Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

They’ve backed off of the 10:30 opening time and are now saying “no ETA.” We’re bailing.

Ugh. So frustrating for you. Sorry.

I really think early/mid afternoon is the way to go, or later in the day, when it’s a bit cooler, though not too late because they close the line down at some point. They closed it some time between 7 and 8 pm last week when we were there.

I’d avoid it at rope drop. It seems like it’s down more then it’s up first thing at this point.

What confounds me about the ride and it being down so much is what on earth is causing it? Or why it takes so long to adjust/repair when there are outages.
I mean, you'd think by now they'd know exactly what is needed to get it going after all possible problems. There surely can't be new problems coming up, it's had so many that by now it's had every possible one at least once. Wouldn't they'd have to know exactly what is needed for any possible scenario?
Has any other ride ever had issues of this magnitude (keeping ride down for many hours per day) for so long? At either Uni or Disney?
Anyway, mostly just amazing me that they still can't figure out all its problems.

They’ve backed off of the 10:30 opening time and are now saying “no ETA.” We’re bailing.

Do not blame you. I wonder what went wrong, or what they need to work on, because if it was the moving / removing of carts, I do not know how long it would take, but they would definitely provide an ETA.

Finally back from Florida and our one day trip to IOA. We went to IOA with no intention of trying to get on Hagrid because of all the issues and the long line. Figured that we could do so much more in the 2-3 hours we would be waiting and not even guaranteed to get on. We got to IOA right when it opened and headed over to Forbidden Journey. We got on that ride in 15 minutes. Then after walking around, having some breakfast at Hog's Head and getting a butter beer, we decided to head out to do other rides. Holly cow, the ride waits were long all over the park. So around 2pm we said screw it, if we are going to wait an hour in line for rides we really didn't even care that much to go on, we may has well wait in line for Hagrid. When we got to the entrance it said the wait time was 120 minutes. Knowing from reading previous posts on here where people have said the line is actually shorter than posted times, we decided to hop in line. The ride did go down twice while in line, but only for 10-15 minutes each time. We actually got on the ride in about 75 minutes. Well worth it! That ride was awesome! It made my daughter's day. She was so happy that she didn't even care if we got anything else the rest of the day.

What confounds me about the ride and it being down so much is what on earth is causing it? Or why it takes so long to adjust/repair when there are outages.
I mean, you'd think by now they'd know exactly what is needed to get it going after all possible problems. There surely can't be new problems coming up, it's had so many that by now it's had every possible one at least once. Wouldn't they'd have to know exactly what is needed for any possible scenario?
Has any other ride ever had issues of this magnitude (keeping ride down for many hours per day) for so long? At either Uni or Disney?
Anyway, mostly just amazing me that they still can't figure out all its problems.

The only scenario we have confirmed is sometimes when there is a delay (other than weather) is due to them either adding, or removing / switching carts due to realizing they can increase the capacity, or due to certain carts (I'm assuming) have certain issues, but other do not. It's been theorized that wheels might be the reason as well. Other than that, we have no confirmed reasons for the delays, but have been believe it, or not, seem to have been decreasing.

There were a lot of continued issues on a lot of the rides when Universal Studios first opened. Jaws was the most notorious however, as it got to a point where the ride was closed for a long "refurbishment", Universal hired another company to do the work, and sued the original company who helped build the attraction.

Last edited:
Did they give you passes to return later? They have given those out in the past. Just wondering.

Yeah, a few people on here did say that. Out of curiosity, if you were one of the lucky people who did, did you get those in this type of scenario, or in the afternoon when they close shop early unexpectedly? As I would imagine it would depend on what the situation is and how long guests have waited.

Thanks so much for the live updates. Sorry that it ultimately didn't work out. :( Let us know if you have another chance to ride during your visit!

Almost went today to try to finally ride it. Glad I didn't. May try next week since FL schools are back in session

We rode this afternoon. Got there I guess around 2. It had just stopped raining. We arrived in IOA and saw the wait time was 120 according to the app. Made a dash over there and hopped in line. We were in line about an hour tops.

Absolutely great ride. I am not a roller coaster person at all but being a HP fanatic made it worth the wait and riding a roller coaster! 😂.

Just back from a trip Saturday-Tuesday. It was up and down throughout the time. Didn't try Saturday. We got a late start on Sunday and made it to the park about 1. Was down the whole time. Monday and Tuesday was up while we were there and were able to ride. Looked like wait times averaged 120-210. Weather delays happened.

The first time we rode, we went at 4:45pm on Saturday. Wait time posted was 3 hours. Actual time waiting was 2 hours, 10 minutes. It started raining while we were in line, though, so that might have caused delays?

On Monday, we got in the queue at 1:15pm. Posted wait was 2 hours, 30 minutes (150 minutes). Actual total time in the line was 50 minutes.

The ride, itself, is brilliant! As noted, we rode twice (so everyone in our party could experience both the motorcycle and the sidecar) and, if possible, I think I had more fun the second time because I knew what was coming, where to look, and could relax, look around, and experience more. Everyone in my family made comments that seemed to indicate that they felt the same.

I actually had more fun in the sidecar, as I felt like it took the pressure off or something - I dunno, it was just more relaxing fun. From his grin, I think my husband enjoyed the motorcycle more.

I don't have good things to say about the queue. Single rider was not open either time. I believe they must have closed it at some point, because there were definitely single riders in line when we got to the front. The ride was truly brilliant, so it's possible that I could change my mind - but I told my family that I disliked the queue so much that I did not plan on riding again until they either had Single rider open, or Express. It's not the wait that bothered me - it was all the walking. And, unlike Forbidden Journey or Gringotts, I found the queue to be downright boring and, in many cases, stifling. I'm not claustrophobic, but a person who is will not be able to make it through this queue. Also - both times I went through I had very loud talkers in the party ahead or behind me. So I could not hear what was being said in the last area at all. If there was non-visual theming going on that you had to be able to hear to enjoy, I missed it.

Again, I won't spoil it for anyone, but the ride itself is well thought out and brilliant. Plan to ride it at least twice during your trip.

The first time we rode, we went at 4:45pm on Saturday. Wait time posted was 3 hours. Actual time waiting was 2 hours, 10 minutes. It started raining while we were in line, though, so that might have caused delays?

On Monday, we got in the queue at 1:15pm. Posted wait was 2 hours, 30 minutes (150 minutes). Actual total time in the line was 50 minutes.

The ride, itself, is brilliant! As noted, we rode twice (so everyone in our party could experience both the motorcycle and the sidecar) and, if possible, I think I had more fun the second time because I knew what was coming, where to look, and could relax, look around, and experience more. Everyone in my family made comments that seemed to indicate that they felt the same.

I actually had more fun in the sidecar, as I felt like it took the pressure off or something - I dunno, it was just more relaxing fun. From his grin, I think my husband enjoyed the motorcycle more.

I don't have good things to say about the queue. Single rider was not open either time. I believe they must have closed it at some point, because there were definitely single riders in line when we got to the front. The ride was truly brilliant, so it's possible that I could change my mind - but I told my family that I disliked the queue so much that I did not plan on riding again until they either had Single rider open, or Express. It's not the wait that bothered me - it was all the walking. And, unlike Forbidden Journey or Gringotts, I found the queue to be downright boring and, in many cases, stifling. I'm not claustrophobic, but a person who is will not be able to make it through this queue. Also - both times I went through I had very loud talkers in the party ahead or behind me. So I could not hear what was being said in the last area at all. If there was non-visual theming going on that you had to be able to hear to enjoy, I missed it.

Again, I won't spoil it for anyone, but the ride itself is well thought out and brilliant. Plan to ride it at least twice during your trip.
I agree - the theming isn't much to look at. And to be in that line for so long, it's quite boring. We have a member of our party in a wheelchair and it's really tight in parts should be need to leave quickly. Can't wait for express pass!!! I too love the sidecar better then the motorbike.

random funny interjection. when i was in line to ride (back in the beginning of july) our total wait time was over 4 hours. in perfect timing fashion one of my co-travelers had to use the restroom right around the time we were picking up steam in the middle of the queue. obviously we never rode the ride before so we had no prior knowledge of how much further into the cue we had to go but we already watched the preshow video and were moving pretty steadily..so we knew we were AT LEAST 60% there.

due to how narrow some of the cue areas were mixed with him having to use the bathroom, he started freaking out (everyone we were with were laughing but i'm sure it wasn't a fun time). we kept saying that we've been waiting for so long in the event that he couldn't get back to us in the queue that would be horrible.

Question about the queue—are you supposed to be in the tunnels coming out of Hogwarts?

We found the queue to be interesting enough but having seen it once, I would probably find it boring if I rode again.

I'll have to wait until Fall to know my opinion, but generally to me, it sounded as if you'd have to be a massive Harry Potter fan to really enjoy the queue, as the designer kept raving about all the little Easter eggs they have hidden within the queue itself and I haven't heard anyone talk about them yet. As a fan that is so into Harry Potter, that for one example likes to read the history of the Potter family and the Black family tree, I have a feeling I might like it if that is really true that it's loaded with Easter eggs.

The only Easter egg I've heard of so far is the reference to the dueling dragons.

I'll have to wait until Fall to know my opinion, but generally to me, it sounded as if you'd have to be a massive Harry Potter fan to really enjoy the queue, as the designer kept raving about all the little Easter eggs they have hidden within the queue itself and I haven't heard anyone talk about them yet. As a fan that is so into Harry Potter, that for one example likes to read the history of the Potter family and the Black family tree, I have a feeling I might like it if that is really true that it's loaded with Easter eggs.

The only Easter egg I've heard of so far is the reference to the dueling dragons.

The queue was pretty cool, and I loved the items that I could see, but the indoor sections seemed so dimly lit that it was tough to really see a lot of the details. The workshop section had a ton of stuff in it, but although I loved the overall vibe, I couldn't really tell you much specifically that was there because it was just too dark. I think that contributes to the claustrophobic feeling that some people are getting, too.

We rode this afternoon. Got there I guess around 2. It had just stopped raining. We arrived in IOA and saw the wait time was 120 according to the app. Made a dash over there and hopped in line. We were in line about an hour tops.

Absolutely great ride. I am not a roller coaster person at all but being a HP fanatic made it worth the wait and riding a roller coaster! 😂.

We were there on Tuesday as well. Posted time was 150 minutes, we were off the ride in 60 minutes. Definitely worth the wait. Right now, I would suggest getting in line shortly after the thunderstorms and hope for the best.

There were several that we found. Just have to look really well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter