Guarantee Status vs. IGT/OGT/VGT

we booked Cat 6a "GTY" a couple months ago for a cruise in Feb 2015...just found out our room # (53 days out) it's Cat 5C!! Yayyy!!

Scott

I'm pretty sure I understand what *GT bookings are and how they work. My only question whether we would ever be able to take advantage of this as a family of 5 in one stateroom. I know that some of the categories include rooms that hold five, but we would need at cat 4 specifically, right? So does that mean it would just never be offered to me if I am searching for 2 adults, 3 children, or that by finding and booking one I would automatically end up with a room that sleeps 5 because I'd have to list all of the travelers at booking?

We were able to book an OGT when they first started coming out with them, this was on the Fantasy, the problem is there are really less than 20 (don't quote me) rooms that fit 5...so they book quickly. A VGT will be your best bet, or two inside staterooms and put an adult in each room. We did two insides when they had kids sail free one year and and they upgraded us to verandah connecting..we've also had two insides and not been upgraded...but it was nice to have the extra room...maybe not so fun splitting up parents..but our kids were teenagers so they were fine :)

Are people who book IGT/OGT/VGT able to participate in Fish Extender exchanges since they are without room numbers until close to departure?

Are people who book IGT/OGT/VGT able to participate in Fish Extender exchanges since they are without room numbers until close to departure?

Absolutely! We always give our updated room number out to whomever is sending out the master list, generally a master list is sent out a few days before sailing, even then, our group had our rooms changed at port to get connecting, easy to email the group with the updates :)

Hi!

Are *GT rates always around 20% of the current rate or can they be even higher, i.e. 40%?

Thanks!

Looking to book for May and I don't see any of the GTs available does that mean there are none for this sailing which is about 130 days out or should I wait?

how do you find out when DCL assigns you a room? do you have to keep checking the reservation or do you get an email?

Ths for the explanation! I booked the GTY for Feb 6 and still do not know the sr number. How often do they upgrade the staterooms or ever?

Hi!

Are *GT rates always around 20% of the current rate or can they be even higher, i.e. 40%?

Thanks!

When they first came out I think I saw the best GT rates around 30% off the best rate. If it's a high season sailing, you might save 15-20% if they offer them at all. If it's a low season rate, they typically will start dropping their regular rates as it nears the 75 day mark, so that when they do offer GT it's still only about a 20% savings at best. Hope that makes sense!

Looking to book for May and I don't see any of the GTs available does that mean there are none for this sailing which is about 130 days out or should I wait?

GT rates will not come out until the paid in full date of 75 days before the sailing..I am holding out for the May 16th cruise and the PIF date is March 2nd...once all those are cleared, then you'll start seeing GT rates pop up with usually VGT first at about the 50-70 day mark then IGT and OGT open up around the 30-45 day mark. One September cruise, they did not open up VGT until 30 days so I kind of freaked and bit the bullet and booked 2 VGT, but within 10 days, the IGT/OGT opened up and could have saved me another thousand...but it's a nerve wracking waiting game :)

how do you find out when DCL assigns you a room? do you have to keep checking the reservation or do you get an email?

It would be WONDERFUL if they sent you an email or text as soon as it is booked but for now, you must log into your Disney account with DCL and look to see if a room number pops up :) For Gty they can pop up anywhere from your booking to 10-15 days before you sail, but for GT..you usually find out within the last 10 days.

Ths for the explanation! I booked the GTY for Feb 6 and still do not know the sr number. How often do they upgrade the staterooms or ever?

You should know it now!! What did you get?? Can you share with us when they posted your stateroom, it might help poster above, but for sure before the 10 day mark, right? :)

Newbie here (to DIS and cruises) :P
When I originally booked.. I got a room number in the email confirmation .. but found it wasn't where I was wanting to be (it was on deck 2 .. eww! .. (wrong 'deck') and when I called back to change it.. I got the 'area' I wanted (6, 7, 8) but then didn't get a room number.

It would be WONDERFUL if they sent you an email or text as soon as it is booked but for now, you must log into your Disney account with DCL and look to see if a room number pops up :) For Gty they can pop up anywhere from your booking to 10-15 days before you sail, but for GT..you usually find out within the last 10 days.

I was told by DCL Customer Service a couple of days ago that we will get an auto-generated email when our room number is determined. I still check regularly anyway. :D

I was told by DCL Customer Service a couple of days ago that we will get an auto-generated email when our room number is determined. I still check regularly anyway. :D

If they're doing that, it's brand new as no one I know (including me) has gotten an email JUST with the number. I got a more general "tips to help make your cruise great" email that *happened* to have the cabin number listed on it, but it was not sent for the purpose of saying "Here's your cabin number." and I'd already found my number anyway by then! :)

SO im confused with the GTY's.. is there any befit to doing this at all?

:welcome: to the DISboards!

GTY carries no particular benefit, other than you are booking a room on the cruise and know it will be at a certain category (possibly higher). This is not a discount. It's just how DCL classifies the category after a certain percentage of staterooms have been booked, allowing for some flexibility in room assignments.

*GTs (IGT, OGT and VGT) are discounted rates. Depending on the specific cruise, it may or may not be less than opening day rates but is definitely a savings over a regular booking done at that same time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would want book IGT/OGT/VGT??? This is really confusing…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter