Hair Color Dilemma If you use Natural Instncts

I went to my hair dresser today and told her of my dilemma with Natural Instincts. She had a suggestion. She said to buy a hair color brand such as Garnier or L'Oreal. Take the bottle of developer and empty out half. Then replace the same amount with water. You want to be sure the color bottle and the developer bottle have the same amount of liquid. Then color per directions. She said that by using half of the developer the cuticle on the hair shaft does not fully open up to take the color. You end up with most of the color coating the hair like the semi permanents and demi permanents do. She also said that Clairol's Nice N Easy permanent hair color has been changed and she would not recommend it. It is harsh on the hair. I asked about roots showing after a while and she told me to go lighter rather than darker if I was between 2 colors. That way the gray won't be as obvious as the color wears off. I hope to try this in the next couple of weeks. To be honest I would prefer not to give Clairol any money for an inferior product. If they go back to the old formula I will be happy to buy it again.

Just thought I would keep everyone up to date. It is now Two weeks and three days since I used the new Natural Instincts. If you look back you will see I left it in for over an hour and I did wash my hair with clairfying shampoo before (12 hours before). Anyway it is still looking pretty good and there is minimal root growth which is not too bad. It is better than I expected but time will tell. I can say it is a million % better than the permanent stuff which made my hair like straw. That being said, I hope I can get a good 3.5 weeks out of it before use a root touch up.

That being said, I hope I can get a good 3.5 weeks out of it before use a root touch up.

Update us again, if you remember. :thumbsup2 I'm going to be needing something soon that covers gray. Otherwise, there's no point.

Update us again, if you remember. :thumbsup2 I'm going to be needing something soon that covers gray. Otherwise, there's no point.
I will update next week. That being said, I look at it as a band aid in the hopes that they bring back the , "good stuff" OR make better directions so everyone knows it is not just a 30 min job.

I went to my hair dresser today and told her of my dilemma with Natural Instincts. She had a suggestion. She said to buy a hair color brand such as Garnier or L'Oreal. Take the bottle of developer and empty out half. Then replace the same amount with water. You want to be sure the color bottle and the developer bottle have the same amount of liquid. Then color per directions. She said that by using half of the developer the cuticle on the hair shaft does not fully open up to take the color. You end up with most of the color coating the hair like the semi permanents and demi permanents do. She also said that Clairol's Nice N Easy permanent hair color has been changed and she would not recommend it. It is harsh on the hair. I asked about roots showing after a while and she told me to go lighter rather than darker if I was between 2 colors. That way the gray won't be as obvious as the color wears off. I hope to try this in the next couple of weeks. To be honest I would prefer not to give Clairol any money for an inferior product. If they go back to the old formula I will be happy to buy it again.
Can you let us know if this works out for you?

Can you let us know if this works out for you?
Just a thought....I became so fed up with the hours wasted at hairdressers and/or having ‘not quite right’ results with home kits, that about 4 years ago, I decided to stop colouring my hair. It was a difficult 2 years; I bought a lot of hats and occasionally, for special occasions, resorted to wash in, wash out dyes but it was so worth the ‘pain’. I love my natural hair colour now. People (even hairdressers) compliment me on it and say that it looks as though I have spent a fortune on highlights and low lights and it suits my skin tone. So if anyone is tempted to go ‘natural’, be brave and do it.

Just a thought....I became so fed up with the hours wasted at hairdressers and/or having ‘not quite right’ results with home kits, that about 4 years ago, I decided to stop colouring my hair. It was a difficult 2 years; I bought a lot of hats and occasionally, for special occasions, resorted to wash in, wash out dyes but it was so worth the ‘pain’. I love my natural hair colour now. People (even hairdressers) compliment me on it and say that it looks as though I have spent a fortune on highlights and low lights and it suits my skin tone. So if anyone is tempted to go ‘natural’, be brave and do it.
You are brave, I do not think people understand the process of going 'natural'. its not just a one and done you need to either cut it very short (not for me) or wait it out (not for me). I always look at people with really great natural hair and think if my hair looked like that, I would do it but I do not think it would judging from my mother's hair.

judging from my mother's hair.
I dithered for that reason. Some of ‘my’ older relatives are white, some slate grey and others salt and pepper, so it was a gamble. I even considered dying it white/grey but that is a performance in itself! It took a couple of years for me to take the plunge and there were times when I nearly gave up. ‘The track’ phase was awful! I kept my hair shoulder length. I just thought that I would mention it in case others are considering it. My 25 year old daughter found her first white hair this month. Major crisis!😂

This coming Friday will be 2 weeks since I tried the "new" Medium Brown. (Did not like the smell! Plus, it comes in a crème tube, but goes on drippy like a liquid.) I will have to color again this weekend. It faded quite a bit and took on a reddish tone. I will try the Brass Free Medium Brown next time. (I still have my stockpile of the old stuff, but I am holding out on using it up - plus I wanted to try out the new formula.)

This coming Friday will be 2 weeks since I tried the "new" Medium Brown. (Did not like the smell! Plus, it comes in a crème tube, but goes on drippy like a liquid.) I will have to color again this weekend. It faded quite a bit and took on a reddish tone. I will try the Brass Free Medium Brown next time. (I still have my stockpile of the old stuff, but I am holding out on using it up - plus I wanted to try out the new formula.)

LOL I have a stock pile to that I got on ebay (only 5 boxes) I am saving for a special occasion. I did the darker color. How long did you leave it on for. What happened to you is what happened to me on the first box when I was still at the ignorant stage and thought it would be just like the previous formulation. I still say e mail the company and complain and the worse part they did not even offer me a coupon! But if more people write they will bring back the 'old formula" as the new and improved liquid.

I did try the method my hair dresser gave me. I used Garnier Fructisse. I used dark golden blonde. I looked at the picture of the color on the box and compared it to the natural instincts color I used. They seemed a good match. However, my hair is much darker than I wanted so the key is to go lighter. I will say it does cover the gray very well and it looks good with highlights. It is just too dark for me. My hair is not frizzy or feel like straw. It is not as soft and smooth as with the old Natural Instincts but it will do. I still have 3 boxes of the old natural instincts which I will use before going on vacations. I will try the Garnier again with a medium blonde this time. Thanks for telling us how you got good results with the new Natural Instincts. I may try that too. I just don't want to give Clairol any money for not really caring about their customers. I may have to get over that!

I did try the method my hair dresser gave me. I used Garnier Fructisse. I used dark golden blonde. I looked at the picture of the color on the box and compared it to the natural instincts color I used. They seemed a good match. However, my hair is much darker than I wanted so the key is to go lighter. I will say it does cover the gray very well and it looks good with highlights. It is just too dark for me. My hair is not frizzy or feel like straw. It is not as soft and smooth as with the old Natural Instincts but it will do. I still have 3 boxes of the old natural instincts which I will use before going on vacations. I will try the Garnier again with a medium blonde this time. Thanks for telling us how you got good results with the new Natural Instincts. I may try that too. I just don't want to give Clairol any money for not really caring about their customers. I may have to get over that!

Yes I know how you feel. L'oreal used to have a semi permanent and it was just as good if not better than the Clairol. I hate that NI is the only game in town. I know some people will look at this thread and think what's the big deal but I think part of the underlying animosity toward Clairol is that as consumers we kind of feel powerless. (Much like with Disney, where they are the only game in town and as such the sky is the limit on their ticket prices etc) The only alternative is to not go there or use the product and it really ticks me off to think that as a consumer I have little to no recourse. I hate to buy NI but having tried the other stuff I know I have to give in and so it gives the company a false sense of how well the product is received. They claim they monitor social media but, is it just me or do you picture them sitting there and laughing at these people who complain and buy the product and think , "We win!". Stepping off the soap box now.

I did try the method my hair dresser gave me. I used Garnier Fructisse. I used dark golden blonde. I looked at the picture of the color on the box and compared it to the natural instincts color I used. They seemed a good match. However, my hair is much darker than I wanted so the key is to go lighter. I will say it does cover the gray very well and it looks good with highlights. It is just too dark for me.

I wonder if it's darker because you dumped out some of the liquid? maybe it made the color more concentrated? How long has it been lasting for you?

I do picture the people at Clairol laughing as they make lots of money on their inferior product. Companies don't seem to care much about the consumer now.

I just did the color with Garnier last weekend but so far it is holding well and my hair is not at all frizzy or strawlike. I dumped out some of the developer and replaced the same volume with water but maybe that made it a bit darker. Next time I am going for medium blonde. If I don't like that color I may have to go back to Natural Instincts and do what Bella the Ball did with leaving it in alot longer.

I do picture the people at Clairol laughing as they make lots of money on their inferior product. Companies don't seem to care much about the consumer now.

I just did the color with Garnier last weekend but so far it is holding well and my hair is not at all frizzy or strawlike. I dumped out some of the developer and replaced the same volume with water but maybe that made it a bit darker. Next time I am going for medium blonde. If I don't like that color I may have to go back to Natural Instincts and do what Bella the Ball did with leaving it in alot longer.

LOL I think I will call L'oreal and tell them that there is a market to bring back their semi permanent. Not kidding. Bali brought back the smooth back bra albeit the elastic on the sides is not as supportive but so many people complained that they brought it back. I just feel like some of these companies are run by men or very young women who think that this will never affect them. LOL

LOL I think I will call L'oreal and tell them that there is a market to bring back their semi permanent. Not kidding. Bali brought back the smooth back bra albeit the elastic on the sides is not as supportive but so many people complained that they brought it back. I just feel like some of these companies are run by men or very young women who think that this will never affect them. LOL And let's face it we all get gray and many men while they would not admit it could use a smooth back bra when they age. :P

I read that Clarol was sold to some other company. They must have been losing money if they needed to be sold. This other company probably thought if they substitute the more expensive ingredients in the Natural Instincts & Nice & Easy with cheaper stuff, that they can recoop their losses for buying Clarol.

I read that Clarol was sold to some other company. They must have been losing money if they needed to be sold. This other company probably thought if they substitute the more expensive ingredients in the Natural Instincts & Nice & Easy with cheaper stuff, that they can recoop their losses for buying Clarol.
It was purchased by Coty who even thought they were still around. Only thing I know that Coty makes is nail polish remover. Perhaps they mixed up the formulas ??:rotfl2:

Okay just found a semi permanent color called OVERTONE. I do not know if it is good or not. I happened to be watching Brad Mondo( and who does not love Brad?) on You Tube and he did a sponsored demo on the product. He use it a while ago before he was sponsored (but I was not in the market then) and it is worth a try. I read the reviews and many gray haired people said it worked well even between coloring. Worth a try. I got espresso brown. https://overtone.co/collections/shop-by-color-brown/ Do not freak out when you see some of the models ....that is not the look I am going for and when I looked at the reviews and photos there were people without the circus colors that many people are in to today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter