• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian

Somewhere around p 26 there are some great maps of the hotel. They're several years old but still a great resource

Honestly that whole thread is a great resource! I'm trying to figure out where the courtyard/woods view rooms would be and if they are close-ish to Craftsman Grill.

Honestly that whole thread is a great resource! I'm trying to figure out where the courtyard/woods view rooms would be and if they are close-ish to Craftsman Grill.

They are not all close to the Grill. They are in a sort of rectangle off the main lobby and the walk can either be very short or VERY long, depending on which wing you get. We had a corner room at the end of a wing with a Courtyard View in 2019 and it was a hike from everything. We also had one in 2008 that was right off the lobby elevators and very convenient. You can also end up in the wing closer to Napa Rose which would be closer to the Grill.

They are not all close to the Grill. They are in a sort of rectangle off the main lobby and the walk can either be very short or VERY long, depending on which wing you get. We had a corner room at the end of a wing with a Courtyard View in 2019 and it was a hike from everything. We also had one in 2008 that was right off the lobby elevators and very convenient. You can also end up in the wing closer to Napa Rose which would be closer to the Grill.

Thank you - much appreciated!

Has anyone stayed at the Grand since the parks started opening at 8 AM? Wondering what time they are letting the hotel guests through security and if they still get a slight head start. Thanks!

A hotel charging $900 a night for a Marriott-quality room can't find a way to check people in in a matter of minutes? I hate to be so negative, but it isn't as if they just opened after the pandemic. They have been open for weeks now. If they can't staff properly by now, they are simply not paying competitive rates, which Disney can afford. If it wasn't for the location, the hotel would be out of business by now. If I were management of the hotel, I would be embarrassed and personally down there finding ways to fix the problem, every single day. If that meant my senior management for the hotel was working the front desk at busy times, then that's what we would do until we were staffed properly.

I am growing tired of paying Disney prices for less and less value. All this talk from the executives about how they want to shift the parks to offering premium experiences for the big money, and they can't even manage a premium hotel as one would expect for the price. I hope they realize that premium experience doesn't just mean you charge a fortune for a sub-par experience with the Disney name slapped on it.

Please make sure Disney gets your feedback about the checking process.

You have said everything I have wanted to say! Thank you.

Just wanted to say we checked in around 11:45am on Friday, July 2 and walked right up to the front desk and were checked in and on our way up to our ready room within 5 minutes. When we got there and called bell services for our bags, they arrived in under 5 minutes as well. Super efficient all around.

Just got back from my first GCV stay and I'm absolutely spoiled by the Grand now.

So much so..already booked a 4 night stay on the hotel side using the summer discount. Kind of close to what I paid per night renting points at DVC site, so looking forward to it.
I'll try to do a better review later but I absolutely fell in love with the rooms and convenience of it all.
Worth every penny to me and all the overtime lol.

I believe GC likes you to check in and gain the experience over the efficiency of web checkin. It's like doubletree- check in ; get a cookie type of mentality.

After the first time of being annoyed, we just learned to go with the nice welcome home feeling and found the groove.

love hanging out on the terrace/lobby and people watch.

Has anyone stayed at the Grand since the parks started opening at 8 AM? Wondering what time they are letting the hotel guests through security and if they still get a slight head start. Thanks!
We stayed at PPH but the DTD and GCH entrance into DTD both opened at 7:02. The Harbor side security opened at 7:15.
The ticket entry gates opened at 7:30 and everyone held at rope drop until park opening exactly at 8:00.

We stayed at PPH but the DTD and GCH entrance into DTD both opened at 7:02. The Harbor side security opened at 7:15.
The ticket entry gates opened at 7:30 and everyone held at rope drop until park opening exactly at 8:00.
Thank you!!

I believe GC likes you to check in and gain the experience over the efficiency of web checkin. It's like doubletree- check in ; get a cookie type of mentality.

After the first time of being annoyed, we just learned to go with the nice welcome home feeling and found the groove.

love hanging out on the terrace/lobby and people watch.

I enjoyed the personal feeling and even with a line about 8 people deep it moved fast at 8am on Thursday.
I was absolutely blown away when the CM checking us in not only listened to my stress induced venting ( Nothing about Disney at all or experience , just exhaustion and stress from missing ROTR BG for someone ) but explained it was my birthday trip and first stay here , provided me a button and explained I hope I can get in for the noon ROTR group , casually asked if our tickets were already linked in the DL app. I didn't think anything of it until he said he loaded two ROTR BG passes on the app for us,, I legitimately started crying, because my bf had never been back since it opened and felt like I failed him after never missing a group in 30 plus times.

I NEVER would have asked for this pixie dust and Jimmy at the GCH is amazing for listening and being so empathetic to me.
Even though our room wasn't able to ready early and until 3pm , I was beyond grateful.

I enjoyed the personal feeling and even with a line about 8 people deep it moved fast at 8am on Thursday.
I was absolutely blown away when the CM checking us in not only listened to my stress induced venting ( Nothing about Disney at all or experience , just exhaustion and stress from missing ROTR BG for someone ) but explained it was my birthday trip and first stay here , provided me a button and explained I hope I can get in for the noon ROTR group , casually asked if our tickets were already linked in the DL app. I didn't think anything of it until he said he loaded two ROTR BG passes on the app for us,, I legitimately started crying, because my bf had never been back since it opened and felt like I failed him after never missing a group in 30 plus times.

I NEVER would have asked for this pixie dust and Jimmy at the GCH is amazing for listening and being so empathetic to me.
Even though our room wasn't able to ready early and until 3pm , I was beyond grateful.

What a great story! I've stayed at all 3 DLR hotels numerous times, but the staff at the Grand is the absolute BEST anywhere on property, hands down. No matter where you are at the Grand, the CMs are incredible.

Can someone remind me when we can do online checkin? Can’t remember. TIA!
I believe it is 4 days before check in.
At least my on line check in is grayed out and says will be available on the date that is 4 days before. :)

We have a 4 night reservation in Aug for me and my 2 girls. Just found out we will have a friend join us. She has already purchased her park tickets on her own. Should I go ahead and add her to our room reservation? Does it really matter?

We have a 4 night reservation in Aug for me and my 2 girls. Just found out we will have a friend join us. She has already purchased her park tickets on her own. Should I go ahead and add her to our room reservation? Does it really matter?
If she wants to use the pool you need to add her name. I would do it at check in and maybe they won’t charge.

Here is a map of the Grand Californian Hotel (I just got back today). I circled the elevator in red that is closest to the restaurants, including the Craftsman Grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter