Grand Californian

Can anyone staying at the Grand confirm that Hearthstone Lounge is now open early in the morning for limited service (coffee, tea, etc.) I'm part of a Grand FB group and there seems to be conflicting reports. Everything I've found indicates it doesn't open until 4 p.m. daily.
Those penny-pinching morons in management closed the morning coffee a couple of years ago. They claim the crap coffee served at Craftsman Grill is a worthy substitute. It is also completely roped off in the morning so you can no longer sip your morning coffee by the small fireplace. >:(

Thanks for the help. I did make my reservation online, but when I log in at that site it says, "We're sorry. Additional payments are not allowed for room reservations. Please pay your balance at the hotel upon check-in." I was really hoping to make payments in advance, but it doesn't seem like I can for the hotel only. I wonder if calling will help? Thanks again.

Yes, you can make additional payments but you have to call and speak to someone. I had over $1000 in Disney Visa Rewards redemption money that I wanted applied to our room only Grand reservation and I was able to call in and apply it about a week before our check in date. You can call at anytime and make a payment in any amount you want.

Those penny-pinching morons in management closed the morning coffee a couple of years ago. They claim the crap coffee served at Craftsman Grill is a worthy substitute. It is also completely roped off in the morning so you can no longer sip your morning coffee by the small fireplace. >:(
This makes me sad ... I never got to experience it. I guess I will be ordering offsite coffee during my upcoming stay.

Last edited:
Based on a stay this past Fri/Sat (Jul 16/17) The security line at GCH to DCA opened at 7:30am. The line moved incredibly quickly. Craftsmans was open for breakfast, and many folks took their breakfast over to the breezeway lounge area to eat outdoors at tables. Technically, that area is closed since the lounge is closed, but I never saw folx asked to leave. (That was between 8-10am -ish, they might get more adamant closer to lounge opening.) Hearthstone lounge was "no entry - closed" in the morning, so I can (sadly) confirm prior post.

The registration line moved quickly and was never long the times we were there. Admittedly, we could have just been incredibly lucky, or just didn't pass through the lobby often enough to see a long line. The toiletry amenities are still the individual tubes, so the big pumps haven't yet infiltrated the cash stay portion of the hotel.... I don't know if they're elsewhere in the resort.

My favourite spot of the resort is the area I call the "Haven Hideaway." With registration on your right, exit the lobby. Take a left and discover a hearth area with tables, chairs and outlets. It used to be a wedding area, you can still see the paved aisles for the parties to walk. In the morning, with your back to the hearth, there are several hummingbirds that flit to and fro from the trees in the center and right. There were butterflies and a few honeybees. Mostly hummingbirds. That was between 7-8a during a period where the dew was just evaporating from the morning sun. A lovely haven to enjoy a quiet spot of nature and morning cuppa.

Overall, it was a great first time stay. I definitely felt the "Disney bubble" much more in GC than DL or PP. Thanks all for your posts to help first timers and returning guests!

Based on a stay this past Fri/Sat (Jul 16/17) The security line at GCH to DCA opened at 7:30am. The line moved incredibly quickly. Craftsmans was open for breakfast, and many folks took their breakfast over to the breezeway lounge area to eat outdoors at tables. Technically, that area is closed since the lounge is closed, but I never saw folx asked to leave. (That was between 8-10am -ish, they might get more adamant closer to lounge opening.) Hearthstone lounge was "no entry - closed" in the morning, so I can (sadly) confirm prior post.

The registration line moved quickly and was never long the times we were there. Admittedly, we could have just been incredibly lucky, or just didn't pass through the lobby often enough to see a long line. The toiletry amenities are still the individual tubes, so the big pumps haven't yet infiltrated the cash stay portion of the hotel.... I don't know if they're elsewhere in the resort.

My favourite spot of the resort is the area I call the "Haven Hideaway." With registration on your right, exit the lobby. Take a left and discover a hearth area with tables, chairs and outlets. It used to be a wedding area, you can still see the paved aisles for the parties to walk. In the morning, with your back to the hearth, there are several hummingbirds that flit to and fro from the trees in the center and right. There were butterflies and a few honeybees. Mostly hummingbirds. That was between 7-8a during a period where the dew was just evaporating from the morning sun. A lovely haven to enjoy a quiet spot of nature and morning cuppa.

Overall, it was a great first time stay. I definitely felt the "Disney bubble" much more in GC than DL or PP. Thanks all for your posts to help first timers and returning guests!
I love this place, too! Last time I was there, though, there were several smokers which I didn't enjoy as I am not a smoker myself.

I love this place, too! Last time I was there, though, there were several smokers which I didn't enjoy as I am not a smoker myself.
I thought Disneyland was smoke-free now? Did they change something since this: The Disneyland Resort makes updates from time to time and the removal of smokingareas is intended to provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone who visits. Beginning May 1, smoking and vaping are not permitted in our theme parks, the Esplanade between the parks or in the Downtown Disney District.Oct 7, 2019

I thought Disneyland was smoke-free now? Did they change something since this: The Disneyland Resort makes updates from time to time and the removal of smokingareas is intended to provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone who visits. Beginning May 1, smoking and vaping are not permitted in our theme parks, the Esplanade between the parks or in the Downtown Disney District.Oct 7, 2019
None of those explicitly named places are on the hotel grounds. The balconies were awful in the late evening with smokers. We couldn't stay outside, but maybe our timing was off and we "got lucky" with a ton of smokers on the balconies...

None of those explicitly named places are on the hotel grounds. The balconies were awful in the late evening with smokers. We couldn't stay outside, but maybe our timing was off and we "got lucky" with a ton of smokers on the balconies...

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/smoking/
All Disneyland Resort Hotels are non-smoking, including the outdoor common areas and balconies. No one should be smoking anywhere on resort property. I didn’t experience any issues with people smoking during our stay, but it doesn’t mean people weren’t breaking the rules. It’s unfortunate when people smoke in places like their hotel balconies, it affects everyone around them.

WHY have they not brought back daily housekeeping?? This really frustrated me with our full priced stay a few weeks ago. If they say it is a COVID risk to clean my room, I will ask them how that is a risk but me and 20,000 people in the theme park is less of/not a risk. Hotels across the country continue to fill their hotels, charge full price and then not clean the rooms at all. Yes, I can vote with my wallet and refuse to stay at these hotels, but since they are all doing it, I am not sure where I would stay if traveling...

Thanks for the help. I did make my reservation online, but when I log in at that site it says, "We're sorry. Additional payments are not allowed for room reservations. Please pay your balance at the hotel upon check-in." I was really hoping to make payments in advance, but it doesn't seem like I can for the hotel only. I wonder if calling will help? Thanks again.

What I do is purchase Disney Gift Cards at Target and get the 5% off, combine them, $1000 max per card, and pay the balance when I check in to the hotel.

WHY have they not brought back daily housekeeping?? This really frustrated me with our full priced stay a few weeks ago. If they say it is a COVID risk to clean my room, I will ask them how that is a risk but me and 20,000 people in the theme park is less of/not a risk. Hotels across the country continue to fill their hotels, charge full price and then not clean the rooms at all. Yes, I can vote with my wallet and refuse to stay at these hotels, but since they are all doing it, I am not sure where I would stay if traveling...
OSHA has rules now, but they are loosening. GCH does expect to have housekeeping back in the next couple months. My understanding is Club level rooms will start daily housekeeping in Aug.

This issue is the employees being in too close quarters to each other. And coming back at a slower rate and having trainings still before they come back.

OSHA has rules now, but they are loosening. GCH does expect to have housekeeping back in the next couple months. My understanding is Club level rooms will start daily housekeeping in Aug.

This issue is the employees being in too close quarters to each other. And coming back at a slower rate and having trainings still before they come back.
We just got back last night from a six night stay at the Grand. A full trip report is forthcoming, but I will say we got full housekeeping everyday except one, without having to ask. Turn down service too. I’m not sure why but I was very pleasantly surprised.

We just got back last night from a six night stay at the Grand. A full trip report is forthcoming, but I will say we got full housekeeping everyday except one, without having to ask. Turn down service too. I’m not sure why but I was very pleasantly surprised.
Good to know. We got home from 4 nights Monday, 5th floor, 200 wing. We got every other day service.

The Disneyland Resort is smoke-free now. A member of our party had to go to the sidewalk on Disneyland Drive (near the crosswalk in front of Grand Californian) to smoke, along with any cast members on that side of the resort. There is no cigarette receptacle, so the place is littered with cigarette butts. I think that the people at the Disneyland Hotel are supposed to go beyond the parking lots to smoke. I'm not a smoker, but I do feel badly for the people that do smoke and have no place to sit, no shade, nor a cigarette bin to dispose of their cigarette butts. I think Disney should have some type of accommodation for them.

With the security line opening at 7:30a, and if you got there at 7:30a how long did it take to get into DCA? We are staying at GCH this weekend ourselves.

Based on what I saw, the line moved very quickly. However, it did look like the line started queuing about 30-40min ahead... so if the line opens at 7:30a, you'll be behind folks. I don't know what the hours are now, however. So you may want to check the circumstance when you arrive.

We just got back and what we found is that if you get to the GCH entrance about 10-15 min before park opening, there was zero line, you zipped in and could either queue up for Soarin' or you could be corralled at rope drop for either side. The rope drop for for the Pier side stopped you right at Little Mermaid, so it was a cinch to go over and do Incredicoaster or TSMM a few times in a row. We were not at the front of rope drop, but there weren't enough people on that side that it made much of a difference. We were so glad we didn't get in line at 7:00-7:15 just to get 20 people ahead at rope drop.

This may be a silly question but I have googled and cannot find the answer--where do guests at GC enter DL park? I know there is a dedicated entrance to DCA but where do we go for DL. I'm sure the answer is so obvious that it doesn't bear a mention but we are first timers and I can't figure this out. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter