Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

XM?

Ozzy's Boneyard, Lithium if it's just me in the truck. :worship: :rockband:
If the girls are with me it's either Laugh USA or Radio Disney

Gloria told me that we got a deal on the XM but we can only get Channel 19 (Elvis). What happened to the truck, is the turbo went out. Should be fixed this week.

It it was just me, I will listen to Lithium.

Well glad it was just the turbo, and that it will be fixed. Yes I know some others whom have a one channel radio.

:offtopic: Has anyone stayed at/drove through Sugar Sands RV Resort in Gulf Shores?

Driven past it a million times.

Tried to stay there only once, Denise, but they don't allow popups (back when I had the old Jayco with the canvas bunk ends).

It's relatively new (less than 10 years old), looks very nice, and north of the intracoastal. Very convenient to the Orange Beach toll bridge. Around the corner is Cotton Creek Drive which takes you over to Hwy 59 and the other bridge over the IC to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores (those are the only 2 bridges).

I've heard (but this was soon after they opened) that they ask you to send a picture of your rig while making a reservation to make sure it's not junky. No broken down full-time resident rigs there.

My route for years has been to come into the area on the Foley Beach express and about 100 yards before the bridge is a right hand turn and I zig and zag past Sugar Sands to Cotten Creek and come into Gulf Shores on Hwy 59. It's a little out of the way for me but it's not about the toll. Since the 70s when the toll bridge wasn't there, going to Gulf Shores meant coming into town on the Hwy 59 bridge. When I crest the top of the 59 bridge and I can see the condos lined up in the distance along the beach and the blue city water tanks, that's when I go "ah, made it".

The OB toll bridge charges per axle but they do photo-by-plate too and have passes you can buy for unlimited crossings in varying stay lengths.

There's also a newer RV resort called Bella Terra a little further north just west of the Foley Beach Express. I think it aims more at higher end.

But I would stay at Sugar Sands, Denise.

ED

Last edited:
Driven past it a million times.

Tried to stay there only once, Denise, but they don't allow popups (back when I had the old Jayco with the canvas bunk ends).

It's relatively new (less than 10 years old), looks very nice, and north of the intracoastal. Very convenient to the Orange Beach toll bridge. Around the corner is Cotton Creek Drive which takes you over to Hwy 59 and the other bridge over the IC to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores (those are the only 2 bridges).

I've heard (but this was soon after they opened) that they ask you to send a picture of your rig while making a reservation to make sure it's not junky. No broken down full-time resident rigs there.

My route for years has been to come into the area on the Foley Beach express and about 100 yards before the bridge is a right hand turn and I zig and zag past Sugar Sands to Cotten Creek and come into Gulf Shores on Hwy 59. It's a little out of the way for me but it's not about the toll. Since the 70s when the toll bridge wasn't there, going to Gulf Shores meant coming into town on the Hwy 59 bridge. When I crest the top of the 59 bridge and I can see the condos lined up in the distance along the beach and the blue city water tanks, that's when I go "ah, made it".

The OB toll bridge charges per axle but they do photo-by-plate too and have passes you can buy for unlimited crossings in varying stay lengths.

There's also a newer RV resort called Bella Terra a little further north just east of the Foley Beach Express. I think it aims more at higher end.

But I would stay at Sugar Sands, Denise.

ED
Thanks. They have a work camper program. Looking for a place to stay for winters after retirement.

Exactly what Ed said. Driven by it numerous times in my bypass of the toll bride (bad influence by other Disers).

To me it's too far away from beach, however, I guess if staying there long enough I'd probably want to be further away from the noise.

DW made it through surgery yesterday and is at home resting. Surgery took way longer than they had said so I was pacing the floor. The hospital didn’t have a courtesy phone to get any updates so I finally started flagging people down.

Still hopeful we will make it as long as she is feeling up to making it in and out of the camper. She has her follow up next week so we shall see.

DW made it through surgery yesterday and is at home resting. Surgery took way longer than they had said so I was pacing the floor. The hospital didn’t have a courtesy phone to get any updates so I finally started flagging people down.

Still hopeful we will make it as long as she is feeling up to making it in and out of the camper. She has her follow up next week so we shall see.

So glad everything went well! Prayers for a healthy recovery!

Glad surgery went well. Sorry you had to hunt for updates. Hopefully we'll get to meet you and your DW in a few days.

j

Ok. I'm getting more details, from another local news station, as of now the fire is close to Waterville and has moved south towards Luxury RV Resort for those who are familiar to the GS area. No word just as to if or how close it is to GSP..

Reporting Live... SouthAlabama5er, now by to you Tiggerdad

Yes in the Fox 10 photo here:

5cdb19de9a20f.image.jpg

that ratty pergola thingy is the lot just south of the Waterville Park off Hwy 59 down by Papa Rocco's and the Pizza Hut. I stayed at the "Luxury" RV Park when I did the Half Marathon down there not long ago. So this is nowhere near the campground. Way west across the lake toward Oyster House and Waterville.

I circled the ratty pergola below. Hwy 59 runs along the bottom with the beach to the right.

GulfSP Fire 051419.jpg

In lower right corner the orange roof is the Pizza Hut across from Scoops and Papa Rocco's. The trees at the tip of the arrow are the ones on fire in the first pic.

Reporting live, Ace Cub Reporter Bama Ed.

Back to you, Randy.

ED

PS - fire area circled on left, campground (CG) labelled on right

GulfSP Fire 051419-2.PNG

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm late on the scene. I had to get with my squirrel buddies to get some info. They say it's "Nuts".

Possibly caused by a down powerline. They have already evacuated Luxury Sand Pit, sorry, I mean Luxury RV and closed Hwy 135 which is the main road to GSP that bypasses the "T" in Gulf Shores.

Fox news 10 has several live camera feeds going on.
https://www.fox10tv.com/news/wildfi...cle_f216efee-767f-11e9-916e-abb434fa76ef.html

Live, from a squirrel's nest atop a pine tree, Bert Reynolds, Mustache News.

Yes in the Fox 10 photo here:

5cdb19de9a20f.image.jpg

that ratty pergola thingy is the lot just south of the Waterville Park off Hwy 59 down by Papa Rocco's and the Pizza Hut. I stayed at the "Luxury" RV Park when I did the Half Marathon down there not long ago. So this is nowhere near the campground. Way west across the lake toward Oyster House and Waterville.

I circled the ratty pergola below. Hwy 59 runs along the bottom with the beach to the right.

View attachment 400829

In lower right corner the orange roof is the Pizza Hut across from Scoops and Papa Rocco's. The trees at the tip of the arrow are the ones on fire in the first pic.

Reporting live, Ace Cub Reporter Bama Ed.

Back to you, Randy.

ED

PS - fire area circled on left, campground (CG) labelled on right

View attachment 400850

Love the people in the first picture, oblivious to one of the two things a human can not out run. Fire is the first one, and a black bear is the other. I know how fast that field of grass will burn.

Love the people in the first picture, oblivious to one of the two things a human can not out run. Fire is the first one, and a black bear is the other. I know how fast that field of grass will burn.

And squirrels, don't forget squirrels.

Hopefully it didn't and won't cross the road and threaten the park area. It would be sad to loose some of the new trails and bridges. BishopArc I am glad the wife is home and recovering. I look forward to meeting you both and wish her a speedy recovery. I will be on standby to help any way I can. Oh and first class reporting to all our field reporters and squirrels.

My check in is one week from today. YIKES. Is anyone else getting excited. I have to start prepacking today. Have to change out Halloween stuff for Summer stuff and preclean inside camper again now that I got the minor mold sanitized. Tomorrow after my medical tests and lunch I will pull it out clean and treat the roof and wash the exterior. Then I have to drive around the neighborhood and test my new brake controller. I had a Prodigy but it always seemed questionable so I just bought a Reese. Hopefully this one works better. I had put the same one in for my neighbor and it felt good on his truck. On a side note any bets I could pull double towing my 4x8 utility trailer without getting a ticket ? I want to bring too many big things and don't want to make 2 trips each way. Maybe Randy can come by and get my extra stuff. LOL

Joe what do you need hauled over? Patrick and myself both will have extra room in the garages. Just let me know Joe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter