camp out at dawn for a spot on a public beach and then getting mad when someone else drops their beach chairs and umbrellas in front of you. That’s just how it works.

That’s why I never understood camping out in the hub. Unlike a parade route, camping out for fireworks provides no guarantee someone tall won’t be able to walk up in front of you. But that is their right—disney CMs encourage people to fill in open space on the hub.

It’d be like choosing to camp out at dawn for a spot on a public beach and then getting mad when someone else drops their beach chairs and umbrellas in front of you. That’s just how it works.

Yeah, but some take it too far. On one trip I had about a foot between myself and the person in front of me. A family was walking through the crowd and I backed up a little to let them pass. They stopped right in front of me and the Dad said "this is a good spot." I let him know real quick it was not. I did offer to allow his little kids to stay in front of me, but him and his wife had to get behind me. Of course the folks behind me were not okay with that either.

It’s always been my experience that 10 -15 minutes before the show you couldn’t get close to the hub. The CM’s were constantly stopping late comers from stopping in the walkways and then stopping them from shoving their way into the crowd that was already formed. It’s why we quit trying for the hub and went for the dessert party. Some people think if they can see concrete, there’s room for them to shove in.

I get what you are saying and appreciate the feedback! It sounds like a lovely show. Ideally we would definitely try to see the projections and experience the full show as it is intended, but for our group I just don't think it will work. We have three kids with serious sensory needs, two who are autistic, among the bunch, plus an ECV. I would rather them be able to enjoy at least some part of the show (a less than ideal view of the fireworks and maybe a bit of the projections) rather than lose on everything and be stuck. When it goes badly, it goes VERY badly and we really don't want the kids to suffer for something that is supposed to be fun. The terrace area or maybe even a bit farther back toward Tomorrowland if that is less crowded and doesn't require them to be still in one place for as long sound promising!

My son is also on the spectrum. We have been able to make it work for him but I know that not all spectrum kids are the same. If you get the DS Pass (Disability Access Service Pass), you might ask the cast member helping you if they can provide an accommodation. If you have not yet used the DAS, or don't know what it is, I highly recommend you google it and consider it's use. It has made all of the difference for our little guy. It has reduced the stress levels 10 fold.

You could try from the train station platform on Mainstreet - I know the train isn’t running but maybe the platform is still open?
Haven’t they had the train station roped off because they use it for characters and the Dapper Dans?

Haven’t they had the train station roped off because they use it for characters and the Dapper Dans?
I’m trying to remember if it’s roped off all the time or just when the characters are there - you’d think I’d know for sure since I’ve been back 3 times since they opened back up…

The last few times I've gone, all the good spots were staked out two hours before the show. Near the fountains is roped off for VIPs. The train station is roped off for vips.

There is a grassy spot in front of Casey's Corner where my family usually watches the fireworks. We get a snack and get there early, but we love it. You can sit down on the grass, its pretty nice.

My son is also on the spectrum. We have been able to make it work for him but I know that not all spectrum kids are the same. If you get the DS Pass (Disability Access Service Pass), you might ask the cast member helping you if they can provide an accommodation. If you have not yet used the DAS, or don't know what it is, I highly recommend you google it and consider it's use. It has made all of the difference for our little guy. It has reduced the stress levels 10 fold.

We will ask at Guest Services! We do have a DAS. Thank you for the suggestions! I don't think we could do Disney without it. Even with the pass it can be challenging. I imagine you know what I mean. ;)

The last few times I've gone, all the good spots were staked out two hours before the show. Near the fountains is roped off for VIPs. The train station is roped off for vips.
Awwww! I haven't stayed near the hub since my kids were in strollers and we were trapped in a massive crowd many years ago....no thank you. Alternate spots around the back areas of the park cut the view a bit but are much more open. Then don't rush to get out with the crowds,enjoy the scenery and relax on your way out. The last time I saw HEA I got there right as it was starting,and and watched from the train station platform...perfect spot and uncrowded. Too bad it's not allowed anymore. At the Contemp the viewing platform is 4th florr I think? just ask a CM working there. it can get full out there too, but not too bad.

For folks driving to MK and planning to leave right after fireworks - I recommend the ferryboat dock at the TTC. You can't see the projections, but the view is great, it's not crowded, they pipe in the music, and you don't have to fight the crowd at the monorail station just after the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter