Happily Ever After viewing spot - avoiding crowds > seeing projections

olive

DIS Veteran
We have kids (and honestly, adults) who are very excited to see fireworks when we are in Disney, but also just as happy to skip the part about getting super squished in the fireworks madness. :) I know plenty of you can relate. It was very unpleasant on our last trip several years back (pre-HEA) when grown ups were nearly mowing down our littles with their own strollers to get to a better spot before the show and then to get to a shop or to the exits after. Not great. This time around, we would rather just find a quiet-ish spot to chill out, see the fireworks and not worry about having the full experience. I get that that means we won't see the projections or an ideal view of the fireworks themselves, but it seems worth it to miss the insanity that I imagine will be Magic Kingdom on July 2nd. (We will be in Epcot on July 1st.)

Since we haven't ever seen HEA, I'm not sure where we should target for a plopping down spot. From what I read, maybe around Liberty Square or Frontierland, or Little Mermaid/behind the carousel? I was thinking it might be a nice idea to choose a spot near a ride the kids would like to hit after the show. Does the area near Haunted Mansion have an okay view? Thunder Mountain? 7 Dwarves? I get that these spots will not let us see the fireworks as they were designed, but I don't think the kids will care that much. They can look up, I assume, and see the fireworks sort of around them and above? My recollection from prior fireworks shows that we saw from not in front of the castle is that they looked off center when we were in other parts of the park, or at Contemporary/BLT/Poly/GF.

Anyway, thoughts welcome!! We are so excited to see fireworks returning in time for our trip. :) Now I really really really hope the Epcot monorail comes back soon. Like next week.

We have kids (and honestly, adults) who are very excited to see fireworks when we are in Disney, but also just as happy to skip the part about getting super squished in the fireworks madness. :) I know plenty of you can relate. It was very unpleasant on our last trip several years back (pre-HEA) when grown ups were nearly mowing down our littles with their own strollers to get to a better spot before the show and then to get to a shop or to the exits after. Not great. This time around, we would rather just find a quiet-ish spot to chill out, see the fireworks and not worry about having the full experience. I get that that means we won't see the projections or an ideal view of the fireworks themselves, but it seems worth it to miss the insanity that I imagine will be Magic Kingdom on July 2nd. (We will be in Epcot on July 1st.)

Since we haven't ever seen HEA, I'm not sure where we should target for a plopping down spot. From what I read, maybe around Liberty Square or Frontierland, or Little Mermaid/behind the carousel? I was thinking it might be a nice idea to choose a spot near a ride the kids would like to hit after the show. Does the area near Haunted Mansion have an okay view? Thunder Mountain? 7 Dwarves? I get that these spots will not let us see the fireworks as they were designed, but I don't think the kids will care that much. They can look up, I assume, and see the fireworks sort of around them and above? My recollection from prior fireworks shows that we saw from not in front of the castle is that they looked off center when we were in other parts of the park, or at Contemporary/BLT/Poly/GF.

Anyway, thoughts welcome!! We are so excited to see fireworks returning in time for our trip. :) Now I really really really hope the Epcot monorail comes back soon. Like next week.
The last time we were there was September 2019. My husband is not a fan of the crowds in the hub so we would sit somewhere near the Beast's castle for a different view. There are some spots where this is a low wall and you can actually sit. You don't get the view of the front of the castle but you do see the fireworks. And, sometimes you will find a few of the casings (if that's what the remains of some of the fireworks are called). We've seen the projection many times so doing this has been a bit of a break from the crowds. Have a great trip!

I know you said you want to avoid crowds/mayhem but for a first ever viewing of HEA I really strongly advise against what you’re asking. This show is not like Wishes where you can just watch it from anywhere and get a decent experience. HEA is an extremely projection heavy show and if all you’re watching is the pyro, you’re missing half of the experience. If you don’t mind being off center, I guess you could try over by Tomorrowland Terrace where the terrace seating normally is for the dessert party. It’s an inferior view but still better than those other spots where you don’t see any of the castle at all. But HEA really deserves to be seen the way it’s intended at least once.

I know you said you want to avoid crowds/mayhem but for a first ever viewing of HEA I really strongly advise against what you’re asking. This show is not like Wishes where you can just watch it from anywhere and get a decent experience. HEA is an extremely projection heavy show and if all you’re watching is the pyro, you’re missing half of the experience. If you don’t mind being off center, I guess you could try over by Tomorrowland Terrace where the terrace seating normally is for the dessert party. It’s an inferior view but still better than those other spots where you don’t see any of the castle at all. But HEA really deserves to be seen the way it’s intended at least once.

I get what you are saying and appreciate the feedback! It sounds like a lovely show. Ideally we would definitely try to see the projections and experience the full show as it is intended, but for our group I just don't think it will work. We have three kids with serious sensory needs, two who are autistic, among the bunch, plus an ECV. I would rather them be able to enjoy at least some part of the show (a less than ideal view of the fireworks and maybe a bit of the projections) rather than lose on everything and be stuck. When it goes badly, it goes VERY badly and we really don't want the kids to suffer for something that is supposed to be fun. The terrace area or maybe even a bit farther back toward Tomorrowland if that is less crowded and doesn't require them to be still in one place for as long sound promising!

The last time we were there was September 2019. My husband is not a fan of the crowds in the hub so we would sit somewhere near the Beast's castle for a different view. There are some spots where this is a low wall and you can actually sit. You don't get the view of the front of the castle but you do see the fireworks. And, sometimes you will find a few of the casings (if that's what the remains of some of the fireworks are called). We've seen the projection many times so doing this has been a bit of a break from the crowds. Have a great trip!

This sounds like a definite possibility! Thank you!!

To me, it's worth the wait to get there super early and reserve a spot on the bridge to Tomorrowland. No, it's not the perfect view but you still see alot of the projections and nobody can squeeze in front of you.

To me, it's worth the wait to get there super early and reserve a spot on the bridge to Tomorrowland. No, it's not the perfect view but you still see alot of the projections and nobody can squeeze in front of you.

Now when you say super early..like, how early? 🤔

For how many people? If it was 2-4 people, I'd say an hour before SHOULD be good. 90 minutes should be good for a big family. Earlier is always better....who knows, a large tour group of 20 may really like that spot and sit down at 7:55pm.?.?

I’m sure Disney will have a dessert party up charge like they did in the past with reserved viewing or a firework cruise maybe keep an eye out for that. Or walk to the grand and sit in front of gasparilla grill, view for fireworks are nice there people sit on the steps and there are some tables or poly beach.

I get what you are saying and appreciate the feedback! It sounds like a lovely show. Ideally we would definitely try to see the projections and experience the full show as it is intended, but for our group I just don't think it will work. We have three kids with serious sensory needs, two who are autistic, among the bunch, plus an ECV. I would rather them be able to enjoy at least some part of the show (a less than ideal view of the fireworks and maybe a bit of the projections) rather than lose on everything and be stuck. When it goes badly, it goes VERY badly and we really don't want the kids to suffer for something that is supposed to be fun. The terrace area or maybe even a bit farther back toward Tomorrowland if that is less crowded and doesn't require them to be still in one place for as long sound promising!
I completely understand! My husband and son are Autistic (pretty sure I am too but never formally diagnosed) and I'm an ambulatory wheelchair user. All of us get super overwhelmed in the "front of castle" crowds and find that dealing with sensory overload isn't worth the projections. We love the spot right in front of Big Top Souvenirs (next to Dumbo). When we watched them last time it was beautiful and relaxing with plenty of places to sit. There's nothing magical about a meltdown, so we are plenty happy when everyone is able to actually enjoy them.

Last edited:
We find there are several spots near Crystal palace/the bridge to adventureland where nobody goes because there are trees partially obscuring the projection view. You can still see a partial view of the projections but walk up 10 mins before and still have some breathing room. I get u want to avoid the crowds, but that area I spoke of is not any more crowded than the theme park is the whole rest of the day. Plus you can make a quick escape to frontier land if it isn’t working out for you.

We find there are several spots near Crystal palace/the bridge to adventureland where nobody goes because there are trees partially obscuring the projection view. You can still see a partial view of the projections but walk up 10 mins before and still have some breathing room. I get u want to avoid the crowds, but that area I spoke of is not any more crowded than the theme park is the whole rest of the day. Plus you can make a quick escape to frontier land if it isn’t working out for you.

Thank you for this suggestion!! I love the quick escape to Frontierland possibility - and honestly, proximity to Dole whips.

If you want to sit someplace outside of MK, there is a patio at one end of the Contemporary where you get a great view of the fireworks. Depends somewhat on where you are staying, but anyone can use that patio area even if not staying there. We stayed at the Contemporary and liked to exit the park before the fireworks to avoid the crowds.

If you want to sit someplace outside of MK, there is a patio at one end of the Contemporary where you get a great view of the fireworks. Depends somewhat on where you are staying, but anyone can use that patio area even if not staying there. We stayed at the Contemporary and liked to exit the park before the fireworks to avoid the crowds.

We are actually staying at the Contemporary! Which patio is this? Thanks!

Not to hijack the thread but quick question for you WDW firework experts... if we want a spot in the hub, what time would you grab a spot? We'll be watching the first night so I'm expecting some craziness! Any spot in the hub better than others? We're willing to put in the work and wait awhile. 🤩

We are actually staying at the Contemporary! Which patio is this? Thanks!

It is on the same floor as Chef Mickey's but the opposite end of that floor (not exactly sure what 'floor' that is considered). There is a gift shop you walk past and then there are several door leading outside. There are also benches where you can sit and watch the fireworks. I don't think most people realize that area is there since it at the far end of that floor facing MK.

Since you are staying at the Contemp, and with the sensory issue you describe, and the potential for meltdowns, I would definitely not be in the park. Walk back to the Contemp and watch from any of the many locations at the end of the floors.
Or, ride the monorail to Polynesian and watch from the beach, the dock at GF, etc.

It is on the same floor as Chef Mickey's but the opposite end of that floor (not exactly sure what 'floor' that is considered). There is a gift shop you walk past and then there are several door leading outside. There are also benches where you can sit and watch the fireworks. I don't think most people realize that area is there since it at the far end of that floor facing MK.
4th floor, Bay Lake Towers side, just underneath the monoail

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter