Hair Color Dilemma If you use Natural Instncts

I happened to be in KMart yesterday and checked out what they had. Surprisingly, there were a few of the older boxes left. Not my color, but you might want to check it out.

I happened to be in KMart yesterday and checked out what they had. Surprisingly, there were a few of the older boxes left. Not my color, but you might want to check it out.
I saw it was available on line at KM and I went crazy was prepared to buy 20 boxes ....but then when I tried to put it in my cart it would not go. They are going for 28.00 a box on Ebay so I figured that if I got 20 at 8.00 it would be like one trip to the hair dresser for a cut and color. I also figured that if I bought 20 months worth Clariol would by then have rectified the situation with their next incarnation of the "New and Improved" NI.

Thank you! And I am going back to the NI tried a different color not a lot of hope but using Madison Reed last time at 20.00 a box my color did not last more than a week and a half and that is permanent so if that is the case, I might as well use the stuff that does not make my hair look like straw. Six of one half dozen of the other.

Another thing you can do on eBay is set an email "Alert" for any time someone lists the product. Do a search for "Natural Instincts (your color) NEW." Maybe some other descriptions you need. Near the top, a pop-up box will come up saying you can save the search & be alerted. You can also set up more than one email alert, depending on what description(s) you include or specify.

I do this for a rare tool I need. I get alerts every so often. So I don't need to keep actively searching for it. You may get alerts more often as Sellers realize people want these boxes with the old ammonia formula.

Okay so I used the New Dark Brown 4 not 4w(which apparently has lots of red and left me with the red roots) and left it in for an hour....(hair dresser said since it coats the hair it does not hurt it) . I have the old shine and color back how long it will last is anyone's guess but sadly there is noting in my opinion to compare to it when it comes to my hair. I pre-washed as always with a clarifying shampoo and put the color on the roots with a brush this time. It looks good I walked this morning and it did not frizz.....Oh and I also left the conditioner on for 25 minutes. My only regret is that I did not wait 12 hours after clarifying it to color it but I just could not stand the way it looked before b/c my scalp is itchy from using the blow drier twice which I know is not good. Don't know if this will help anyone.

Thanks for your experience. Did you put the color on dry hair or damp hair? I thought it was strange the new directions said to put it on dry hair. I may give it a try based on your experience.

Thanks for your experience. Did you put the color on dry hair or damp hair? I thought it was strange the new directions said to put it on dry hair. I may give it a try based on your experience.

Probably they are hoping the dry hair will be thirstier and thus absorb the pigments into the hair strands better. Whereas before, the ammonia opened up the hair shaft.

Well I washed my hair first and then dried it but there was a bit of dampness in it. I did not realize that old directions said put in damp hair....I ALWAYS put in dry hair ...LOL. Maybe it would have lasted longer if I had put it in damp.. As far as I know and remember, NI did not have any ammonia in it. I will update the wear ability after I wash it. I went on line and looked at the suggestions for applying any semi-permanent color and it said wash it less frequently if possible (like we could not figure that one out), I used to wash my hair every two days whether it needed it or not and now, since I am home for the summer, I will try to see how long I can go without washing it and still have it look good. It is possible it can go for 3 days.

I am glad I am not the only one. The new formula does not cover the gray and the color wears off quickly. I even went around to several stores to buy out the older formula while I could. I only got 3 boxes unfortunately. My hair dresser recommended this for me as I have thin, fine hair. I see her at the end of the month and I will be asking her for another recommendation.
I did the same thing and just used the last box this week. I hate the new formula! Had I known that was going to change I would have really stocked up! I loved how shiny my hair was after using it.

To be honest with you guys, the old formula hasn't seemed to last as long as it did in the past either. (I stocked up and have several boxes of the old formula left.) I switched shampoos and I think it depends on the shampoo on how long the color lasts. I bought a box of the new formula (on sale plus with a coupon!) so I am going to try it this weekend and see how it goes.

Circling back to add that I stopped by the CVS in our small-ish town and saw that they had a mix of the old and new...including two boxes of the old formula in a decent color! Snapped those up - may need to check out some other out-of-the-way drugstores over the weekend.....

I went on line and looked at the suggestions for applying any semi-permanent color and it said wash it less frequently if possible (like we could not figure that one out), I used to wash my hair every two days whether it needed it or not and now, since I am home for the summer, I will try to see how long I can go without washing it and still have it look good. It is possible it can go for 3 days.

Maybe try one of those dry shampoos? Although they are basically just cornstarch & fragrance to absorb oil & sweat. You can sprinkle some onto a brush and brush through really well.

Maybe try one of those dry shampoos? Although they are basically just cornstarch & fragrance to absorb oil & sweat. You can sprinkle some onto a brush and brush through really well.
If you have old panty hose or a piece of old towel to put over the comb(push teeth through) it will take out the dry shampoo and make your hair more shiny. I realize that there are not a lot of pantyhose around but you can also put a knee high over the comb or brush.

To be honest with you guys, the old formula hasn't seemed to last as long as it did in the past either. (I stocked up and have several boxes of the old formula left.) I switched shampoos and I think it depends on the shampoo on how long the color lasts. I bought a box of the new formula (on sale plus with a coupon!) so I am going to try it this weekend and see how it goes.

You know I thought it was me b/c I was getting two weeks tops and then I had to use a root spray or touch up to get 4 weeks out of it. BTW root spray that is good is the L'oreal I used to use the Rita Hazan but it is twice the price and in my opinion no where near as good as the L'oreal (999 vs 2500). To be honest the price would not stop me if the Rita Hazan was better but it is not as good which totally surprised me.

I went to a random CVS today and they had a few boxes of the old formula. Including 1 box of my color - yay!

Totally off topic, but..... I noticed today that the Cover Girl Tru Blend liquid make-up seems to have new packaging (the top of the bottle is different-it is solid white). I had never seen that before. So, I stocked up on a few bottles of the old ones with the old tops. You might want to check it out if you use Tru Blend. (This is how I was able to stock up on the Natural Instincts old formula before it went missing.) Just sayin'!

Wow! See we all thought it was just us as individuals. Thanks so much for this information. The reason I never even realized this was going on was my mom used to stock me up as my gift for all holidays and I had enough for over a year (she passed a year ago). I now understand why they never acknowledged my letter. I will of course be calling the customer care line and speaking directly to a person even though I prefer my opinion in writing.

One of the things they love to say is , "Oh it did not cover b/c you have more that x % (not sure how much) gray. " Which is garbage I have more than x% gray and it always covered well! It is only the roots that need to be covered. I also loved how it turned the hair red. I will be calling and letting you know what bull they give me as an answer.

I called and of course they were very nice and said they would share my concerns today with whomever. SO I said do you have anyone who monitors the internet b/c if you do, you can go to just about any site that talks about beauty and pretty much any site that sells your product and see the horrible reviews. She said we have a social media team that monitors and I wanted to say but did not 'and writes the only good reviews for this product'. I also said before you try to tell me to use a permanent hair color, let me tell you I have been successfully using NI for years and see absolutely no reason why I need a permanent and in fact I did use one and my hair looks like straw. "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter