Grand Californian Super Thread

You're going to find varying opinions on this one, but for me, it depends on what rides are a priority and if I'm able to leave my room a little earlier.

If Guardians or Webslingers is my priority, I stick to the main entrance as they are closer once you enter the park. I line up around 6:30-6:40am at security at the GCH entrance to DTD, and I'm always at the front or close to the front of the DCA turnstiles.

When I have gone through the GCH entrance directly into DCA, it's usually because my EE priority was Soarin or Incredicoaster. I'm in line before 6:30am so I'm at the front of the line. If I get there at 6:30am or after, the line always seem way long, and it's been hit or miss on when they start letting us through and how organized the lines forming are - but I've heard others have great success.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much for this! In the end, we never did early entry for DCA — we were on a mission to do Peter Pan and it had been down the day before during early entry so we decided to use the time to rope drop disneyland with the masses. Still not sure I understand the logic of waiting an hour before park open to shave 20 minutes off a line but, Disney Math is a thing 🤣.

Grand Californian was AMAZING. Such a special indulgence. Thanks for all the tips here in this thread!

If I have something called an Artisan Suite booked (via AbD) what does that correlate to on the direct booking website for GC? I’m seeing a variety of suite options, but none by that name.

Followup questions…
Where are they generally located in terms of view and convenience?
Is there a good room request to put in for one?
Do they include club lounge access?

Thanks!

"Artisan Suites" are the standard suites you see listed online. Essentially regular bedrooms with living spaces attached, unlike the various "Signature Suites" which are opulent and uniquely-themed. I'm sure others can recommend locations and/or post the map showing locations. View isn't that important to me at the GCH, so I never stress about that--sorry!

Unless your AbD confirmation says the room includes club lounge access, Artisan Suites typically do not come with it.

I know you can't bring inflatables/rafts into the pools at the Grand Californian. But are kids allowed to bring any types of toys into the pool?

So, been a couple years since we visited DL and stayed a couple nights at GC since we were on our way to Aulani. I'm thinking about going back and getting a room at GC. I had some reservations and hesitations though.

We enjoyed the hotel, but the night we left. Music at DCA was playing til 3am...and we had an early flight. It just sounds like a live band or something on the loudest possible setting. We didn't sleep at all and flew to Aulani that morning. I hope it was just a fluke and going again will be fine.

I'm only nervous, since the cost per night is outrageous, and I really would like to sleep at night! LOL.

I was so tired and exhausted, I'm not sure if it was a dream or if it all happened. My other family members didn't say anything about it. Was it a really bad dream???

Oh well. Anyone have a similar experience? lately? We were in a courtyard view and could easily see Soarin'.

TIA

So, been a couple years since we visited DL and stayed a couple nights at GC since we were on our way to Aulani. I'm thinking about going back and getting a room at GC. I had some reservations and hesitations though.

We enjoyed the hotel, but the night we left. Music at DCA was playing til 3am...and we had an early flight. It just sounds like a live band or something on the loudest possible setting. We didn't sleep at all and flew to Aulani that morning. I hope it was just a fluke and going again will be fine.

I'm only nervous, since the cost per night is outrageous, and I really would like to sleep at night! LOL.

I was so tired and exhausted, I'm not sure if it was a dream or if it all happened. My other family members didn't say anything about it. Was it a really bad dream???

Oh well. Anyone have a similar experience? lately? We were in a courtyard view and could easily see Soarin'.

TIA
Yes!! We have had the same thing happen. When we checked in, we thought we were so lucky to have such a great view of DCA. And then they had a private party that night….ugh. It was so loud that we couldn’t sleep. And we have had loud sink gurgling noises randomly at night on all of our trips. We still love the hotel, but it does have some issues.

...Still not sure I understand the logic of waiting an hour before park open to shave 20 minutes off a line but, Disney Math is a thing 🤣.
I'm a big fan of Rope Drop, that said, I'll take time to get coffee first, and often am at the back of the group at opening, I still have time for a lot of rides, do not get run over in the first rush, and feel like being at the gate 20-30 minutes before opening is definitely good enough. I just want to be sure I'm inside for the welcome to Disneyland speech. I love that part.

When were you there? I know music goes on late and is loud during grad nights or special events at DCA. I also know they sometimes rehearse parades at night, but the hotel will usually slip you note to warn you.

When were you there? I know music goes on late and is loud during grad nights or special events at DCA. I also know they sometimes rehearse parades at night, but the hotel will usually slip you note to warn you.
Hello, I’m not sure if you’re asking me or the person that I was responding to. We usually go in late May or early June, so I know that those trips fall during grad nights. When I called the front desk after hearing loud music past 1 am, I was told that it was a private party so they had no control over when it ended or the volume. A note means nothing to me since I don’t sleep with earplugs at home and sure don’t pay money to have to use them on vacation. I’m honestly fine with it until about 1 am since I understand parties, but feel like anything later is really intrusive for hotel guests….and yes I’m old so stay off my lawn lol!

I can't stand noise either. I actually have misophonia so some sounds drive me insane. It's one of the hardest things for me at hotels so I am a bit nervous where ever I stay. I've heard at the Grand Californian, the rooms that aren't facing DCA aren't noisy so I'm hoping to always get those rooms instead (though we're DVC so there aren't many options so we'll see.) We are purposely avoiding grad nights though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We also travel with a couple white noise machines which can help with some sounds but not all.

My loudest Anaheim area hotel experience (so far) has been on Harbor. We were at the Desert Inn and could hear loud music from a rooftop bar a couple hotels away. It drove me crazy!

I can't stand noise either. I actually have misophonia so some sounds drive me insane. It's one of the hardest things for me at hotels so I am a bit nervous where ever I stay. I've heard at the Grand Californian, the rooms that aren't facing DCA aren't noisy so I'm hoping to always get those rooms instead (though we're DVC so there aren't many options so we'll see.) We are purposely avoiding grad nights though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We also travel with a couple white noise machines which can help with some sounds but not all.

My loudest Anaheim area hotel experience (so far) has been on Harbor. We were at the Desert Inn and could hear loud music from a rooftop bar a couple hotels away. It drove me crazy!
I totally feel you. I was way more annoyed than any of my other family members. We are also DVC members, so I know that the choices are limited. Now I always hope for a crappy view, lol.

TIA
I've never had that happen, but I usually go in Dec, Jan, April, July, and Nov lol. I have seen other people mention that they had very loud, ongoing music from DCA that kept them awake. Someone once mentioned they were testing, others have said it was the after hours DCA maintenance people, private parties, etc. I don't know but I don't think it's a frequent thing.

What I would recommend is to request a room that is not on the DCA side. I'm trying to work out how a Courtyard room would have had that level of noise from DCA...I would not have thought it would carry over, or at least not at such a volume. Anyway, maybe go to the desk when you check in and let them know you don't want an experience like that again.

I have also heard that the rooms right above DTD can get noisy, but at least that will stop after the parks close.

I'm sorry that happened to you but if it's any consolation, I've stayed many, many times and in most room types over the past decade or so and have never experienced what you described, so I don't think it's a common thing.

I've never had that happen, but I usually go in Dec, Jan, April, July, and Nov lol. I have seen other people mention that they had very loud, ongoing music from DCA that kept them awake. Someone once mentioned they were testing, others have said it was the after hours DCA maintenance people, private parties, etc. I don't know but I don't think it's a frequent thing.

What I would recommend is to request a room that is not on the DCA side. I'm trying to work out how a Courtyard room would have had that level of noise from DCA...I would not have thought it would carry over, or at least not at such a volume. Anyway, maybe go to the desk when you check in and let them know you don't want an experience like that again.

I have also heard that the rooms right above DTD can get noisy, but at least that will stop after the parks close.

I'm sorry that happened to you but if it's any consolation, I've stayed many, many times and in most room types over the past decade or so and have never experienced what you described, so I don't think it's a common thing.

My experience has been similar. But the quietest room I have had was the courtyard, so I don't get it either. The second best was the one the faces the Disneyland hotel, near the end of the hall, because it is mostly just trees out front and a pretty quiet area.

This is me as well. There are so many sounds that make me want to scream, although that would be counterproductive under the circumstances :P. It seems to be getting worse as I get older, which I guess on the bright side means I'm not going deaf yet. It's not just sound, either--I can't take really bright lights and especially flashing lights. In my case, I think it's because I have had a long history of terrible migraines that started when I was 5. The funny thing is that I don't often get headaches now but all of the other sensory disturbances are still there.

Edited to add that DL seems like an odd choice for someone like me, doesn't it?! I used to have a terrible time as a kid and almost always had to leave early. Luckily, my grandma lived a few miles away, and now there are some very effective migraine meds.

This is me as well. There are so many sounds that make me want to scream, although that would be counterproductive under the circumstances :P. It seems to be getting worse as I get older, which I guess on the bright side means I'm not going deaf yet. It's not just sound, either--I can't take really bright lights and especially flashing lights. In my case, I think it's because I have had a long history of terrible migraines that started when I was 5. The funny thing is that I don't often get headaches now but all of the other sensory disturbances are still there.

Edited to add that DL seems like an odd choice for someone like me, doesn't it?! I used to have a terrible time as a kid and almost always had to leave early. Luckily, my grandma lived a few miles away, and now there are some very effective migraine meds.

Have you tried white noise on a phone or white noise machine? We can't sleep at most hotels without fairly loud white noise in the background.

Have you tried white noise on a phone or white noise machine? We can't sleep at most hotels without fairly loud white noise in the background.
You know, I haven't! Well, I've put my earbuds in (no sound), LOL! Thank you for the suggestion. Did it take some getting used to? Because my daughter used to bring a machine that was set to "ocean waves" or something like that for my baby grandson and I couldn't stop listening to the pattern repeats...it drove me crazy, ha ha!

You know, I haven't! Well, I've put my earbuds in (no sound), LOL! Thank you for the suggestion. Did it take some getting used to? Because my daughter used to bring a machine that was set to "ocean waves" or something like that for my baby grandson and I couldn't stop listening to the pattern repeats...it drove me crazy, ha ha!
Yes, it did. But we use one that just plays one continuous noise, so it didn't take long. It's surprising how much noise it can drown out and makes the room seem familiar if you sleep with it at home for a bit too.

I sleep with white noise at home because even the sound of my husband breathing bothers me when I'm trying to fall asleep. 😁

On vacation, these days we actually bring 2 white noise machines so we can put one on both sides of the bed or room. They seem to help drown out a fair amount of noises. We use ones that have several levels of white noise to choose from...some 'lighter' and some sound a bit deeper. It's a continuous sound so there's no loop or anything like that.

I actually just bought a really tiny white noise machine to try on our next trip. I'm hopeful it's good because it's smaller than my usual one I bring. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51Q63w+jdtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TIA
We had to have been in the same spot as you (down two long hallways, facing Grizzly Peak, adjacent to Soarin') in October 2022 and had that experience. It was awful, they kept playing one song on a loop until 3-4am. I'm not sure a white noise machine would have helped much. It was loud and you could feel the base somewhat in the room, though the base wasn't that bad. We never have trouble with any kind of traffic noise across the street, downtown Disney noise when staying in a room facing DtD at DLH, but that night at the GCH was so bad.

We had to have been in the same spot as you (down two long hallways, facing Grizzly Peak, adjacent to Soarin') in October 2022 and had that experience. It was awful, they kept playing one song on a loop until 3-4am. I'm not sure a white noise machine would have helped much. It was loud and you could feel the base somewhat in the room, though the base wasn't that bad. We never have trouble with any kind of traffic noise across the street, downtown Disney noise when staying in a room facing DtD at DLH, but that night at the GCH was so bad.
I remember reading your post about that! It sounded horrible. Were you in a Courtyard room or a Theme Park room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter